What's new

China replacing old J-7 ‘Flying Leopards’ with J-16 multirole jets

The Air crafts which are now in flying condition could be used as spare parts.
Initially 12 but eventually operating 24, but acquiring 36 to cannibalize them if needed. Same goes for the engines; 24 aircraft need only 48 engines but acquiring 80-100 in case any of the engines need parts or completely replacing.

Initially 12 but eventually operating 24, but acquiring 36 to cannibalize them if needed. Same goes for the engines; 24 aircraft need only 48 engines but acquiring 80-100 in case any of the engines need parts or completely replacing.

I agree, I am wondering why @MastanKhan has not shown his presence in this thread.

I agree, I am wondering why @MastanKhan has not shown his presence in this thread.
He disagrees with me, and doesn’t like that I like to bring this option up every now and again, to be honest.

Ultimately, the goal should be in my opinion, that the JH-7A is a transitional platform. when the WS-15 is available, which will have the same thrust as the two engines on the JH-7A, IMHO a variant of the J-10 should be build with it.

The PAF already plans to induct a large number of J-10C; why not plan to maximize the potential of that platform; a super cruising J-10 with CFTs that can do long range naval strike or deal with Indian carrier based Rafale as well as a variant that can carry modern low, mid, and high band jammers; like the EA-18G Growler.

When those J-10s are inducted the JH-7A can be retired; probably in about 10-15 years. In the mean time we get a platform, from a friendly nation, already wired to do heavy anti-shipping and Electronic warfare; aka a “Hot Transfer”, probably at a nominal price, as the PLANAF is retiring the platform, with Chinese industry benefiting; maintenance and parts suppliers will have a contract for 10-15 years, and get an “export” customer to work with.

Just imagine how the IAF and IN will have to take into account this new capability if a dozen JH-7A are based at Ormara and 4 EW variants are based at two bases in Punjab and one in Sindh each (to spread them evenly among the three sectors).

Last edited:
China can easily replace all the J7s with the 4th generation jets but is introducing 5th generation jets so no point.

All Air Forces will be equipped with a mix of 4, 4+, 4++, 5 generation planes. It's too expensive to maintain an entirely 5th gen AF. Especially considering how stealth technologies work and the level of maintenance required to keep them in such condition.

Hi,

2 things that the Paf did in the 21st century---has gone un-noticed---.

2nd thing first---going for the order of 500 BVR amraam missiles---the air force was clearly telling those who could understand was that rpimary combat would be BVR---.

Now the first thing---the design and size of the JF17---. Because of its smaller size---the Jf17 would be difficult to register on the sensors and specially when flying low nap of the earth---.

Why to fly low---war in Ukraine has shown that the high flying aircraft have become easy target---low flying aircraft have shown to have a better rate of mission completiong & survival.

For that very reason---the J-16 would never truly fill the shoes of the JH7A---.

The JH7A is needed more now than ever before by the Paf as well as china---. With massive ew package / aesa radar updates---the modern weapons that it would be able to launch---woud devastate the enemy.

If the US can upgrade old horses like the B52's and the F15's---there is no reason why china cannot take that direction with the JH7-a's---.

Last edited:
He disagrees with me, and doesn’t like that I like to bring this option up every now and again, to be honest.

Ultimately, the goal should be in my opinion, that the JH-7A is a transitional platform. when the WS-15 is available, which will have the same thrust as the two engines on the JH-7A, IMHO a variant of the J-10 should be build with it.
Hi,

What option would that be---?

The complete fleet with all the spare parts, engines, ammunition could be stored on inactive and reserve air bases, step by step with more funds available, the inactive air bases and fighters can be reactivated.
China should move all the JH-7 fighter/bomber production lines to Pakistan as long as they can guarantee the spare parts China still needs to maintain our JH-7 fleets.

Inducting the JH-7A. I thought you were against it, and advocated focusing on the J-10.
Son,

I have been in favor of inducting the JH7A even before many were born---& I am not trying to be disrespectful to you.

You surprise me---you did not even know that---. This forum is filled up with my posts regarding the JH7A---.

Loool. What everyone discards we beg for. Amazing
Hi,

China is discarding them out of foolishness.

The deeper we look into the Ukraine conflict the more we see the utmost need for a low flying strike capable aircraft with carrying capacity of two heavy missiles in the category of 1000 kg + each.

The mission profile in ukraine has changed from high altitude to low altitude for the sake of survival & completing the mission---.

The J16 is not a low level flight capable aircraft by design---.

The high success rate of anti missile weapons is also of a big concern to striking forces & I have mentioned that for over a decade over here---a single AShM will not do the job---multiple launches at the same target are a must---.

Now with the success of anti missile weapons---the utility of aircraft like the JH7A increases multifolds----special over the water strike capability and the geography of the opponent---. You have a choice of striking from different angles---.

Which would make it very difficult to arrange anti missile weapons in proper locations.

Last edited:
Son,

I have been in favor of inducting the JH7A even before many were born---& I am not trying to be disrespectful to you.

You surprise me---you did not even know that---. This forum is filled up with my posts regarding the JH7A---.

Hi,

China is discarding them out of foolishness.

The deeper we look into the Ukraine conflict the more we see the utmost need for a low flying strike capable aircraft with carrying capacity of two heavy missiles in the category of 1000 kg + each.

The mission profile in ukraine has changed from high altitude to low altitude for the sake of survival & completing the mission---.

The J16 is not a low level flight capable aircraft by design---.

The high success rate of anti missile weapons is also of a big concern to striking forces & I have mentioned that for over a decade over here---a single AShM will not do the job---multiple launches at the same target are a must---.

Now with the success of anti missile weapons---the utility of aircraft like the JH7A increases multifolds----special over the water strike capability and the geography of the opponent---. You have a choice of striking from different angles---.

Which would make it very difficult to arrange anti missile weapons in proper locations.
Thanks for dispelling my false notion. I also didn’t expect the PLANAF to retire them. I always thought if the PAF ever wanted them, they would have to buy them new, and therefore wouldn’t spend on such a platform.

If the Chinese are retiring them, the PAF should buy them, at very least for the two roles I outlined. There is no more cost effective and combat capable platform within the PAF financial reach for the foreseeable future.

Heck if the PLANAF is retiring the entire fleet, the PAF should go big; buy over a hundred, give them a modest refurbishment and split them between the Air Force and the navy. How will the IN deal with dozens of coming in from different angles and equipped with supersonic anti ship cruise missiles backed up with EW JH-7A and protected by dozens of J-10s.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom