What's new

China HSR News And Information: Original Translation

Any news regarding latest HST rolling stock guys? I'm so curious with CRH350 Standardised so i keep reading the thread.

100th page:D
@ahojunk @TaiShang @powastick @Shotgunner51 @cirr @JSCh @yusheng @Daniel808 @anant_s @Jguo et al
Thank your for your contribution to this thread.:-)

@AndrewJin

I know that some HSR stations are bigger than small airports.

To give the other readers here an indication of their size, can you post pictures of the waiting rooms at large and small HSR stations.

I am sure you will have pictures of them.
Let me continue the previous topic on check-in which is in the waiting room.
In a big railway station, such as Shanghai Hongqiao(3rd biggest), Hangzhou East(7th biggest), Wuhan(22nd biggest), the waiting room has 2 sections, one for first half of a train, the other for the rest. So first after u print your ticket at TVMs, look at the number of check-in which is printed on the upper right corner of your ticket, for example, 11A. Similarly, there will be a 11B for the same train, but different cars.

After you receive ID check and security check at the entrance of the waiting room, u will see a big screen of the recent timetable. U see bullet trains at a terminal station are very frequent. The purpose of such big waiting rooms is to provide a separate waiting area and separate check-in for each train. More importantly, waiting rooms are just beyond platforms, and each waiting area/check in is just beyond its corresponding platform.
(Such design can only been seen in big or some of the medium size of railway stations)
11.jpg

Hangzhou East(7th biggest, ranking by the number of platforms), Eastern China
12.jpg

Shanghai Hongqiao(3rd biggest), Eastern China
13.jpg
13a.jpg

Chengdu East(11th biggest), Western China
15.jpg
15a.jpg

p.s. Chengdu's railway stations are characterised by a lot of passengers wearing panda costumes.

Next it's my most familiar station which is 3 subway stops from my home.
Hankou Railway Station, Central China.
This is a very typical medium size station, less than 20 platforms.
(not in the top30 ranking)
14.jpg

14a.jpg

Last edited:
@ahojunk I'd like to show u a rare case among top30 biggest railway stations in China.
Wuhan Railway Station, in my city Wuhan.
(22nd biggest, 20 platforms)

First, ID/security check
24.jpg

Then a big screen with information of recent train services can be seen.
(Green means check-in starts, red means check-in stops)
25.jpg

This high-speed railway station on Beijing-HK HSR is unique because
21.jpg

27.jpg

In nearly all big stations like the ones I showed before, waiting rooms are just beyond platforms.
But in Wuhan Railway Station as u can see from this photo, the ceiling is high and the waiting rooms are at the two ends.
26.jpg

Such designs make platforms look spacious.
Passengers feel less stressful compared to on other low-ceiling platforms.
The following photo shows the platform at the transition from high-ceiling to low-ceiling.
344.jpg

However, it has flaws.
The waiting rooms are totally divided into 2, one at the western end, one at the eastern end.
Each waiting room is much smaller.
22.jpg

baa.jpg

During festivals like Mid-autumn day, tomb sweeping day and of course spring festival, this station is usually insanely congested.

Any news regarding latest HST rolling stock guys? I'm so curious with CRH350 Standardised so i keep reading the thread.
600,000km trial operation on different high-speed railways across China.
1-2 years!

:enjoy:
Indonesia starts construction of high-speed rail line

WALINI, Indonesia (AP) — Indonesia broke ground Thursday on a joint project with China to build Southeast Asia's first high speed rail service, linking the Indonesian capital Jakarta with Bandung in western Java.

The 142.3 kilometer (88.4 mile) railway worth $5.5 billion is being constructed by PT Kereta Cepat Indonesia-China, a joint venture between an Indonesian consortium of four state-owned companies and China Railway International Co. Ltd.

The groundbreaking ceremony was presided over by Indonesia's President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo, who signed an inscription on a large stone in Walini, a West Java town and location of one of the railway's eight stations.

The rail deal was signed in October after Indonesia selected China over Japan for the three-year project. China agreed to complete railway without using Indonesian government money or requiring a government guarantee for loans. Indonesian companies have a combined 60 percent stake in the project.

Jokowi said not using the state budget for the rail project in heavily populated Java meant money wasn't taken away from infrastructure projects in other parts of Indonesia, a sprawling archipelago.

He said other railways are under construction in Sumatra and Sulawesi while others are planned for Papua and Kalimantan.

Also on hand for the ground breaking was Chinese State Councilor Wang Yong who arrived Wednesday and also will meet with Jokowi.

The trains are expected start operating in early 2019 with speeds of 250 kilometers (155 miles) an hour, and a fare of about $16 for a journey of about 40 minutes. The existing trains to Bandung, the capital of West Java province, take about three hours and cost about $8.

The Jakarta-Bandung line is part of a 750-kilometer (466-mile) high-speed train plant that would cut across four provinces on the main island of Java and end in the country's second largest city of Surabaya.

Several Southeast Asian countries are looking to replace or update aging rail networks, provoking fierce commercial competition between Japan and China which have expertise in developing high speed trains. A line linking Singapore with Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia is expected to be finished in 2020.

Jokowi who came to power in late 2014, has ambitious plans to improve Indonesia's infrastructure, which could boost manufacturing and create hundreds of thousands of new jobs.

The Indonesian state-owned companies in the joint venture with China are construction company PT Wijaya Karya, railway operator PT Kereta Api Indonesia, toll-road builder PT Jasa Marga and plantation company PT Perkebunan Nusantara VIII.

1.jpg

A visitor walks past a model of the high-speed train which will connect the capital city of Jakarta to the country's fourth largest city, Bandung, during the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of its railway in Cikalong Wetan, West Java, Indonesia, Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara)

2.jpg

Indonesian president Joko Widodo, left, inspects a model of the high-speed train which will connect the capital city of Jakarta to the country's fourth largest city, Bandung, with President of China Railway Corp. Sheng Guangzu, right, Chinese State Councillor Wang Yong, second right, and Chinese Ambassador to Indonesia Xie Feng, third right, during the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of its railway in Cikalong Wetan, West Java, Indonesia, Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara)

3.jpg

Indonesian Muslim women pose for a photo near the model of the high-speed train which will connect the capital city of Jakarta to the country's fourth largest city, Bandung, during the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of its railway in Cikalong Wetan, West Java, Indonesia, Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara)

4.jpg

Indonesian President Joko Widodo, right wearing a white helmet, leads a pack of people as he inspects the construction site of the high-speed railway which will connect Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia, to Bandung, the country's fourth largest city, during its groundbreaking ceremony in Cikalong Wetan, West Java, Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara)

5.jpg

Indonesian president Joko Widodo, center, inspects a model of the high-speed railway which will connect the capital city of Jakarta to the country's fourth largest city, Bandung, along with Director of Indonesia China High Speed Train Hanggoro Budi Wiryawan, left, President of China Railway Corp. Sheng Guangzu, right, Chinese State Councillor Wang Yong, second right, and Chinese Ambassador to Indonesia Xie Feng, fourth right, during the groundbreaking ceremony for its construction in Cikalong Wetan, West Java, Indonesia, Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara)

6.jpg

Indonesian President Joko Widodo, center, gestures as he inspects a model of the high-speed train which will connect the capital city of Jakarta to the country's fourth largest city, Bandung, along with, from left to right, West Java Governor Ahmad Heryawan, Director of Indonesia China High Speed Train Hanggoro Budi Wiryawan, Indonesian Minister for State Enterprises Rini Soemarno, President of China Railway Corp. Sheng Guangzu and Chinese State Councilor Wang Yong, during the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of its railway in Cikalong Wetan, West Java, Indonesia, Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara)
@TaiShang @Dungeness @Martian2 @JSCh @Jguo @Economic superpower et al

Rebirth of Xiamen City's old railway station
Reopened on 24th January 2016

Xiamen Railway Station 2 decades ago
a6efce1b9d16fdfa58456165b28f8c5494ee7b14.jpg

The rebuilt Xiamen Railway Station
Northern entrance and waiting rooms will be officially opened on 24th January 2016.
屏幕快照 2016-01-22 20.16.52.png
屏幕快照 2016-01-22 20.17.02.png

Xiamen's new high-speed railway terminal
Xiamen North Railway Station
6厦门北站-15104395455.jpg

111.png

Photos taken in last winter
Xiamen North Railway Station
Waiting room and check-in
1212.jpg

Platform
231.jpg

Arrival floor

BRT provided, subway in the future
233.jpg

Last edited:
What a big contrast and improvement of the new over the old.

Old Xiamen Station.
a6efce1b9d16fdfa58456165b28f8c5494ee7b14-jpg.288965

New Xiamen Station.
%E5%B1%8F%E5%B9%95%E5%BF%AB%E7%85%A7-2016-01-22-20-16-52-png.288963

What some people don't understand is we also need the supporting HSR infrastructure such as bigger capacity railway stations, booking system, signal system, maintenance workshops, etc. over and above the new tracks and rolling stock to make the entire HSR work.

It is certainly more than just building the new tracks and putting in the fast rolling stock.

There are other things that have to be considered!

What a big contrast and improvement of the new over the old.

Old Xiamen Station.
a6efce1b9d16fdfa58456165b28f8c5494ee7b14-jpg.288965

New Xiamen Station.
%E5%B1%8F%E5%B9%95%E5%BF%AB%E7%85%A7-2016-01-22-20-16-52-png.288963

What some people don't understand is we also need the supporting HSR infrastructure such as bigger capacity railway stations, booking system, signal system, maintenance workshops, etc. over and above the new tracks and rolling stock to make the entire HSR work.

It is certainly more than just building the new tracks and putting in the fast rolling stock.

There are other things that have to be considered!
Thanks to Alibaba's cloud technology, millions of Chinese can book their railway tickets at 12306.com/12306 app at the same time!
Before 2015 spring festival, the highest page views per day of 12306.com reached 29.7 billion.
More than 5 million tickets were sold online on the busiest day.
It can settle 1032 orders per second.
屏幕快照 2016-01-23 13.21.07.png

And the new Xiamen North HSR Station is scheduled to be extended with 17 more platforms to the north to meet the future need of new high-speed railways.
3824xiamen_north_railway_station.jpg

142643gpewwp8l36e1ilem.jpg

:offpost::offpost::offpost::offpost::offpost:
Warnings!
The following photos are off-topic!:D

I went to one of the Wanda Malls here in Wuhan last week
Some photos I'd like to share

Chu River Han Street
(Chu as in the Kingdom of Chu, 2000-3000 years ago before Qin's unification; Han as in Wuhan, Han Dynasty, Han Chinese, Han River)

Before
1.jpg

Thanks to Wanda Group!
It becomes not just a shopping paradise, but also a cultural centre with an indoor movie park, a theatre for local shows and apartment buildings providing free housing to local residents.
1a.jpg

3a.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

The China's scale of the city transformation is unprecedented in the history of mankind!

The China's scale of the city transformation is unprecedented in the history of mankind!
Yes, me too. I am astonished by the scale and speed of transformation in China!

Eight years ago, there was no HSR in China. Today in Jan 2016, China has the world's largest HSR network which made up 60% of the world's HSR network. It has the longest HSR route. It has the HSR that is highest above sea level (with the highest tunnel). It has HSR that runs across the desert and strong winds. It has HSR that runs in cold climate in NE China, and HSR that runs in tropical Hainan. It has the fastest operating speed of 350 kph with the smoothest ride. It has increasing customer patronage with the largest passenger/mileage, etc, etc.

That's is why I am so fascinated by China but I have to admit that I am a little biased!

I used to view China as a backward and poor country 20 years ago but not today.

-------
I find the following interesting as air stewardesses and HSR stewardesses are sharing their knowledge and "exchanging service experiences". This activity is hosted by Xian Railway Bureau and China Eastern Airlines.

XI'AN, Jan. 23, 2016 (Xinhua) -- CRH stewardesses and flight stewardesses exchange service experience and serve the passengers together at a CRH train in Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, on Jan. 23, 2016. Xi'an Railway Bureau and China Eastern Airlines jointly hosted the activity on Saturday to exchange service experiences preparing for the upcoming Spring Festival travel rush.

Below are some pictures, enjoy!

135038774_14535516660381n.jpg

135038774_14535516660811n.jpg

135038774_14535516659511n.jpg

135038774_14535516659961n.jpg

135038774_14535516659051n.jpg

135038774_14535516658441n.jpg

Eight years ago, there was no HSR in China. Today in Jan 2016, China has the world's largest HSR network which made up 60% of the world's HSR network. It has the longest HSR route. It has the HSR that is highest above sea level (with the highest tunnel). It has HSR that runs across the desert and strong winds. It has HSR that runs in cold climate in NE China, and HSR that runs in tropical Hainan. It has the fastest operating speed of 350 kph with the smoothest ride. It has increasing customer patronage with the largest passenger/mileage, etc, etc.

That's is why I am so fascinated by China but I have to admit that I am a little biased!

