What's new

China-Tibet Relations, Past & Present

Anyways ignoring rant by shchinese as usual he is good at trolling in this civilized forum.:crazy:

Tibet will be free: Dalai Lama

By Lobsang Wangyal
BYLAKUPPE, India, 25 February 2009 (Tibet Sun)

The Dalai Lama said that the Tibetan issue is bound to be resolved as China is reeling through chaos.

“China is in chaos, and therefore a change will come to China, which will bring freedom in Tibet”

China does not have the communist principles any more. Today’s China is a ‘totalitarian capitalist’ system.”

The Dalai Lama was speaking to Tibetans in Bylakuppe on the first day of the Tibetan New Year of 2136. He conferred a long life empowerment in the morning and gave a public speech in the afternoon, dwelling on topics such as morality, politics, education, environment, economy, organic farming and health.

Autonomy for Tibet through his ‘Middle-way’ policy, he says, is the most feasible for Tibetans under the current circumstances. He said that the policy receive support not only from the international community but also from Chinese scholars and activists.

“We received more than 300 letters from Chinese who support the middle-way policy.”

The Dalai Lama is no more seeking an independent Tibet, but autonomy for Tibet since 1979. However, China has not responded to his calls.

He said that the Tibetan issue is not about civil war in their country, but it is about intrusion of their land by an ‘uninvited guest’.

China, however, accuses the Dalai Lama a separatist, and claims Tibet to be their territory since ancient times.

China expects Tibet to celebrate, or else
Instead of planning festivities to mark their beloved New Year's, Tibetans want to remember those who died in last year's protests against Chinese rule. But Beijing has other ideas.

By Barbara Demick
23 February 2009 (Los Angeles Times)
Chinese security forces stand in formation in front of their convoy of trucks along the main road leading into the town of Kangding in Sichuan

Chinese security forces stand in formation in front of their convoy of trucks along the main road leading into the town of Kangding in Sichuan province 23 February 2009. Tibetans in Kangding, a town historically part of Tibet and heavily populated by them, are preparing to mark their new year on 25 February amid heavy security. This year’s anniversary is extra sensitive as 2009 also marks the 50th anniversary of flight into exile of Tibet’s spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, after an abortive uprising against Chinese rule.Reuters/David Gray/China

The Chinese government has a New Year’s greeting for Tibetans: Celebrate, or else.

The Tibetan New Year, or Losar, is normally the most festive holiday of the year, when Tibetans burn incense, make special dumplings and set off fireworks. But this year, Tibetans have declared a moratorium on celebrating their own holiday, saying they will instead observe a mourning period for people killed last year during protests against Chinese rule.

The 15-day holiday begins Wednesday, and as it approaches, tensions are rising. In the last few weeks, the Chinese government has closed large swaths of western China to foreign visitors — not just Tibet itself, but parts of provinces with large Tibetan populations.

Nearly a year after the violent demonstrations reportedly left more than 120 dead, Tibetans are trying a novel technique for nonviolent protest. “Say No to Losar,” as the campaign is called, was launched by Tibetan groups in Dharamshala, India, the Dalai Lama’s home in exile.

“Instead of the usual celebrations marked by singing, dancing and other festivities, silence will be observed and butter lamps will be lit in the temples and homes to pray for the deceased,” they announced in a statement last month.

The tactic appears to be driving Chinese authorities crazy. They’re countering with their own campaign of forced merriment, organising concerts, pageants, fireworks, horse races, archery competitions. They’ve declared a one-week public holiday beginning today in Tibet and are offering free admission to museums and parks.

The Communist Party in Tibet also gave vouchers worth $120 each to 37,000 low-income families to shop for the holidays.

To further tempt the 2.8 million Tibetans, state television will broadcast a four-hour gala with 800 performers Tuesday night.

“They want to show that the Tibetan people are happy, that they have returned to normal life. But by intervening, they’re making them unhappy,” said Tsering Shayka, a Tibetan historian now living in Canada. “They are trying to come up with gimmicks instead of solving the problem.”

Robert Barnett, a Tibet expert at Columbia University in New York, says that Chinese efforts to push New Year’s celebrations are likely to backfire.

“I think people will ask, ‘Why is the Communist Party telling me what to do in my own home?’ ” Barnett said.

At Beijing’s Central University for Nationalities, Tibetan students who had applied last year for permission to hold a Losar celebration informed the university recently that they wished to cancel. But the university told them that the party must go on, said a university source who asked not to be quoted by name.

“Celebrating is compulsory,” he said.

As the holiday nears, tensions are spilling into the open.

On 14 February, a 39-year-old Tibetan monk set off a furor when he walked through a public market in the Tibetan plateau’s Lithang county carrying a photograph of the Dalai Lama and chanting, “No Losar.” Hundreds of people reportedly joined the protests, which continued into the next two days, according to the Dharamshala-based Tibetan Centre for Human Rights and Democracy. The group said that Chinese police detained 21 people, some of whom were badly beaten, and that the county has been locked down for the holiday.

Reports say that as many as 20,000 additional soldiers and paramilitary troops have been deployed in Tibetan areas and that in Qinghai province, village leaders were threatened with arrest if they urged people not to celebrate the holiday.

Even among Tibetans, there is a vigorous debate about the campaign to boycott Losar. The holiday, which dates back to pre-Buddhist times, is the most beloved in the Tibetan calendar and involves elaborate rituals and meals. Families traditionally make a soup with special dumplings in which they hide various items — chile pepper, wool, charcoal — and family members read their fortune by which dumpling they pick.

“The very idea that there won’t be any Losar is, let’s admit it, a little bit like calling off Christmas in a Christian community,” one Tibetan blogger complained.

In addition to the tension over the holiday, next month will bring the 50-year anniversary of a failed anti-Chinese uprising, after which the Dalai Lama fled to India. The date has traditionally been a trigger for protests within Tibet, and this year might be especially tense because the Chinese plan to mark the occasion with a celebration of what they are calling “Serf Emancipation Day.” The Chinese government says it liberated the Tibetans from brutal feudal serfdom.

In a preemptive strike against another flare-up of violence, the Chinese have held thousands of Tibetans at a detention centre east of Lhasa, according to bloggers in the Tibetan capital.

The Chinese also have launched a crackdown in Tibetan regions on out-of-town visitors without residency permits. Foreign tourists have been banned until at least April, people in the tourist industry said.

“It is going to be a very sensitive time. When the Tibetan New Year is finished, then it will be the one-year anniversary of the riots,” said a Tibetan tour guide who asked not to be quoted by name.

He said foreigners would not be sold plane or train tickets if they tried to get into Tibetan areas. “You can’t get in if they don’t want you in.”

Sh chinese how ignorent you are how can chinese media quote such things , You will be dead once you go against goverment. thats why the end of china is sure, world needs democracy, Communism is like having a pet dog give him good food and shelter, but he can never be human as he dont know what is freedom. I hope one day people of china realise this. If not come to india and i show you how you can put your point across. A so called sepratist party in kashmir is active and is able to say what it want , DO you think thats even remotly possible in china answer is
BIG NO!!!!!!!
Prove me that you have freedom of media in china or shut up and agree to what whole world knows!

Sh chinese how ignorent you are how can chinese media quote such things , You will be dead once you go against goverment. thats why the end of china is sure, world needs democracy, Communism is like having a pet dog give him good food and shelter, but he can never be human as he dont know what is freedom. I hope one day people of china realise this. If not come to india and i show you how you can put your point across. A so called sepratist party in kashmir is active and is able to say what it want , DO you think thats even remotly possible in china answer is
BIG NO!!!!!!!
Prove me that you have freedom of media in china or shut up and agree to what whole world knows!

I have been posting articles that against the Chinese government for at least 10 years. for example:

I don't agree the current defense planning where only 2% of the GDP is allocated.
I don't agree the current military regime which refused to invoke preemptive attacks on India after last year's riot in Tibet.

I don't agree the current defense planning where only 2% of the GDP is allocated.
I don't agree the current military regime which refused to invoke preemptive attacks on India after last year's riot in Tibet.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Dear shchinese, if the above instances are examples of your 'disagreement' with your government then I can imagine what examples of your 'agreement' will sound like!! If you were living in India then your examples of 'disagreeing' with your government would have been:

1)I don't agree with the current defence planning where 2% of the GDP is being allocated to defence, the govt should allocate less to defence and more towards other sectors.

