What's new

China Quantum Communiations Technology: Cryptography, Radar, Satellite, Teleportation, Network

August, 14th, 2016, Jiuquan, China: China's first quantumn communication satellite has been delivered to the Jiuquan satellite launch center. The Jiuquan launch center has made four rounds of status check to the satellite. The launch will be made in 2H of August.

This is the first quantumn communication satellite in human being's history. The following four experiments will be conducted by this satellite on orbit:
- High-speed quantumn secret key distribution between the satellite and the ground (星地高速量子密钥分发实验)
- Wide-area networks of quantumn communication (广域量子通信网络实验)
- Quantumn entanglement distribution between satellite and ground (星地量子纠缠分发实验)
- Quantumn teleportation between the ground and the satellite (地星量子隐形传态实验)

China expects to have 20 quantumn communication satellites on orbit by 2030.

China is the pioneer in quantumn communication technology. The experimental quantumn communication networks have been established in Beijing, Shanghai, Jinan and Hefei respectively. The launch of this satellite will expand the technology coverage to a much-wider area.
View attachment 326047

Picture of the satellite
View attachment 326043

Some loads on the satellite: High-speed quantumn secret-key generation terminal
View attachment 326046

Some loads on the satellite: High speed near infrared single photon detector
View attachment 326045

Strange that the 5th experiment didn't get a mention: :D:D

中科院上海光学精密机械研究所第二代空间相干激光通信载荷:速率5Gbps

2016/08/16

我国首次空间高速相干激光通信试验将在量子卫星上开展

2016年08月16日 11:18 来源:新华网

新华社上海8月16日电(记者王琳琳)16日,中科院上海光机所研制的空间高速相干激光通信载荷搭载量子卫星发射升空,将开展卫星与新疆、北京地面站之间的高速相干激光通信技术验证。这将是我国首次开展空间高速相干激光通信试验,标志着我国初步具备研制星间相干激光通信载荷的能力。

空间高速激光通信技术用于实现星间、星地高速数据传输,可克服高分辨率卫星成像数据传输有限的瓶颈,是空间数据中继、星间组网的重要手段,也是一项国内外航天界高度关注的前沿高科技技术。

量子卫星相干激光通信载荷指挥、中科院上海光机所副所长陈卫标表示,相干探测激光通信,具有灵敏度高、白天可工作等技术优点,特别适用于空间超远距离(数万公里)卫星间的高速激光通信。相对第一代几十、数百兆/秒速率的直接探测激光通信技术,第二代空间相干激光通信技术速率可达数千兆/秒,乃至数万兆/秒,成为国内外星间数据中继的主流方案。

此前,欧美等发达国家已投入大量人力物力开展相关技术研究,并取得重要进展。2007年,欧空局(ESA)率先在TerraSAR-X卫星与美国NFIRE卫星上采用多路复接方式实现了5.6千兆/秒的相干激光通信。2015年,欧空局又实现了低轨与高轨卫星之间的相干激光通信,通信距离达到5万公里,通信速率达到1.8千兆/秒,开辟了利用相干激光通信进行数据中继的先河。

据了解,2005年,中科院上海光机所开始空间相干激光通信技术的研究。2012年,在中科院支持下,启动相干激光通信在轨技术验证项目。通过3年多技术攻关,突破了星载高频率频率稳定人眼安全波段的光纤激光器、高速相干信息编码调制、高灵敏度相干接收、大容量实时数据处理等系列关键技术,目前已经完成星载相干激光通信发射终端和地面相干激光通信接收终端的研制工作,单路通信具备星地5.12千兆/秒速率的通信能力。

“墨子号”上还有一个第五分系统———相干激光通信载荷:-)。这是一台尝试探索第二代激光通信的设备,本来并没有计划出现在“墨子号”上。研制这个载荷的是中科院上海光学精密机械研究所,他们在为量子密钥通信机、量子纠缠分发机提供信标光源的同时,提出了“加一个载荷”的设想。此时,卫星研发已启动一年多,加载荷就要赶进度,要冒这个风险吗?没有任何推诿,技物所和中科大都积极帮助光机所达成这个“心愿”。光机所副所长陈卫标说,如果研究团队各自为政,第二代激光通信试验必将推迟。

http://www.chinaspaceflight.com/default/602.html

Strange that the 5th experiment didn't get a mention: :D:D

中科院上海光学精密机械研究所第二代空间相干激光通信载荷:速率5Gbps

2016/08/16

我国首次空间高速相干激光通信试验将在量子卫星上开展

2016年08月16日 11:18 来源:新华网

新华社上海8月16日电(记者王琳琳)16日,中科院上海光机所研制的空间高速相干激光通信载荷搭载量子卫星发射升空,将开展卫星与新疆、北京地面站之间的高速相干激光通信技术验证。这将是我国首次开展空间高速相干激光通信试验,标志着我国初步具备研制星间相干激光通信载荷的能力。

空间高速激光通信技术用于实现星间、星地高速数据传输,可克服高分辨率卫星成像数据传输有限的瓶颈,是空间数据中继、星间组网的重要手段,也是一项国内外航天界高度关注的前沿高科技技术。

量子卫星相干激光通信载荷指挥、中科院上海光机所副所长陈卫标表示,相干探测激光通信,具有灵敏度高、白天可工作等技术优点,特别适用于空间超远距离(数万公里)卫星间的高速激光通信。相对第一代几十、数百兆/秒速率的直接探测激光通信技术,第二代空间相干激光通信技术速率可达数千兆/秒,乃至数万兆/秒,成为国内外星间数据中继的主流方案。

此前,欧美等发达国家已投入大量人力物力开展相关技术研究,并取得重要进展。2007年,欧空局(ESA)率先在TerraSAR-X卫星与美国NFIRE卫星上采用多路复接方式实现了5.6千兆/秒的相干激光通信。2015年,欧空局又实现了低轨与高轨卫星之间的相干激光通信,通信距离达到5万公里,通信速率达到1.8千兆/秒,开辟了利用相干激光通信进行数据中继的先河。

据了解,2005年,中科院上海光机所开始空间相干激光通信技术的研究。2012年,在中科院支持下,启动相干激光通信在轨技术验证项目。通过3年多技术攻关,突破了星载高频率频率稳定人眼安全波段的光纤激光器、高速相干信息编码调制、高灵敏度相干接收、大容量实时数据处理等系列关键技术,目前已经完成星载相干激光通信发射终端和地面相干激光通信接收终端的研制工作,单路通信具备星地5.12千兆/秒速率的通信能力。

“墨子号”上还有一个第五分系统———相干激光通信载荷:-)。这是一台尝试探索第二代激光通信的设备,本来并没有计划出现在“墨子号”上。研制这个载荷的是中科院上海光学精密机械研究所,他们在为量子密钥通信机、量子纠缠分发机提供信标光源的同时,提出了“加一个载荷”的设想。此时,卫星研发已启动一年多,加载荷就要赶进度,要冒这个风险吗?没有任何推诿,技物所和中科大都积极帮助光机所达成这个“心愿”。光机所副所长陈卫标说,如果研究团队各自为政,第二代激光通信试验必将推迟。

http://www.chinaspaceflight.com/default/602.html

Great! Once this technology tested, we can launch the next generation Tianlian data transmission satellites (天链数据中继卫星) to the orbit.

Congratulations to our scientists!!

In addition to world's first quantumn satellite, China is also building up world's first long-distance land-based quantumn communication network. The 2,000-km long quantumn network between Beijing and Shanghai will be completed in November this year!

量子保密通信“京沪干线”年底开通
时间:2016-06-06 浏览次数: 55 来源: 科技日报 字号:[ 大 中 小 ]

【科技日报北京电,记者张盖伦】 “京沪干线”不仅指能跑火车的铁轨,也指能跑量子密钥的光纤。在6月1日陈嘉庚青年科学奖颁奖会上,量子保密通信“京沪干线”项目工程总师、中科大教授陈宇翱向科技日报记者透露,该项目将于2016年年底正式交付使用。

“目前工程已经完成了四分之三。量子京沪干线全长2000余公里,目前已经完成了约1500公里,而剩下的500公里预计也将于下个月打通。”陈宇翱表示,11月份左右,“京沪干线”可以达到“开始运行”的状态,年底能正式交付使用。

国家发改委立项的“京沪干线”大尺度光纤量子通信骨干网工程,从北京出发,经过济南、合肥,到达上海。利用这一高可信、可扩展、军民融合的广域光纤量子通信网络,京沪两地的金融机构可以进行保密通信,包括电话、视频通话、电子邮件。

View attachment 326374
congrat china!

but it is still to prove that the technology works keeping all promises and what more benefits are expected. considering the current encryption technology such as RSA and AES with high number of bits are virtually uncrackable. still.

besides, quantumn encryption still has the fundamental weakness like the existing encryption technology: the operators behind computers. unless you want to elimate the human factor.

congrat china!

but it is still to prove that the technology works keeping all promises and what more benefits are expected. considering the current encryption technology such as RSA and AES with high number of bits are virtually uncrackable. still.

besides, quantumn encryption still has the fundamental weakness like the existing encryption technology: the operators behind computers. unless you want to elimate the human factor.

thanks for your congrats and comments!

That's exactly the reason we launch this satellite: test the technology, find out the weakness, improve the weakness. I believe that's the right attitude to scientific research.

thanks for your congrats and comments!

That's exactly the reason we launch this satellite: test the technology, find out the weakness, improve the weakness. I believe that's the right attitude to scientific research.
you are welcome!

I think you are on a good path. having people, money and resources is always a good thing, giving an edge over others. trials and errors is a common thing, finding out what works what not. I wish our people can learn and copy from big China. yes, I would congrat you more, but one of your researchers mentions the real intention behind all the typical phrases you hear 10,000 times elsewhere: it is for military application. so now begins the most exciting time for your potential opponents: finding out the weakness of the system in order to defeat it.

you are welcome!

I think you are on a good path. having people, money and resources is always a good thing, giving an edge over others. trials and errors is a common thing, finding out what works what not. I wish our people can learn and copy from big China. yes, I would congrat you more, but one of your researchers mentions the real intention behind all the typical phrases you hear 10,000 times elsewhere: it is for military application. so now begins the most exciting time for your potential opponents: finding out the weakness of the system in order to defeat it.

we welcome competitions in all formats, no matter it is economy competition, infrastructure competition, manufacturing industry competition, scientific research competition, or even military build-up competition.

We are not the best yet, in many areas. But we are narrowing the gaps with the top countries in a rapid pace that hard to be imagined ten or twenty years before. So at least gap in today is smaller than that in yesterday, gap in tomorrow will be smaller than today.

Well said. It is trial and error for the innovator. And catching up and beating down for the opponent.

What matters is to be in the game.

Potential military applications cannot be denied, for sure. In fact, civilian and military dual/multi use technologies (which one is first initiated is not important) are one of the fundamentals of developed economies.

we welcome competitions in all formats, no matter it is economy competition, infrastructure competition, manufacturing industry competition, scientific research competition, or even military build-up competition.

We are not the best yet, in many areas. But we are narrowing the gaps with the top countries in a rapid pace that hard to be imagined ten or twenty years before. So at least gap in today is smaller than that in yesterday, gap in tomorrow will be smaller than today.
as said you are on a good path. sometimes I feel China is a like a man waiting in line for 100 years, now he is standing before the counter, asking the sales staff for everything. immediately.

back to the topic. this thing quantum communication is hardly to understand. I believe most of the people have no clue what it is about. I google a bit, but there are just few articles available explaining but really hardly to understand what they are talking about. can you explain in your words what quantum communication is and how encryption works?

as said you are on a good path. sometimes I feel China is a like a man waiting in line for 100 years, now he is standing before the counter, asking the sales staff for everything. immediately.

back to the topic. this thing quantum communication is hardly to understand. I believe most of the people have no clue what it is about. I google a bit, but there are just few articles available explaining but really hardly to understand what they are talking about. can you explain in your words what quantum communication is and how encryption works?

@GS Zhou can add/correct to this, but having worked a while in remote sensing industry previously, I believe this is a pathfinder project to investigate communication optimization using Quantum information science. This effectively means how to reduce the amount of total bits in a stream of data being transmitted while keeping the quality of information being transmitted the exact same (when you pass the info through the various filters, stackers and processors to be able to be streamed and transmitted....classically there are ways to compress this like you may have seen in zip files in your computer....but we are hitting all the road blocks pretty fast....so we need to investigate more deeper things like quantum science to further improve this. China under A.C Yao and others has been instrumental in developing this particluar part of the science).

How this is achieved requires a broader understanding of quantum effects in practice (rather than just theory and small lab environments)...to "feel" where the best places are to continue the theory....given LEO/MEO to earth is the biggest laboratory one can have at reasonable cost these days with enough challenges to face so you can learn from it productively.

In a way it reminds me of "fuzzy logic" concept in algorithm theory.

Both seek to get more out of the same....so in the long run you have a much more capable potent system.

congrat china!

That is not true. All traditional and current encryption is crackable because the stages of the encryption can be wiretap and supercomputer can used brute force to guess the key. It just take longer but eventually it will be crack no matter how many bits were.

The human factor always play a role but the human factor error is limited to turning the switch on and off. Because of the unique stage of quantum entanglement effect, the act of observing will caused the encryption information to collapse automatically. You can bribe the people working behind the quantum encryption but he or she won't know the information that is store in the encryption. It will be between the sender and receiver to know. The middle man, operator don't know and simply become a switcher. LOL

In traditional description, key is generated to bit of 0 and 1. For example, to encrypt letter B on a simple 8-bit which stand at 33 in the alphabetical system.

for 8 bit, you go
0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
0 1 2 4 8 16 32 64
Here, you take 1 + 32 = 33 which is letter B.

No matter how many bit you put in, supercomputer can just run all different scenario to crack because bit encryption is transfer by the speed of light, which is constant. It is time consuming but eventually that unique key in that large number encryption will get crack.

Let me give you even a more simple example...Someone hide your son somewhere on earth, in a secret location of X,Y,Z. In traditional encryption, for you to find out the location of your son, you will need to find out which continent he was in, then which country, then which state, then which city, then which county, then which street. As you can see, you have to narrow down each step. Yes you will be able to get the information at the speed of light but still you have to ask and go step-by-step to find out.

In Quantum encryption, you don't need to take each step going at the speed of light to find out the destination. You can do so by asking all the questions at once. It will save you time and you get immediate answer.

In traditional description, key is generated to bit of 0 and 1. For example, to encrypt letter B on a simple 8-bit which stand at 66 in the alphabetical system.

for 8 bit, you go
0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
0 2 4 8 16 32 64 128
Here, you take 2 + 64 = 66 which is letter B.

No matter how many bit you put in, supercomputer can just run all different scenario to crack because bit encryption is transfer by the speed of light, which is constant. It is time consuming but eventually that unique key in that large number encryption will get crack.

Let me give you even a more simple example...Someone hide your son somewhere on earth, in a secret location of X,Y,Z. In traditional encryption, for you to find out the location of your son, you will need to find out which continent he was in, then which country, then which state, then which city, then which county, then which street. As you can see, you have to narrow down each step. Yes you will be able to get the information at the speed of light but still you have to ask and go step-by-step to find out.

In Quantum encryption, you don't need to take each step going at the speed of light to find out the destination. You can do so by asking all the questions at once. It will save you time and you get immediate answer.

Thanks for explanation.

What is your profession/field if I may ask?

Thanks for explanation.

What is your profession/field if I may ask?
I could become a computer scientist had I stay in school long but I chose to start job career early which is in IT (software development). In school, I'm always good with physics and science in general. I took quantum mechanics before.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom