What's new

China Hong Kong SAR: News and Images

long quote, read above

I don't see voting as pointless at all. I understand there are other people out there with differing opinions, and I will not always get my way. That's why we vote. I don't agree with the oligopoly opinion at all either. University professors are always feeling hurt that people don't just do what they say - and to them that means the country is not a democracy. If it were a democracy, we'd do what they say, so, well, if we disagree with them we're fascists, or the people voted into office are oligarchs, or some other name calling. Recognize sour grapes when you see it.

As far as the "inconsequential" arguments, it is up to people to decide for themselves what they think is important and what they want to fight/vote/protest over. That IS democracy - the people decide what the issues are, as well as voting on them.

My main reason for visiting this site is to gain insight into cultural thinking. So, I am always curious when someone declares how bad country X is, how much better Y is, why they would continue to live in X rather than move to Y. Honestly, I have doubts that X is really so bad in the writer's eyes. The fact that he still lives there says something - that he is being a bit hypocritical about how terrible it is. I am less "love it or leave it" and more "why do you chose to live in an inferior area, by your own measure?" I don't live in the same state where I was born. I could probably move back if I wanted to, but I do not want to. I'm curious about people who decide to live somewhere they don't like, that is alien thinking to me. I have to believe that most of the people on this board that are over 18 can chose where to live (to some degee at least). Particularly if you are a non-American in the US, you have the option to go back to your home country. If you're Pakistani in Pakistan (or American living in America), you may have no option, but if your living outside your home country, it would be rare to be so limited.

Shame on you.
Yes, the UK has been colonized Hongkong for almost 100 years. and your country has insulted China for almost 100 years. It is a fact. But i can not believe it that you are proud that you have colonize the other countries.
we chinese know who is behine the HongKong clown. The UK.
We suggest you stop interfere the affairs of Hongkong and secede China . Or we will choose support the separarists in UK.

LMAO. The US is behind the protests but the UK? The UK has no influence anywhere and they barely held onto Scotland (probably through vote rigging). Educate yourself please. Right now you sound rather pathetic and ignorant.

well we never gave it because Hong kong people weren't really adamant about it back then, moreoever they were content with the little freedom, and prosperity we provided them compared to their mainland neighour. Also they regard us more in high esteem compared to their mainland 'brothers' and even less so other Asian emmigrants like Vietnamese, filipinos, Indonesians etc. I dont want to sound like a white supremacists, but i will say they seem to be ok being ruled by us(regardless of if we granted them more freedom to choose their leaders/democracy or not) than their giant 'brother' in the mainland or whatever.:agree::bounce:

You do sound like a white supremacist. Good to know. :crazy:

And all credit goes to the hardworking Chinese residents there and a favorable geographic location.

And British networking to all corners of their Empire... ;)

well we never gave it because Hong kong people weren't really adamant about it back then, moreoever they were content with the little freedom, and prosperity we provided them compared to their mainland neighour. Also they regard us more in high esteem compared to their mainland 'brothers' and even less so other Asian emmigrants like Vietnamese, filipinos, Indonesians etc. I dont want to sound like a white supremacists, but i will say they seem to be ok being ruled by us(regardless of if we granted them more freedom to choose their leaders/democracy or not) than their giant 'brother' in the mainland or whatever.:agree::bounce:

It's a shame you didn't grant them independence or made them into dominion as you did to Canada.

And if that were the case, then all corners of the British Empire would be as prosperous as Hong Kong. And they are! Oh wait....nope.

Most of their core colonies are. In fact, it's biggest "baby" is the world's sole Hyper Power--- the United States of America.

Her other major possessions are now economic and military powers in their own right such as Canada, South Africa, Australia-NZ, Singapore, Malaysia.

One could also include India and Pakistan.

I don't see voting as pointless at all. I understand there are other people out there with differing opinions, and I will not always get my way. That's why we vote. I don't agree with the oligopoly opinion at all either. University professors are always feeling hurt that people don't just do what they say - and to them that means the country is not a democracy. If it were a democracy, we'd do what they say, so, well, if we disagree with them we're fascists, or the people voted into office are oligarchs, or some other name calling. Recognize sour grapes when you see it.

As far as the "inconsequential" arguments, it is up to people to decide for themselves what they think is important and what they want to fight/vote/protest over. That IS democracy - the people decide what the issues are, as well as voting on them.

My main reason for visiting this site is to gain insight into cultural thinking. So, I am always curious when someone declares how bad country X is, how much better Y is, why they would continue to live in X rather than move to Y. Honestly, I have doubts that X is really so bad in the writer's eyes. The fact that he still lives there says something - that he is being a bit hypocritical about how terrible it is. I am less "love it or leave it" and more "why do you chose to live in an inferior area, by your own measure?" I don't live in the same state where I was born. I could probably move back if I wanted to, but I do not want to. I'm curious about people who decide to live somewhere they don't like, that is alien thinking to me. I have to believe that most of the people on this board that are over 18 can chose where to live (to some degee at least). Particularly if you are a non-American in the US, you have the option to go back to your home country. If you're Pakistani in Pakistan (or American living in America), you may have no option, but if your living outside your home country, it would be rare to be so limited.

That's not my take on what he wrote at all. In fact, inframan sounded more frustrated with America's relative decline than anything else. Frustration shows that he cares enough about the issue to get emotional about it. If he didn't care about America's wellbeing, he'd probably ignore

Democracy is about actually being able to influence the government in a meaningful way. We all know that's not really the case here because what began as a noble idea has long since been co-opted by corporate interests and a very small political and economic elite. They still maintain the pretense of mass political participation and involvement but it's just that - a pantomime. Just deciding and voting for either side of the same coin but not being able to change anything is meaningless, IMO. It's nice that you still believe but I don't. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
And British networking to all corners of their Empire... ;)

It's a shame you didn't grant them independence or made them into dominion as you did to Canada.

lool Its because we had leased Hong Kong for 100 years from the Chinese after we defeated them during the opium war. So we had to ceed it to them back after the leased expired. Else it will have been illegal or even lead to a senseless conflict, which no side will have benefited from it.

Most of their core colonies are. In fact, it's biggest "baby" is the world's sole Hyper Power--- the United States of America.

Her other major possessions are now economic and military powers in their own right such as Canada, South Africa, Australia-NZ, Singapore, Malaysia.

I definitely wouldn't include India and Pakistan as neither are remotely close to first world standards. But don't take my word for it. Ask our Indian and Pakistani PDF friends if they are thankful for the British raping their lands. Go ahead.

I wouldn't include the parts of Africa they conquered either. And the US did well after it bloodied the British and sent them scurrying. Kind of the whole point of their revolution - because the Americans weren't prospering under the British yoke in the way they thought they should. And don't use the phrase "core" colonies. That's weasel wording (purposefully vague with a definition that can be broadly interpreted to help your argument) and you, as an intellectual, are better than that.

Last edited:

Exactly bro, he fails to understand that.
Now compare it with French colonies.:lol:

LMAO. The US is behind the protests but the UK? The UK has no influence anywhere and they barely held onto Scotland (probably through vote rigging). Educate yourself please. Right now you sound rather pathetic and ignorant.

You do sound like a white supremacist. Good to know. :crazy:

lool seems you don't even know your own 'city' well. As i said before, when it comes to Hong Kong, we still have more influence there even more than our former 'colonial baby' the U.S. Ask your Chinese brothers on here like Jane Cheng or better still Chinese Dragon who is from hong Kong. He will explain to you better bro.:cheers:.

As for your last point, im not a white supremacists/racists or whatever you wanna call me. In fact my wife is black(mixed race in fact, so half black), so i have nothing against other race. I was just making a point/stating some facts, If not why do you think the people of Hong Kong never/hardly ever protested/caused trouble for 'freedom/democracy' when we ruled them even though they had even less freedom to choose their leaders under our rule than they do now?:cheesy:. So you might not agree with me, but that doesnt make me a white supremacist or whatever you wanna call it. :cheers:

Last edited:
Exactly bro, he fails to understand that.
Now compare it with French colonies.:lol:

lool seems you don't even know your own 'city' well. As i said before, when it comes to Hong Kong, we still have more influence there even more than our former 'colonial baby' the U.S. Ask your Chinese brothers on here like Jane Cheng or better still Chinese Dragon who is from hong Kong. He will explain to you better bro.:cheers:.

As for your last point, im not a white supremacists/racists or whatever you wanna call me. In fact my wife is black(mixed race in fact, so half black), so i have nothing against other race. I was just making a point/stating some facts, If not why do you think the people of Hong Kong never/hardly ever protested/caused trouble for 'freedom/democracy' when we ruled them even though they had even less freedom to choose their leaders under our rule than they do now?:cheesy:. So you might not agree with me, but that doesnt make me a white supremacist or whatever you wanna call it. :cheers:

Ask Jane Cheng? Jane Cheng has no idea what she's talking about as you yourself pointed out when she idiotically suggested that there were UK separatists that China could support. But when she falsely/incorrectly attributes power and influence to a feckless and dying modern day UK, now she's a knowledgeable PDF contributor who's previously asinine opinions can be disregarded because, like an emotionally needy child, you got an ego boost? :rofl:

Ask Jane Cheng? Jane Cheng has no idea what she's talking about as you yourself pointed out when she idiotically suggested that there were UK separatists that China could support. But when she falsely/incorrectly attributes power and influence to a feckless and dying modern day UK, now she's a knowledgeable PDF contributor who's previously asinine opinions can be disregarded because, like an emotionally needy child, you got an ego boost? :rofl:

Which ego boost are you talking about bro? As i said before, we still have alot of influence in Hong Kong, afterall, its normal since we ruled them for over a 100 years and just ceeded them back to chinese rule just less than 2 decades ago(about 18years ago). So obviously we will still have influence there, since Hong Kong still follwos the laws we implemented there, and its a world financial hub, something we are world leaders in as well, so obviously we will have much more influence there than any other Foreign power(including the U.S). So this is not about ego boosting, its just stating facts to be hoenst.
Anyway guess we should just leave this topic aside and focus about the topic at hand which is about Japan's silence over the protests in Hong Kong.:cheers:

Which ego boost are you talking about bro? As i said before, we still have alot of influence in Hong Kong, afterall, its normal since we ruled them for over a 100 years and just ceeded them back to chinese rule just less than 2 decades ago(about 18years ago). So obviously we will still have influence there, since Hong Kong still follwos the laws we implemented there, and its a world financial hub, something we are world leaders in as well, so obviously we will have much more influence there than any other Foreign power(including the U.S). So this is not about ego boosting, its just stating facts to be hoenst.
Anyway guess we should just leave this topic aside and focus about the topic at hand which is about Japan's silence over the protests in Hong Kong.:cheers:

The ego boost from someone else actually thinking the UK is relevant and subsequent pride at being a UK citizen. At any rate, I don't equate influence with legacy. British legacy institutions are in place but that's not the same thing as being able to influence political outcomes, for instance. Similarly, Japan still uses Chinese characters in their writing - a legacy from an intertwined history, but I wouldn't say that China has that much influence over Japan. Anyways, back to the topic, as you say.

smar tguys the japs

why should they take teh UDTA TEER backsides on this one

The ego boost from someone else actually thinking the UK is relevant and subsequent pride at being a UK citizen. At any rate, I don't equate influence with legacy. British legacy institutions are in place but that's not the same thing as being able to influence political outcomes, for instance. Similarly, Japan still uses Chinese characters in their writing - a legacy from an intertwined history, but I wouldn't say that China has that much influence over Japan. Anyways, back to the topic, as you say.

Good to know we can have a conversation even though we might disagree with each other without namecalling/personal attacks. I appreciate that.:cheers::-)
By the way, where is Chinese Dragon? He is nowhere to be found in thsi thread, and similar others, since he's from Hong Kong, thought he might help us expantiate more on some points on here.:-)

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom