What's new

China HKSAR Police Special Duties Unit

I see, so roles of CTRU is quite different from SDU. I also notice in the pics CTRU uses MP-5 like PTU or ASU, but SDU uses different weapons (in pic below), why is that? How about the SDU Water Team (nickname "水鬼队")? Hardly find any pic on the web to see what equipment they are using.

zMWsQOb.jpg

Not sure what you mean....

Do you mean why other Police unit (such as ASU, CTRU and PTU) does not use certain type of Firearms (like AR or Sniper Rifle)? Or do you mean those unit does not use the specific firearms (such as G36K or SIG516 in the picture you posted)

Other unit do use Assault Rifle, I remember a police friend of mine told me there were a M-16 (AR-15) on every PTU van, and they do uses assault rifle from time to time and shown in Training.

9e3c5087e77a8760-400x264.jpg

13167398_606346456188866_1755524061_n.jpg

Above : PTU and ASU pose with AR-15 (M4 Rifle)

The thing is, police regulation require Assault Rifle only to be used to engage far away target, which is less than 400 meters, and being a police force, normally you don't shoot people that far, AR-15 was mainly used with rubber bullet or to fire CS grenade when they are equipped with a grenade launcher, hence they are not really popular amongst normal policing unit.

Another reason probably is training require to qualify for AR type weapon.

On the other hand, sniper rifle are almost exclusively used by SDU as there are no other charter would allow a person or suspect to be killed with stand alone range. Hence not a normal police duty to carry or use a sniper rifle.

But if your question is about why these unit does not use specific weapon. Like why SDU uses SIG516 but not PTU (CTRU also uses SIG 516). That I cannot tell you. Maybe because they belong to different department? Or they just don't, I can ask some of my friend in the HKP, but I doubt they also have answer for it.

SDU Water Team or formally known as Marine Counter Terrorist Team was disbanded a long time ago, (I think before I left Hong Kong) because the normal SDU assault team had already had BUD training.

There used to be a few good fan site for airsoft wargaming and SDU fans that show and discuss SDU equipment on the internet, but most of them were gone. There were tons of photo about how SDU equipped in those site. But I can't seems to find any of them still around on the internet.

SDU is probably the most well trained and professional city level police tactical team in China. Only SWAT teams in Beijing and Shanghai are somewhat comparable in terms of equipment and training. The biggest problem I see with police SWAT units in China is the lack of a unified national standard. Some SWAT teams from smaller cities are essentially jokes, while you have more professional units in larger cities.

I think they should establish a national training unit similar to French RAID where all SWAT officers need to undergo training from the Ministry of Public Security. Equipment should be made standard across the board as well as training and selection. If a local municipality wants to establish a SWAT team, they should send their cops for training lasting at least 4 months.

There used to be a few good fan site for airsoft wargaming and SDU fans that show and discuss SDU equipment on the internet, but most of them were gone. There were tons of photo about how SDU equipped in those site. But I can't seems to find any of them still around on the internet.
Neither do I can find any, yes if you have any interesting pics, info or links, please feel free to share here.
Only SWAT teams in Beijing and Shanghai are somewhat comparable in terms of equipment and training.
Equipment should be made standard across the board as well as training and selection. If a local municipality wants to establish a SWAT team, they should send their cops for training lasting at least 4 months.
True, police departments in many T3 cities (or even smaller ones) don't have proper SWAT teams, they are not ready yet. For the time being, better organized, trained and equipped PAP (武警) stationed across the country are doing those heavy duties like CT, security for high risk compounds.

Back
Top Bottom