What's new

China makes NYC look like the 3rd world

Unfortunately statistics disprove him.

There might be an upper class that is very wealthy much 90% of Chinese still have to get by with few dollars a day.

There are 1,5 billion Chinese which is a huge burden on the economy. Now exports are decreasing China has to switch to domestic markets but nobody has money. The rich are transfer their money out of China at lightening speed which tells me a boom boom will happen soon.

Chinese never ending economic growth is nonsense. Every economy has its rise and its fall. China had its best days and is maturing in terms of growth. The problem is unlike other countries China will have 1,4 billion hungry Chinese on their hands if an economic crises happens. The rich Chinese will already have left the country leaving the poor without savings or food.
I agree. I am a big fan of Anthony Bourdain and his TV shows and I have nothing but respect for the Chinese people. There has been tremendous growth and improvements in China since they abandoned Marxist economic models. Once they abandon their antiquated Marxist political model and become a representative democracy, China will quickly become the world's pre-eminent superpower. But your point is quite valid. The thread would have more merit had it been named, "Shanghai makes NYC...". China's prosperity, as you say, is concentrated along a very thin strip of territory on the Pacific coast line. Go into the interior of China and it's like travelling in a time machine back to the bad old days of Chinese poverty, and subsistence agriculture.

And as for New York City, she was a ragged mess during the 1970's through the mid 1980's but nothing about that city is very "third world" today. It is vastly improved since I first went there 30 years ago.

I personally think Beijing's gonna overtake Shanghai in a couple of years, starting from one tenth of Shanghai's in GDP 20 years ago,now the two cities GDP is almost the same and Beijing has more strength in culture ,education, science and technology and finance.

yes, if I compare the skyscrapers of Frankfurt to Shanghai, then Germany is indeed sadly poor :(
No, I just meant that it is rare to hear someone who is Vietnamese (unless they are Hoa.) saying such nice things about China, and the living in Germany....I just find interesting. You don't see too many Vietnamese people in Germany. :cheers:

I personally think Beijing's gonna overtake Shanghai in a couple of years, starting from one tenth of Shanghai's in GDP 20 years ago,now the two cities GDP is almost the same and Beijing has more strength in culture ,education, science and technology and finance.
...but Shanghai has that magnificent port. That is the life-blood of it's prosperity.

I agree. I am a big fan of Anthony Bourdain and his TV shows and I have nothing but respect for the Chinese people. There has been tremendous growth and improvements in China since they abandoned Marxist economic models. Once they abandon their antiquated Marxist political model and become a representative democracy, China will quickly become the world's pre-eminent superpower. But your point is quite valid. The thread would have more merit had it been named, "Shanghai makes NYC...". China's prosperity, as you say, is concentrated along a very thin strip of territory on the Pacific coast line. Go into the interior of China and it's like travelling in a time machine back to the bad old days of Chinese poverty, and subsistence agriculture.

And as for New York City, she was a ragged mess during the 1970's through the mid 1980's but nothing about that city is very "third world" today. It is vastly improved since I first went there 30 years ago.
yes, that is true. it will take a while until the prosperity spreads from the coastal cities to other cities of inner mainland. a chinese friend of mine visited shanghai recently, he was very impressed of it, but much disappointed by the surrounding areas.

Anthony is a big fan of VN. he likes very much pho.
Anthony Bourdain on How His First Trip to Vietnam Changed His Life
500e086b1068191f5a95cdbc67811d94.jpg

Vietnam should find a way to attract more investment from China to build up Vietnam economy, even Japan prime minister Abe with all the his rhetoric hard line still want very much China investment.

Vietnam should find a way to attract more investment from China to build up Vietnam economy, even Japan prime minister Abe with all the his rhetoric hard line still want very much China investment.
we welcome chinese investments, especially in infrastructures, but right now it is unrealistic. the problem is, chinese investment comes with a political cost as long as the sea dispute is not resolved...they withhold investment to put pressure on Vietnam.

I would rather live in a three bedrooms house on the ground than a three bedrooms luxury penthouse in any city. I would have a yard with real grass, can walk over the fence to talk with my neighbors, hear children playing outside my windows, work in my garage, and get to play with real snow.

Off topic, but exactly that's how I feel. And maybe like 80% of urban Pakistanis.
Edit: except for the snow part.

I would rather live in a three bedrooms house on the ground than a three bedrooms luxury penthouse in any city. I would have a yard with real grass, can walk over the fence to talk with my neighbors, hear children playing outside my windows, work in my garage, and get to play with real snow.

Maybe this is because you are refugee who grew up in the jungle, and you still can't get used to urban life? :)

Which holes some of you hindoo viet antis come from?

NYC wins out on per cap income and some of software human capitals.

However, on hardware infrastructure when ones hits the streets, Anthony is damn right, downtown NYC does look provincial compared to downtown Shanghai, and perhaps any downtown areas of China's, for that matter also East Asia's, top cities. No dispute there, whatsoever!

NYC in general suffers from laggard and old infras, high crime rate. Many of its neighbourhoods are sh!tholes, yes I mean it, compared to Shanghai.

Top cities of the East Asia, such as Shanghai, HK, Singapore, Tokyo-Osaka, Seoul, even Shenzhen, etc are the best in the world on overall technological sophistication of hardware, vibrancy of everyday economy, convenience of public transport and overall safety and cleanness of the streets.

They have no the equivalents in the West, in not only the US but also W Europe. Any int'l travellers like Anthony can definitely feel it.
no equivalents in the West?
have you ever been to german cities such as Frankfurt and Munich? obviously not.
the public transports are world class, comparable to Singapore.

sorry, you are clueless. as for GDP per capita, I can tell you:
a poor man/women without job, money, house, wife, kids, nor future gets from the german government:

- 399 euro cash a month, equals 503 dollar a month or 6,036 dollar a year. How much is China GDP per capita? $6,807, just a bit more.
- a free flat with household equippments such as TV, washing machine, etc...
- free medical care
- cheap or free public transport costs
- free or cheap meals
- free or cheap clothings

LOL yes, a beggar, he/she is richer than a common chinese working fulltime :cheesy:

Last edited:
no equivalents in the West?
have you ever been to german cities such as Frankfurt and Munich? obviously not.
the public transports are world class, comparable to Singapore.

sorry, you are clueless. as for GDP per capita, I can tell you:
a poor man/women without job, money, house, wife, kids, nor future gets from the german government:

- 399 euro cash a month, equals 503 dollar a month or 6,036 dollar a year. How much is China GDP per capita? $6,807, just a bit more.
- a free flat with household equippments such as TV, washing machine, etc...
- free medical care
- cheap or free public transport costs
- free or cheap meals
- free or cheap clothings

LOL yes, a beggar, he/she is richer than a common chinese working fulltime :cheesy:

you must be joking, just weeks ago in münchen on my way back from airport I had to wait for hours for stuck S-Bahn to move again, no further reason was given other than "Betriebsstörung"/malfunction, too common reason for train delay in germany. one half year in Shanghai and I have never seen anything like this, and the metro in München looks like beggar vehicle compared with shanghai. Today especially the public transportation in shanghai and even most provincial level in china are far above the standard of germany.

you must be joking, just weeks ago in münchen on my way back from airport I had to wait for hours for stuck S-Bahn to move again, no further reason was given other than "Betriebsstörung"/malfunction, too common reason for train delay in germany. one half year in Shanghai and I have never seen anything like this, and the metro in München looks like beggar vehicle compared with shanghai. Today especially the public transportation in shanghai and even most provincial level in china are far above the standard of germany.
the S-Bahn and other public transport systems are reliable. well, mostly. unless, construction or improvement works are underway. "the metro in München looks like beggar vehicle"? No, the munich metro is great. your comment is bullshit. Munich is a very nice city.

37fb1ef2857f004ce9fbc1666e21983f.jpg

the S-Bahn and other public transport systems are reliable. well, mostly. unless, construction or improvement works are underway. the munich metro is great. your comment is bullshit. Munich is a very nice city.

View attachment 116489

Keep fooling yourself and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom