What's new

China makes NYC look like the 3rd world

A city is a concentration of wealth and is actually a very poor indicator of overall modernity for any country. I live within walking distance of three millionaires in my neighborhood, so that make the entire area 'upper class' ? No, everyone else in my neighborhood is up and down the wealth strata. The best gauge of modernity for an entire country is to see if the rest of the country shares the same or reasonably similar conveniences and advancements as the cities. There will be isolated pockets of poverty so severe but those will be outliers. Like it or not, overall, the US is the more modern and advanced than China.
overall the usa is better then china no doubt about it….
but i was just talking about shanghai, beijing, hong kong.

China had 100 million people traveled overseas last year alone, showing China has a enormous and healthy middle class ,and China now consumes 20% of world total luxury items and also now China is the world biggest car owning country.

they look pretty modernized with all the things you mentioned…. no american city can beat hong kong or shanghai… or any city for that matter.

I think you are exaggerating a bit here lol, If you compare Shanghai financial district with London City or NYC ofcourse it is no match. HK financial district is also amazing but what you don't see are the poor areas. Just as with these Western cities, these two Chinese metropolis have their own old infrastructure and poor neighborhood. The later you develop, the more modern it will look once urban planning starts to kick in. For example replacing old metros and the platforms are very costly for NY and London.

overall the usa is better then china no doubt about it….
but i was just talking about shanghai, beijing, hong kong.
Look at it this way...

Forget the cities. Take the less wealthy sections of any country and compare them against the less wealthy sections of the US. I did not say 'poor' but 'less wealthy' than the cities, which we know are highly concentrations of a country's wealth.

Where would you rather live, in the US or in those countries ?

That is why this thread is nothing more than a sad joke of an attempt for validation that 'We finally made it.' Instead of a captain of industry, or an accomplished scientist, or a well known politician, we have a TV cook trotted out for that validation that China finally 'made it'.

At least it's coming from an American cook as no Chinese would say we have made it. We are still a developing country :p:

China makes NYC look like the 3rd world

To catch focus on the main topic, they tend to make the headline as above.
I agree that nowaday, several Asian metropolis could beat Western and US on skyscraper and modern look.
For example, Singapore, Shanghai ... but to think twice, the cities with many skyscrapers make us think about the crowded pop, the expensive of accommodation, cost of living.

You would wish we never live in such a city.

Let search for house of American, we have a look on what is better for living.

I would rather live in a three bedrooms house on the ground than a three bedrooms luxury penthouse in any city. I would have a yard with real grass, can walk over the fence to talk with my neighbors, hear children playing outside my windows, work in my garage, and get to play with real snow.

NYC's weaknesses are that it can be disorderly and chaotic, there are pockets of high crime (esp. in certain boroughs), and some of its infrastructure is very old and has not been overhauled. But in other important areas, such as being a global financial capital, and boasting of an unmatched concentration of human capital, it has an unsurmountable edge over any Chinese city.
You are wrong. We are talking about a TV cook, Anthony Bourdain, and his words matters more than all the reality we can experience. :lol:

What you would be proud of ... could be an unvoidable nightmare.

Buy parking space before car in Shanghai
By IANS
Published: May 8, 2012

e763859ef5ab683f4c7b83b58225e49e.jpg

Potential car buyers would have to rent or buy a car park space first, as a pre-condition to buying a vehicle. PHOTO: REUTERS

BEIJING: To tackle the rising menace of parking, the authorities in China’s Shanghai city are going to ban residents from buying cars in future if they failed to secure a parking space in advance.

According to the Shanghai police, the new policy will require people to prove to the government that “they have already acquired a car space” to purchase a vehicle, Shanghai Daily reported.

It means that potential car buyers would have to rent or buy a car park space first, as a pre-condition to buy a vehicle.

Details and the timetable for the new rule are still being discussed. The government hopes to use the new strategy to control the city’s deteriorating parking lot shortage.

According to traffic police, in some cities abroad between 5 to 10 percent of urban parking capacity comes from dedicated garage buildings, which offer big parking capacity. But in Shanghai, the percentage is only one percent, with the rest supported by garages inside shopping malls and office buildings and legal street-side parking zones.

Local authorities said they would relieve the shortfall by building more space-efficient garages inside local neighbourhoods.

The local government says it relies on the monthly car plate auction to help control the number of automobiles on local roads. But despite skyrocketing plate prices, the number of locally registered cars continues to soar, reaching about two million at present.

China turn Shanghai into a 1st world financial hub in the world that comparable to New York City in a short 30 yrs span earned my respect. Anyone down play China achievement came off as a sour puss.

Many well educated Chinese expat probably not thinking twice return to their home land because China can provide equal opportunity and well paying jobs back home. They probably don't have the freedom to choose their president but no doubt they have the freedom to do everything else within China civil law.

come on...let past be the past and let your insulting in your pocket. you see we shake hands with France and America despite our bitterness over the crimes. unlike them, China stays as our neighbor for the next...100,000 years at least.

Let me tell you: once you agree to sign a non-aggression pact and settle the sea dispute, everything is fine. I am sure, we will even be willing to pay tributes to the new emperor Xi, if requested by him :-)

nah 9 dash line stays :lol:

China transformed Shanghai for someone even to mention Shanghai in the same breath as New York City that just make Chinese proud with their achievement.

Back
Top Bottom