What's new

China Makes Cheap Electric Cars; Why Can’t Americans Buy Them? “[The Chinese have] reached a point of manufacturing cars efficiently like phones"

BYD promised back in 2009 they'd be selling a 100% battery electric vehicle in North America by 2011 (and even open a factory) but it never happened and this was way before Trump or Huawei.

They have been kicking the same "we will start selling next year" can every year since 2011.
After huawei incident, it makes sense not to.

China positions tariffs on imported cars at 10%.
Oh really? Did this change recently

Let's look at what China charges the Europeans so you can't use the Trump excuse.

Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares wanted Chinese imports to receive equal treatment as European exports to China. Europe imposes a 10% tariff on Chinese car imports, but vehicles going the other way pay between 15 and 25%.

As I recall China was still charging 25% for imported passenger cars and only knocked down imported EVs to 15%.

According to China's export records, China exported 122,000 automobile tickets to Australia in 2022, accounting for 11.4% of Australia's 2022 new car sales.

Chinese brands ranked fourth behind Japan, South Korea, and Thailand in Australian car sales.

The main Chinese brands sold in Australia are MG, GWM, BYD, Volvo, and Polestar.

BTW: Chinese cars were not allowed to be sold in Australia for the first time until 2019, it was part of an effort by the Australian government at the time to ease relations between the two countries. only 17,957 Chinese cars were sold in Australia in 2019. in 2022, that number became 122,000, a 700% increase in 3 years.

View attachment 938676
You do know there are 1.2 million new car sales (the top 10 already goes up to 750k as the table put it)

120k Chinese car, as in ALL CHINESE BRAND, is not really that many. You can't really look at percentage when the number you are comparing is small, ie the increase of 60,000 Chinese Car sold in Australia for Chinese Brand would be 400% but for just Toyota, an increase of 60,000 cars sold is only an increase of ~20%

And whoever tell you Australia banned Chinese car until 2019 is, well, lying.

In 2022 China was the fourth-largest source of cars sold in Australia - behind Japan, Thailand and South Korea - with more than 122,000 examples sold. But five years ago, back in 2017, Chinese-made cars didn’t even feature in the top 15 in sales. In fact, we bought less than 5000 Chinese-made cars in 2017, which was less than vehicles made in Finland that year.

I know for a fact my local Haval Dealership across the street from my house was in Blacktown since 2015 when I move into the suburb

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom