What's new

Chinese firms gain lead in the race for 5G edge

I must say, Huawei is a beast of a company. Really Exceptional!

It is a true Technology company, which leads its field. Had there been no protectionist affairs in some western countries, it would have gobbled the market by now.

I must say i agree with you on this. Huawei, DJI, Haier are one of the only Chinese multinational companies who not only dominate their field, but have also been leaders /trend setters /innovators which sometimes even western companies have followed. Interestingly they are all private companies who are able to compete with the best the world has to offer. This should serve as an example to those Chinese who think SOE are the best, I doubt any state own Chinese company is as innovative as these private Chinese companies and can compete with the best western /Japanese company without having a monopoly in the Chinese market . As I said before, all things being equal and giving the same level playing field private companies will always outperform their SOE counterparts.

And yes, without some western countries (mostly the U. S/Australia though, since my country and most EU countries don't have be anything against them) being over protective Huawei would have dominated /gobbled all western markets. On this one I agree, they're a very powerful /influential and innovative company,.

I must say i agree with you on this. Huawei, DJI, Haier are one of the only Chinese multinational companies who not only dominate their field, but have also been leaders /trend setters /innovators which sometimes even western companies have followed. Interestingly they are all private companies who are able to compete with the best the world has to offer. This should serve as an example to those Chinese who think SOE are the best, I doubt any state own Chinese company is as innovative as these private Chinese companies and can compete with the best western /Japanese company without having a monopoly in the Chinese market . As I said before, all things being equal and giving the same level playing field private companies will always outperform their SOE counterparts.

And yes, without some western countries (mostly the U. S/Australia though, since my country and most EU countries don't have be anything against them) being over protective Huawei would have dominated /gobbled all western markets. On this one I agree, they're a very powerful /influential and innovative company,.

Huawei and Haier are legally registered as worker's communes, not private enterprises. Haier in particular is registered as a commune of Qingdao in Shandong province.

Other enterprises that dominate their industry are State Grid, Hebei Steel, Baosteel, COSCO and China Railways - all of whom are globally competitive state owned enterprisers.

The only industry in which both private and public enterprises are failing is automotive. Nothing else.

the question is how many operators will adopt/buy 5G technology. if we talk about big markets ( india & Pakistan) .
95% population is still using 2G mobiles. 4.5% 3G and very less people using 4G because of expensive 4G sets.

Now when they will introduce 5G mobile. it will cost atleast $1300. which is not a affordable to all. i dont know about other countries but in Pakistan telecom companies will soon face another challenge by 2018 as a guy is planning to make free wifi city ( karachi) mainly installed on shopping malls bus stations etc. And they will use DSL lines as compared to GSM. do you still think people will go for 4G 5G packeges then ? when they can still access free wifi?

In short 5G technology will be extremely expensive for operators and they will not be ready to buy it by 2022-2024 atleast
I see 5G is used for developed advance country. Those especially needed in business where there is no amount of speed is acceptable. For poor country, unfortunately this is not an option. We have 2G and 3G for that. I like that we control telecommunication technology and the future is bright for our people as Huawei continue to break ground.

excuse me, but i have never heard of Samsung in telco market
You need to brush up on your knowledge of Samsung,which is a big presence in the telecommunications sector。5G is THE sector in whcih Samsung has invested hundreds of millions of dollars and strives to play a leading role in the coming decade。

Samsung Demonstrates a Trio of 5G Technology Candidates at MWC 2015 | Samsung Business

excuse me, but i have never heard of Samsung being someone to be reckoned of in European telco market, smart phones aside.

Huawei and Haier are legally registered as worker's communes, not private enterprises. Haier in particular is registered as a commune of Qingdao in Shandong province.

Other enterprises that dominate their industry are State Grid, Hebei Steel, Baosteel, COSCO and China Railways - all of whom are globally competitive state owned enterprisers.

The only industry in which both private and public enterprises are failing is automotive. Nothing else.
China railways, state grid are all state companies that have a virtual monopoly in China, which is what gave them the scale to even start competing globally. However private Chinese companies started from scratch with nothing and had to compete with established western companies in China and then the world. which is what made them so resilient /innovative in the first place. It's no surprise the U. S model triumphed over the state owned inefficient Soviet model. Even though I agree governments need to control some strategic industries for national security reasons.

Last edited:
China railways, state grid are all state companies that have a virtual monopoly in China, which is what gave them the scale to even start competing globally. However private Chinese companies started from scratch with nothing and had to compete with established western companies in China and then the world. which is what made them so resilient /innovative in the first place. It's no surprise the U. S model triumphed over the state owned inefficient Soviet model. Even though I agree governments need to control some strategic industries for national security reasons.

Most of them didn't start with nothing. Haier was a fully government owned refrigerator factory before it was sold to its workers as a commune in the early 80's. Huawei did start with nothing though, and it was in one of the few fields where starting with nothing is a huge handicap due to the technology requirements, and that makes it extremely impressive.

50 RMB for 2 GB data of China Mobile 4G network soon, I hope the cost could be lower.

today's soe in china is definitely not soviet style, it is much closer to western style in operation, where you won't see much difference between bank of china and bank of america in terms of company structure. they all are public traded company. the difference only lies in who is the dominant shareholder, more than 50% share of boc is owned by china's central government. i would say china's soe is more like companies in europe, such as alstom, areva, airbus, EADS....., which are owned mostly by government, rather than private owned companies in USA. BTW, few people here know that lenovo is not a private owned company either, it is public traded but its dominant share holder is chinese academy of science, a central government unit.

some people may take it for granted and think that life in china's soe is easy as an employee. it is so wrong to my best knowledge. my relatives and friends who work for soe as r&d guys just experience the hell in my eyes, they work 10~12hrs a day, 6days a week on a usual base. in some critical points of projects, they live in the hotel in walk distance to office, lasting weeks or even month depending on the results. they call it "concentrated development". they don't get a life. they are just crazy. yes, this is one famous soe in china, i don't want to release the name.

Last edited:
some people may take it for granted and think that life in china's soe is easy as an employee. it is so wrong to my best knowledge. my relatives and friends who work for soe as r&d guys just experience the hell in my eyes, they work 10~12hrs a day, 6days a week on a usual base. in some critical points of projects, they live in the hotel in walk distance to office, lasting weeks or even month depending on the results. they call it "concentrated development. they don't have a life. they are just crazy. yes, this is one famous soe in china, i don't want to release the name.
There are two types of SOE
1, Inefficient old style like Haier in its 1980s.
2, New style SOE like Haier after 1990s.
People generally think about the stereotype as the first type. But time flies, now, SOEs in China are either type2, or on the way to type2, otherwise, they will be a history. My mother's company was type1, people drank tea and read newspaper. It got bankrupted in 1990s. The aftermath is, people still receive several thousand yuan per month even they find another job before retirement age. Ever since, my mother never works, receiving several thousand yuan per month years before her retirement age(50 year-old).

Last edited:
China's ZTE to partner with SoftBank on 'pre-5G' technology in Japan

Chinese telecommunications equipment maker ZTE Corp announced Friday it has signed an memorandum of understanding with SoftBank, Japan's third-largest mobile carrier and the majority owner of Sprint Corp to develop pre 5G technology in Japan.

Under the MOU, the companies will collaborate on research and development on Pre5G mobile communications networks technology.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom