What's new

China Quantum Communiations Technology: Cryptography, Radar, Satellite, Teleportation, Network

That is not true. All traditional and current encryption is crackable because the stages of the encryption can be wiretap and supercomputer can used brute force to guess the key. It just take longer but eventually it will be crack no matter how many bits were.

The human factor always play a role but the human factor error is limited to turning the switch on and off. Because of the unique stage of quantum entanglement effect, the act of observing will caused the encryption information to collapse automatically. You can bribe the people working behind the quantum encryption but he or she won't know the information that is store in the encryption. It will be between the sender and receiver to know. The middle man, operator don't know and simply become a switcher. LOL

In traditional description, key is generated to bit of 0 and 1. For example, to encrypt letter B on a simple 8-bit which stand at 33 in the alphabetical system.

for 8 bit, you go
0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
0 1 2 4 8 16 32 64
Here, you take 1 + 32 = 33 which is letter B.

No matter how many bit you put in, supercomputer can just run all different scenario to crack because bit encryption is transfer by the speed of light, which is constant. It is time consuming but eventually that unique key in that large number encryption will get crack.

Let me give you even a more simple example...Someone hide your son somewhere on earth, in a secret location of X,Y,Z. In traditional encryption, for you to find out the location of your son, you will need to find out which continent he was in, then which country, then which state, then which city, then which county, then which street. As you can see, you have to narrow down each step. Yes you will be able to get the information at the speed of light but still you have to ask and go step-by-step to find out.

In Quantum encryption, you don't need to take each step going at the speed of light to find out the destination. You can do so by asking all the questions at once. It will save you time and you get immediate answer.
so so using brute force. what do you think how long you take to crack a RSA secret key lenght 2048 bits?

don´t tell me you use quantum computer because such computer does not exist, unless you show me one.

no, key generation is usually based upon RSA, not so as basic and primitive as you showed it above. unless you show me it is chinese variant of key generation :D

so in quantum communication, the secret key is stored in the hardware. what differs to the current method of storing the rsa key in hardware, for example digital cinema?

Last edited:
as said you are on a good path. sometimes I feel China is a like a man waiting in line for 100 years, now he is standing before the counter, asking the sales staff for everything. immediately.

back to the topic. this thing quantum communication is hardly to understand. I believe most of the people have no clue what it is about. I google a bit, but there are just few articles available explaining but really hardly to understand what they are talking about. can you explain in your words what quantum communication is and how encryption works?

Quantumn technology looks like magic to me as well. I cannot guarantee you my understanding on quantumn communication is 100% correct. So please don't laugh at me, if I say something stupid.

In the world of cryptography, the recipients needs the right secret key to translate the message received. For example, you want to send the text "ABC" to me, but what you actually type is "XYZ". And when I get the "XYZ", I'll use the pre-aligned secret key to "translate" XYZ to ABC.

So, to any countries, the secret key system is always the top secret to protect. Even for the fastest computer today, it may still need 100+ years of calculation to conquer the best-designed key. But the invention of quantumn computer will change the entire picture. Quantumn computer may only need couple of seconds, or minutes, to guess the key. That will be a huge threat to information security to any countries. And that's why we need quantumn communication satellite.

To my understanding, quantumn satellite transmits the secret key only. To each communication request, the satellite generates a key inside and transmit the key to both sender and recipients. So the key is always changing. Even if someone bribes/or tortures the recipients, the key sill won't be leaked, because even the recipients doesn't know what is the key.

But you can still try to hack the key. When we say "hack", it means you are observing the photons (the key is carried by the photons) sent by the satellite. Now the most magic part happens. According to the quantumn theory, an observation will change the status of the photons (when you don't open the box, Schrödinger's cat is simultaneously alive and dead; but when you open the box, the cat will be either alive or dead. So, it is your observation that decide whether the cat is alive or dead). The status change of the photons informs the recipients that someone is watching, so communication stops.

Quantumn technology looks like magic to me as well. I cannot guarantee you my understanding on quantumn communication is 100% correct. So please don't laugh at me, if I say something stupid.

In the world of cryptography, the recipients needs the right secret key to translate the message received. For example, you want to send the text "ABC" to me, but what you actually type is "XYZ". And when I get the "XYZ", I'll use the pre-aligned secret key to "translate" XYZ to ABC.

So, to any countries, the secret key system is always the top secret to protect. Even for the fastest computer today, it may still need 100+ years of calculation to conquer the best-designed key. But the invention of quantumn computer will change the entire picture. Quantumn computer may only need couple of seconds, or minutes, to guess the key. That will be a huge threat to information security to any countries. And that's why we need quantumn communication satellite.

To my understanding, quantumn satellite transmits the secret key only. To each communication request, the satellite generates a key inside and transmit the key to both sender and recipients. So the key is always changing. Even if someone bribes/or tortures the recipients, the key sill won't be leaked, because even the recipients doesn't know what is the key.

But you can still try to hack the key. When we say "hack", it means you are observing the photons (the key is carried by the photons) sent by the satellite. Now the most magic part happens. According to the quantumn theory, an observation will change the status of the photons (when you don't open the box, Schrödinger's cat is simultaneously alive and dead; but when you open the box, the cat will be either alive or dead. So, it is your observation that decide whether the cat is alive or dead). The status change of the photons informs the recipients that someone is watching, so communication stops.
I have yet to see a model of quantum computer. how it looks like how it works. is it something similar to computer today, with hardware and software as we know it today? instead of electrons it will use photons? will there be photon CPU, photon memory chips? instead of binary states 0 and 1, will there be 4 more states?

ok let assume, in 20 years we would have quantum computers capable of cracking today encryption key. but you should keep in mind, the present cryptography is designed to beat the brute force of computer power. computer technology advances, so cryptography. it is a race. in 20 years, I bet cryptography would beat quantum computing (if exists).

yes, the theory says secret key is uncrackable because photon entanglement will be destroyed if an unwanted viewer in the middle tries to see it. who will bet that nobody will ever invent a device (usually a prism) that is capable to do it without destroying photon entanglement in a distance future?

I have yet to see a model of quantum computer. how it looks like how it works. is it something similar to computer today, with hardware and software as we know it today? instead of electrons it will use photons? will there be photon CPU, photon memory chips? instead of binary states 0 and 1, will there be 4 more states?

ok let assume, in 20 years we would have quantum computers capable of cracking today encryption key. but you should keep in mind, the present cryptography is designed to beat the brute force of computer power. computer technology advances, so cryptography. it is a race. in 20 years, I bet cryptography would beat quantum computing (if exists).

yes, the theory says secret key is uncrackable because photon entanglement will be destroyed if an unwanted viewer in the middle tries to see it. who will bet that nobody will ever invent a device (usually a prism) that is capable to do it without destroying photon entanglement in a distance future?

I think what you said all makes sense to me. Who knows how far the scientific research could go in the next 10 or 20 years. For now, no one knows the answer.

But thanks to the hard efforts of our scientists, as well as the consecutive investment from the government, China is making progress in almost all areas.

For example, you bet cryptography would beat quantum computing, that may be right. But to achieve this, you at least should have your own quantumn computer for test. Good news to us is, we just developed our first quantum chip (an August 11th 2016 news). The chip may be still very much inmature, but that's still a great step.
L1.jpg

You also mentioned maybe somebody will invent a device that is capable to hack the photon, but without destroying photon entanglement. That may also be true. But to achieve this, you at least should have the capability to do the test of photon entanglement. Right? Good news is, one of the tasks for the quantumn satellite is to do the photon entanglement experiment between the space and the ground, at a distance that no one has achieved so far.

I think what you said all makes sense to me. Who knows how far the scientific research could go in the next 10 or 20 years. For now, no one knows the answer.

But thanks to the hard efforts of our scientists, as well as the consecutive investment from the government, China is making progress in almost all areas.

For example, you bet cryptography would beat quantum computing, that may be right. But to achieve this, you at least should have your own quantumn computer for test. Good news to us is, we just developed our first quantum chip (an August 11th 2016 news). The chip may be still very much inmature, but that's still a great step.
View attachment 326892

You also mentioned maybe somebody will invent a device that is capable to hack the photon, but without destroying photon entanglement. That may also be true. But to achieve this, you at least should have the capability to do the test of photon entanglement. Right? Good news is, one of the tasks for the quantumn satellite is to do the photon entanglement experiment between the space and the ground, at a distance that no one has achieved so far.

I was very impressed when I visited the PW (Pratt whitney) plant in Chengdu cpl years back. They had innovated some very brilliant things by themselves in the quality control by structuring the testing and material assaying in a very novel productive way. PW incorporated this in all its facilities worldwide (I actually helped with some of it for a few months).

Next year I will be working with some of the Chinese developers there in how best to research next generation lightened blisk production. I found some workarounds for issues with the software they use in the modelling analysis so the information flow is not all one way :D

Very true. I find China to be very good at hedging pragmatically.

View attachment 326892

no system is perfect. so quantum computing and encryption. the challenge is to find out its weaknesses.
if I was Barack Obama, I would send spies to China (if not already happening), trying to steal information. during the WW II, the british made several attempts to steal enigma machine, which was used by the germans for encoding and decoding messages.

no system is perfect. so quantum computing and encryption. the challenge is to find out its weaknesses.
if I was Barack Obama, I would send spies to China (if not already happening), trying to steal information. during the WW II, the british made several attempts to steal enigma machine, which was used by the germans for encoding and decoding messages.

I never said any technology is perfect. But "not perfect yet" doesn't mean we should not research the technology: Automobile creates pollution, but it brings us convenience; nuclear power could be destructive, but it brings us energy.

With respect to espionage, it is a threat to all countries. But this should not the the right topic in this thread, let's not be too off the topic.

I never said any technology is perfect. But "not perfect yet" doesn't mean we should not research the technology: Automobile creates pollution, but it brings us convenience; nuclear power could be destructive, but it brings us energy.

With respect to espionage, it is a threat to all countries. But this should not the the right topic in this thread, let's not be too off the topic.
I am not saying you should stop working on quantum communication. just pointing out the technology is not the end of the road, but a natural evolution of communications. it is surely a big leap forward.

The world's first: Chinese scientist shows the importance of non-locality in quantum simulation
(People's Daily Online) August 19, 2016

FOREIGN201608191502000033762845682.jpg

China launches the world's first quantum satellite on top of a Long March-2D rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in Jiuquan, northwest China's Gansu Province, Aug. 16, 2016. (Xinhua/Jin Liwang)

According to an Aug. 19 report by People's Daily, the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) has made an important breakthrough in quantum research. For the first time, the importance of non-locality in quantum simulation has been demonstrated.

The research team, lead by Professor Li Chuanfeng from the university's Quantum Information Key Laboratory, developed a non-local quantum simulator to simulate the physics phenomenon of parity. The team's research has yielded a new direction for the quantum simulator. Renowned journal Nature Photonics recently published an account of the achievement.

On Aug. 16, China launched the world's first quantum satellite from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center; as a result, many people have been curious about the research behind this scientific achievement. The quantum simulator is a computer used to solve certain scientific problems. The concept was first proposed by Richard Feynman in 1981. In modern quantum simulator research, scientists generally focus on the simulator's ability to accelerate; the more quantum bits a simulator can manipulate, the stronger its computing power is.

The research by USTC has now revealed another important advantage of the quantum simulator: quantum non-locality, which Einstein once described as "spooky action at a distance." The non-local quantum simulator can be used to research subjects such as faster-than-light communications, which standard computers are unable to do.

The first batch of data from the world's first quantum satellite was received by Chinese scientists, the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) said Thursday.

The data was received on Wednesday by the China Remote Sensing Satellite Ground Station (RSGS), located in Miyun on the outskirts of Beijing, at 11:56 a.m.

The 202 MB of data was in good quality and was transferred to China's National Space Science Center.

China launched world's first quantum communication satellite on Tuesday. It is nicknamed "Micius," after a fifth century B.C. Chinese philosopher and scientist.

The satellite is designed to establish "hack-proof" quantum communications by transmitting uncrackable keys from space to the ground, and provide insights into the strangest phenomenon in quantum physics -- quantum entanglement.

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2016-08/18/content_39124000.htm

Experimental investigation of the no-signalling principle in parity–time symmetric theory using an open quantum system

Jian-Shun Tang, Yi-Tao Wang, Shang Yu, De-Yong He, Jin-Shi Xu, Bi-Heng Liu, Geng Chen, Yong-Nan Sun, Kai Sun, Yong-Jian Han, Chuan-Feng Li & Guang-Can Guo

The violation of the no-signalling principle — information can be transmitted faster than light — is experimentally investigated using entangled photons. It can be simulated when the parity–time symmetrically evolved subspace is solely considered.

Back
Top Bottom