What's new

China's rail-based missiles

Why are you posting a wife swapping article in a Chinese missile defence related article?

stop trolling.

We all know that China has now the world fastest railways (some lines have an average speed of over 300 km/h!), so these strategic trains may travel much faster than road-mobile systems (which speed is less than 80 km/h). Second Artillery's efficiency and strength will dramatically increase!

:china:

I would say its highly unlikley that anyone would consider carrying a nuclear missile on a bullet train.

What is the advantage of using Rail Network ?. Isnt it easy to sabotage the rail network as compare to mobile launcher based on truck .

Speed may be one factor but when the rail link is broken what good it can bring. It is literary impossible to protect hundreds of KM of rail .

I would say its highly unlikley that anyone would consider carrying a nuclear missile on a bullet train.

and why no? explain your reasons instead of simply posting baseless comments.

Is a faster train worse than a slow one? does your logic works in this way?

The author of the post below, unlike you, gives explainations to his point of view.

What is the advantage of using Rail Network ?. Isnt it easy to sabotage the rail network as compare to mobile launcher based on truck .

Speed may be one factor but when the rail link is broken what good it can bring. It is literary impossible to protect hundreds of KM of rail .

The main reason for rail based missiles is that they are harder to detect in case of preventive attacks. Road TELs once they are identified are easily tracked by satellites (a missile TEL is clearly different from other civilian vehicles, and they usually move with many other support vehicles). Instead, rail missile wagons are almost identical to normal passenger wagons. How can you tell if a train convoy is a normal train or a missile train?
Diversification is essential to assure the survavibility of our strategic weapons in case of a first strike!

Sabotage? If the enemy sabotages the chinese rail network this means that they already know the train position, so that is another argument.

If a rail link is broken, it doesn't mean the whole network is out of service. A rail network is like a spider web, there's always another way, just like a broken bridge doesn't impair the road mobile TELs.

If they're attacking the chinese rail network don't you think it's time to counter attack?
However rails are quite resistant if you don't know, even to nuclear blasts. They also allow mobility for longer and heavier missiles (road missiles have weight limits: it would be extremely hard to mobilize a 100 ton ICBM on road, but this is easy on rail).

In the 80's even US planned to put their Peacekeepers on a rail network, just like soviet SS-24.

And today Russia is thinking of revival their nuclear trains again!

The advantages are, without doubts, more than the disadvantages.

and why no? explain your reasons instead of simply posting baseless comments.

Is a faster train worse than a slow one? does your logic works in this way?

The author of the post below, unlike you, gives explainations to his point of view.

The main reason for rail based missiles is that they are harder to detect in case of preventive attacks. Road TELs once they are identified are easily tracked by satellites (a missile TEL is clearly different from other civilian vehicles, and they usually move with many other support vehicles). Instead, rail missile wagons are almost identical to normal passenger wagons. How can you tell if a train convoy is a normal train or a missile train?
Diversification is essential to assure the survavibility of our strategic weapons in case of a first strike!

Sabotage? If the enemy sabotages the chinese rail network this means that they already know the train position, so that is another argument.

If a rail link is broken, it doesn't mean the whole network is out of service. A rail network is like a spider web, there's always another way, just like a broken bridge doesn't impair the road mobile TELs.

If they're attacking the chinese rail network don't you think it's time to counter attack?
However rails are quite resistant if you don't know, even to nuclear blasts. They also allow mobility for longer and heavier missiles (road missiles have weight limits: it would be extremely hard to mobilize a 100 ton ICBM on road, but this is easy on rail).

In the 80's even US planned to put their Peacekeepers on a rail network, just like soviet SS-24.

And today Russia is thinking of revival their nuclear trains again!

The advantages are, without doubts, more than the disadvantages.

I didnt elaborate because i thought a moments reflection on the danger of having a 3 stage rocket with a 10 MIRV warhead on a train traveling at 300 kilometers an hour was fairly obvious, that and the slight problem that an ICBM would fit.

I didnt elaborate because i thought a moments reflection on the danger of having a 3 stage rocket with a 10 MIRV warhead on a train traveling at 300 kilometers an hour was fairly obvious, that and the slight problem that an ICBM would fit.

rail based missiles isnt on mounted on HSR and wont be going remotely near 300 km/h. that said, HSR going 300 km/h is actually incredible smooth and HSR is infact pretty safe, its record is better than standard automobile travel by roads.

and something like a df-31A is less than 8 feet in diameter and 43 feet in length
common train boxcars are over 50 feet in length,about 10 feet wide and tall and there exists much larger extended boxcars and industrial version. so it would fit quite comfortably

something like the df-5a would need more space but it isnt outrageous, being 11 feet in diameter and about 100 feet long

congrats guys.

india too has a large rail network(though the speed is still an issue).hope we see something like this in future in india too.

Agni 6 will be weigh around 60-68 tons and TELs can't handle missile weighing more than 50 tons.

Hence launch platform for it will be Rail.

Trucks will be able to carry it but not launch it

don't mind,but isn't rail based launchers are easily detectable than road based one??India first developed rail launcher based missiles,but then move towards road launcher as it is more easy to hide.correct me if I'm wrong.

by the way,I think it'll work like this..

178420691.jpg

220px-RT-23_ICBM_complex_in_Saint_Petersburg_museum.jpg

http://papermau.blogspot.in/2012/08/ss-24-scalpel-railway-launching-icbm.html

Russian and Chinese launch systems are working similar way i think..

also read this..

http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20121226/178413560.html

even though Russia is bringing back rail based launcher,defence experts are saying thats a bad idea as this system is cumbersome.

Russians are developing new rail based missile which will weigh 50 to 55 tons unlike 100 ton+ Scalpel

Do we really need rail based missiles...?

I can't say if rail based missiles are good during war time because the rails are easy targets for bombing. But, I think rail carriage makes sense for safekeeping the missiles in peace time. Rail-based missiles can be carried to their designated destinations in short notice at a time of tension and placed on trucks for real use.

Back
Top Bottom