What's new

Chinese Foreign Affairs News & Discussions

As others have pointed out, Buddhism is all but extinct within India itself. Yes, India passed Buddhism onto China and beyond, but it is not a shared culture any more.

I didn't say it was "shared culture", I just said it passed through the Himalayas.

I know that only 1% of Indians are Buddhist today, and that Buddhism survives on in East Asian nations like China/Korea/Japan.

Still, it's nice to know about the cultural exchange that occurred over the Himalayas.

As others have pointed out, Buddhism is all but extinct within India itself. Yes, India passed Buddhism onto China and beyond, but it is not a shared culture any more.

Buddhism is still prevalent and thriving in India... the tenets and principles of Buddhism are still attracting many Hindus to convert and follow. I have first hand experience because a couple of my cousins have converted to Buddhism and they say it gives them the inner peace that they have been looking for. There are several other examples I can give where people have converted and it is continued to be followed in India.

Buddhism is still prevalent and thriving in India... the tenets and principles of Buddhism are still attracting many Hindus to convert and follow. I have first hand experience because a couple of my cousins have converted to Buddhism and they say it gives them the inner peace that they have been looking for. There are several other examples I can give where people have converted and it is continued to be followed in India.

That's interesting, is there a revival of Buddhism going on in India?

I can't say for the whole country... but atleast in my circle of friends and family. Last year i was in India I actually went with my cousins to one prayer hall... It was a very peaceful and calming experience.

Few years back I had also gone to Sarnath (place where Buddha first gave his preachings) and it was bustling with people from all walks of life.... so I wouldnt agree that Buddhism is declining in India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarnath

I didn't say it was "shared culture", I just said it passed through the Himalayas.

I know that only 1% of Indians are Buddhist today, and that Buddhism survives on in East Asian nations like China/Korea/Japan.

Still, it's nice to know about the cultural exchange that occurred over the Himalayas.

It didn't go over. It went around. Many of the Greeks who stayed in Afghanistan area who were left over from Alexanders army. Formed Indo-Greek kingdoms. They adopted Buddhism and formed Greco-Buddhist culture. This was then passed down to the Kushans which had extensive trade with China. These central Asian Buddhist would go to China and pass Buddhism to China. So It wasn't really Indian to Chinese contact. China would later spread it to Korea and Japan.

Only famous Indian monk that I think that went to China was Bodhidharma.He founded Zen Buddhism there.

varghese-albums-pics-2-picture3682-bodhidharma.jpg

There are several other examples I can give where people have converted and it is continued to be followed in India.

According to Wikipedia
Hindus 827,578,868 80.5%
Muslims 138,188,240 13.4%
Christians 24,080,016 2.3%
Sikhs 19,215,730 1.9%
Buddhists 7,955,207 0.8%
Jains 4,225,053 0.4%
Bahá'ís 1 953 112 0.18%
Others 4,686,588 0.32%
Religion not stated 727,588 0.1%

I can't say for the whole country... but atleast in my circle of friends and family. Last year i was in India I actually went with my cousins to one prayer hall... It was a very peaceful and calming experience.

Few years back I had also gone to Sarnath (place where Buddha first gave his preachings) and it was bustling with people from all walks of life.... so I wouldnt agree that Buddhism is declining in India.

Sarnath - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would love to visit Sarnath one day. :cheers:

I would also like to visit Bodh Gaya, the place where the Buddha attained enlightenment.

Bodh Gaya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like I said, my family are mostly Buddhists so they would probably love the idea of visiting these places. I'm non-religious personally, but I would still go at least once in my life to see those places.

There was an article in Time Magazine a couple of years back about India's New Buddhists.

India's New Buddhists

Many people who are stressed in life and always running after achievements often seek solace in the principles of Buddhism.

According to Wikipedia
Hindus 827,578,868 80.5%
Muslims 138,188,240 13.4%
Christians 24,080,016 2.3%
Sikhs 19,215,730 1.9%
Buddhists 7,955,207 0.8%
Jains 4,225,053 0.4%
Bahá'ís 1 953 112 0.18%
Others 4,686,588 0.32%
Religion not stated 727,588 0.1%

Yes Developereo... I agree with the stats that it is still a minority religion... I said it is picking up in some places and social circles mostly amongst the educated and urban class indians ... but it would still be a minority religion for a long long time in India if that is what you wanted to point out by the stats.

Following Buddhism does not always mean that you have to give away your birth religion. I have often see people who claim they are Hindus, but actively follow principles of Buddhism.

There are several reasons for revival of buddhism. One of it is Ambedkar The leader who wrote Indian constitution was a Buddhist and he was a Dalit(a Hindu Caste). So the Dalits like to follow him and convert to Buddhism. Apart from that, Tibetian buddhism is the majority religion in Ladakh and Sikkim.

Yes Developereo... I agree with the stats that it is still a minority religion... I said it is picking up in some places and social circles mostly amongst the educated and urban class indians ... but it would still be a minority religion for a long long time in India if that is what you wanted to point out by the stats.

Following Buddhism does not always mean that you have to give away your birth religion. I have often see people who claim they are Hindus, but actively follow principles of Buddhism.

My only point was that Buddhism does not consitute a shared culture between India and China, which is where this discussion started from.
I do not want to belabor the issue, since the point is made.

On the matter of revival of Buddhism, it is actually a global phenomenon. Many people in the West who walk away from Christianity are intrigued by Buddhism and become non-practising Buddhists. Essentially they like the general message, although they do not follow the rituals, etc.

I would love to visit Sarnath one day. :cheers:
I would also like to visit Bodh Gaya, the place where the Buddha attained enlightenment.
Like I said, my family are mostly Buddhists so they would probably love the idea of visiting these places. I'm non-religious personally, but I would still go at least once in my life to see those places.

You are most welcome to visit these places. I haven't been personally to Bodh Gaya, but I heard it is a nice place as well. If you do plan a visit you should also go to Dhauli in Orissa. This is the place when King Asoka fought the great Kalinga War and seeing the bloodshed converted to Buddhism and was responsible for spreading Buddhism through out India and Sri Lanka.

Dhauli Stupa

800px-Dhauli-Giri-Shanti-Stupa-Bhubaneswar-Orissa.jpg

Ref: Kalinga War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dhauli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are most welcome to visit these places. I haven't been personally to Bodh Gaya, but I heard it is a nice place as well. If you do plan a visit you should also go to Dhauli in Orissa. This is the place when King Asoka fought the great Kalinga War and seeing the bloodshed converted to Buddhism and was responsible for spreading Buddhism through out India and Sri Lanka.

Thanks buddy. :cheers:

That story about the Kalinga war looks fascinating, I'll definitely check out those links you gave me.

It is like saying that the US and Iraq have a shared culture because the ancient Babylonian system of base-60 is still used by us (60 seconds, 60 minutes, 360 degrees, etc.)

This makes astonishing reading.

Do you have any further basis for this strange assertion?

Back
Top Bottom