Absolutely!Especially in the context of developed (or developing) democratic countries, where any infrastructure project worth mentioning could turn into an eternal ordeal. Many countries have been discussing HSR dreams for as long as 30 years, but yet to lay a single foot of track.

Young people in China may take "China Speed" for granted, but for many overseas Chinese, today's China is nothing less than a miracle. I still remember the time of Wen-Yong train accident in 2011, those Nay Sayers in both China and in other parts of the world, including many in PDF, literally turned the unfortunate accident into a China-Bashing Carnival. Look at what China has done since then!

For the past 60+ year, China has singlehandedly proved to the world that the history of mankind has yet to end, and there are more than one way to achieve prosperity for a poor country, but which is exactly what the western world is afraid of. China will face lots of challenges, but so does any country in the world.

Hats off to China!

-------
I find the following interesting as air stewardesses and HSR stewardesses are sharing their knowledge and "exchanging service experiences". This activity is hosted by Xian Railway Bureau and China Eastern Airlines.

XI'AN, Jan. 23, 2016 (Xinhua) -- CRH stewardesses and flight stewardesses exchange service experience and serve the passengers together at a CRH train in Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, on Jan. 23, 2016. Xi'an Railway Bureau and China Eastern Airlines jointly hosted the activity on Saturday to exchange service experiences preparing for the upcoming Spring Festival travel rush.

Below are some pictures, enjoy!

View attachment 289297

View attachment 289298

View attachment 289299

View attachment 289296

View attachment 289300

View attachment 289301
Who is flight stewardess, who is CRH stewardess?
They are equally elegant!
FOREIGN201506251031000476994222267.jpg
9TST6RSU00AN0001.jpg

My observations of the uncanny similarities between air travel and HSR travel in China:-

1) The HSR station size remind me of small airports.
2) You need id (ID card or passport) to purchase tickets.
3) The security procedure of checking baggage very similar to that at airports.
4) The waiting rooms are of similar sizes.
5) Prior to getting to the platforms, your ticket is machine scanned (similar to airplane boarding check in)
6) The stewardess' uniform remind me of airline stewardess. They are equally beautiful and elegant
7) HSR speed is fast and getting closer to airplane speed.

HSR beats airplane travel (for distances less than 1000 km):-
- punctuality, less delay compared to airplanes
- frequency - every few minutes there is a train
- stops between the end-points
- convenience, the HSR stations are located in the city centre
- you don't need lengthy check-in time at the HSR station.
- the HSR seating is more comfortable
- better view from the HSR window, you can see the countryside, etc.

However, air travel beats HSR travel for distances more than 1000 km.

Sino-Myanmar Railway bridge with longest span in the world starts construction
By Huang Jin (People's Daily Online) 13:26, January 25, 2016

FOREIGN201601251328000225049802710.jpg

Photo taken on Jan. 19 shows the pier and cable crane tower of the Nu River Bridge. (Photo/Xinhua)

FOREIGN201601251328000426125244195.jpg

Photo taken on Jan. 19 shows the pier and cable crane tower of the Nu River Bridge. (Photo/Xinhua)

Construction begins on the Nu River Bridge, a project along the Sino-Myanmar Railway, on Jan. 24. It will be the steel truss railroad bridge with the longest span in the world.

Located at the junction of the Shidian county and Longling county in southwest China's Yunnan Province, the Nu River Bridge will have a total length of 1,024 meters. The height of the bridge above the river will be 211 meters. The bridge will mainly use steel truss arch beams with a span of 490 meters.

Yan Shuxin, a director from the constructors, China Railway 18 Bureau Group, said that due to restrictions arising from the special topography of the Nu River and Gaoligong mountains, the railway station will be built upon a deck. The width of the deck will reach 24.9 meters, which will be the widest among the same type of railway bridges in China. The construction of the Nu River Bridge will use over 46,000 tons of steel. It will require rare precision in the manufacturing of the steel trusses, and pose high risks in terms of assembling steel trusses at high-altitude.

The Sino-Myanmar Railway linking China's Kunming and Myanmar's Yangon covers a total length of 1,920 kilometers, among which, a 690-km-long section is in the territory of China. A 350-km-long railway from Kunming to Dali in China has been built. With the Nu River Railway Bridge, the 340-km-long railway linking Dali and Ruili will help to reduce the current travel time of 7 hours to about 2 hours by train.

Back
Top Bottom