What's new

China Planning for An Aircraft carrier

metalfalcon

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
CHINESE military officials hinted yesterday they were inching closer to developing the country's first operational aircraft carrier, which would greatly enhance the capacity to project military power beyond the immediate region.

A spokesman for the Defence Ministry, Senior Colonel Huang Xueping, said China would "earnestly research and consider" developing an aircraft carrier to protect its vast sea territories. "Aircraft carriers are a symbol of a country's overall national strength as well as the competitiveness of the country's naval force."

The comments were made at a rare press conference to provide details on China's deployment of war ships to ward off pirates in the Gulf of Aden and around the coast of Somalia.

Tai Ming Cheung, an expert on the Chinese military at the Institute of Global Conflict and Co-operation at the University of California, said it was "becoming increasingly clear that a political decision has been made" to deploy an aircraft carrier.

"This is all part of a growing propaganda campaign, this inching forward process of preparing the world that an aircraft carrier can be expected in the next few years."

Mr Cheung said it would take years to upgrade a Ukrainian carrier now berthed at the port of Dalian, buy suitable Russian fighter planes, train pilots and otherwise assemble the hardware and logistical capacity to support an aircraft carrier.

It would take even longer if China were to build an aircraft from scratch, as some Chinese navy and industry leaders would prefer.

"As a great power, China needs [an] aircraft carrier sooner or later," said Shi Yinhong, Professor of International Relations at the People's University.

"Although the Government or army has never announced China will build [an] aircraft carrier, we are seeing a lot of indirect discussion from official and semi-official sources."

An aircraft carrier was necessary to defend the country's long coastline, prepare for future conflict and protect the energy supply, he said.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...ut-deploying-an-aircraft-carrier/1394532.aspx

:china::china::china::china:

Will Pakistan be Interested in this project as a " Joint Venture"

:china::pakistan::cheers:

^^^^^^ what is that for??? you wanna attack somalia????

Pakistan also need an aircraft carrier urgently

We need it no doubt about that, but we don't have it because China didn't had it, I think you got my point.

I mean no body in the world is willing to give us an aircraft carrier and we just don't have the resources to make an aircraft carrier on our own from Scratch.

I hope china makes it soon and then Pakistan gets one from China May be TOT (transfer of Technology) as well.

If Pakistan Navy will operate an aircraft carrier..... that time is too far away and the Sailors and Officers who will work on that carrier are not Even Born yet.

Aircraft carriers are expensive and need a crew and constant maintainance, we would only need it against India, and then the question rises, is it really usefull for us at this current stage? Do we have the technology?

NO we dont need it but i do support the idea of a asw and building up the navy fleet as planned !!

^^^^^^ what is that for??? you wanna attack somalia????

no i was thinking of the USA, and if we are really ambitious how about the Death Star.

To all who say Pakistan needs an AIrcraft carrier

It has been mention many times before that Pakistan can't afford one, second if there was one it will only make a great target practice.

I will favour of a UAV carrier instead.

Just wanted know is there any picture of the model Chiness aircrft carrier ?

I think it may take at least 10years to build one AC on our own,maybe the AC can easily be destroyed at that time..... We are still a developing country,and our relationship with Taiwan is getting better now ,it's not the proper time to spend so much money to build and support a AC?The only reason we should build a AC right now is because it can help industry upgrading.we should focus on the economic growth,it won't be a problem to built 5 ACS if our "economic miracle" will last at least 10 years .

Last edited:
an AC is useless without an equally formidable cash power to sustain it, I think we all know the fate of chakri naruebet (left with outdated planes and all).

well, aircraft carriers aside, I am very curious about one thing: CRUISERS.

China's biggest surface combatant is only destroyers. It has always been so, why don't China purchase or built cruisers for PLAN, is it because of their naval doctrine or what? could someone explain it to me please..

danke

I think it is because china is just starting to dip their toes into the world of political and military influence. Wouldnt make much sense to go full on too early before they developed their evolving doctrine, strategy and technology too early. China seem to do things very calculating and methodically.
As far as the carrier is concerned, China knows in reality that the carrier in question is really just a hunk of junk. Im thinking it would be used for the primary purpose of R&D and naval strategy planning.

if india can buy ac when it economy is low than chinese economy china is the biggest country of the world chinese economy is on rise and by buying ac it will open more jobs for chinese people and if americans french and indians can have ac why not china

Back
Top Bottom