What's new

China 'trusts prostitutes more'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mig-29

Reaction score
China's prostitutes are better-trusted than its politicians and scientists, according to an online survey published by Insight China magazine.

The survey found that 7.9% of respondents considered sex workers to be trustworthy, placing them third behind farmers and religious workers.

"A list like this is at the same time surprising and embarrassing," said an editorial in the state-run China Daily.

Politicians were far down the list, closer to scientists and teachers.

Insight China polled 3,376 Chinese citizens in June and July this year.

"The sex workers' unexpected prominence on this list of honor... is indeed unusual," said the China Daily editorial.

"At least [the scientists and officials] have not slid into the least credible category which consists of real estate developers, secretaries, agents, entertainers and directors," the editorial said.

Soldiers came in fourth place.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | China 'trusts prostitutes more'

Public trust in China at a new low

BEIJING, Aug 5 — Sex workers are more trustworthy than government officials. And state-published data is “largely falsified”.

These views from a just-published survey confirm the trend of decliningpublic trust in China in recent years, observers said.

The poll of 3,376 people showed that trust in Chinese society had sunk to a new low in the past decade compared to years past, said the state-run Xiaokang magazine which conducted the online survey in June and July this year.

Nine in 10 attributed this to the ultra-competitive — “quick success and instant benefits” — society that China has become.

The state of public trust in China is so deplorable that, as one netizen on the magazine's online forum quipped, “when Chinese people talk about integrity, God laughs”.

While China's economy has grown phenomenally in the 30 years since it unshackled itself from a command system, social inequalities have mounted — and the country's legal system and governance have not kept pace.

A sign of bubbling discontent: a rising tide of mass protests in recent years.

Last year, the government dealt with more than 100,000 mass incidents of civil unrest. Data for this year has not been released, but news reports on clashes between people and local government officials abound.

In the survey in the latest issue of the monthly magazine published by the Chinese Communist Party, participants were asked to rank 49 occupations in terms of trustworthiness.

Their top five picks: farmers, religious workers, sex workers, soldiers and students.

Scientists, teachers and government officials ranked far lower.

At the bottom of the list: real estate bosses, secretaries, brokers, show business celebrities and movie directors.

In a separate poll, some 40 per cent of urban Chinese said they feared that an apartment building in their cities might collapse, after a 13-storey block fell over in Shanghai in June.

At one level, the Xiaokang survey reflects “public sympathy for the underdog in an unjust society”, said Li Fan, a Beijing-based expert on grassroots democracy, in a phone interview.

In a sign that society has lost its moral compass, teachers and officials who were once figures of justice and authority now have little credibility, noted Dr Zhao Litao, a sociologist at the National University of Singapore's East Asian Institute.

The crux of the problem, said scholars, was the erosion of the government's own cachet.

Of those polled, 49 per cent said they were “extremely worried” about the credibility of the government and of the corporate world.

More than 90 per cent said they believed that data published by the state was “largely falsified” or “definitely falsified and cannot be trusted”.

In a similar survey in 2007, less than 80 per cent of those polled were as cynical.

Zhao said: “Trust in the government underpins all trust in any society. In China, people often find they cannot get justice from officials or the courts.”

The blame lies primarily with local officials, said Mr Li, who heads a non-governmental research institute dedicated to mutual understanding between China and the world.

While ordinary Chinese usually hold the central authorities in high regard, local officials' repeated bungling has sparked social unrest and eroded trust at the grassroots, he said.

“Local officials should act as a neutral party working for the benefit of ordinary people, but they are instead often fighting with regular folk for land, fees or other sorts of interest,” he said.

If Beijing's aura of credibility is worn down as well, said Li, 'there will be even more social unrest because the Chinese don't have a tradition of sitting down to solve problems”.

The slide in public trust needs to be arrested, argued an editorial in the state-owned China Daily yesterday.

It said: “The first step...is to put an end to public servants being alienated from public interest.” — Straits Times

Public trust in China at a new low

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...worthy-than-officials-in-china-survey--szh-03

Last edited:
Why shouldn't prostitutes be trusted? In fact they have no reason to lie or cheat you than any other person. "While ordinary Chinese usually hold the central authorities in high regard, local officials' repeated bungling has sparked social unrest and eroded trust at the grassroots, he said." This is contrary to most Westerners who are brainwashed to think their own government is "great".... so who is the brainwashed one now? :)

Also this is from Strait Times which is biased against PRC -- and you MUST ADMIT that PRC publishes alot of stuff that "Western/Zio Media" doesn't. When was the last time I saw a poll asking me who I trust from my government??? Not once have I been asked to participate in a poll like this in the West. :) Goes against the whole RSS about China censorship doesn't it?!!

You will be pleasantly surprised how open China is. People discuss all sorts of topics, yes even political ones (contrary to claims by fundamental westerners/hindus) :) For instance the top level actually spend time to chat and blog online -- something that is welcomed. In fact, this doesn't come as a surprise, since about a few years ago smart people at the top realized the potential (not threat) the INTERNET can be.

The Internet is a fast, and representative way to get views from the public. And they use the public views to improve. Examples include the Sichuan equake, the Beijing Games, the Rebiya/WUC terror attack, and people's opinions. Fact is Chinese people are very intelligent and out-spoken and honest. They will speak their minds. :)

you trust china's online survey?haha,i vote lot ,most time just for funny and abreaction,public trust is a problem in china because of the fast growth like lot of thing, but this 'trusts prostitutes more' propaganda made a greatly exaggerated judgement.thanks for making me haha anyway......

you trust china's online survey?haha,i vote lot ,most time just for funny and abreaction,public trust is a problem in china because of the fast growth like lot of thing, but this 'trusts prostitutes more' propaganda made a greatly exaggerated judgement.thanks for making me haha anyway......

Comrade what do you mean? Please elaborate, I'm interested in what you mean. :angel:

India, Europe, America......all looking for every oppertunity to defame China.

I think, these days all of these above mentioned countries probabily using more then 50% of chinees products.

This states proves that they trust more on Chinees technology then even their own.

there are over 300million netizens in china ,but you won't get the real public opinion through online surveys ,70% of them is under 30 years old,it's the same group will be interest in online surveys,they are under big pressure of tough competition in city, internet is important way to release their stress, that mean the result will be very irrational in most cases,i will vote for prostitutes too if i have a chance,just for fun,no one will take this seriously,those well-known web sites won't even take "prostitute" as a option if they are doing the trust surveys ,prostitution is illegal in china......

Last edited:
:rofl:

I think CPC should publish this as a red head "party document" for carders of every level to study and meditate. Some kind of symposium is highly recommended for discussion.

Only through this, would CPC be more purified. Sweeping problems under rug never works.

Seriously.

BTW, I'd like to find a version of this report in Chinese to identify the authentication.

Last edited:
there are over 300million netizens in china ,but you won't get the real public opinion through online surveys ,70% of them is under 30 years old,it's the same group will be interest in online surveys,they are under big pressure of tough competition in city, internet is important way to release their stress, that mean the result will be very irrational in most cases,i will vote for prostitutes too if i have a chance,just for fun,no one will take this seriously,those well-known web sites won't even take "prostitute" as a option if they are doing the trust surveys ,prostitution is illegal in china......

Recent appearance of Internet mob is another true concern.

The aftermath of Hu Bin traffic accidence happened in Hangzhou demonstrated it in full, alleging that the sentenced Mr. Hu is fake to disturb mass discontents.

ShaoGuan riot against Uighurs stirred by an Internet mob is no less a problem, which is part of the cause of 7/15 bloody incidence in Xinjiang.

I believe China needs more transparency in governance.

Recent appearance of Internet mob is another true concern.

The aftermath of Hu Bin traffic accidence happened in Hangzhou demonstrated it in full, alleging that the sentenced Mr. Hu is fake to disturb mass discontents.

ShaoGuan riot against Uighurs stirred by an Internet mob is no less a problem, which is part of the cause of 7/15 bloody incidence in Xinjiang.

I believe China needs more transparency in governance.

You are on to something BIG! More important, we need to trace these FALSE RUMORS to their sources. In many causes they originate abroad, like in Germany. This is solid evidence of foreign implicity. Time for payback at their own game. :cheers:

Yes, you are most correct. I read somewhere this was published on China Daily so I thought this was authentic survey --- but now that you mention it, the ONLY "news" source where I heard this from has been from Zio-Western. Mmmmm????? Where's the original survey? :sniper:

Just goes to show the quality of lower-level politicians in China.

Just goes to show the quality of lower-level politicians in China.

In all fairness, in China when an official is involved in a 100,000 yuan (approx $15,000) corruption case -- IT IS BIG NEWS. Think about it, just $15,000 --- come on, even with purchase-price-parity (PPP) that's only about $60,000.

Do you know in the West corruption is easily in the $BILLIONS, and $MILLIONS. I'll give a recent example: In my city there's a metro-upgrade project. They are going to add only a few extra stops, all this is surface rail, nothing fancy or difficult. Real cost for upgrade is only around $50 million MAX -- but the local government is awarding to a private companies (which they have a "hand in") over HALF A BILLION DOLLARS!!! Do the math my friend. Where did all the TRILLIONS in stimulus money go??? :disagree:

In all fairness, in China when an official is involved in a 100,000 yuan (approx $15,000) corruption case -- IT IS BIG NEWS. Think about it, just $15,000 --- come on, even with purchase-price-parity (PPP) that's only about $60,000.

Do you know in the West corruption is easily in the $BILLIONS, and $MILLIONS. I'll give a recent example: In my city there's a metro-upgrade project. They are going to add only a few extra stops, all this is surface rail, nothing fancy or difficult. Real cost for upgrade is only around $50 million MAX -- but the local government is awarding to a private companies (which they have a "hand in") over HALF A BILLION DOLLARS!!! Do the math my friend. Where did all the TRILLIONS in stimulus money go??? :disagree:

Hongkong have the best anti-corruption system in the world,mainland really should "copy" this one ,those local officials get too much authority, we can't expect every corruption case will be exposed through"internet",we alway can see the shadow of corruption behind those mining accidents,CPC have to face this system flaw,it's time to change, “harmonious society” will always be a dream if they don't take this seriously

Last edited:
Hongkong have the best anti-corruption system in the world,mainland really should "copy" one,those local officials get too much authority, we can't expect every corruption case will be exposed through"internet",we alway can see the shadow of corruption behind those mining accidents,CPC have to face this system flaw,it's time to change, “harmonious society” will always be a dream if they don't take this seriously

I truly believe most people want to do good, they just fall into temptations. Also, corruption is subjective. Let me give this example:

If a rich family gives inheritance to their children, this would further compound the disparity between rich & poor -- this can also be called "corruption". But isn't it the right for people to DECIDE who they give to? Isn't that the basis of "Right-to-Property"?

In life answers aren't as simple as we like. :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom