asena_great

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
rise of dragon and fall of eagle

4b5e0cef98cd63617461d2e5a5b59024._.jpg
fe8a512f3758bf70c5fe0f2cb630ec79._.jpg

China's has unveiled a new laser system to shoot down small, low-flying drones. On Sunday, scientists at the China Academy of Engineering Physics announced they had perfected a laser that shot down drones flying up to 110 miles per hour at altitudes of as high as 1,600 feet as far as 1.2 miles away, according to the state-owned Xinhua news agency.

"Intercepting such drones is usually the work of snipers and helicopters, but their success rate is not as high," said the project's leader, Yi Jinsong, in the Xinhua article.

Mounted on a vehicle, Jinsong added, the system could stop terrorists from using drones against large crowds at sporting competitions, political conferences, and other events.

Of course, the system could also be used against US military drones, who employs the world's largest fleet of drones. Or sold to countries like Pakistan where many people are outraged by US drone activity in their skies.

China's system isn't the first to envision shooting down drones, said Cornell University Government Professor Sarah Kreps. But the Chinese system demonstrates how other countries are growing more sophisticated in anticipating drone threats that we've pioneered.

"Every new technology eventually faces the 'measure-countermeasure' problem," Kreps told VICE News. "It's just natural that countries would find ways to defang the capabilities of armed drones. We've seen this coming."

A few years ago, Air Force brass noted that some "drones are useless in contested airspace," said Kreps, meaning they're no match for enemy fighter planes. But the technology has advanced quickly and more governments — including China, India, Turkey and Pakistan — are developing drone and anti-drone programs.

"The technology has become lighter and smaller, creating a different set of vulnerabilities for typical air defense systems — hence the need for this kind of system that can counter smaller-scale drones that could actually be more insidious," she said.

Since 2008, the United States has conducted more than 1,700 drone strikes in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan and elsewhere, as Kreps explained in a recent Foreign Affairs article. The US has killed more than 450 people with drones, according to Kreps.

The United Kingdom has deployed drones in Afghanistan. Israel has flown drones in Palestine. Israel also shot down a drone operated by the Palestinian militant group Hamas during the Gaza Strip conflict earlier this year.

The proliferation of drones has led Kreps to question if they make warfare too easy because they don't expose pilots to danger. She and others have argued that President Barack Obama and his predecessor, George W. Bush, have routinely authorized drone attacks in airspace where they would be reluctant to send manned warplanes.

Now, China is facing similar questions as it beefs up its drone arsenal.

China and Japan have rattled sabers over Chinese drones that were flying over islands claimed by bother countries in the East China Sea. Upping the stakes, Japan last year publicly adopted a policy to shoot down drones if they ignored warnings to leave Japanese air space. That's a looser standard than for manned aircraft, which become targets only if they pose a threat to Japanese nationals. China, meanwhile, has said it would consider an attack on a drone as an act of war.

The anti-drone laser defense system is an example of China flexing its muscles at a time of rising tensions in the Pacific region, Kreps said. But it would be a shame if it emboldened Chinese leaders to go to war and jeopardize millions of lives just because Japan blew up a high-tech remote-controlled aircraft.

9281d91d41be7a9fc567946d6c771c40.jpg

ok as u read in article china is turn out to be a badass is it possible they introduced new warfare to us i mean is it possible they also change the rifles to las guns and arm the jets with las cannon how these things works how much knowledge china has ?? does today china leading the world's tech ??

ok as u read in article china is turn out to be a badass is it possible they introduced new warfare to us i mean is it possible they also change the rifles to las guns and arm the jets with las cannon how these things works how much knowledge china has ?? does today china leading the world's tech ??

Congratulations to China!

Pew! Pew! Pew! :D

===============================

Let's wait till we find out more about this miraculous new weapon being claimed.

The answer to the question posed is still no. Anti-drone lasers are not unique to China, the US has a similar system that is truck mounted called the HEL MD, and newer and more powerful battlefield systems are in development and testing with operational status for some being expected in 2015-16. China is making progress, but let's hold off on the "Leading the world's tech" for now as the US still has the lead.

One of these pictures is the US HEL MD, the other is China's anti-drone laser.
hel-md-laser.jpg

chinese-low-altitude-laser-anti-aircraft-weapon1.jpg

China's anti-drone laser is big, less mobile and less powerful than the HEL MD's laser. However, China is also developing smaller and more powerful battlefield lasers and this anti-drone one is for police use, not military use.

@cnleio you are very reliable when it comes to Chinese military pictures, do you happen to have one of a Chinese military laser (not this police laser), or a truck mounted laser (similar to the US HEL MD)? I can't find one, but perhaps you could. Thank you.

Last edited:
"cheerleaders" have started cheering ...:) BTW it is a great achievement for China,along with its "supersonic submarine".Really, USA should feel threatened.Congrats China !

China's anti-drone laser is big, less mobile and less powerful than the HEL MD's laser. However, China is also developing smaller and more powerful battlefield lasers and this anti-drone one is for police use, not military use.

Both lasers are 10kW, and the Chinese version seems to be smaller in size. Another article describe the turret can be mounted on a Humvee, my guess with the generator in tow.

Both lasers are 10kW, and the Chinese version seems to be smaller in size. Another article describe the turret can be mounted on a Humvee, my guess with the generator in tow.

You're right, but also not right. The HEL MD's test laser is only 10kW, for proof of concept and testing in battlefield conditions, but the production model will be 50-60kW. Do you have a link to the other article describing a turret mount for the Chinese laser, I'm very interested in it. Also, as for the size debate, neither you nor I know how big the HEL MD's laser system is (there could be a lot of free space in the back of the truck), and remember it doesn't need to be towed, it's self propelling. Saying one is smaller than the other is a bit disingenuous when we don't actually know the size of one of the competitors.

"The HEL MD used (the operative word) a 10-kilowatt laser—a much less powerful version of what it will eventually fire—to “successfully engage” more than 150 targets at Eglin Air Force Base, a Department of Defense weapons testing facility on the Florida Panhandle."

"The next step for the laser cannon will be to up the power to 50 or 60 kilowatts, a “tactically significant power level” for use against incoming rockets, artillery and mortar strikes, and UAV drones."

The quotes are from Army's New Laser Cannon Blasts Drones Out of the Sky, Even in Fog | WIRED

Last edited:
You're right, but also not right. The HEL MD's test laser is only 10kW, for proof of concept and testing in battlefield conditions, but the production model will be 50-60kW. Do you have a link to the other article describing a turret mount for the Chinese laser, I'm very interested in it.

"The HEL MD used (the operative word) a 10-kilowatt laser—a much less powerful version of what it will eventually fire—to “successfully engage” more than 150 targets at Eglin Air Force Base, a Department of Defense weapons testing facility on the Florida Panhandle."

"The next step for the laser cannon will be to up the power to 50 or 60 kilowatts, a “tactically significant power level” for use against incoming rockets, artillery and mortar strikes, and UAV drones."

The quotes are from Army's New Laser Cannon Blasts Drones Out of the Sky, Even in Fog | WIRED

My question, buddy, is this. Can these lasers negate the missiles fired at it via the UAVs?

@SvenSvensonov , it takes 5 minutes to calibrate to a UAV target, but within that 5 minutes time, a salvo of missiles would have already been fired at the object.

Bonvoyage. lol.

My question, buddy, is this. Can these lasers negate the missiles fired at it via the UAVs?

It does say that the system will be used for counter-battery fire. Rockets and missiles differ only in their propulsion and guidance systems. I would guess, but don't have any information to say with accuracy, that the HEL MD can engage missiles too. I'll try to dig up some actual evidence.

As for calibration, it also takes time to calibrate for a mortar type target, but once calibration is done the system can knock out hundreds of mortar shells in minutes, calibration only needs to happen once and can be done off-sight as well.

It's just a low-power lazer system, if wanna hit down aircraft or missile it need high-power lazer.

U can see it's the prototype of China lazer weapon development, this case just say China was developing lazer weapon too.

It's just a low-power lazer system, if wanna hit down aircraft or missile it need high-power lazer.

U can see it's the prototype of China lazer weapon development, this case just say China was developing lazer weapon too.

This system is for police use right? Against "drones" and I use that term loosely, that are more akin to quadcopters. Is this correct? Based on the specifications provided about range, target speed and target size I would suggest that it is.

Based on the specs, this type of target is way beyond the capabilities of this paticular laser, though I know China has more than one in development.
_PredC-2.jpg

These types of "drones" fit the description better. And if this is a police laser, than defense of airports or other sensitive targets from prying eyes would be a good use of it against such "drones".

CycloneCloseup1.JPG

Last edited:
This system is for police use right? Against "drones" and I use that term loosely, that are more akin to quadcopters. Is this correct? Based on the specifications provided about range, target speed and target size I would suggest that it is.

Based on the specs, this type of target is way beyond the capabilities of this paticular laser, though I know China has more than one in development.
View attachment 145296

These types of "drones" fit the description better. And if this is a police laser, than defense of airports or other sensitive targets from prying eyes would be a good use of it against such "drones".

View attachment 145297
Here is a photo, recent days China official released past lazer weapon test.

A burnt ICBM warhead by unknown high-power lazer weapon system, now China didn't show any high-power lazer system yet only that low-power lazer system and a burnt ICBM test photo ... ... maybe years later when China high-power lazer weapon system mature, Top Secret will be released to the public.

113840gkthtzzd6jj9y6jt.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom