What's new

China is ready to build the nuclear supercarrier

001 - An improved variant of Liaoning with better optimized flight deck and hanger

002 - A Kitty Hawk sized ship, similar to the Soviet design Ulyanovsk with conventional propulsion and mixed CATOBAR/STOBAR. They might b

003 - Nimitz sized ship, full CATOBAR with nuclear propulsion.

I don't think there will be 004 as that number is unlucky in Chinese culture, but any ship following 003 will be nuclear powered and on par with Gerald Ford class.

Type 003 will start once 002 leaves dry dock.

I think by the fall of 2020.

001 - An improved variant of Liaoning with better optimized flight deck and hanger

002 - A Kitty Hawk sized ship, similar to the Soviet design Ulyanovsk with conventional propulsion and mixed CATOBAR/STOBAR. They might b

003 - Nimitz sized ship, full CATOBAR with nuclear propulsion.

I don't think there will be 004 as that number is unlucky in Chinese culture, but any ship following 003 will be nuclear powered and on par with Gerald Ford class.

There is no Chinese equivalent of Ulyanovsk and Nimitz, only Kitty Hawk and Gerald Ford.

The Type 002 is full steam CATOBAR, while the Type 003 is full EMALS CATOBAR.

Don't test the floating nuclear reactors in international sea lanes, please !!!

I don't think it is in typical Chinese style to claim with a shred of proof.

233038lj2r991hhv8qqdqz.jpg.thumb.jpg

233019lqe0070dj0t3nbwd.jpg

233028hab5dcagez5upihe.jpg.thumb.jpg

"Leaks" from big shrimp indicate that a large nuclear powered ship will be built this year, probably the huge type 901 AOR, as a prelude to the nuclear powered 003.
I supposed that means 'would start to build' i.e. laid down. I don't see what use a nculear powered AOR would have, since it is not required to be in the CBG. Similar US ships have either been steam powered (half propulsion set of IOWA class BB) or powered by 4 GTu.

Only four nuclear-powered merchant cargo ships were ever built. Of these, only one was succesfull. Biggest problems were: expense, special infrastructure, insurance. Nuclear icebreaker on the other hand have been a succes. Nuclear warships have seen their port access limited around the globe. Just some considerations.

Type 901 AOR. Notice the large stack in the center of the hangar area, above where machinery would be fitted. I don't think a nuclear powered ship would have that.
23982208464_bd5364d547_o.jpg

24199515462_60b1a0362a_o.jpg

2016-901-004.jpg

arktika-line3.gif

Nuclear plant seems to take up quit a bit of extra space.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom