What's new

Chinas father of space technology dies at 98 (31)

China's "father of space technology" dies at 98 - People's Daily Online

China's "Father of Space Technology dies at 98 15:18, October 31, 2009

China's keystone space scientist Qian Xuesen, widely acclaimed as the country's "father of space technology" and "king of rocketry", died of illness here Saturday morning at the age of 98.

In 1956, based on Qian's position paper on the country's defense and aviation industry, the central government set up an aviation industry committee, which later became the leading organization for China's missile and aviation programs.

Under the guidance of Qian, also known as Tsien Hsue-shen, China finished the blueprint on developing jet and rocket technology. He also played a significant role in developing the country's first artificial earth satellite.

"Mr. Qian used to hold academic seminars for us. We exchanged scientific ideas and wrote articles together. The whole time when we worked with Mr. Qian had a great influence on us," Yu Jingyuan, a senior researcher with the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation told Xinhua Saturday afternoon on hearing the news.

In one of Qian's legendary stories, a missile project team encountered repeated failures during the engine experiments in 1950s. Team members couldn't figure out what was wrong and turned to him. In a meeting, Qian paced around the room, listened to everyone's ideas and ask them further questions for about 40 minutes. He then hinted the team that they should take into account the high-frequency vibration when the engine was running.

He was right. In June 1964, China successfully created its first medium- and short-range missile, marking the start of the country's first missile defense system nuclear weapon.

During the man-made satellite project, when everyone else was not sure that the satellite would work perfectly in space given the limited testing facilities, Qian researched piles of documents and papers and wrote, "In my opinion, the satellite is done."

On April 24, 1970, "Dongfanghong-I (Red East 1)", the country's first man-made satellite, was successfully launched.

Yu Jingyuan said Qian had very deep understanding of his own profession and also had a wide knowledge regarding many other fields. "He was a true science leader and master with brilliant scientific and philosophic thinking."

Qian, a member of both the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Chinese Academy of Engineering, graduated from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 1934.

In 1935, he went to study in the aviation department of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and later studied aviation engineering at the California Institute of Technology. In 1939, he received a doctorate in aviation and mathematics.

In 1947, 36-year-old Qian was already a professor at the Massachusetts Institute.

According to his son Qian Yonggang, the Kuomintang once invited Qian to come back but he refused. He returned to the mainland after the new China was founded.

However, Qian's road home was not smooth.

Documents show that amid the McCarthyism in the 1950s, allegations were made that he was a communist who stole confidential information about the U.S. government.

Qian was put in prison for 15 days, followed by a 5-year house arrest under surveillance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

In June 1955, a letter from Qian managed to get out of the U.S. border and finally reached then Premier Zhou Enlai, resulting in Sino-U.S. talks which led to his release.

Together with his wife and two children, Qian sailed for more than a month before arriving in the mainland.

On the official BBS of the Shanghai Jiao Tong University, where Qian majored in mechanic engineering from 1929 to 1934, many alumni still couldn't believe the news while replies to the posts soon topped 850 in six hours.

Many regarded his death as "a superstar fell" and expressed their blessings for him -- "Dear Mr. Qian, rest in peace. We will never forget your achievements."

According to the Shanghai Jiao Tong University Press, the press is currently compiling a picture album of Qian and a collection of his writings based on 800-plus-page documents retrieved from the U.S. National Archives, which include details about his encounters with the U.S. government and his trip back home.

The picture book will be released soon and the writing compilation is due to come out in next spring.

Although Qian, a Hangzhou native in east China's Zhejiang Province, had long been a Beijing resident, his hometown friends feel close to him.

In one of the most popular local web portal "19 lou", more than8,000 visitors read the news in three hours.

"Masters, you've always been the mental support for us post-70sgeneration but one by one you're gone... Our country needs more masters like you..." wrote a netizen named "sheliqiang" in a hundred-word reply.

On Saturday, a documentary about Qian, produced by Xinhua, has been broadcast on the Internet and the agency's TV channel. Taiwan's Eastern Television will also air the program on Saturday evening.

"He was a 'people's scientist' with firm political belief and pure moralities," researcher Yu Jingyuan said.

Source: Xinhua :china:

I don't know about the great man, however, the respect and affection shown by our chinese brothers for him is enough evidence to prove the services rendered by this great man.

and if there is someone for whom our chinese brothers have so much respect for, then i must have greater respect for the great man.

MAY HE REST IN PEACE...:pakistan::china::pakistan::china:

Qian was one of a few world-class genius who stood on the frontier in various fields in science at the time. He was also a well-known patriot.

He was the figure behind almost every greatest millitary achievements of China for the last half a century. Still, one has to see his contribution to China in a strategic sense to be able to appreciate him fully:

Arguablelly speaking, there were only 2 things that USSR and the US were competing in the Cold War: long-distance ballistic missle equiped with nukes, and space race. Both of them largely boil down to one core technology: rocket techonology.

Qian was one of handful pioneers in the world on rocket. One of famous US generals argued to shoot him rather than sending him back to China, just because he worthed too too much strategicly in the course of history, and history proved that the general was right.

Without Qian's efforts, China could have never been able to maintain the power balance of the Strategic Triangle (US, USSR, China) during the zenith of the Cold War, which required both nukes and advanced missile technology to deliver them.

Look at today: there are sizable gaps between China and the US in almost all fronts of advanced millitary tech. However, ballistic missles tech is amongst one of a few areas where the gap is the smallest. Without any doubt, China is amongst top 3 most advanced countries in missle tech today. This is largely becuase of Qian. Most importantly, Qian directly and indirectly fostered generations of world-class Chinese experts on missiles.

The ripple effect of Qian's missiles also has had a critical impact on Pakistan-India conflict at large...

Also look in this way, without a person remotely close to Qian's caliber even nearly 50 years later as today, Iran could hardly affect Israel even though it only requires mid-distance missle tech; and likewise, India could hardly change the strategic millitary dynamics with China because of the huge gap in missile technologies.

Last edited:

Without Qian's efforts, China could have never been able to maintain the power balance of the Strategic Triangle (US, USSR, China) during the zenith of the Cold War, which required both nukes and advanced missile technology to deliver them.

Brother, I beg to differ on this aspect.

There were perhaps more than half thousand Chinese overseas scholars left West for New China for various reasons. There was no lack of geniuses among them. Dr. Qian happens to a big start that over shines the others.

I’d like to believe that, even without Dr. Qian, China would have done the similar in missile technologies, but perhaps would not have achieved in such an advanced stage at this early time.

On a negative note, Dr. Qian’s article calculating rice yield per mu during Great Leap Forward was fiercely criticized, even to date.

Subjectively, I believe that that article perhaps influenced Mao more or less, to make Mao believe the bogus news that food was abundant and starvation did not exist. But, academically, as a scientist, he’s calculation in theory was not wrong. It is the politicians at various levels that messed up the whole thing.

What do you guys think on this?

PS. I remember I put several posts on Chinese web years ago on this topic, but many were deleted by mods perhaps due to my criticism against foolish CPC policy during that period of time.

It's the Mccarthyism that created Qian's ledgend, its glad to see that the US is moving toward that direction again

On a negative note, Dr. Qian’s article calculating rice yield per mu during Great Leap Forward was fiercely criticized, even to date.

That was definitely a stain on this man's otherwise illustrious career. But perhaps the overall political climate of the time was more to blame.

Again, Mao and Co. have to take responsibility for putting him "on the spot". Look, I hear what you are saying. But Qian probably never set foot in a rice patti. In contrast, Mao and comrades cannot clutch such excuses.

Anyways, now is not the best time to carry on this discussion since the overall mood is one of condolences. And people should perhaps respect that and wait for a more opportune moment.

Last edited:
It's the Mccarthyism that created Qian's ledgend, its glad to see that the US is moving toward that direction again

One of my friends left NASA for Chinese Academy of Science years ago, working on satellite technology (perhaps GPS related). Perhaps Senate Cox helps push him a little bit further.

I was seeing him off with mixed feelings...

Last edited:
China's greatest scientist.
rest in peace.
He lives in our heart for ever.

Brother, I beg to differ on this aspect.

I’d like to believe that, even without Dr. Qian, China would have done the similar in missile technologies, but perhaps would not have achieved in such an advanced stage at this early time.

In general principle, I more or less agree that China had many brains apart from Quan at the time, albeit only a handful, if not a few, world-class ones. That said, Qian was the critical one without any doubt.

PRC's most difficult period in the Cold War was during mid 50s to early 70s, when the USSR withdrew and stopped any aid and when both the US and the Soviet were threatening the new China on millitary front: Korean War, Sino-Indo border war, Vietnam war, etc.

That's was the exact period when Qian returned to China (1955). That was also the same periods when Qian developed the first ballistic missile for China, when Qian was put in charge of China's first atomic bomb (1964), when Qian successfully put nuke warahead on top of ballistic missiles(1970).

In field of these technologies, without Qian, China would have been decades behind in missiles at that time. Let alone missiles or nuclear missiles, China even didn't have enough second-hand guns; and more development later on doesn't count. And China therefore could not sustain so well the pressures on millitary and deplomatic fronts from both the US and Soviet, even further potential wars were unavoidable. With these technologies, nuking China was technically out of options.

Don't forget the first is always the most difficult and most time-consuming. It's relatively much easier to step on the shoulders of the giants to do further development after the pioneers developed the first. e.g. the first n-bomb in the world, the first airplane, the first tank, etc. No single Chinese at that time, experts or not, ever saw a single missile once with their own eyes yet, let alone having a realistic clue on how to develop a modern one, Qian aside.

Honestly speaking, PRC's level at the time was more or less "rice with rifle", with half a dozen third-hand Soviet old warplanes kept as national treatures, while what Qian brought on board was Nazi Germany V2-alike start-of-art Rocket, ready for any decent payload ! No country posessed such advanced tech except the US and the Soviet, probably not even France or the UK, cerntainly not Germany nad Japan.

Don't forget either that a single brain could change the course of history at the critical moment: e.g. if Einstein were in Germany in WWII. Qian, in my view, was such a critical brain that PRC desperately needed at that critical moment.

Last edited:
a sad news indeed.
china lost a real hero.

Why was he jailed ?

the usa in the height of the McCarthyism jailed him because of suspected ties to communists, even though the ONLY evidence against him is some guy who SAYS he saw the mans name on some communist list. they couldn't produce the list nor say what kind of list it was, after that they revoked all of his security clearances which meant he couldnt work on 90% of his projects and after being house arrested he decides hes gonna return to china cause they are treating him like a traitor even though he worked hard for the us government he was then arrested again for trying to bring secret documents to china which actually turned out to be logarithmic tables and such and he was jailed then as part of the Korean war settlement the us released him to china in return for some service man captured by the chinese, he joined the communist party a while after returning to china and stayed a royal communist, to a fault I'd say.

He is our nation soul!

THANK YOU for all that you contributed to our people. Rest in peace...

Back
Top Bottom