2)I don't agree with the Govt's actions in Kashmir.

The above are cases of how people 'DISAGREE' in a 'DEMOCRACY'.

P.S: Your mention of your government not invoking pre-emptive stikes against India in response to last year's Tibet riots shows that there are sane people at the helm of affairs in China. Good for China!:china:

P.S: Your mention of your government not invoking pre-emptive stikes against India in response to last year's Tibet riots shows that there are sane people at the helm of affairs in China. Good for China!:china:

when your government is hosting the terrorist group called Tibetan Youth Congress which calls for suicidal attacks against Chinese civil targets, your regime deserve to be attacked and removed.

the truth that your democratic government won't tell you:
Tibetan Youth Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, its manifesto implies the loss of life,[1] and Tsewang Rigzin, the president of the organisation, who was born and raised in the United States, in an interview with the Italian daily Corriere della Sera did not rule out future suicide attacks.

shocked by the fact that your government is hosting terrorist groups? I am not surprised at all. the Indian regime has been doing this for decades.

cnn is american but bbc is British anyways, no media is bigger propaganda than chinese media, its worst than Russia media, at least Russian media can say after approval from govt. chinese media only says what government says.

maybe better than Rediff,which has proved to be an outandout liar.

Your response made NO sense at all - actually you side-stepped the issue of human rights completely. Must be inconvenient truths..

Here is yet another link - why do you need to lock down free Chinese citizens??

Well, I find no needs to repeat what I've said to you,coz you seem to care more about your own "political correctness" other than Tibetans. likewise, it makes no sense to talk with a guy who can only pick up words from the tibetan government in exile or silly free tibet groups. miserably the former lives on lies and US fund, while the latter don't even know a thing about Tibet.

The Dalai Lama ever said in 1987 that 1mln Tibetans got killed by PLA in 1959, while there were totally no more than 500 thousand Tibeteans by 1949.

The Tibetean government in exile reported an easy number of 100 Tibetans "killed" last year, suggesting it was commited by Chinese security force,but they can't even namelist the "Victims", and they always avoid to talk about those innocent people who were stoned and burned to death in the riot last year.

One of the burned dead young girl was Tibetan, how can you conclude that Tibetans in Tibet would support the Free tibet groups?

What a shame!

Why did you need to tighten up security inspection at airports after 911?
Would you like to see American clergymen preaching to you with a gun?
you may enjoy that but sorry,in China it is illegal.

and you must've been winning Muslim hearts over the world with your tender cares and the freaky "justice".

Use your head and try a question:
A ensalved your family, raped your sisters and treated them as cattles.
B drove out the person who had done all above to your family,though he doesn't adopt your belief.

whom do you think an uprising should be hold against?

Well, I find no needs to repeat what I've said to you,coz you seem to care more about your own "political correctness" other than Tibetans. likewise, it makes no sense to talk with a guy who can only pick up words from the tibetan government in exile or silly free tibet groups. miserably the former lives on lies and US fund, while the latter don't even know a thing about Tibet.

The Dalai Lama ever said in 1987 that 1mln Tibetans got killed by PLA in 1959, while there were totally no more than 500 thousand Tibeteans by 1949.

The Tibetean government in exile reported an easy number of 100 Tibetans "killed" last year, suggesting it was commited by Chinese security force,but they can't even namelist the "Victims", and they always avoid to talk about those innocent people who were stoned and burned to death in the riot last year.

One of the burned dead young girl was Tibetan, how can you conclude that Tibetans in Tibet would support the Free tibet groups?

What a shame!

Why did you need to tighten up security inspection at airports after 911?
Would you like to see American clergymen preaching to you with a gun?
you may enjoy that but sorry,in China it is illegal.

and you must've been winning Muslim hearts over the world with your tender cares and the freaky "justice".

Use your head and try a question:
A ensalved your family, raped your sisters and treated them as cattles.
B drove out the person who had done all above to your family,though he doesn't adopt your belief.

whom do you think an uprising should be hold against?

You are simply AMAZING at fabricating nonsense with out ever providing a single link to substantiate your views:rofl:

Here is another link - British this time - since us evil Americans only have propaganda!!

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | China bars foreigners from Tibet

Why are you afraid of letting foreigners into Tibet? what are you trying to hide? I notice you say you live in Australia - or at least you had an Aussie flag ( that is now gone).. Obviously we are not afraid to let you in.. Here is the article. Now can you provide facts via links or do you have to ask your party leader's permission??

Foreign tourists planning to visit Tibet have been told by travel agencies that the region has been closed to outsiders until the end of March.

The month marks the 50th anniversary of the escape into exile of the Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.

In March last year, Tibet witnessed a wave of violent anti-China protests - the worst unrest there for 20 years.

Tibetan exiles are planning to boycott their own New Year celebrations on Wednesday in protest at Chinese rule.

The Dalai Lama has called for Tibetans not to celebrate New Year, or Losar, partly in memory of those killed or jailed in a crackdown after last year's riots.

China said at least 18 people were killed during the unrest. Rights groups and activists say about 200 people were killed and several hundred more are still missing.

China does not allow foreign journalists unrestricted access to Tibet or restive areas surrounding it, making it extremely difficult to verify reports from the region.

'Civil disobedience'

"This year it's going to be observed as a day of prayer in memory of all the Tibetans who died and all those who are still suffering under Chinese rule," Tenzin Taklha, the Dalai Lama's India-based spokesman, was quoted by AFP as saying.
The Dalai Lama wants Tibetans to remember those who died in the riots

Groups representing Tibetans-in-exile have described the move as an "act of civil disobedience" against Chinese "repression".

The defiant stance comes amid reports by human rights groups of increased security in Tibet and neighbouring Tibetan-populated regions of western China.

Last year's protests took the Chinese authorities by surprise, and the BBC's James Reynolds in Beijing says the state wants to make sure that there is no repeat.

The BBC has also been told privately by senior Chinese sources that no foreign journalists will be allowed into the region during March.

Travel agencies say that permits already issued to foreigners have been cancelled.

However, Chinese foreign ministry official Ma Zhaoxu told the BBC that Tibet currently enjoys social stability and growth, and that foreigners can apply to visit the region through normal channels.

Opposing views

China has ruled Tibet since 1951 and views it as an integral part of its territory.

It believes that the Chinese Communist Party liberated the Tibetan people from the oppressive feudal rule of the Dalai Lama, following a failed 1959 uprising against Chinese rule.

On 28 March 1959 the Communist Party announced the dissolution of the existing local government in Tibet - following the Dalai Lama's flight a few days' beforehand.

China says that this move freed about one million Tibetans from serfdom and slavery.

But to Tibetan groups in exile, the events of March 1959 and the exile of the Dalai Lama were a tragedy.

The Dalai Lama has said he does not want independence for Tibet, only meaningful autonomy.

cnn is american but bbc is British anyways, no media is bigger propaganda than chinese media, its worst than Russia media, at least Russian media can say after approval from govt. chinese media only says what government says.
yes,bigger propaganda,but I really doubt if you hear more voice from this "bigger propagande" than from CNN,BBC.I even doubt if you know how to receive Chinese TV or broadcast?is there any Chinese channel in your TV or radio?is there any Chinese news paper on your table?which is the "bigger propagande"?

I guess you can't read Chinese,but we can read both Chinese and English.you can't read infos from Sina.com,but we can read infos both from Sina.com and CNN.com.

there is a old saying in China.you will be wise if you listen to both side,you will be fooled if you listen to one side.

I know the style of Chinese propaganda,and we know the style of West.
frankly speaking.the style of Chinese offacial Propaganda is delay, conservative and unclear sometimes.but no more rumors than West.Chinese government hate rumors very much.rumors always come from West side,the WMD of Iraq is a rumor,the Tibet massacre is a rumor.rumors always come from West,always.Chinese government hate these rumors.

giving there are 10 news really happen.if you read Chinese propaganda,you would find only 7 news,but in most cases are truth,if you read west news,there may be 15,the additional 5 are rumors.that is their styles,my opinion.

“China is in chaos, and therefore a change will come to China, which will bring freedom in Tibet”
then you might waitting for another thousand years,if you guys believe him:rofl:.I'm a common citizen,I know what is the "chaos" look like in China.

“We received more than 300 letters from Chinese who support the middle-way policy.”
it's easy to collect 300 letters from a nation with population over 1.3 billion,but if you come to China,you might find it's more easier to collect 3 thousand letters oppose this idea.just like we can collect 300 letters from Indians who think it is correct to let Kashmir be independent.

Last edited:
"Say No to Losar," as the campaign is called, was launched by Tibetan groups in Dharamsala, India, the Dalai Lama's home in exile.

1) This provides yet another hard evidence that it is Dalai Lama who is jeopardizing Tibetan culture. He is hijacking Tibetan culture (Losar celebration) for his personal profit. It is quite understandable, since CCP has deprived those Lama's barbarously inhumane privileges of conducting cruelty, including but not limited to skinning their slaves alive.

2) The source of evilness is again from Dharamsala, India. Maybe this is yet another stimulus for Chinese military to consider a surgical strike against TYC in Dharamsala.

The show will go on.

... the BBC's James Reynolds in Beijing says the state wants to make sure that there is no repeat.

Did I see James Reynolds? :lol: Another funny clown in BBC circus. :rofl:

My out-right, fact-telling posts on his blog surely annoyed him beyond his myopically democratic brain can bear.

For instance, he said how he enjoyed visiting Potala Palace, and seeing lama’s bad and felt how lovely the Lama is. I then asked him if he ever visited the place where skull bones and human skins surrendered by Lama’s slave were exhibited, and how beloved Lama indeed was. He removed my posts in no time.

In his current topic “Losing their heads” talking about French auction of looted Chinese treasure, I posted the following two messages, both have broken their House Rule, :rofl: and been erased. :lol: :tdown:

1) Quote “sale by public auction offers the best opportunity for items to be repatriated as a result of worldwide exposure.”

More than that. Other distinct benefits for those items to be left in Westerners’ hand are:

It will repeatedly remind the Chinese, within China and overseas, of brutal pillage and crime conducted by Eight-Nation Alliance (Austria-Hungary, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States ) in China in 1800s.

Let the people of the world know that the nature of some of these people hasn’t been changed much since their ancestors: it remains that of greediness in 1800s.

2) To 23, modagr8:

You are absolutely right.

This is like a robber who robs you your property and gives you a fraction of the profit through running your property. And now the robber tells you: ”You should be thankful”.

To the robber, it sounds very generous. But to you, it is an insult.

Sorry for the off topic, but somehow related.

A few hours later after I posted above messages, BBC released my posts.

Is this board monitored by them or what?

Let me take back part, not all, my comments. :D

Tibetan monk 'shot' while on fire

Chinese authorities are trying to stop protests by Tibetans
A Tibetan monk has been shot after setting fire to himself during a protest at Beijing's rule, reports say.
The incident happened in the Tibetan-populated town of Aba in southwest China's Sichuan province during a gathering of more than 1,000 monks.
The monk, named Tapey, is said to have shouted slogans and waved a Tibetan flag, then doused himself with petrol and set himself alight.
Campaign groups said witnesses then saw
Chinese police shoot the man.
Banned meeting
The monk collapsed and was taken away by the police.
China's official Xinhua news agency confirmed a man had set himself on fire, saying he was taken to a hospital and treated for burns injuries. It made no mention of any gunshot wounds.
The protest began after more than 1,000 Tibetan Buddhist monks gathered at a temple in the town to celebrate the third day of the Tibetan new year.
Chinese officials had earlier banned the gathering.
After the incident, news agencies reported a heavy police presence on the streets of the town.
"There are many policemen on patrol in the street and all of them have guns," an employee at a teahouse in Aba told the AFP news agency.
It is extremely difficult to independently confirm any information coming out of Tibetan areas.
China's authorities have restricted access to the region.
Next month marks the 50th anniversary of the escape into exile of the Dalai Lama and China wants to make sure there are no Tibetan protests in support of the exiled spiritual leader like those of a year ago, says the BBC's James Reynolds in Beijing.
More than 200 Tibetans are thought to have been killed in a Chinese crackdown in the region, which it has ruled since an invasion in 1950.
China claims Tibet is part of its historic territory, but Tibetan groups in exile regard the invasion as a tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom