What's new

China's Xi calls for world without nuclear weapons

i agree, we must get rid of nuclear weapons, i am sick of pakistan keep threatening india with nuclear weapons every month

finally well done china

Let's keep the trolling to a minimum this week, @CorporateAffairs :)

@ito has a semi-valid viewpoint.. semi-valid because President Trump is a different role for President Trump than his pre-President days, his business-leader-only days..

I wonder what official Pakistani reaction will be to this. Must be awkward. I think China has been very wise in never making any overt threats to use n-weapons - despite unsavoury spats with so many neighbours over the last few decades.

I know this is a theoretical discussion because it's quite unlikely to materialise - but IMO n-weapons are, today, not worth the so-called nuclear peace (due to MAD fears). There are two big fears

- a terrorist group getting hold of one and setting it off somewhere sensitive. This risk increases each year as more countries get n-weapons, terrorists get more sophisticated and information on storage is more easily available.

- some general thinking it's within his parameters to use n-weapons in some desperate situation.

I believe we rely too much on MAD as the Americans and the Soviets understood it. Their case was a bit different - neither the USSR nor USA could invade the other and MAD worked because it protected against a first strike by n-weapons. In situations like the middle east or south asia the geographical profile of the adversarial countries means that MAD does not work in that form. A conventional war can very break out - and risk of nuclear escalation is real.

Last edited:
Suppose Tomorrow , there will be no Nukes .
Good bye to India , Pakistan , Bangladesh , Nepal , Mynamar , Vietnam , Bhutan , Sri Lanka , Animeland . We all will be eaten alive by Godly China . USA will eat the rest of North America and Brazil will eat the rest of South America .
:D

We need Nukes . Without Nukes , Humanity will be under much Greater threat .
Alien Invasion isn't far away . Nukes are Deterrent against Aliens and Idiotic Humans .

Back
Top Bottom