What's new

China is working on a way to extract oxygen from the moon’s surface

you know how much voltage can be dangerous to a human? Merely 42 V and 0.1 A. Why do you think 826 V electrocuting an alligator implies there's some impressive amount of energy involved? It doesn't. Animals can die from tiny amounts of voltage, or conversely resist a huge amount of voltage. Hey you know you can generate 3000 V by walking across carpet? Man must be super dangerous to walk across carpet then touch a door if voltage is so dangerous.

Good info but what all are you suggesting ? That the NDB battery will not work ? That a battery based on the mechanism in the electric eel will not work ? That the electric eel does not produce high amperage despite killing a crocodile, and this while you link an article about people being injured or killed by high amperage ?

I do indeed use energy alot because energy is what we need to do anything including staying alive. Scientists and physical engineers talk energy first and foremost because energy decides what is even possible. Everything else has to work within the confines of energy.

Sorry but that does not excuse the fact that you are being a defeatist in context of Mars.

Good info but what all are you suggesting ? That the NDB battery will not work ? That a battery based on the mechanism in the electric eel will not work ? That the electric eel does not produce high amperage despite killing a crocodile, and this while you link an article about people being injured or killed by high amperage ?

Sorry but that does not excuse the fact that you are being a defeatist in context of Mars.

I don't believe a single claim about the NDB battery because their claim is basically an RTG with waste instead of new Pu. Guess what? RTGs that use new Pu are ~200-300 W overall. Or about enough to light a few LED bulbs. That's for brand new devices. NDB then claims to use ion implantation to build their battery. Here's what an ion implanter looks like:

proxy-image
proxy-image

BTW, it also needs vacuum pumps, exhaust handlers, scrubbers, etc.

Here is one addresses they claim: 50 California Street, Suite 1500, San Francisco, CA, USA. Does this place next to a Japanese restaurant look like the dedicated industrial facility required to operate an ion implanter?

For reference, a place that actually has ion implanters looks like this:

proxy-image

I won't even comment on eel batteries. You realize they talk about its potential from the point of view of an implant medical device AKA a low powered device designed for biocompatibility and not high energy density? You also realize that the eel or eel cells have to be kept alive to generate that voltage, and that there is no way that they can generate that voltage continuously?

Like, I don't want to offend you but seriously you need to first truly understand high school chemistry and physics. It will help you in every single way, including not falling for wild claims.

You also realize that the eel or eel cells have to be kept alive to generate that voltage, and that there is no way that they can generate that voltage continuously?

Man, which part of this did you not understand ? :hitwall:
did I say I want to see ten alive captive electric eels connected to wiring ?
Did I not say ?
so perhaps an EE-style long-lasting biochemical battery can be devised that consumes some synthetic biological material.
I said "synthetic" but perhaps the food can be a plant-based liquid which can come from a Vertical Farm, and the electricity-production mechanism can be connected to a storage battery which is not the boring lithium-ion but something better which I have read of on PDF threads and elsewhere ( sodium-sulpur and zinc-ion. I have to read these again ). So a good feedback arrangement.

Here is one addresses they claim: 50 California Street, Suite 1500, San Francisco, CA, USA. Does this place next to a Japanese restaurant look like the dedicated industrial facility required to operate an ion implanter?

And have you contacted NDB to ask where is its laboratory ?

Back
Top Bottom