What's new

China Hong Kong SAR: News and Images

Two years ago we had the same thing happen in Tokyo. Protesting around Ginza , traffic jams and unsightly , too.

Give it time, eventually it will dissipate.

Yup. Thats what I think initially
When their thrill die down things will return to normal
However it seems their background of supporting organization are more complicated than the one held in Japan

Ken Tsang took quite a beating from the cops :enjoy:

Actually from what I saw on the net the HK police were very careless of not knowing so many journalists and cameras around 8-):angel:

Yup. Thats what I think initially
When their thrill die down things will return to normal
However it seems their background of supporting organization are more complicated than the one held in Japan

It seems so. I think there are 4 camps that are part of this protest in Hong Kong. And its definitely very well organized.

Actually from what I saw on the net the HK police were very careless of not knowing so many journalists and cameras around 8-):angel:
oh well can't be to bothered about that :lol:

_78244325_6_back.jpg

It seems so. I think there are 4 camps that are part of this protest in Hong Kong. And its definitely very well organized.

The semi-open puzzle is how they are funded
There are at least 4 different visible factions each has its own leader and each goes on their own, so they are rather disintegrated until the next move from the police or the government which will give another prompt for unification :coffee:

oh well can't be to bothered about that :lol:

_78244325_6_back.jpg

Did he ask for a free tatoo and the HK police duely complied? 8-)

HK's recent event really isn't anything new or awe inspiring from historical perspective. Throughout human history, land and sovereign borders has been changing continuously. When there are change, there will be people complaining, regardless whether it is good or bad in the long run.

I have debated with quite a few people on the Chinese forum on the one nation two system issue. My perspective is that the "two system" isn't really about giving preferential treatment. The core of Chinese political thoughts in the past six decades has always been "you do what is necessary" rather than a single ideology. The "one country two system" or the Tibet policies are really no different. Like it or not, HK does have a different mentality than the rest of China in 1997. It still does today, but the difference is getting smaller and smaller. Nonetheless, the 50 years period is an estimation on how long the mental transition to take place and how long to phase out the stubborn ones.

Of course, all these are broad perspective. As for the specific event, there are enough outside manipulations and they are not even remotely subtle.

There are gangs and violence in this world. You fix one another takes its place. It is an ongoing battle for police. Sometimes mistake happens. We are all just human.

As for the case you presented. It was resolved. The officer was removed from his position. Protester made their point. They showed that unity is power.
Ferguson police chief apologizes over black teen's shooting - Yahoo News
http://news.yahoo.com/ferguson-police-chief-apologizes-over-black-teens-shooting-175705040.html

The Ferguson case is not isolated and the matter does not end there on removal of the policeman. After Ferguson, there were several similar cases involving racial brutality in NYC, St Louis and LA.

The whole fiasco reflected a deep-rooted bigotry underlying in a democratic country which prides itself on democracy since your founding father established it.

What the most horrifying is, when viewing from the points of foreigners, your country has been, by overt or covert actions, by active propaganda or through the most barbaric manner, trying to change the way of governance of another sovereignty country or to overthrow the foreign government by brute force once and for all. In order to achieve your selfish aims, you have created a terrifying legacy of human sufferings and bloodbath in the name of democracy.:frown::bad:

If this is not a plain conduct of global terrorism and dictationship, what is? :dirol:

Also, I have pointed out to you that there are many democracies that have failed their people.:tdown::angry:

I never said Democracy is God, but it is the only system present that helps protect the people in such within the rules of law and limits the power of government officials. Changes takes time. I am not trying to advocate democracy. I am just defending it. Government officials are not born with the abilities to read our minds. How would they know what we need without asking us or by us telling them? Changes don't happen immediately with protest. It take months or years. There is a process that takes place.

You are advocating democracy. Democracy is not the only system which "helps protect the people in such within the rules of law and limits the power of government officials." A benevolent government, in whatever kind of system, will do the job just as good or better like some emperors in our ancient dynasties.

I am all along saying the change for a politcal system takes time and should be gradual and not be drastic. Thank goodness it seems you are convinced at last. ;)

So anyone who supports the "HK students in protests" is wrong because these bunch of "student-turned-criminals" want an immediate change in the system to democracy by one-man-one-vote for the election of HK's CE at all costs which include using road blockades, creating mayhems and causing great disruption of social livelihoods. :tdown::nono:

See more photos here for yourselves
Hong Kong: Tear gas and clashes at democracy protest

Please read factor effecting democracy in India in the link provided below. I am not that good with India's politics.
Democracy in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India is a miserable "democracy" in tatters :o:8-) No one wants to copy that.

Thank you for you reply.:cheesy:

For a developing country, multi party democracy system is a hindrence.
The road to development is already well proven.

1. One party authoritarian government to ensure political stability
2. Mass manufacturing to absorb the poor masses
3. Low currency to drive export
4. Infrastructure building to facilitate manufacturing and export

Economies that did that.
Hong Kong
Taiwan
South Korea
Singapore
Malaysia
China

The biggest problem for a developing country in pursuing "Point 1. One party authoritarian government to ensure political stability" is the brutal enforcement of what so called "democratic" values on the government which kills the process of development before the country reaches political maturity for a multi-party system

But the paramount factor is if your country wants stability and prosperity and you dont have a strong defense system, you need to wholesomely adopt western values and comply to their directives. Otherwise sooner or later you will be in trouble :coffee:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
Bearded Hong Kong protester tortured by officers in dark corner
Bearded Hong Kong protester tortured by officers in dark corner.jpg

Last edited:
Occupy Central mirrors geopolitical shift
By Ding Gang

Shenzhen and Hong Kong are separated by a single narrow river. My first visit to Hong Kong was four years ago. Back then I took an 80 yuan ($13) shuttle bus from Shenzhen Airport and arrived in central Hong Kong two hours later, right at the place where the ongoing Occupy Central movement is underway.

I remember walking through the district, looking around street corners, and seeing in the stores many tourists from the Chinese mainland, just like me.

How many of us can still remember hearing of vast numbers of mainlanders risking their lives to flee to Hong Kong just a few decades ago?

The Beijing-based Global People magazine interviewed Chen Bing'an, author of The Great Exodus, in its early September edition. Chen estimated that a total of more than 1 million people fled to Hong Kong after 1949.

He also cited other statistics: In 1978 the annual per capital income of farmers in Shenzhen was only 134 yuan ($21.8), while farmers living in Hong Kong's New Territories could earn as high as HK$13,000 ($1675.7).

But that was exactly the year of transformation. The Third Plenary Session of the 11th CPC Central Committee was convened in December 1978.

Three decades later, UK scholar Martin Jacques wrote "And - with a little historical license - we should regard 1978 more properly as marking the beginning of the 21st century, the event that ushered in a new epoch, though barely anyone could possibly have realized it at the time" in an opinion piece published in the Guardian in May 2006. A radical change rarely seen during the past 500 years kicked off in 1978.

This is the historical background for the story of today's Hong Kong. Hong Kong is no longer a showcase, a banner, or a fortress, but rather has become a Chinese city at a similar level with Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou or Chongqing.

Before 1997, the strategic position of Hong Kong was decided by its identity as a British colony and by the Cold War architecture. The Cold War also turned the city into a fortress. This position started to change with China's reform and opening-up policy.

However, it should be noted that Cold War geopolitics wrought differences not only in systems, but also in people's mentality, understanding of history and views of democracy.

The Occupy Central movement reflects Hongkongers' identity crisis and mental maladjustment, both brought about by geopolitical changes. That can also explain why Hong Kong has long been mired in the center of geopolitical controversy.

Nowadays, Chinese investors are looking around Asia and around the world for their next opportunity. Chinese tourists can also be found everywhere. They bring not merely money, but also their perspectives of the current global political and economic orders. Their outlook of global order derived from an oriental culture distinct from Western traditions.

When news of Occupy Central first broke, one of my colleagues was interviewing a businessman from Central China's Hunan Province on a 3,800-meter-high plateau in Bolivia.

She told me that the Chinese firm had given the poverty-stricken village in the Andes Mountains an unprecedented opportunity for development. Now villagers there have smart phones.

Sharing China's development dividend has become a pervasive phenomenon in Asia. The 2008 global financial crisis shook the foundation of global public trust in the US and Europe. Meanwhile, Asia has seen accelerated geopolitical changes, and China's image has become increasingly positive. This partly explains why some in the US and the UK are so excited about the Occupy Central movement in Hong Kong.

In the past, the rise of great powers determined the direction of geopolitical order. Occupy Central reminds us that the formation of a new geopolitical order requires not just the rebalancing of regional power structures, but also the restructuring of intellectual identities. The later may takes longer time.

Nevertheless, a re-configuration of the Asian order is now inevitable, although economic integration within the region has yet to be reflected at the level of political coordination.

The influence of the old order will fade away on the historical stage, a trend that Hong Kong can in no way change.

The author is a senior editor with People's Daily. He is now stationed in Brazil. dinggang@globaltimes.com.cn. Follow him on Twitter at @dinggangchina

@Edison Chen , @tranquilium , @Chinese-Dragon , @FairAndUnbiased , @terranMarine

The author has lost sight of many things:

1. the national images of the West and America are still more dominant than that of China - albeit improving, in the world as a whole
2. Hongkongers want to distinguish themselves from the rest of Chinese cities and in the worst case scenario which is prevalent amongst the pan-democratic extremists, this camp wants to sever the linkage with China - at least politcally. Similar in line with the green camp of Taiwan, they want independence.
3. The author claims
" Nowadays, Chinese investors are looking around Asia and around the world for their next opportunity. Chinese tourists can also be found everywhere. They bring not merely money, but also their perspectives of the current global political and economic orders. Their outlook of global order derived from an oriental culture distinct from Western traditions."
I am a bit pessimistic over that statement. I suspect the receivers of our "money" are all happy with "getting the money" and nothing more than that, at least for now. It will take a much longer time for our culture to take roots overseas if at all.

In all honesty, I dont think it is a well balanced article and rather it is written with a good deal of nacissism
For a person of his position, I am disappointed on the substance of the content. Sorry! :fie: :coffee:

This reminds me of the East Sea. China has been illegally occupying the East Sea. The should clear out so that fishermen may return to their work. :buba_phone:
Going back to sleep.:sleep:

It wont change our sovereinty over the area.
Good night! :china::coffee:

Back
Top Bottom