What's new

China Space Military:Recon, Satcom, Navi, ASAT/BMD, Orbital Vehicle, SLV, etc.

China launches 23rd BeiDou navigation satellite
Source: Xinhua | 2016-06-13 01:18:31 | Editor: huaxia

135430929_14657749391641n.jpg

XICHANG, June 13, 2016 (Xinhua) -- A Long March-3C carrier rocket carrying the 23rd satellite in the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) lifts off from Xichang Satellite Launch Center, southwest China's Sichuan Province, June 12, 2016. China launched a satellite to support its global navigation and positioning network at 11:30 p.m. Sunday. (Xinhua/Yang Zhiyuan)

XICHANG, Sichuan, June 13 (Xinhua) -- China launched a satellite to support its global navigation and positioning network at 11:30 p.m. Sunday.

The satellite, launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province, was taken into orbit by a Long March-3C carrier rocket. It is the 23rd satellite in the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS), which is being developed as an alternative to U.S. GPS.

It was the 229th launch of the Long March carrier rocket.

The satellite, after entering its designed work orbit and finishing in-orbit testing, will join others already in orbit and improve the stability of the system, preparing for BDS to offer global coverage.

With this Chinese Beidou Space Time Watch already available on the market, who is going to buy those Swiss watches any more?

BDTH offers:
High accuracy: 50 ns( 0.00000005 second)
Global positioning
Global navigation
Memorizing 100 passing locations
Direct reception from Beisou satellites

4.jpg

With this Chinese Beidou Space Time Watch already available on the market, who is going to buy those Swiss watches any more?

The far bigger reason to buy Swiss watches is their shear perfection, and luxury, and the vintage style of mechanical clocks. It is a luxury item.

But how can the average Indian afford such a watch when the GDP per capita is $1700 USD/year?

They don't.

A swiss watch in India is a very niche thing. It is in fact niche in most places.

But, the poster compared it with replacing swiss watches, which I disagree with, because the people who are spending so much on swiss watches, are doing so for luxury, finesse, and elegance.

BDTH offers:
High accuracy: 50 ns( 0.00000005 second)
Global positioning
Global navigation
Memorizing 100 passing locations
Direct reception from Beisou satellites

View attachment 310830

Impressive for Beidou.

BeiDou targets global users around 2020

China's homegrown navigation system, the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS), will cover the whole globe with a constellation of 35 satellites by 2020, according to a white paper released by the State Council Information Office (SCIO) on Thursday elaborating on the action plan for the BeiDou, which has been independently developed and operated by China.

China has formulated a three-step strategy for developing the BDS, said the government report.

This is the first white paper on the navigation satellite system. It is also the 100th white paper released by the SCIO.

Initially, China aimed to provide services to domestic users. The following stage featured the expansion of the network to cover the Asia-Pacific region, which was achieved by the end of 2012.

Currently, B1I and B2I open service signals are being broadcast by the operating BDS-2, providing open services to the Asia-Pacific region free of charge, according to the white paper.

The services cover an area between 55 degrees north latitude and 55 degrees south latitude, and between 55 and 180 degrees east longitude, with positioning accuracy less than 10 meters, velocity measurement accuracy less than 0.2 meters per second, and timing accuracy less than 50 nanoseconds.

BDS spokesperson Ran Chengqi told a press conference Thursday that tests in the Asia-Pacific region showed the system to be performing well.

Ran, who is also director of China's Satellite Navigation System management office, said in priority cities including Beijing and Urumqi, the capital city of northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, positioning accuracy was less than 5 meters.

The same result can be duplicated in low latitude countries, such as Thailand, according to Ran.

The BDS will provide all-time, all-weather and high-accuracy positioning, navigation and timing services to global users, according to the document.

The BeiDou project was formally launched in 1994, however, the first BeiDou satellite was not launched until 2000. The 23rd satellite was launched Sunday.

In addition to providing continuous, stable and reliable services for global users, the BDS will support national security, economic and social development, and improve people's living standards.

According to the document, the BDS is designed to provide open satellite navigation services free of charge.

International cooperation and exchanges on navigation satellite systems will be encouraged and the BDS compatibility with other systems will be enhanced to provide better services to end users.

"As the BDS is used with other navigation satellite systems, China will work with all other countries, regions and international organizations to promote global satellite navigation development and make the system better serve the world and benefit mankind," according to the document.

Products related to the BDS have been used in areas including communication and transportation, marine fisheries, weather forecasting, mapping and geographic information, forest fire prevention.

Impressive for Beidou.

BeiDou targets global users around 2020

China's homegrown navigation system, the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS), will cover the whole globe with a constellation of 35 satellites by 2020, according to a white paper released by the State Council Information Office (SCIO) on Thursday elaborating on the action plan for the BeiDou, which has been independently developed and operated by China.

China has formulated a three-step strategy for developing the BDS, said the government report.

This is the first white paper on the navigation satellite system. It is also the 100th white paper released by the SCIO.

Initially, China aimed to provide services to domestic users. The following stage featured the expansion of the network to cover the Asia-Pacific region, which was achieved by the end of 2012.

Currently, B1I and B2I open service signals are being broadcast by the operating BDS-2, providing open services to the Asia-Pacific region free of charge, according to the white paper.

The services cover an area between 55 degrees north latitude and 55 degrees south latitude, and between 55 and 180 degrees east longitude, with positioning accuracy less than 10 meters, velocity measurement accuracy less than 0.2 meters per second, and timing accuracy less than 50 nanoseconds.

BDS spokesperson Ran Chengqi told a press conference Thursday that tests in the Asia-Pacific region showed the system to be performing well.

Ran, who is also director of China's Satellite Navigation System management office, said in priority cities including Beijing and Urumqi, the capital city of northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, positioning accuracy was less than 5 meters.

The same result can be duplicated in low latitude countries, such as Thailand, according to Ran.

The BDS will provide all-time, all-weather and high-accuracy positioning, navigation and timing services to global users, according to the document.

The BeiDou project was formally launched in 1994, however, the first BeiDou satellite was not launched until 2000. The 23rd satellite was launched Sunday.

In addition to providing continuous, stable and reliable services for global users, the BDS will support national security, economic and social development, and improve people's living standards.

According to the document, the BDS is designed to provide open satellite navigation services free of charge.

International cooperation and exchanges on navigation satellite systems will be encouraged and the BDS compatibility with other systems will be enhanced to provide better services to end users.

"As the BDS is used with other navigation satellite systems, China will work with all other countries, regions and international organizations to promote global satellite navigation development and make the system better serve the world and benefit mankind," according to the document.

Products related to the BDS have been used in areas including communication and transportation, marine fisheries, weather forecasting, mapping and geographic information, forest fire prevention.
It is really a great news for Beidou and all new products derived from it. It is also a great news for people, especially those in the developing and under-developed world, for they are finally able to afford using new technology in their daily life. History will show the greatest thing the China's rise brings to the World is more and more poor people have the opportunity and afford new staffs.

For example, talking about high accuracy watches, the most renowned Japanese The Citizen quartz watches can achieve a precision rating of plus and minus 5 seconds a year, and it will cost you U$ 2,300 at least. Whereas Beidou watch is 5 ns, or 0.00000005 seconds, a sheer 10 million times more accurate than the former , let alone comparing to those mechanical Swiss watches. Plus Beidou watch may save your life on a special day.

ctq57-0953.jpg

The Citizen CTQ57-0953 Chronomaster

There are no accurate measurement of time to begin with. Time is a concept which is relative to the user, my time is not the same as your time, simply your place can never be occupied by both you and me. Time is a relative concept, and hence forth, all measurement are relative, hence, measurement can never be accurate.

Then you are talking about watches, what is the last time you saw someone wear watches to begin with? Most people now check their time with their mobile phone, and only a handful people actually use watches to begin with, and you either be using it in a decorative function, or practically needed. None of them point of Beidou watches, if I want prestige, I would not go for a Chinese watch, I would have gone with Rolex or TAG Heuer, if I wanted practicality, I would have gone with Casio G-Shock.

It is really a great news for Beidou and all new products derived from it. It is also a great news for people, especially those in the developing and under-developed world, for they are finally able to afford using new technology in their daily life. History will show the greatest thing the China's rise brings to the World is more and more poor people have the opportunity and afford new staffs.

Exactly so. In that sense, China brings about the age of real globalization, not the globalization of the West (and close allies) at the cost of the rest.

Exactly so. In that sense, China brings about the age of real globalization, not the globalization of the West (and close allies) at the cost of the rest.

I want to know how you come up with this conclusion with just a new watch technology?? Which nobody ever uses watches anymore...I still have my G-Shock when I was deployed to Afghanistan in 2005/2006, Not even bother to get a new one. Been using me phone to tell time for ages.

I don't understand this (and similar 'accuracy' concepts). And watch that clocks to a second's accuracy is usually enough for the mass market. More than it is usually of academic interest.

I don't understand this (and similar 'accuracy' concepts). And watch that clocks to a second's accuracy is usually enough for the mass market. More than it is usually of academic interest.

I am not sure of practical use of excessive time accuracy. It is a matter of scientific achievement; being able achieve it is better that not being able to achieve it. China breaks a record, but, there were earlier record breakers. So, if it makes sense for those high-achievers, it naturally makes perfect sense for China.

I am not sure of practical use of excessive time accuracy. It is a matter of scientific achievement; being able achieve it is better that not being able to achieve it. China breaks a record, but, there were earlier record breakers. So, if it makes sense for those high-achievers, it naturally makes perfect sense for China.

scientifically, it's great yes. But it really is a specialized or niche kind of application. Probably some enuthiasts like you said might find it good to have. I think commercial airline pilots might find it useful. But this probably isn't a mass market product.

Back
Top Bottom