What's new

China's defence budget worries Japan

firstly whats the issue here ?? just that china is building a huge military ??

If japan wants even it can increase its forces...who's stopping ??

Their pacifist constitution and their societal disdain for anything military.

Japan own law does not allow her to own offensive weapon! In reality, Japan have Heli Carriers that can be used as offensive platform.

Yes her own laws..not "International laws". if Japan wants to buid carriers they very well can build carriers.They need to change their own laws not any International law.

I think he meant Japan's pacifist constitution that prohibits offensive weapons (don't know if carrier qualifies, maybe) not international law. Though the fact that America/MacArthur forces the constitution on the Japanese as a second party may qualify it as an international law.

Ironic now that America wants Japan to take more responsibility for her own defense while Japan ditters. Personally I am sick of paying for Japan's defense . We have no money.

Their pacifist constitution and their societal disdain for anything military.

but that shouldnt be a reason for China to stop building forces...its a big country with big population and growing economy so a increased militarisation is justifiable...If japan has a poblem with that they should review their laws and consider growing their forces.

but that shouldnt be a reason for China to stop building forces...its a big country with big population and growing economy so a increased militarisation is justifiable...If japan has a poblem with that they should review their laws and consider growing their forces.

You're missing the point. China's armed forces are not solely to deter Japan, there are bigger concerns across the Pacific.

Ironic now that America wants Japan to take more responsibility for her own defense while Japan ditters. Personally I am sick of paying for Japan's defense . We have no money.

Your government doesn't think so. Gates and Mullen fought tooth and nail to keep those Marine bases. America is broke precisely because of its overseas commitments but it doesn't seem comfortable with letting go of these traditional areas of influence either.

I don't see why the U.S. and Japan should be concerned. Doesn't the U.S. want China to become a more responsible nation and share some of the burdens in the East (at least that is what was stated officially). How can the Chinese accomplish that with limited power projection capabilities? :pop:

I don't see why the U.S. and Japan should be concerned. Doesn't the U.S. want China to become a more responsible nation and share some of the burdens in the East (at least that is what was stated officially). How can the Chinese accomplish that with limited power projection capabilities? :pop:

Well the US is split on this. There are those like the retired JCS Admiral I forget his name and there is the tentative consensus view now of nurturing China as a "responsible global influence" though the other way of thinking shows through from time to time.

You're missing the point. China's armed forces are not solely to deter Japan, there are bigger concerns across the Pacific.

Yeh, like deterring every other country in the pacific region from stopping them take back Taiwan. lol.

Yeh, like deterring every other country in the pacific region from stopping them take back Taiwan. lol.

Taiwan is China's internal matters. I'm sure that is acknowledged, officially, by the U.S., Australia, and Japan.

bigger concerns acroos the pacific!! or for the neighbours in the south
consider the following article

China deploying newer missiles, building roads near India border
China claims its stake over Arunachal Pradesh
China tried to block a $2.9 billion loan to India
Beijing concerned over border dispute
China may be developing contingency plans
Last updated on: August 17, 2010 09:46 IST
this
Ask
Users
Write a
Comment
Next

Despite increased political and economic relationship between India and China, tensions remains along their border with rising instances of border violation and aggressive border patrolling by Chinese soldiers, the Pentagon has informed the United States Congress.

However, a senior defense department official told reporters on condition of anonymity that the US has not observed any anomalous increase in military capabilities along the Indo-China border.

Noting that China continues to maintain its position on what its territorial claim is, the official said, the two capitals Beijing and New Delhi have been able to manage this dispute, in a way, using confidence-building measures and diplomatic mechanisms to be able to maintain relative stability in the border area.

However, a senior defense department official told reporters on condition of anonymity that the US has not observed any anomalous increase in military capabilities along the Indo-China border.

You people really like attention, don't you? Why drag Sino-Indian contention into a thread on China-Japan relations? I'm sure that the anti-Japanese sentiment in China for the past week far surpass the accumulated anti-Indian sentiment that China accumulated for the past century.

You people really like attention, don't you? Why drag Sino-Indian contention into a thread on China-Japan relations? I'm sure that the anti-Japanese sentiment in China for the past week far surpass the accumulated anti-Indian sentiment that China accumulated for the past century.

neither china nor japan lies across pasific............and i was replying to that single line......

any way thanks for accepting that your country has anti india feelings for past century... dont even blame our media either in future for having anti china sentiments

bigger concerns acroos the pacific!! or for the neighbours in the south
consider the following article

China deploying newer missiles, building roads near India border
China claims its stake over Arunachal Pradesh
China tried to block a $2.9 billion loan to India
Beijing concerned over border dispute
China may be developing contingency plans
Last updated on: August 17, 2010 09:46 IST
this
Ask
Users
Write a
Comment
Next

Despite increased political and economic relationship between India and China, tensions remains along their border with rising instances of border violation and aggressive border patrolling by Chinese soldiers, the Pentagon has informed the United States Congress.

Noting that China continues to maintain its position on what its territorial claim is, the official said, the two capitals Beijing and New Delhi have been able to manage this dispute, in a way, using confidence-building measures and diplomatic mechanisms to be able to maintain relative stability in the border area.

You have an over-blown sense of India's importance.

Back
Top Bottom