What's new

China Has Unveiled a New Laser System to Shoot Down Drones

You're right, but also not right. The HEL MD's test laser is only 10kW, for proof of concept and testing in battlefield conditions, but the production model will be 50-60kW. Do you have a link to the other article describing a turret mount for the Chinese laser, I'm very interested in it. Also, as for the size debate, neither you nor I know how big the HEL MD's laser system is (there could be a lot of free space in the back of the truck), and remember it doesn't need to be towed, it's self propelling. Saying one is smaller than the other is a but disingenuous when we don't actually know the size of one of the competitors.

"The HEL MD used (the operative word) a 10-kilowatt laser—a much less powerful version of what it will eventually fire—to “successfully engage” more than 150 targets at Eglin Air Force Base, a Department of Defense weapons testing facility on the Florida Panhandle."

"The next step for the laser cannon will be to up the power to 50 or 60 kilowatts, a “tactically significant power level” for use against incoming rockets, artillery and mortar strikes, and UAV drones."

The quotes are from Army's New Laser Cannon Blasts Drones Out of the Sky, Even in Fog | WIRED

If its mountable on a Humvee, then even with a towed generator, it will be significantly smaller than the HEL MD. And yes, the HEL MD will need alot of empty room in the back of the truck to accommodate for the upgrade from 10kW to 50-60kW. Also remember this is a civilian version developed by Chinese academy, not a military grade weapon developed for the PLA. So its really comparing apple with orange here.

China's New Laser Zaps Drones | Popular Science

Here is a photo, recent days China official released past lazer weapon test.

A burnt ICBM warhead by unknown high-power lazer weapon system, now China didn't show any high-power lazer system yet only that low-power lazer system and a burnt ICBM test photo ... ... maybe years later when China high-power lazer weapon system mature, Top Secret will be released to the public.

View attachment 145312

Thank you very much for the photo. I'll look into the veracity and accuracy of the claims, I'm not going to take claims or a photo as definitive proof of anything, but seeing as how the US has also tested lasers against ballistic missiles I would be willing to give the Chinese military more benefit than doubt. It could take me some time, I'm not fluent in any Chinese dialect, but I will try to come up with an assessment after further studies of the pictures and claims.

Also, and more reason for me to believe the claim the Chines military, the US also tested such a system in the 90s, and if we did it I would believe that Russia, China and other similarly armed and advanced nations could and have done so as well.

A final question though. Does anyone know the perimeters of the laser test? If tested against a ballistic missile, was the missile armed, or was it a static test to see if a laser could burn through the nose-cap of a ballistic missile. This nose cap seems too small to be an ICBM, similar in size to tactical ballistic missiles such as the US ATACMS, and does not bear any signs of damage from a warhead detonation. Do you have any additional information or pictures/links to determine the perimeters of the test?

This is the nose-cap for a US Minuteman 3, it's much bigger than the one in the picture of the Chinese test.
IMG_0535.jpg

Last edited:
@cnleio you are very reliable when it comes to Chinese military pictures, do you happen to have one of a Chinese military laser (not this police laser), or a truck mounted laser (similar to the US HEL MD)? I can't find one, but perhaps you could. Thank you.
Right now no any high-power lazer weapon out in China, Chinese r working for low-power lazer weapon now.

If its mountable on a Humvee, then even with a towed generator, it will be significantly smaller than the HEL MD. And yes, the HEL MD will need alot of empty room in the back of the truck to accommodate for the upgrade from 10kW to 50-60kW. Also remember this is a civilian version developed by Chinese academy, not a military grade weapon developed for the PLA. So its really comparing apple with orange here.

China's New Laser Zaps Drones | Popular Science

I know that it's a police system and thus doesn't need too much power, but for a 10kW laser, its specs seem underwhelming, though I suspect that the reported specs aren't the actual capabilities. Also I never intended to compare either system, the conversations seems to have devolved into such however, I merely presented the HEL MD as a comparison to refute the claim in the OP that China has overtaken the US in world tech. Sorry for the confusion.

Right now no any high-power lazer weapon out in China, Chinese r working for low-power lazer weapon now.

Didn't think there would be any pictures. I'm disappointed, but not shocked seeing as how the Chinese military is even more draconian with its secrecy then we are... and we take that seriously. Perhaps in a few years some pics will be available, but for now I will simply have to marvel at the claims and China's rapid advancement instead.

Didn't think there would be any pictures. I'm disappointed, but not shocked seeing as how the Chinese military is even more draconian with its secrecy then we are... and we take that seriously. Perhaps in a few years some pics will be available, but for now I will simply have to marvel at the claims and China's rapid advancement instead.
Of course, there'r dozens of China lazer system pics on internet ... but i believe most r low-power lazer system and lazer labs
Anyway Chinese R&D lazer systems and try to develop high-power lazer weapons, answer is YES !

It's a time problem for China to develop mature high-power lazer weapon system, now we had done low-power lazer system here ... next high-power development. :coffee:

546Ygqc.jpg

1343109628121.jpg

1343109725684.jpg

1343109811974.jpg

lazer1.jpg

lazer2.jpg

lazer3.jpg

lazer4.jpg

ujw8s8d4j.jpg

lazer5.jpg

Of course, there'r dozens of China lazer system pics on internet ... but i believe most r low-power lazer system and lazer labs
Anyway Chinese R&D lazer systems and try to develop high-power lazer weapons, YES !
It's just time problem for China to develop mature high-power lazer weapon system, now we had done low-power lazer system here ... next high-power development. :coffee:

View attachment 145343
View attachment 145344
View attachment 145345
View attachment 145346
View attachment 145347
View attachment 145348
View attachment 145349
View attachment 145350
View attachment 145352
View attachment 145351

Thank you very much for these. Very awesome!!! :china:

Anti-drone weapon passes its shooting test
2014-11-04

Laser system can find and downunmanned aircraft at low altitudes

China has successfully tested a nationally developed laser defense system that targets low-flying small drones.

The Low Altitude Sentinel system can shoot down small aircraft within a 2-km radius within five seconds of detecting its target, according to a statement from the China Academy of Engineering Physics, one of the system's co-developers.

Characterized by its speed, precision and low noise, the system is designed to destroy small unmanned drones flying within an altitude of 500 meters and at a speed below 180 km/h, the academy said.

Wu Peixin, an aviation industry observer in Beijing, said the system was developed at the right time as the Chinese military had been looking for a weapon to close the defense gaps in the detection and destruction of small drones.

"It is difficult for the radar of Chinese and foreign militaries to track drones flying slowly at low altitude," he said. "The photoelectric laser apparatus can complement radar."

No foreign military has weapons that can effectively detect and defend small, low-altitude drones, so the Low Altitude Sentinel will be a major achievement in the nation's efforts to strengthen its air defense, Wu added.

Yi Jinsong, a manager at China Jiuyuan Hi-Tech Equipment Corp, a group under the academy spearheading the project, lauded the advantages of the new system. "Intercepting small drones has usually been the work of snipers and helicopters, but their success rate is not as high, and mistakes with accuracy can result in unwanted damage," he said.

Yi said that such drones are relatively cheap and easy to use, which makes them a weapon of choice for both battlefield enemies and terrorists.

The Low Altitude Sentinel system, which will either be installed or transported in vehicles, is expected to play a key role in ensuring security during major events in urban areas, the academy said, adding that a recent test saw the machine successfully shoot down more than 30 drones - a 100 percent success rate.

The academy said that its researchers are developing similar laser systems with greater power and range.

Wu suggested that such systems combine lightweight anti-air missiles and quick-firing guns, and the carrying vehicle must have good mobility so the whole system can respond promptly to incoming targets.

Because unmanned combat aerial vehicles have been widely used in field operations, militaries around the world have been striving to find ways to defend against drones, especially those flying at low altitude and low speed.

The Republic of Korea has decided to buy 10 Israeli-made RPS-42 Tactical Air Surveillance Radar Systems to help detect and intercept drones from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, which has reportedly used unmanned aircraft in several reconnaissance operations over the ROK, according to the Yonhap News Agency.

The US army is also working with defense technology companies on the development of an affordable Counter Unmanned Aerial System, earlier reports said.

China needs to start its own UFO rumor mill, so any claims by wandering eyes can be dismissed as UFOs.

Actually I think their policy of not saying anything is a good one to keep. Rather than discredit any rumors, they let people speculate, convince themselves and spread false information.

I always wonder if in the future, solid-state lasers and electrolasers would be available to and for infantry usage as laser developments are being hastened due to US, China and other countries with weapons development program are looking at laser weapons

Last edited:
China is stepping on the right direction in modern warfare, we should alway go to to uncharted territory to find new technology or develop our defense system from existing sophisticated technology by ourself instead of waiting for others to TOT.

Even if our system is not comparable by western standard but at least we have master the basic of military laser and give the chance for our next generation engineers to make further improvement.

@SvenSvensonov

I have some good pics from internet to share here, about China unknown high-power lazer weapon system (maybe prototype). No more details & no more ask coz i also have no idea about China lazer project, pics for reference. :-)

China unknown high-power lazer weapon project (news ever reported something), as big as U.S Navy FEL. 8-)
160005A12-3.jpg

54655408.jpg

1088180.jpg

c6c22eb6f.jpg

China lazer was burning through a steel plate :D
952342,3611897426.jpg

Last edited:
China would be never worry about drones access.

Back
Top Bottom