What's new

China invades another Phil. Island.

Thanks for the informative post....so looks like Philipines government is as much to blame for not thinking this through on behalf of their own people.

By failing to implement a forward thinking defense policy, instead of focusing on an internal doctrine of self perpetuating ethnic and religious minorities (muslims), the Philippines has perpetuated the NPA (new people's army; a communist insurgency group--- which remains viable and active) threat, as well as the MNLF/ MILF/ Abu Sayaff threat -- to legitimize army deployments and cultivate a corruption-prone schema of their military class. In 30 years they have yet to crush the NPA, and have further isolated the Muslim minorities in their country with various failed government attempts (or government refusal to implement 'policies').

That is the main issue with Manila's previous 30 some years of defense strategy. They are now placed in a precarious position of realizing how badly underdeveloped, underpowered they are -- a nation of nearly 100 million people. It is really no one's fault, besides their dependence on this American 'ironclad' alliance treaty. It cultivated a culture of dependency, and perpetuated the Philippines' Protectorate-ship post 1946.

They have long ridden the assumption of American power and American hegemony, which is slowly starting to deteriorate at the rise of a resurgent China. In fact this is natural really, the responses, since for far too long the region was dpendent on the American guarantee. China's unequivocal rise as a global leader , and her overwhelming , comprehensive strategy to connect all markets through the One Belt One Road Paradigm in conjunction with the Maritime Silk Road Paradigm --- aims to supplant emphasis on the United States as global protector with China's own version of Soft Power and Cultural Paradigm of the Neo-Tianxia Praxis.

• Tianxia , in Chinese, means "All is equal under Heaven"
TianXiaWeiGong.png

@TaiShang and Chinese friends, your input, please.

Read what Nilijohn has written....looks to me like your government did not tie down US in a treaty to protect all islands. You know as a small country, you cannot do it yourself, you know there is a shark in the ocean. China probably picked you out as the weakest link, the country least likely to fight back.

Why should I read what he said? I can no longer tell if he is telling the truth after he finally revealed his true self.

They will do nothing. Absolutely nothing. :)

Yup, I am agree on you. As long as SCS is still in freedom of navigation mode or at least still open for merchant ships to go through, which is the reason of US concern, there will be no outsider (outside SCS countries) who will help, including USA and Japan.

I dont know whether SCS can still be opened in the future ( if in case China get huge areas there ).....?

Read what Nilijohn has written....looks to me like your government did not tie down US in a treaty to protect all islands. You know as a small country, you cannot do it yourself, you know there is a shark in the ocean. China probably picked you out as the weakest link, the country least likely to fight back.

My friend, this is why it was to the best Interest for India, all these years, to have remained strategically ambiguous to the United States. Cooperating wit Washington to suit your own national interest and agenda. Yet having the ability to cut cords when Washington requests policies that are antithetical to Delhi's strategem.

Manila could have learned from Delhi's policies, really. Rather, unfortunate as it is, have adopted a policy on trusting too much the 'good graces' of Washington.

Washington does not honor treaty alliances or geostrategic links. They can and will drop you like a hot potatoe when you no longer suit their agenda or benefit them. Case in point Saddam.

What you need to know about American foreign policy is this --- it is unilaterally pointed to their interest. They will collude with you , coax you, even sprinkle sweet words to rally you. Then watch as you jump into the abyss. And cutting the cord when you become too heavy.

Yup, I am agree on you. As long as SCS is still in freedom of navigation mode or at least still open for merchant ships to go through, which is the reason of US concern, there will be no outsider (outside SCS countries) who will help, including USA and Japan.

I dont know whether SCS can still be opened in the future ( if in case China get huge areas there ).....?

My recommendation, bro, is to develop yourself, and do not, never , depend on others to defend you. Learn from the Philippines. Remain strategically ambiguous, and most of all, do not be too trusting of the Australians and the Americans. With one hand they will praise you, and with the other, encourage protesters and NGOs in your country. Then when you refuse, they will issue warnings of "islamic rise in Indonesia", or "terror threat in Indonesia".

Do not be naive.

I think SCS will be kept opening in the future. If China choose to close SCS, Indo, Singapore or other countries can choose to block Malacca Strait. The price is too high for China to close down SCS.

No international condemnation,where is Obama,where is Japan or the other countries?

We spanked them with our BuddhaPalm again after 2012.

I think SCS will be kept opening in the future. If China choose to close SCS, Indo, Singapore or other countries can choose to block Malacca Strait. The price is too high for China to close down SCS.

Thats why I said in here, to understand your people aspiration about South China Sea....

If you for instant block SCS in the future, Malaka Strait will be death route since we also dont want to open our territorial waters for Merchant ships for something free, all ships must be circling our territory which means Jakarta port will be a hub, replacing Singapore.

Thats why I said in here, to understand your people aspiration about South China Sea....

If you for instant block SCS in the future, Malaka Strait will be death route since we also dont want to open our territorial waters for Merchant ships for something free, all ships must be circling our territory which means Jakarta port will be a hub, replacing Singapore.
Agree. It is impossible for China to close SCS owing to the price. China will keep building up in SCS and reinforce its presence in SCS. And that's all

No international condemnation,where is Obama,where is Japan or the other countries?

Americans are busy with themselves while Japan is more interested in cozying up with China economically and politically.

Agree. It is impossible for China to close SCS owing to the price. China will keep building up in SCS and reinforce its presence in SCS. And that's all

What is actually the important of SCS for Chinese btw ? since you seems to be so determent on it, even dare to challenge USA....?

What is actually the important of SCS for Chinese btw ? since you seems to be so determent on it, even dare to challenge USA....?
The following reasons are what I can think about:
First, Responsibility. Similar as Taiwan, the concept of SCS is belongs to China has been built in the bottom of heart among most of Chinese. China government isn't willing to take that risk to give up SCS. If do that, It will severely damage its legitimacy of governance.
Secondly, I think China urgently needs a safe port for nuclear submarine. If you look at the map of China, the best port for Chinese nuclear submarines is located at Hainan island. Therefore China has to build up a safe barrier for protecting its nuclear submarines.

What you need to know about American foreign policy is this --- it is unilaterally pointed to their interest. They will collude with you , coax you, even sprinkle sweet words to rally you. Then watch as you jump into the abyss. And cutting the cord when you become too heavy.

My recommendation, bro, is to develop yourself, and do not, never , depend on others to defend you. Learn from the Philippines. Remain strategically ambiguous, and most of all, do not be too trusting of the Australians and the Americans. With one hand they will praise you, and with the other, encourage protesters and NGOs in your country. Then when you refuse, they will issue warnings of "islamic rise in Indonesia", or "terror threat in Indonesia".

Do not be naive.

Exactly Nihonjin san. Pakistan learnt from this the hard way and Japan is finally waking up. They will defend you, rhetorically at least, if your interests are in line with theirs (if not unilaterally). However, be prepared to fund them for so called protection or allow them to militarily occupy your lands. Inviting them in is easy, getting rid of them is the hard part.

Last edited:
The following reasons are what I can think about:
First, Responsibility. Similar as Taiwan, the concept of SCS is belongs to China has been built in the bottom of heart among most of Chinese. China government isn't willing to take that risk to give up SCS. If do that, It will severely damage its legitimacy of governance.
Secondly, I think China urgently needs a safe port for nuclear submarine. If you look at the map of China, the best port for Chinese nuclear submarines is located at Hainan island. Therefore China has to build up a safe barrier for protecting its nuclear submarines.

OK, thanks for this reasoning, really appreciate it.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom