PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Country Risk
China pressures Pakistan to crack down on Uighur separatists
Farhan Bokhari, Islamabad - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
13 November 2014

Pakistan's prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, has promised to support China's fight against Uighur muslim separatists in China's western Xinjiang province.

In an 8 November statement issued after Sharif met Chinese president Xi Jinping in Beijing, China's foreign ministry said Pakistan would "resolutely fight the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) terrorist force". Sharif's trip also included the signing of memorandums of understanding (MoUs) for Chinese investment in Pakistan worth about USD42 billion.

China has long urged Pakistan to step up attacks on Uighur separatists operating under the ETIM that it says have taken refuge in Pakistan's semi-autonomous tribal areas on the Afghan border.

Taking on so many terror groups will be a nightmare for the PA! With the ISIS trying to rear its head in the area, and the TTP, Jandullah and the ETIM operating there, the PA is going to have its hands full for a few years more at least. Putting down insurgencies was always going to be a long haul.

I daresay that the ETIM will be responsible for future frayed relations between Pakistan and China, unless the PA succeeds in destroying them which needless to say will be an uphill task.

I daresay that the ETIM will be responsible for future frayed relations between Pakistan and China, unless the PA succeeds in destroying them which needless to say will be an uphill task.

Taking out the ETIM will not be a problem as compared to the current threats. The issue lies with IS.. which is going to leave the Military helpless.

Taking out the ETIM will not be a problem as compared to the current threats. The issue lies with IS.. which is going to leave the Military helpless.

@Oscar; whether ISIS or ETIM or AQ or TTP or whoever.... the real issue is that it is hard to say who is what and who is doing what, with whom; so......
Lets see how it goes.

@Oscar; whether ISIS or ETIM or AQ or TTP or whoever.... the real issue is that it is hard to say who is what and who is doing what, with whom; so......
Lets see how it goes.

Xinjiang falls under the so called korasan map of isis, so does kashmir. Expect LET, ETIM, haqqanis etc, which are regional terrorist groups that operate in a particular territory to swear allegiance with isis.

The "Carrot and Stick" paradigm at work yet again.
its carrot all the way dear. even the stick is a carrot (pun intended) these anti China elements are our mutual enemies.
there is a lot at stake for both on economic front and from security point of view.

their support is coming from the scumbags who view both China and Pakistan as their enemies. we will eliminate these terrorists for free, but getting paid for it only makes it even better

Xinjiang falls under the so called korasan map of isis, so does kashmir. Expect LET, ETIM, haqqanis etc, which are regional terrorist groups that operate in a particular territory to swear allegiance with isis.
I think only LeJ and some TTP elements swore allegiance to ISIS, show me where LeT has said the same?
there might be rivalry here like in Iraq and Syria the ISIS is executing Al Qaeda, FSA and Jamat Al Nusra and has mass executed Sunni Tribal people as a punishment for air strikes on ISIS

If Pakistan were able to control export of such groups beyond its borders into China, it would have done it by now. What China wants Pakistan to do may not be possible on the ground given Pakistan's internal state.

I think only LeJ and some TTP elements swore allegiance to ISIS, show me where LeT has said the same?
there might be rivalry here like in Iraq and Syria the ISIS is executing Al Qaeda, FSA and Jamat Al Nusra and has mass executed Sunni Tribal people as a punishment for air strikes on ISIS
But doesn't LeJ leaders rub shoulders with members of Difa e Pakistan council?

Country Risk
China pressures Pakistan to crack down on Uighur separatists
Farhan Bokhari, Islamabad - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
13 November 2014

Pakistan's prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, has promised to support China's fight against Uighur muslim separatists in China's western Xinjiang province.

In an 8 November statement issued after Sharif met Chinese president Xi Jinping in Beijing, China's foreign ministry said Pakistan would "resolutely fight the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) terrorist force". Sharif's trip also included the signing of memorandums of understanding (MoUs) for Chinese investment in Pakistan worth about USD42 billion.

China has long urged Pakistan to step up attacks on Uighur separatists operating under the ETIM that it says have taken refuge in Pakistan's semi-autonomous tribal areas on the Afghan border.

Now It would be interesting to see what will Pakistan do. They are Islamic state and they can not support China against Islamic freedom fighter as Pakistan is angle of freedom. It is born to give freedom to all Muslims in World. They support Palestine, They support Kashmiris, They must support Uighurs too.

But doesn't LeJ leaders rub shoulders with members of Difa e Pakistan council?
good point
but those other guys belonging to difa council have not turned their guns at the state of Pakistan Ilyas Kashmiri being an exception of course.

just saying that those that are front runners in fighting the state of Pakistan and representatives of Al Qaeda and Pakistan have NEVER ever fought outside Pakistan and have mostly been sectarian terrorists, granted they share the wahabi ideology and consider all the other scumbags as their brothers but that's it. they (LeJ, TTP, Khurasani etc) have ever harmed India and never intend to do so whereas LeT has been India specific . (but this is irrelevant, Like Haqqanis , anyone who is found in FATA is getting the same treatment).

sadly ISIS will outlive you and me. I dont know if our grand children will live in a world free of ISIS and its clones or not .. I just hope so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom