What's new

China's rail-based missiles

Great China

New Recruit

Reaction score
In the effort to increase her nuclear deterrence efficiency, China built rail-based missile system. This kind of system had been in service in Russia, the rail based SS-24 Scalpel (truly a very powerful ICBM, with range up to 10.000 km and 10 MIRVs! But now it's no longer in service).

This recent US article confirms China's rail systems:

China developing rail basing systems for missile transport | Washington Free Beacon

Recently chinese CCTV also reported news about Second Artillery trains, but obviously without showing anything significant, eg missile canister or launch system.

26_120903090139_7.jpg

20120905091326682.jpg

26_120903090139_16.jpg

Note the FLAT wagon between what could be "normal" passenger wagons. That flat wagon is used for missile canister reloading. In fact this old pic below shows what could be a missile canister being loaded inside a train wagon:
954d517b-e0d7-4a8c-9039-147a60a801a1.jpg

and this other one shows a very similar in size and shape canister:
20120808015522277.jpg

A close analysis of the canisters tell us clearly that these are not DF-21 missiles. The sizes are different (DF-21 is larger). So we don't know what kind of missiles are fired from the trains, maybe MRBM or IRBM for regional targets.

However, it's very likely that China has now upgraded these trains with DF-31 or DF-31A.

We all know that China has now the world fastest railways (some lines have an average speed of over 300 km/h!), so these strategic trains may travel much faster than road-mobile systems (which speed is less than 80 km/h). Second Artillery's efficiency and strength will dramatically increase!

:china:

congrats guys.

india too has a large rail network(though the speed is still an issue).hope we see something like this in future in india too.

congrats guys.

india too has a large rail network(though the speed is still an issue).hope we see something like this in future in india too.

Ummm, India's first launchers for Agni series were rail-mobile. ;)
Later came the road-mobile ones.
Not an issue really.

congrats guys.

China have lots of money to waste don't compare with them in everything .....

China have lots of money to waste don't compare with them in everything .....

first of all read post 3.
second that is why i said in 'future',
third,why shouldnt i compare my country to a better one and wish it advances,dont you compare pak with india?

dont you wish that your country advances??

every one is optimistic about his country.

first of all read post 3.
second that is why i said in 'future',
third,why shouldnt i compare my country to a better one and wish it advances,dont you compare pak with india?

dont you wish that your country advances??

every one is optimistic about his country.

i want to see my country economy more better because under zardari its drowning in Atlantic like a Titanic.... which makes me unhappy i don't see India has enemy right now because all the expansion of India is to counter China.....:cheers:

Oh,here come's CCP certified Cheerleader.:lol:

Thats all you have to say with that big tongue of Einstein.....

i want to see my country economy more better because under zardari its drowning in Atlantic like a Titanic.... which makes me unhappy i don't see India has enemy right now because all the expansion of India is to counter China.....:cheers:

true mate.nice to hear this.and for that simulator thing,google it.:)

Thats all you have to say with that big tongue of Einstein.....

That's all it need,Einstein's words were always subtle and effective.But I appreciate those words.

Video footage obtained from official Chinese television also reveals missiles being loaded horizontally through the ends of rail cars even though the railcars had retractable roofs indicating possible launcher capabilities.

Does anyone have this video?

任何錄像會有所幫助,如果可能的話或更多圖片

Some new pics about Second Artillery's missile train.
20130412095102925.jpg

20130412095115474.jpg

Note that only two windows look real, the other ones are "fake".

20130412094805697.jpg

20130412094945232.jpg

20130412095025659.jpg

This wagon is different, the roof can probably open.
To me, it seems containing something "bad ***"!

Long live to SAC!

don't mind,but isn't rail based launchers are easily detectable than road based one??India first developed rail launcher based missiles,but then move towards road launcher as it is more easy to hide.correct me if I'm wrong.

by the way,I think it'll work like this..

178420691.jpg

220px-RT-23_ICBM_complex_in_Saint_Petersburg_museum.jpg

http://papermau.blogspot.in/2012/08/ss-24-scalpel-railway-launching-icbm.html

Russian and Chinese launch systems are working similar way i think..

also read this..

http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20121226/178413560.html

even though Russia is bringing back rail based launcher,defence experts are saying thats a bad idea as this system is cumbersome.

I thought the the thread us about Rail-based missiles.
Here you guys are posting about 'pants-based' missiles?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom