What's new

China HSR News And Information: Original Translation

The end of an era
The final non-A/C slow trains:cry:

Tomorrow is 10 January, there will be a major timetable upgrade across China.
Today, a lot of provinces witnessed their final non-A/C slow trains, including Guangdong
Province and Jiangsu Province.
An old era has closed, but a new era will begin!

Train no.7101, Nanjing-Huangshan
The final non-A/C slow train in Jiangsu Province

View attachment 285944 View attachment 285945 View attachment 285946

I love u, goodbye!:cry:
View attachment 285949
View attachment 285953

As usual, warming up cars
View attachment 285952

Sweet old time
View attachment 285950

A verse club on the final non-A/C train
View attachment 285951
@cirr @powastick @anant_s @Echo_419 @Jguo @Nan Yang @ahojunk @cnleio @TaiShang

As they say all good things must come to an end.
I'm sure people of China would have had fond memories of travel in them.
These trains provided great service, but now its time to rest and pass on the baton of duty to next generation.

Here in India, last year, we bid adieu to DC Electrical Multiple Units after 90 years of service. I was present for on such ceremony, and its hard to believe how much of an attachment people have with seemingly lifeless machinery.
Last DC EMU service from Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Bombay Victoria Terminus) on Central railways section of Mumbai.
tn_in-mumbai-dc-ac-20150607-centralrailway.jpg

Inauguration of these services back in 1925.
giprinauguralelec-570x350.jpg

I guess its because its part of our daily lives.

Last edited:
As they say all good things must come to an end.
I'm sure people of China would have had fond memories of travel in them.
These trains provided great service, but now its time to rest and pass on the baton of duty to next generation.
Both bad and good memories, but I'm sure a lot of passengers will have them at heart when they take the new bullet trains from Nanjing to Huangshan. :-)

Both bad and good memories, but I'm sure a lot of passengers will have them at heart when they take the new bullet trains from Nanjing to Huangshan. :-)
Thats good to know, things are changing for better.
Faster and more comfortable trains with higher capacities.
& for operating companies its always easier to maintain newer technology. As rolling stock gets older, maintenance progressively gets costlier, so Business wise, i guess its a welcome move.

PS: Andrew, can you post some technical information on these new train sets like wheel arrangement, power transfer etc?

U mean bullet or ?

Beijing-Shanghai High-speed Railway Wins State Scientific and Technological Progress Award
20160108021118596.png
20160108111603659.png

The Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway has won the special prize for the State Scientific and Technological Progress Award.

The over 1300-kilometer-long railway is the longest high-speed rail constructed to the highest standard in China.

He Huawu, chief engineer at China Railway Corporation, said it combines all the advanced high-speed rail technologies and innovations in terms of both design and construction.

"Its average travel speed is the highest in the world. And all technological indicators are the best of its kind in the world. Innovations have been made in terms of rail and infrastructure, train operation control system, trains, electricity supply and smart transportation."

Cheng Xiandong, head of the transportation department of the China Railway Corporation, explained how the project's train operation control system works.

"A speed curve is calculated based on the rail condition and signal information 32 kilometers ahead of the train. The train driver is supposed to drive the train according to the speed curve. If the driver is not operating properly with faster running speed, the train will decelerate and even stop automatically."

The railway's construction work officially started in 2008 although its design began in 1990, and the whole project was finally complete and started operation at the end of June, 2011.

Currently 360 high-speed trains, with a record trial speed of over 480 kilometers per hour, run on the railway on a daily basis with a minimum interval of 4 minutes, and average daily passenger flow can reach 340 thousand during peak travel periods.

The Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway has shortened the travel time between the two cities from 14 hours to less than five, and has transported over 400 million passengers as of the end of last year.

Nanjing Dashengguan Railway Bridge, Beijing-Shanghai HSR
(6 tracks, 2 for Shanghai-Beijing HSR, 2 for Shanghai-Chengdu HSR, 2 for local metro)

LOCAL201601090745000567478537481.jpg

rdn_56909e058e241.jpg

20160108111654567.png

屏幕快照 2016-01-09 22.21.08.jpg

U mean bullet or ?
Yes the High speed Train sets.
I'm interested to know how power is distributed across the train. Conventionally (i'm quoting case of Alstom make HST like TGV), there are two drive cabins, that house the controls and power transformers. The coaches have motor mounted bogies at certain period, so we have a distributed drive system and this makes it possible to use smaller (& thereby lighter weight) motors, having a very high combined power output, which gives the HST their characteristic extremely quick acceleration.
TGV Setup
motrice.jpg

Power Car

166.jpg

Motor setup beneath the bogie.

I'm inclined to believe Chinese HSTs use a similar engineering philosophy, unfortunately in absence of any english literature in this area, i'm not exactly sure.

Yes the High speed Train sets.
I'm interested to know how power is distributed across the train. Conventionally (i'm quoting case of Alstom make HST like TGV), there are two drive cabins, that house the controls and power transformers. The coaches have motor mounted bogies at certain period, so we have a distributed drive system and this makes it possible to use smaller (& thereby lighter weight) motors, having a very high combined power output, which gives the HST their characteristic extremely quick acceleration.
TGV Setup
View attachment 285999

Power Car

View attachment 285998

Motor setup beneath the bogie.

I'm inclined to believe Chinese HSTs use a similar engineering philosophy, unfortunately in absence of any english literature in this area, i'm not exactly sure.
I think this Alstom train is not multiple units? Power is from the first car?
Yes, most railway articles and information on Chinese railway are in Chinese, nearly impossible to find some useful English.

I think this Alstom train is not multiple units? Power is from the first car?
TGV works that way.
I would request you to kindly observe and tell how many pantographs does an average train set (for HST) in China have? My guess is there will be 2.
Now the reason here is that there are two power drawing pantographs (on in each forward and rear power or drive cars). These cars have 1 transformer each and it feeds, half the train.
motrice.jpg

In essence what it does is that there are smaller capacity transformers (lower weight and cooling requirement) and 2 transformers allow operation of a train set at lower power while allowing single component failure (power electronics included).
TGV_Haute_Picardie.JPG

Guangzhou railway group, Guangzhou communications department, say that from January 31 to February 5th (Chinese lunar calendar, 22 to 27), there will be a special highspeed train everyday for those who ride motocycle going home on festive holiday previously,.and in order to transport their motocycles, a free cargo train is ready on 27th Janu from station guangzhou to foshan, guigang; the owners can get their motocycles in the gas station near the railway station.

and 1st, Feb speical train is free too, the cost is donated by the local enterprises.
MAIN201509301342000486112438766.jpg

TGV works that way.
I would request you to kindly observe and tell how many pantographs does an average train set (for HST) in China have? My guess is there will be 2.
Now the reason here is that there are two power drawing pantographs (on in each forward and rear power or drive cars). These cars have 1 transformer each and it feeds, half the train.
View attachment 286010
In essence what it does is that there are smaller capacity transformers (lower weight and cooling requirement) and 2 transformers allow operation of a train set at lower power while allowing single component failure (power electronics included).
View attachment 286007
A standard CRH380A (8 cars) has 2 pantographs.
8 cars are comprised of 6M 2T.
屏幕快照 2016-01-09 22.58.18.png

crh380a转弯2.jpg

Guangzhou railway group, Guangzhou communications department, say that from January 31 to February 5th (Chinese lunar calendar, 22 to 27), there will be a special highspeed train everyday for those who ride motocycle going home on festive holiday previously,.and in order to transport their motocycles, a free cargo train is ready on 27th Janu from station guangzhou to foshan, guigang; the owners can get their motocycles in the gas station near the railway station.

and 1st, Feb speical train is free too, the cost is donated by the local enterprises.
View attachment 286087
That's a great service for migrant workers!
So they can first have a free ride on bullet trains from Guangzhou to Guiguang, then they will fetch their motorcycles and ride home in the countryside!:enjoy:

2015年2月10日,在北京南开往青岛的G177次列车上,列车长陈丽娟和餐车长王建飞正在张贴福字窗花.png

Last edited:
China's new high-speed rail now accounts for 60% of all trains
Starting from Jan 9, 2016 at 0 o'clock, the new railway operation diagram will take effect. The number of high-speed trains will be 1980.5 pairs, which accounts for more than 60 percent of all trains. [Photo/Xinhua]
d8cb8a5155b017fbd54102.jpg
d8cb8a5155b017fbd54103.jpg
d8cb8a5155b017fbd54101.jpg

Fujian to pilot 'Expresspay Card' on high speed railways
Fujian province plans to pilot the "China Railway Banking Expresspay" on its 60 CRH trains during the Spring Festival travel peak in 2016.

Passengers will be able to simply swipe their "China Railway and Banking Expresspay" cards at turnstiles to board trains traveling between Fuzhou-Xiamen, Longyan-Xiamen and Hefei-Fuzhou, without buying tickets in advance.

The trains will reserve some seats for the card holders. The ticket fare will be deducted directly from the card balance. Passengers can apply for the card at railway stations in Fuzhou. Each card costs 30 yuan ($4.55) plus a necessary first-time charge of at least 300 yuan.

The "China Railway Banking Expresspay" card, issued by the China Railway Corporation and the Bank of China, is expected to enable passengers to board high speed trains more conveniently. The card contains each holder's personal information such as their name and ID number.

There are 80-100 trains per day from Fuzhou to Xiamen on a off-peak day,
connecting Fujian Province' 2 biggest cities.
Fuzhou South Railway Station, capital of Fujian Province
20140319102042-1726278715.jpg

Xiamen North Railway Station
010638o1p1zbpksgk1fg38.jpg.thumb.jpg
010657ni7mvzmbxl7srvxw.jpg.thumb.jpg

HSR Network of Southeastern China
屏幕快照 2016-01-10 20.30.06.jpg

From 10 January, the following items cannot be brought inside any railway station
mp53494109_1452328620344_2.jpeg

Security check at Wuhan Railway Station
1.jpg

Security check at Nanjing South Railway Station
2.jpg

屏幕快照 2016-01-11 09.34.58.jpg

Last edited:
mp53494109_1452328620344_2.jpeg

@AndrewJin

I really like how China is taking security so seriously for its HSR.

When I was there, it causes a tiny little bit of inconvenience but no a problem.

I am happy with the extra security which ensues.

After all, HSR are expensive which needs to be guarded carefully.

Actually, taking a HSR in China is just like taking a plane. The two distinctive features are the size of the stations which looks like airport terminals and the security checks.

Back
Top Bottom