What's new

China's Largest Rocket CZ-5 ... Maiden Launch 20:42 November 3, 2016!

The reason why both can't cooperate is politic. NASA themselves think that cooperate with CNSA has the benefit for them too.

How exactly? In which way any cooperation with China would benefit the NASA?

I should also add, even if US see China as enemy, it will not solely ban the cooperation based on political difference. Remember the Apollo-Soyuz mission?? It's a cooperative effort by US and Soviet Union, then enemies in cold war. The different between US-China and US-Soviet Union is simple, US can benefit from working with Soviet Union back in 1970 and in return, the US make great progress with the STS mission. While it also benefit for Russia via the ISS.

I am not saying there won't be any US-China cooperation at all in the future, but I can only see once China can bring something on the table, then there will be a cooperation between US-China like there were three between US-Soviet Union

Last edited:

Ask them yourself. Ask Bolden why he wanted to cooperate with China. They are pure scientists, not politician. They are not Mr. Frank Wolf. Their mission bring humanity to space, to explore the void, not to bolster the superiority ego like politicians and grunts.

Plus, China, Europe, and Russia have the cooperation to build the next generation of space station together; after the ISS pass it's life time in 2024. So, without a cooperation with CNSA, US won't have any space station in the future.

Ask them yourself. Ask Bolden why he wanted to cooperate with China. They are pure scientists, not politician. They are not Mr. Frank Wolf. Their mission bring humanity to space, to explore the void, not to bolster the superiority ego like politicians and grunts.

Plus, China, Europe, and Russia have the cooperation to build the next generation of space station together; after the ISS pass it's life time in 2024. So, without a cooperation with CNSA, US won't have any space station in the future.

lol, you are right, they are scientist, it's the same some time ago when I was commenting on C919 progress and I said my brother (a Boeing Engineer) also said they should by all account pass all the data to the Chinese so they would not need to loss all those people they did with any Boeing Aircraft to perfect the aviation system. But they won't, not because of the politics

Even if US see China as enemy, it will not solely ban the cooperation based on political difference. Remember the Apollo-Soyuz mission?? It's a cooperative effort by US and Soviet Union, then enemies in cold war. The different between US-China and US-Soviet Union is simple, US can benefit from working with Soviet Union back in 1970 and in return, the US make great progress with the STS mission. While it also benefit for Russia via the ISS.

I am not saying there won't be any US-China cooperation at all in the future, but I can only see once China can bring something on the table, then there will be a cooperation between US-China like there were three between US-Soviet Union. (Apollo-Soyuz, Mir-Shuttle Program and ISS)

and while we are at the ISS project, US and Russia again in talk about a replacement for ISS beyond 2020, the problem is, ISS is really not something US have in mind with apace at the moment, the US focus is Deep space exploration and Mars Mission, both not really require the ISS or any ISS to works, while the first one depends on the space probe and second one actually works a lot batter if NASA have a base in moon. But what future brings? Who knows.

lol, you are right, they are scientist, it's the same some time ago when I was commenting on C919 progress and I said my brother (a Boeing Engineer) also said they should by all account pass all the data to the Chinese so they would not need to loss all those people they did with any Boeing Aircraft to perfect the aviation system. But they won't, not because of the politics

Even if US see China as enemy, it will not solely ban the cooperation based on political difference. Remember the Apollo-Soyuz mission?? It's a cooperative effort by US and Soviet Union, then enemies in cold war. The different between US-China and US-Soviet Union is simple, US can benefit from working with Soviet Union back in 1970 and in return, the US make great progress with the STS mission. While it also benefit for Russia via the ISS.

I am not saying there won't be any US-China cooperation at all in the future, but I can only see once China can bring something on the table, then there will be a cooperation between US-China like there were three between US-Soviet Union. (Apollo-Soyuz, Mir-Shuttle Program and ISS)

and while we are at the ISS project, US and Russia again in talk about a replacement for ISS beyond 2020, the problem is, ISS is really not something US have in mind with apace at the moment, the US focus is Deep space exploration and Mars Mission, both not really require the ISS or any ISS to works, while the first one depends on the space probe and second one actually works a lot batter if NASA have a base in moon. But what future brings? Who knows.

Wow, we talk about NASA and you said about Boeing.
You should ask Bolden, not your "Boeing Engineer" brother.

Wow, we talk about NASA and you said about Boeing.
You should ask Bolden, not your "Boeing Engineer" brother.

dude, I was talking about how and why US will not cooperate with China, and by the way, Boeing is one of the Major Contractor for NASA and my brother actually worked on Space Propulsion System for Dragon Space craft.

And as I said, it is not a "pure" political issue like you said, it is somehow political but if China can bring anything significant on the table, NASA would not have said no, don't forget the US had joint Mission with Soviet Union during THE HEIGHT of cold war, and US hostilities on China is no way near the Soviet Union during 70s/80s. On the other hand, you don't really need to ask Bolden to know China is at least 30 years (that's quite generous). If there are any Joint Mission between NASA and CNSA, then it will be a Mission with US helping China to develop their space program while the US gain nothing.

I know what Bolden think, but then not all of us can sit around a circle and sing Kumbaya like what him. There are a lot of technology, military secret involve

I should also add, even if US see China as enemy, it will not solely ban the cooperation based on political difference. Remember the Apollo-Soyuz mission?? It's a cooperative effort by US and Soviet Union, then enemies in cold war. The different between US-China and US-Soviet Union is simple, US can benefit from working with Soviet Union back in 1970 and in return, the US make great progress with the STS mission. While it also benefit for Russia via the ISS.

I am not saying there won't be any US-China cooperation at all in the future, but I can only see once China can bring something on the table, then there will be a cooperation between US-China like there were three between US-Soviet Union

Bring something on the table ? How about money ? I believe CN gov will pay the bill without any hesitate if USA gov invites China to join the project like Mars or what ever.

unfortunately China is not your ally .

China was and still is lag behind US in this field . US gov wants to maintain the advantage in this field .

US gov will not cooperate with us until we get enough close to level of US. Because they know they can not maintain their superiority any more.

Just like Intel Fab68 in Dalian. No only tech reason but also political reason.

Last edited:
Bring something on the table ? How about money ?

US ask so many countries to join the project of F35 .

Why ? Is USA unable to develop F35 alone ? I hardly think so . US wants these fellows to share the costs.

unfortunately China is not your ally .

China was and still is lag behind US in this field . US gov wants to maintain the advantage in this field .

US gov will not cooperate us until we get enough close to level of US. Because they know they can not maintain their superiority any more.

Money?? Do you know what is the operational budget of NASA?? And you try to compare them with CNSA..

NASA have a "reported" budget of 15.7 Billions, that's before other subsidiary such as Virgin Galactic and SpaceX and other company (MB, Boeing and etc.) have to pay for their facilities in Cape Carnival and Kansas and Louisiana test site or Satellite launch. On the other hand, CNSA have a reported budget of 500 millions (0.5 billions) with high estimate to 1.3 Billions dollars. NASA budget is about 12 times of those of CNSA budget....

And no, you have it wrong with the F-35, The main reason why US propose a Joint Development on F-35 not because of Cost sharing, but they were to better sell to foreign customer. US have paid more than 92% of the 59 Billions R&D cost, Only 4.275 billions of that 59.2 Billions are from Level 1-3 partner of those

Tier -1 Contributor
UK - 2.5 Billions

Tier -2 Contributor
Italy - 1 Billion
Netherland - 800 Millions

Tier -3 Contributor
Turkey - 195 millions
Canada - 160 millions
Australia - 144 millions
Norway - 122 millions
Denmark - 110 millions

Of the procurement cost, the US have 78.7% Share of the 260 billions procurement cost. Of the 3100 F-35 LM pertain to make, 2440 of those went to USAF, USN and USMC, only 660 goes to other country. The Overall maintenance cost is off set from procurement cost.

You got one thing right, until China show some positive sign on space development, there will not be any cooperation between US and China

And no, you have it wrong with the F-35, The main reason why US propose a Joint Development on F-35 not because of Cost sharing, but they were to better sell to foreign customer. US have paid more than 92% of the 59 Billions R&D cost, Only 4.275 billions of that 59.2 Billions are from Level 1-3 partner of those

Tier -1 Contributor
UK - 2.5 Billions

Tier -2 Contributor
Italy - 1 Billion
Netherland - 800 Millions

Tier -3 Contributor
Turkey - 195 millions
Canada - 160 millions
Australia - 144 millions
Norway - 122 millions
Denmark - 110 millions

Of the procurement cost, the US have 78.7% Share of the 260 billions procurement cost. Of the 3100 F-35 LM pertain to make, 2440 of those went to USAF, USN and USMC, only 660 goes to other country. The Overall maintenance cost is off set from procurement cost.

You got one thing right, until China show some positive sign on space development, there will not be any cooperation between US and China

They were to better sell to foreign customer ?

CN does not need you to sell the F35. We will buy it with a unit price of 0.5 billion of 1 billion.

Will US gov sell it ?

They were to better sell to foreign customer ?

CN does not need you to sell the F35. We will buy it with a unit price of 0.5 billion of 1 billion.

Will US gov sell it ?

what the hell u are talking about?

Chinese buying F-35?

what the hell u are talking about?

Chinese buying F-35?
Yes , you said that us gov asked another countries to join development of F35 is for the purpose to sell F35.

We do not need US gov to convince us to buy . We will buy it if it has a price. Will USA gov sell us F35?

Yes , you said that us gov asked another countries to join development of F35 is for the purpose to sell F35.

We do not need US gov to convince us to buy . We will buy it if it has a price. Will USA gov sell us F35?

I have no idea what you just said......

How China buying F-35 related to the NASA/CNSA cooperation??

110 Long March rockets to be launched in 5 years
Xinhua, March 3, 2016

001aa0ba3c6a1841d3e401.jpg

A Long March-4C carrier rocket carrying the Yaogan XVII remote-sensing satellite blasts off from the launch pad at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, Sept. 2, 2013. [Xinhua]

A Chinese rocket scientist said Wednesday that 110 China-made Long March rockets will take to the skies over the next five years, as more models are developed.

Liang Xiaohong, member of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference National Committee and a former head of the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology, said the past decade witnessed a rapid increase in the number of Long March rockets launched.

From 2011 to 2015, 86 Long March rockets were launched, and from 2006 to 2010 the number was 48, Liang said before the country's political advisory body convenes its annual session.

The increasing launches within the five-year time frame showed that China's capacity in rocket design, production and management have been improved significantly, Liang said.

In addition, the next-generation Long March 5 heavy lift rocket and medium Long March 7 will debut this year, and the heavy carrier rocket system is in development, Liang said.

"Those new-generation rockets will use environmentally friendly propellant and will feature first-class space technologies," he said.

The heavy carrier rocket, which will be comparable to the U.S. Saturn V, is expected to be launched in 15 years, the thrust of which will be five times the current force.

Moreover, it is expected that by 2020 China's Mars program will have begun, thanks to the Long March 5 rockets, and advanced stages including Expedition 2 will have been developed, the scientist said.

Over 200 Long March series rockets have been launched in over four decades.

With the Long March 5, we should be able to launch everything, robotic and probes to the distant planet easily.

Long March 7 and Long March 5 scheduled to make maiden flights in 2016
By Wang Ao (People's Daily Online) 14:02,
January 18, 2016

Long March 7 rocket. (Photo/Xinhua)

"China's new generation carrier rockets, Long March 7 and Long March 5, will make their respective maiden flights in June and at the end of September to the beginning of October in 2016," said Lei Fanpei, the chairman of China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASC).

According to a CASC statement, Long March 5 is currently being tested at Wenchang Space Launch Center in south China's Hainan province. The current focus for Long March 7 is rocket production for the maiden flight.

"One of the characteristics of the new generation of carrier rockets is their use of non-toxic and non-polluting fuels," said Li Tongyu, director of the Aerospace Ministry of China's Carrier Rocket Technology Institute.

Regarded as the space transportation system that has the largest potential for development and the highest technology currently in China, Long March 5 has a payload capacity of 25 tons for low Earth orbit, and 14 tons for geostationary transfer orbit. It will increase China's space capacity more than twofold and promote the upgrade of China's active power system for carrier rockets. Long March 5 is scheduled for a three-step moon exploration program (orbit, landing and return) in 2017.

Long March 7 is the new generation of medium-size launch vehicles, and was developed to meet the demand for launching cargo spaceships toward China's manned space station. The use of tridimensional and digital platforms in design and production marks a new stage of digitalization for China's carrier rocket technology.

"The update of active carrier rockets has already been planned, though there will be a brief period of coexistence of the old and new generations. However, there is really no competition between them; they will be chosen for tasks according to relative requirements and carrying capacity," said Li Tongyu.

FOREIGN201601181404000022934088936.jpg

Models of Long March 5 rocket. (File photo)

Back
Top Bottom