What's new

China needs to worry about effect of India industrial transfer on production chain

Bussard Ramjet

Reaction score
Country
India
China needs to worry about effect of India industrial transfer on production chain

As Chinese manufacturers show an increasing interest in setting up assembly lines in India, the economic competition between the two countries is likely to enter a new stage as India and China vie to expand their industry chains.

Chinese telecom equipment maker Huawei Technologies Co announced Friday it would start making smartphones in India next month, joining a wave of smartphone vendors establishing production facilities in the promising mobile market.

Given the nation's fast-expanding mobile market and its low labor cost advantage it comes as no surprise that smartphone vendors are scrambling to invest in the South Asian country. Historically speaking, in the global landscape labor-intensive manufacturing industries are constantly shifting from mature economies to regions where the labor costs are lower, and now it seems India is on the way to become a new world hub. The industrial transfer will put pressure on China's economy, but there will be no need for China to worry as long as the country can achieve its industrial upgrading to rely more on high-tech industries, including the production of key parts and components. What is a concern is the possible impact of the processing transfer on China's production chain.

Despite the fact that a considerable part of India's handset components are imported from China, some observers forecast that the processing transfer will lead to a greater amount of mobile parts production being localized in India. India currently imposes an import duty on some mobile components, including chargers, batteries and wired headsets, at around 12 percent. It is not hard to imagine manufacturers will want to work with local component suppliers if it can reduce operating costs after they set up plants in the country.

India's Communications and Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad was quoted by media reports earlier this year saying that the Indian government is looking to achieve net zero imports on electronics by 2020. India's efforts to localize components and parts production will intensify the economic competition with China.

In recent years, countless Chinese companies have been included into the production chain for smartphone vendors. It is difficult to accurately determine how many Chinese workers are involved in the production chain, but what is clear is that all those workers face potential job cuts if smartphone vendors transfer the whole industrial chain of mobile production from China to India.

Frankly speaking, China can't afford that. The country has to ensure its competitiveness in production chains at a time when India is becoming a new processing base for manufacturers. This will require Chinese local suppliers to maintain technological advantage through continuous innovation.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1008264.shtml

China doesn't need to worry about India at all. You are behind and mostly talkative. The manufacturing business out of China would first go to Vietnam or other Southeastern countries or African continent. Do you really believe that India can offer hard working people and competitive environment?

China doesn't need to worry about India at all. You are behind and mostly talkative. The manufacturing business out of China would first go to Vietnam or other Southeastern countries or African continent. Do you really believe that India can offer hard working people and competitive environment?

I agree with you to some extent..And also, the general cost of the labor is much more in India than in China...That is why manufacturing business will not be a 1st choice when it move out of China...

It wont be because India does not offer any benefits to China which China does not already have...beside Chinese are investing in CPEC as their second arm of manufacturing...

It not only about cheapest labour but also infrastructure and access to raw materials and complete upstream and down stream industries. In this regards CPEC stands a better chance..

RTEmagicC_AGH_2.png.png

0013729c013e0f99b79c21.jpg

India does not factor meaningfully in China's ODI.

You are right , Indians are lazy. That's why we are good at software and mind related work. But flip side is that the number of jobs generated is lower unless education levels ramps up dramatically. There needs to be a balance between services and manufacturing, between consumption and export.

I have used vietnamese, chinese, russian softwares, aside from american, but never an Indian one. How come people continue to say India is software power, when it can offer nothing aside from low skilled coding works.

Regarding call centers , i see that india is competing with the Phillipines and Kenya. Not something worth to mention. Just a job for low quality labors with good English skill.

Phillipino sailors are all over the world, that does not mean Phillipines is a power house in marine industry.

I have used vietnamese, chinese, russian softwares, aside from american, but never an Indian one. How come people continue to say India is software power, when it can offer nothing aside from low skilled coding works.

Regarding call centers , i see that india is competing with the Phillipines and Kenya. Not something worth to mention. Just a job for low quality labors with good English skill.

Phillipino sailors are all over the world, that does not mean Phillipines is a power house in marine industry.
I had really really bad experiences abroad when I had to contact Singapore Airline....
@Mista @endyashainin What's wrong you guys?
Singapore Airline and Changi Airport are great, but you can't let some hotline service destroy their reputation.

Many manufacturers have opened facilities in India , notably Foxconn and Huawei. I am sure they know better to manage /invest their money than the junk heads who mock India.

I had really really bad experiences abroad when I had to contact Singapore Airline....
@Mista @endyashainin What's wrong you guys?
Singapore Airline and Changi Airport are great, but you can't let some hotline service destroy their reputation.
Funny, I have never had a problem with them like most others I know. Maybe it's you ?

It wont be because India does not offer any benefits to China which China does not already have...beside Chinese are investing in CPEC as their second arm of manufacturing...

It not only about cheapest labour but also infrastructure and access to raw materials and complete upstream and down stream industries. In this regards CPEC stands a better chance..
Look at Foxconn's new industrial park in China's poorest Province

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom