What's new

China's new missile 'ready by 2015'

idk, but it makes sense that a longer range missile carried more fuel need more materials to build hence costing more, otherwise why dont we just used ICBM's for everything and not have IRBMs and SRBMs

You got a point there. I would expect that if a short range ASBM is developed, then it would be based on the DF-11 or DF-15

Do you have any links?

Why is there a need for a short range ASBM if we have a medium/intermediate range ASBM?
This is the SRBM version of MaRV. As I understand it was developed prior to the MRBM (DF-21 series) version.
dmfnuc.jpg

After reading the article over again, I just realized there is no 4000 missile range ASBM, but rather a 4000 km range missile. This is probably just referring to a long-range cruise missile. The existing CJ-10 is 1500 km range so this is a major leap in capability.

But the article did confirm the 2500 km range DF-21D! First time from state-owned media, as I recall.

This is the SRBM version of MaRV. As I understand it was developed prior to the MRBM (DF-21 series) version.
dmfnuc.jpg

After reading the article over again, I just realized there is no 4000 missile range ASBM, but rather a 4000 km range missile. This is probably just referring to a long-range cruise missile. But the article did confirm the 2500 km range DF-21D. First time from state-owned media, I think.

Dude, this is not the DF-21. !!!

dmfnuc.jpg

After reading the article over again, I just realized there is no 4000 missile range ASBM, but rather a 4000 km range missile. This is probably just referring to a long-range cruise missile. The existing CJ-10 is 1500 km range so this is a major leap in capability.

But the article did confirm the 2500 km range DF-21D! First time from state-owned media, as I recall.

Just because it has MaRV doesn't mean it's an anti-ship ballistic missile. DF-31A, DF-41, DF-21C, JL-2, DF-11, and DF-15 all have MaRV, but they're not anti-ship ballistic missiles.

The "4000 km range missile" you were talking about is the DH-10.

CJ-10 has range of 2250 km

DF-21D is supposed to be 3000 km range

DF-31A, DF-41, DF-21C, JL-2, DF-11, and DF-15 all have MaRV, but they're not anti-ship ballistic missiles.
Wrong. Those are not MaRV. JL-2 is MIRV. DF-31A I heard is deliberately (not technical bottleneck) single warhead. There is no DF-41 as I understand. Regular DF-11 and DF-15 do not have MIRV. They're a single piece warhead and rocket. This is why that photo is significant -- it is a DF-11 variant (DF-11C?) that is two piece with MaRV.

DF-5A by the way is MIRV.

Pershing II is a MaRV but not an ASBM. It is possible the Chinese missile is for land attack like Pershing II but then what would China attack? The more likely target in fact is at sea. 300-500 km is still a lot of range. Taiwan strait is only 200 km across.

The "4000 km range missile" you were talking about is the DH-10.

CJ-10 has range of 2250 km

DF-21D is supposed to be 3000 km range
DH-10 is the CJ-10 -- it's just an early name from western observers before the real name used by PLA became public. DH was supposed to mean Donghai 东海. Of course CJ is Changjian 长剑. There was also ANOTHER name for the same missile NH for HongNiao 红鸟.

The ballistic missile with pointed head is not MIRVed, the one with round head is MIRVed.

250px-JL-1_and_JL-2.PNG

b6ubo2.jpg

Provided they both are TU-95 why their nose is so much different. They may be variants but each for what purpose?

Wrong. Those are not MaRV. JL-2 is MIRV. DF-31A I heard is deliberately (not technical bottleneck) single warhead. There is no DF-41 as I understand. Regular DF-11 and DF-15 do not have MIRV. They're a single piece warhead and rocket. This is why that photo is significant -- it is a DF-11 variant (DF-11C?) that is two piece with MaRV.

DF-5A by the way is MIRV.

Pershing II is a MaRV but not an ASBM. It is possible the Chinese missile is for land attack like Pershing II but then what would China attack? The more likely target in fact is at sea. 300-500 km is still a lot of range. Taiwan strait is only 200 km across.

DH-10 is the CJ-10 -- it's just an early name from western observers before the real name used by PLA became public. DH was supposed to mean Donghai 东海. Of course CJ is Changjian 长剑. There was also ANOTHER name for the same missile NH for HongNiao 红鸟.

MIRV is different from MaRV. MaRV means that the warhead has terminal guidance. DF-11/15/21D/25/31A/41, and JL-2 all have warheads capable of terminal guidance.

The advantage of MaRV is that it is almost impossible to shoot down

MIRV missiles:
- DF-5A
- DF-21C (5-6 warheads)
- DF-25 (3 warheads)
- DF-31A (3 warheads)
- DF-41 (12 warheads)
- JL-2 (10 warheads)

CJ-10 is a variant of DH-10. CJ-10 seems to be a more multirole variant of the DH-10 with a shorter range but with supersonic ability

Back
Top Bottom