What's new

China Hong Kong SAR: News and Images

Sept. 28: The Police Respond With Tear Gas

The police used tear gas against protesters after tens of thousands of people blocked a main road to Central, the main financial district, outside the government headquarters in Hong Kong on Sunday.
g.jpg

The escalation of police action, including the city’s first use of tear gas in years and the presence of officers with long-barreled guns, appeared to galvanize the public, drawing more people onto the streets.
l.jpg

The protests started after a weeklong boycott of classes by university students to protest China’s election plan.
g.jpg

Crowds had besieged the city government for three days.

g.jpg

Streets of a city known as a safe enclave for commerce became a battleground between helmeted police and umbrella-holding protesters.
g.jpg

A pro-democracy demonstrator was overcome after police used pepper spray.
A pro-democracy demonstrator was overcome after police used pepper spray..jpg

The escalation of the protests, and the unusually strong response by the police, pointed to the possibility of a long confrontation between a city government pressured by the Chinese Communist Party’s demands for top-down control and residents’ demands for a city leadership chosen by democratic means.
d.jpg

Thousands of residents with umbrellas and face masks defied police orders to clear the area.
Thousands of residents with umbrellas and face masks defied police orders to clear the area..jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/01/world/asia/hong-kong-protest-photos.html

Hmm, they must speak for all Canadians. I must not have gotten the memo at the "Canada National Inferiority Meeting." I was probably at the "So glad we're not out killing hundreds of thousands of people and creating a never ending stream of enemies that hate us and want us dead so that we'll never be at rest" meeting instead. :coffee:

Shame on you.
Yes, the UK has been colonized Hongkong for almost 100 years. and your country has insulted China for almost 100 years. It is a fact. But i can not believe it that you are proud that you have colonize the other countries.
we chinese know who is behine the HongKong clown. The UK.
We suggest you stop interfere the affairs of Hongkong and secede China . Or we will choose support the separarists in UK.
When UK took over HK, it was a fishing village with 3000 residents. When UK left HK, it was arguably the most advanced city in all of Asia with 7 million residents.

When UK took over HK, it was a fishing village with 3000 residents. When UK left HK, it was arguably the most advanced city in all of Asia with 7 million residents.

Because the once fishing village sucked all the people and ressource from chinese region around, granted china was living hell back then no less also thanks to the britains, hong kong was made into a colony port where all the blood and ressources from around transferred to europe, part of the ressources and some refugees inevitably made contribution to hong kong itself.

And by the way its smart move of japan for not getting involved, if they give out official support for the demonstration it would more likely make those protestors look like national traitors, if japan want to support some group in china they do it best by keep mouth shut and give silent support in secret.

And by the way its smart move of japan for not getting involved, if they give out official support for the demonstration it would more likely make those protestors look like national traitors, if japan want to support some group in china they do it best by keep mouth shut and give silent support in secret.

We adhere to a strict non-interference policy. Actually both China and Japan adhere to this as specified in the 1978 TOPF.

Hong Kong's usefulness as a financial hub is being eclipsed by mainland Chinese cities, most notably Shanghai. Add to that the fact that most Hong Kongers don't speak mandarin, have a hard time competing, and suddenly see their "poor brothers" on the Mainland getting richer and you end up with a lot of frustration.

That explains a lot.

Hmm, they must speak for all Canadians. I must not have gotten the memo at the "Canada National Inferiority Meeting." I was probably at the "So glad we're not out killing hundreds of thousands of people and creating a never ending stream of enemies that hate us and want us dead so that we'll never be at rest" meeting instead. :coffee:
...and then you came here to join the, "I am a stalwart supporter of Jew hating, neo-Nazi bigots" meeting that Infra_Man was hosting so I will just chock it up to you being a very, very, different person than the average Canadian indeed, and leave it at that.

Canada Joins Battle Against ISIS - NBC News

...and then you came here to join the, "I am a stalwart supporter of Jew hating, neo-Nazi bigots" meeting that Infra_Man was hosting so I will just chock it up to you being a very, very, different person than the average Canadian indeed, and leave it at that.

Canada Joins Battle Against ISIS - NBC News

Typical American rightwing nutjob - lie and dissemble when you're losing an argument. Have you any proof that I'm anti-semitic? Any at all? Just because I support some of what he says, doesn't mean I agree with everything he says. At the same time, I'm not about to tell him to leave his home because I don't like what he's saying as you like to do. How very authoritarian of you. :disagree:

Shame on you.
Yes, the UK has been colonized Hongkong for almost 100 years. and your country has insulted China for almost 100 years. It is a fact. But i can not believe it that you are proud that you have colonize the other countries.
we chinese know who is behine the HongKong clown. The UK.
We suggest you stop interfere the affairs of Hongkong and secede China . Or we will choose support the separarists in UK.

lool which seperatists will you support in U.K bro?:lol:. China has little or no influence over the U.K .lol In fact your prime minister when he last visited the U.K over a week ago just before the Scottish referendum, stressed that he's in favor of the U.K remaining united.:p: He said this not because he likes us per say, but because he knows they have no influence in changing anything, moreover China is wary of any sort of referendum for independence due to their wariness of their restive regions(Uygur). so they don't want anything to do with independence/separtism even if it concerns their rival countries like U.S,Japan or U.K. so there you go for your government supporting seperatism in U.K. lool :lol:

Anyway, i wasn't implying im proud we colonised other countries bro. I was just making a point, about the current/past geo political realities going on in asia and the world. All what i said were mere facts(though they sometimes hurt, yes truth hurts i know).:meeting: So its nothing personal bro. Just politics, as you know its never a clean game, and never will be, you just have to learn to play the game, like the Russian bear:pleasantry:

Exactly bro, we might have commited lots of bad things as a colonial power, but we also helped developed many regions/countries we controlled/ruled. Everything wasn't always as bad as others try to portray it. Im not condoning colonialism, but im just saying we shouldn't always focus on the bad things we did, but also stressed the good ones as well.:cheers:
In fact compared to all others European colonial powers, British colonies are still the most prosperous/advanced even today, compared it to Portuguese or even more so French colonies and see for yourself.:-)

Last edited:

And all credit goes to the hardworking Chinese residents there and a favorable geographic location.

I tell you the reason.

Just look at HK Silent Majority, that is why!

British know, that is why they never give it.

well we never gave it because Hong kong people weren't really adamant about it back then, moreoever they were content with the little freedom, and prosperity we provided them compared to their mainland neighour. Also they regard us more in high esteem compared to their mainland 'brothers' and even less so other Asian emmigrants like Vietnamese, filipinos, Indonesians etc. I dont want to sound like a white supremacists, but i will say they seem to be ok being ruled by us(regardless of if we granted them more freedom to choose their leaders/democracy or not) than their giant 'brother' in the mainland or whatever.:agree::bounce:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom