What's new

China makes NYC look like the 3rd world

A lot of Asian cities in Korea and Japan are way much more technologically advanced compared to western cities. Many of my friends who visited east Asia have said this.

A lot of Asian cities in Korea and Japan are way much more technologically advanced compared to western cities. Many of my friends who visited east Asia have said this.
Here is where you guys are really mistaken...

In many ways, NYC is an older city than Beijing or Shanghai. NYC is 'older' in the sense that it has all the modern conveniences that are widespread throughout, such as telephones, mass transit, automobiles, and so on, before the Asian cities like before WW II, for example. Or how about something for granted like cable TV or Internet access. Then when all these Asian cities are able to modernize, of course they would leap ahead of NYC because they are not physically constrained by established infrastructures.

This is nothing more than a desperate attempt for validation for China in anything, no matter how meaningless such as the opinion of a TV cook.

Here is where you guys are really mistaken...

In many ways, NYC is an older city than Beijing or Shanghai. NYC is 'older' in the sense that it has all the modern conveniences that are widespread throughout, such as telephones, mass transit, automobiles, and so on, before the Asian cities like before WW II, for example. Or how about something for granted like cable TV or Internet access. Then when all these Asian cities are able to modernize, of course they would leap ahead of NYC because they are not physically constrained by established infrastructures.

This is nothing more than a desperate attempt for validation for China in anything, no matter how meaningless such as the opinion of a TV cook.
they look pretty modernized with all the things you mentioned…. no american city can beat hong kong or shanghai… or any city for that matter.

they look pretty modernized with all the things you mentioned…. no american city can beat hong kong or shanghai… or any city for that matter.
A city is a concentration of wealth and is actually a very poor indicator of overall modernity for any country. I live within walking distance of three millionaires in my neighborhood, so that make the entire area 'upper class' ? No, everyone else in my neighborhood is up and down the wealth strata. The best gauge of modernity for an entire country is to see if the rest of the country shares the same or reasonably similar conveniences and advancements as the cities. There will be isolated pockets of poverty so severe but those will be outliers. Like it or not, overall, the US is the more modern and advanced than China.

not impressive . NYC still beats your chinese cities

NYC's weaknesses are that it can be disorderly and chaotic, there are pockets of high crime (esp. in certain boroughs), and some of its infrastructure is very old and has not been overhauled. But in other important areas, such as being a global financial capital, and boasting of an unmatched concentration of human capital, it has an unsurmountable edge over any Chinese city.

Unfortunately statistics disprove him.

There might be an upper class that is very wealthy much 90% of Chinese still have to get by with few dollars a day.

There are 1,5 billion Chinese which is a huge burden on the economy. Now exports are decreasing China has to switch to domestic markets but nobody has money. The rich are transfer their money out of China at lightening speed which tells me a boom boom will happen soon.

Chinese never ending economic growth is nonsense. Every economy has its rise and its fall. China had its best days and is maturing in terms of growth. The problem is unlike other countries China will have 1,4 billion hungry Chinese on their hands if an economic crises happens. The rich Chinese will already have left the country leaving the poor without savings or food.

Beijing,Shanghai ,Hongkong's GDP percentage to China is much much smaller than New York to America.

list of China’s one-percenters:
Shanghai (3.80 percent) Beijing (3.43 percent) Guangzhou (2.71 percent) Shenzhen (2.55 percent) Tianjin (2.53 percent) Suzhou (2.29 percent) Chongqing (2.22 percent) Chengdu (1.60 percent) Wuhan (1.59 percent) Hangzhou (1.47 percent) Wuxi (1.42 percent) Nanjing (1.41 percent) Qingdao (1.41 percent) Dalian (1.34 percent) Shenyang (1.27 percent) Changsha (1.26 percent) Ningbo (1.25 percent) Foshan (1.23 percent) Zhengzhou (1.09 percent) Tangshan (1.08 percent)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom