What's new

Chinese men protest customs duty on cellphones — by lying on floor at Islamabad airport

Shahzaz ud din

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Chinese men protest customs duty on cellphones — by lying on floor at Islamabad airport
Two Chinese passengers on Friday found a unique way to register their protest against the customs duty they were made to pay for bringing in several cellphones: lying on the floor at the Islamabad International Airport.

5c4b1b81395af.jpg

The episode, which made for an interesting spectacle, took place after the two Chinese men – Lian Zhehfu and Lei Zhentao — landed in Islamabad from Urumqi via China Southern Airlines flight CZ6007.

After exiting the aircraft, the two men were stopped at a customs counter. Because they were carrying six cellphones, they were made to pay $285 in duties and taxes on four of the handsets.

As per the 'mobile tax policy' announced by the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf government, foreign visitors and travellers returning to Pakistan can bring in one handset duty-free; for any additional devices, they must pay the applicable taxes to avail service in the country beyond 30 days.

But after paying the amount, the two Chinese passengers lay on the exit gate of the international arrival lounge to protest the duty they were charged. They took the stance that because they travel to Pakistan several times a year, they should not have to pay the duty each time they bring in more than one cellphone.

The pair ended their protest only after Airport Security Force personnel informed them that their concerns would be forwarded to the relevant ministry.
Source

Extra usage on our telecom system I guess.
Also, makes for a good security since you register each and every one of them personally and are in track of it.

telecom benefits from this.

absolute bull shit just for pesay pocketing. Majority people have two phones nowadays one for work and one for family, sometimes a third for backup just incase some hungry rishwat wala can be rewarded like a dog, that is given abone.

Money making scam by the government. Just like 10% Zardari tax, phone top up tax. I could understand if one person bought a bag full but what's the problem with 4odd phones.

no. around 3 billions usd we spent on phons..it hurts our foreign reserves badly.. second pakistani government is forceing those companies that they should build mobile phon in pakistan rather only assembling
They cannot build phones in Pakistan when our education system is backwards and we lack skilled engineers and scientists to develop high qualitg chips and also there is shortage of electricity and gas and high price of electricity and lack of infrastructure and good roads govt should avoid measures which damage relations with china and may isolate us in world.Tomorrow if a resolution is passed against us in u.n and china not veto it what will we do then

Last edited:
I love their protest . and i think duties on computer parts computers and cellphones should be zero for atleast 5 cellphones cuz sometimes u bring in cellphones for relatives. But anyways i think government knows what they are doing i trust imran khans government for now.

I love their protest . and i think duties on computer parts computers and cellphones should be zero for atleast 5 cellphones cuz sometimes u bring in cellphones for relatives. But anyways i think government knows what they are doing i trust imran khans government for now.
Agree with you there. We need to trust the government for 5 years as we don't have any other options. PPP PML Q N F Z etc all tried and tested.

Back
Top Bottom