What's new

China offers 10-bln-USD SCO loan

Sasquatch

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
China
Chinese President Hu Jintao has promised that China will offer a loan of 10 billion U.S. dollars to support economic cooperation within the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).

The loan will also be used to aid the development of SCO members, said the Chinese president while addressing an SCO summit on Thursday morning in Beijing.

He said China will help train 1,500 experts from other members over the next three years. It is also going to provide 30,000 government scholarships and invite 10,000 Confucius Institute teachers and students to come to China for research and study over the next decade.

"We should build the SCO into a driving force to boost regional economic development," he told the audience.

He urged all SCO members to work hard in constructing infrastructure like railways, roads, aviation, telecommunications and power grids to promote regional connectivity.

The Chinese president also called for the establishment of a development bank, food security cooperation mechanism, energy club and seed banks, and for the promotion of trade and investment facilitation.

All members should also increase their future economic competitiveness, said Hu, adding that they should step up their cooperation in technology, culture, education and medicine.

The SCO was founded in Shanghai on June 15, 2001, and currently has six full members -- China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.

India wants it... Its because India and China dont share mutual trust a western player like America is being consulted , the day we share trust and co-operation the west and NATO cannot enter Asia. India too wants peace with its neighbors, its just that while partition the west created land problems in the region , If we join the SCO , I personally feel that a solution for every mutual problem would be solved in a mutually agreeable way.

Nothing wrong with associating with an economic organization whose stronger member, China and Russia, are major trade partners.....and other nations which are rich in natural resources which India needs...

Well this is a surprise from what I've observed it was likely Indians opposed joining the SCO, but the recent news about India's relations with us gives me a different perception of the situation.

India wants it... Its because India and China dont share mutual trust a western player like America is being consulted , the day we share trust and co-operation the west and NATO cannot enter Asia. India too wants peace with its neighbors, its just that while partition the west created land problems in the region , If we join the SCO , I personally feel that a solution for every mutual problem would be solved in a mutually agreeable way.

I was a bit surprised would have thought India would have went the other way with a partnership with the west.

Well this is a surprise from what I've observed it was likely Indians opposed joining the SCO, but the recent news about India's relations with us gives me a different perception of the situation.

I was a bit surprised would have thought India would have went the other way with a partnership with the west.
Economic and strategic alliances are way more complicated.....US, BRIC and Europe are interlinked way too much...India will remain aligned or non-aligned according to its national interest. Emotions have no place in Foreign Policy.

We were requested to leave our non-aligned role and join NATO but we have pitched in for SCO instead... We have no strategic gain from NATO but yes technical gain we do... But strategic Gain is much superior to Technical.. NATO invited us to join there BMD program but I dont know what the progress is... I am sure If SCO lets India in the west would think twice before taking any action in Asia... Not because we are strong, because India is the only major country in Asia to approach them, if that is cut they have no other options left..

I don't think India will be allowed into SCO, at least not until they sort out their issues with Pakistan.

India won't get in... Pakistan will not allow it...

India opposed the USA plan to counter China, India wants to Join the SCO, India wants stronger ties with China, India is still buying Iranian Oil LOL and people call India a western lapdog unlike some.
:disagree:

Any word yet if Pakistan or India have been accepted to the SCO they have both submitted forms yes?

Soviet expansion to Afghanistan was stalled by USA for the last 33 years, while Afghanistan became a geopolitical football and a basket case, while Pakistan continues to suffer. This only means one thing that this containment policy by the US was a wrong move. The new incarnation of Soviet Union, called the Eurasian Union, should expand to Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan, under SCO security umbrella. I see no problem India joining SCO, it knows it will loose out in the long term, if it becomes another pawn for the faulty US containment policy of China and Russia in this space. SCO however is just a strategic and security alliance network, it is not any kind of union project. A good analogy is NATO and EU, while Turkey is a part of NATO, but not part of EU.

But it is foolish to think Pakistan is not important. If Eurasion Union expansion becomes reality as I predict and promote, then for Russia, Pakistan will become far more important than India. In fact, I would predict that Russia and Pakistan will get much more close and China-Pakistan relationship may not develop well in the future.

Indian strategists in South block should start thinking more about developing their economy and reigning in their religious extremists from among their ranks, so they can chart a more realistic foreign policy. The developing situation will not be like the past.

Back
Top Bottom