What's new

China-Taiwan reunification

Yes, otherwise I wouldn't be writing any of this stuff. :wave:

That is cool! Can you tell us what the common sentiment that the average Taiwanese person has towards the mainland? I've been hearing disputing reports but I'm inclined to believe that they are friendly towards the mainland.

That is cool! Can you tell us what the common sentiment that the average Taiwanese person has towards the mainland? I've been hearing disputing reports but I'm inclined to believe that they are friendly towards the mainland.

I have known a few Taiwanese people, and I think they are generally quite positive towards China.

As for Hong Kong:

Hongkongers becoming more Chinese as handover recedes - The Standard

Even BEFORE the handover, most Hong Kong people will identify themselves as simply "Chinese".

As for me personally, I have always used PRC flags in my profile, because I have always considered Hong Kong to be a part of China, even long before the handover. Just visit Hong Kong and you will see that it is a Chinese city, with a 95% Han Chinese population, and an overwhelmingly Chinese culture.

My total number of relatives is over 50. If I try to name them all, I can probably get close to 100.

Anyway, it is quite simple.

98% of Taiwanese know that they are Han. If you're not sure, take a look at your surname. There you go; you're Han.

A Han identity isn't worth much without Mainland China. All of the history, culture, and dead ancestors are in China. Hence, Taiwanese are Hans that must reunite with the other 1,300,000,000 Hans on Mainland China.

Hopefully, I will be able to see the historic signing ceremony of the "one country, two systems" 50-year agreement within my lifetime. It would be really bad feng shui to die and miss the signing of the historic agreement.

By the way, just ignore the Taiwan press. The extreme liberal elements have control of Taiwan's media and they do not represent the mainstream of Taiwanese society. And, for God's sake, don't read Taipei Times. I used to read them, but they have become strongly anti-China. I can't tell the difference between Fox News and Taipei Times anymore.

The bottom line is that mainstream Taiwanese society want eventual reunification. However, as a conservative Confucian society, Taiwanese want guarantees that reunification will not bring drastic disruptions to their current way-of-life. Hence, we are seeing a step-by-step reunification of China and Taiwan.

Firstly, there were the Three Links. Now, there is the ECFA. As transportation, economic, cultural, and social links are built brick-by-brick, Taiwanese will grow comfortable in the next few decades with the prospect of signing a "one country, two systems" agreement with China.

Last edited:
Anyway, it is quite simple.

98% of Taiwanese know that they are Han. If you're not sure, take a look at your surname. There you go; you're Han.

A Han identity isn't worth much without Mainland China. All of the history, culture, and dead ancestors are in China. Hence, Taiwanese are Hans that must reunite with the other 1,300,000,000 Hans on Mainland China.

Hopefully, I will be able to see the historic signing ceremony of the "one country, two systems" 50-year agreement within my lifetime. It would be really bad feng shui to die and miss the signing of the historic agreement.

I would love to see a peaceful reunification in my lifetime as well. :cheers:

My surname (陳) is quite common in Hong Kong and Guangdong, but I don't know if it is that common in the rest of China.

All of the history, culture, and dead ancestors are in China.

That's right. I think all/most Chinese people overseas have an emotional connection to their ancestral homeland. My ancestors are from Guangdong, and they are mostly Hakka in origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakka_people

My surname (陳) is quite common in Hong Kong and Guangdong, but I don't know if it is that common in the rest of China.

That's right. I think all/most Chinese people overseas have an emotional connection to their ancestral homeland. My ancestors are from Guangdong, and they are mostly Hakka in origin.

Hakka people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

your last name of Chen is the #1 most common last name in Taiwan. There are also some Hakka in Taiwans. In general, most Taiwanese are more interested in making money. At the same time, they do not want give up the democratic government. So they are happy the way things are now. As for reunification, that is something most Taiwanese can wait to discuss in the future.

My surname is #41 on the latest 2006 list. You might want to look for your surname at the following link: List of common Chinese surnames - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh shoot, what a coincidence, my last name is (陳) also, take a guess whats my full name, hint=foundation of a country, a very popular name in HK.
I am a native from Lamma island, i 'm also entitle to a letter"B" land with very low cost to build my own house.:yahoo:
On topic, my biggest wish will be witnessing the reunification of China-Taiwan in my life time after HK.:cheers:

Oh shoot, what a coincidence, my last name is (陳) also, take a guess whats my full name, hint=foundation of a country, a very popular name in HK.
I am a native from Lamma island, i 'm also entitle to a letter"B" land with very low cost to build my own house.:yahoo:
On topic, my biggest wish will be witnessing the reunification of China-Taiwan in my life time after HK.:cheers:

We probably shouldn't give out our full names on the internet, but I agree that my biggest wish is also for all Chinese to have a peaceful reunification. :cheers:

Thanks. :cheers:

Wow, apparently 陳 (Chan/Chen) is the most popular surname in Hong Kong, Guangdong, Zhejiang, Fujian, Taiwan and Singapore.

Chen (surname) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My last name "吕" is considerably less common in China today as it did during the past. It is easy to write but is really difficult to pronounce in English so I go with "Lu". My name has been a bit of embarassment for me when I was in China because I used to be the butt of all the "donkey" jokes.

How common is my last name in Hong Kong and Taiwan? (I know about Annette Lu and yes, it was also a bit embarrasing to share her lastname).

陳 (Chan/Chen) people I have met all have pretty and handsome faces.They are the original Han Chinese I think base on my historical knowledge.

Thanks. :cheers:

Wow, apparently 陳 (Chan/Chen) is the most popular surname in Hong Kong, Guangdong, Zhejiang, Fujian, Taiwan and Singapore!

Chen (surname) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On my mother's side, they are all named Chen. My maternal grandmother has 12 siblings. My grandmother has four children. They had a bunch of kids.

I'm not sure about the exact figure, but my mother's side has contributed substantially to the popularity of the Chen surname.

Last edited:
My last name "吕" is considerably less common in China today as it did during the past. It is easy to write but is really difficult to pronounce in English so I go with "Lu". My name has been a bit of embarassment for me when I was in China because I used to be the butt of all the "donkey" jokes.

How common is my last name in Hong Kong and Taiwan? (I know about Annette Lu and yes, it was also a bit embarrasing to share her lastname).

Yes I've definitely seen that name before in Hong Kong, it is written as "Lui" in Cantonese. I'm not sure how common it is though.

You're right, it's very hard for Westerners to pronounce the "Lü" sound. There is no corresponding sound in English, they just end up saying "Lu" or "Lew". :azn:

In general I think Westerners have a hard time pronouncing any Chinese name... but at least they try hard. :lol:

Ray Lui share the same sir-name with you and I think he is pretty handsome guy.

Back
Top Bottom