What's new

CHINA GDP Per capita estimated in 2018 :$10,087

Shenzhen's population is severely underestimated. The actual population is more than 20m but official statistics put it at 12m.

https://m.sohu.com/a/216317189_611316/?pvid=000115_3w_a

Highly unlikely that Shenzhen's GDP per capita is so much higher than Beijing/Shanghai when average wage is lower.
Considering it is where huawei,tencent,ZTE,DJI drone located,I am not surprised if the GDP per capita reach even 30000 USD.

Last edited:
Shenzhen's population is severely underestimated. The actual population is more than 20m but official statistics put it at 12m.

https://m.sohu.com/a/216317189_611316/?pvid=000115_3w_a

Highly unlikely that Shenzhen's GDP per capita is so much higher than Beijing/Shanghai when average wage is lower.

Not necessarily. Presence of multiple tech companies and a small ultra rich may distort the average figure.

A better way to measure these things is to use the median income.

So, does anyone know what is the median income in these cities?

Shenzhen resident people are not underestimated, and those who travel to Shenzhen for only half a month and one month or two months and three months can not be counted as permanent residents of Shenzhen;

At present, the population of Shenzhen continues to grow. I estimate that it should be around 14 million. In 2017, the resident population of Beijing was 21.710 million, a decrease of 22,000 from the end of the previous yea(of which the household registered population of Beijing city was 13.592 million, a decrease of 37,000 from the end of the previous year, a decrease of 3%).

One city GDP has no meaning,the average GDP per capita does!

Last edited:
Shenzhen resident people are not underestimated, and those who travel to Shenzhen for only half a month and one month or two months and three months can not be counted as permanent residents of Shenzhen;

At present, the population of Shenzhen continues to grow. I estimate that it should be around 14 million. In 2017, the resident population of Beijing was 21.710 million, a decrease of 22,000 from the end of the previous year. The household registered population of Beijing city was 13.592 million, a decrease of 37,000 from the end of the previous year, a decrease of 3%.

Non-resident population has to be included and divided to arrive the GDP per capita because they worked and contributed to GDP. In Singapore our resident population is only 4m, but we divide our GDP with our total population of 5.6m. Shanghai and Beijing include migrant workers to divide too.

公开的统计数据显示,深圳在2015年有常住人口1137.87万,其中户籍人口354.99万。深圳是中国一线城市之一,从城区人口数量的排名,依次为北上广深,深圳常住人口位列全国第四名,恰好与一线城市的排名一致。

然而深圳的常住人口统计数据可能并不可靠。今年3月21日开始,深圳市开展新一轮的“禁摩限电”整治,在4月5日的新闻通气会上,深圳交警总结到,交通乱象不治理,将会影响居住生活在深圳的2000万居民的舒适、安全出行。这里提到的深圳居民人数高达2000万人,远远超过深圳公布的常住人口数据。11月10日的《南方都市报》报道,截至2015年,深圳实际管理人口已突破2000万。

就业人口与常住人口的比值不合理

2015年,深圳有1137.87万常住人口,其中15-64岁人口为946.99万人(2015年1%人口抽样调查),共有906.14万就业人员,就业人员占常住人口的79.6%,占劳动年龄人口的95.7%。劳动年龄人口几乎全都是从业人员,这似乎不太可能,深圳的就业人口规模与常住人口明显不相称。

《深圳统计年鉴2015》中居民家庭生活基本情况显示,2014年户均人口2.2人,其中只有1.4人是就业人员。按此计算,深圳现有的常住人口对应着724万就业人员(户均人口统计口径在2014年进行调整,如果按2013年口径计算,只有599万),而906.14万就业人员对应的是1424万常住人口(按2013年口径计算,是1721万)。

看一下上海的情况,2014年,上海有2425万常住人口,就业人员为1365.63万,按每就业人员负担1.83个人数计算,现有常住人口对应的就业人员为1325.1万,现有就业人员对应的常住人口为2499万人,数字基本吻合。由此可见,深圳的就业人员和常住人口数值明显异常,要么就业人员高估,要么常住人口被低估。

Presence of multiple tech companies and a small ultra rich may distort the average figure.

I remember reading before that it's not easy to skew statistics for population beyond 500K, and that's why many rankings use that number as a minimum cut-off point for countries.

A small group of rich people won't distort GDP figures for a city of 20m people. Wealth figures maybe, but not GDP figures. Because they don't spend all of their wealth in a single year in the same city.

Wealth5-4ac5.png

Look at Hong Kong. It has more than half as much UHNW of mainland China and more than UK/Italy/India/Russia/Brazil/SKorea in a population of 7m.

Yet HK's GDP per capita is 'only' $46K, around the same as Finland/Canada/Austria.

A better way to measure these things is to use the median income.

So, does anyone know what is the median income in these cities?

Yeah, median income usually reflect the ground more accurately.

I found only average though:

Screen-Shot-2016-01-14-at-11.38.10-am.jpg

Found another website in Chinese. Even though they wrote average, from the presentation of the statistic and disparity from other sources' average I think it's median.

Beijing: http://salarycalculator.sinaapp.com/report/北京
Shenzhen: http://salarycalculator.sinaapp.com/report/深圳

Therefore it's unlikely that Shenzhen's GDP per capita is so much higher than Beijing when all sources point towards lower average/median income.

At present, the population of Shenzhen continues to grow. I estimate that it should be around 14 million. In 2017, the resident population of Beijing was 21.710 million, a decrease of 22,000 from the end of the previous year. The household registered population of Beijing city was 13.592 million, a decrease of 37,000 from the end of the previous year, a decrease of 3%.

A polite reminder. That member is a foreigner, that is, non-Singaporean. You won't find him on any military related thread despite the fact that in Singapore conscription is mandatory. On the latest issue or spat between Malaysia and Singapore, he is missing too.

But he is present on thread related to GDP and economics.

Just a polite reminder.

Yes, China's progress is a milestone for developing countries worldwide. We have a lot of Chinese citizens in Singapore, a lot of them have been very successful in their lives. Like it or not, China is going to be a big power. There may be political differences. That aside, China is truly the world's factory. Impressive!

If I understand correctly, by the end of 2018, China would have surpassed Turkey in GDP per capita. Am I right @ Adam WANG SHANGHAI MEGA?

And maybe surpass Malaysia by 2020?

That is quite an achievement for a country as big as China!

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/NGDPDPC@WEO/OEMDC/ADVEC/WEOWORLD

Lmao. A new poster registered a few months ago claiming that I'm a false-flagger.

Lmao. A new poster registered a few months ago claiming that I'm a false-flagger.
your doubt on Shenzhen GDP per capita is baseless.
MY City Wuxi, Jiangsu Province, CHINA.

The resident population of Wuxi is 6.553 million (in 2017, of which the household registered population of Wuxi was 4,390,500), and the regional GDP of Wuxi in 2017 was 1,051.18 billion yuan (2017). What is your GDP per capita?
1,051.18 billion / 6.553 =160 400 yuan (2017) around USD 23257.1627.
Since Chinese local governments need to pay 70% of the tax to the Chinese central government, many wealthy local governments do not exaggerate GDP, but will conceal GDP.

2)You know that a monthly income of $2,500 in the central United States is a high salary. Do you know this? Yet the GDP per capita of US is around 59500 USD.

Non-resident population has to be included and divided to arrive the GDP per capita because they worked and contributed to GDP. In Singapore our resident population is only 4m, but we divide our GDP with our total population of 5.6m. Shanghai and Beijing include migrant workers to divide too.

I remember reading before that it's not easy to skew statistics for population beyond 500K, and that's why many rankings use that number as a minimum cut-off point for countries.

A small group of rich people won't distort GDP figures for a city of 20m people. Wealth figures maybe, but not GDP figures. Because they don't spend all of their wealth in a single year in the same city.

Wealth5-4ac5.png

Look at Hong Kong. It has more than half as much UHNW of mainland China and more than UK/Italy/India/Russia/Brazil/SKorea in a population of 7m.

Yet HK's GDP per capita is 'only' $46K, around the same as Finland/Canada/Austria.

Yeah, median income usually reflect the ground more accurately.

I found only average though:

Screen-Shot-2016-01-14-at-11.38.10-am.jpg

Found another website in Chinese. Even though they wrote average, from the presentation of the statistic and disparity from other sources' average I think it's median.

Beijing: http://salarycalculator.sinaapp.com/report/北京
Shenzhen: http://salarycalculator.sinaapp.com/report/深圳

Therefore it's unlikely that Shenzhen's GDP per capita is so much higher than Beijing when all sources point towards lower average/median income.
You misunderstood, my friend, Shenzhen has a registered household population of only 3 million. Shenzhen uses the permanent resident population(who live in Shenzhen for half a year and above) to calculate the per capita GDP. Same as Beijing and Shanghai.

If using the household registration population of Shenzhen only, the per capita GDP of Shenzhen is 110,000 US dollars.However, this is meaningless.
(By the end of 2016, the total number of permanent residents in Shanghai was 24.197 million. Among them, the registered population of Shanghai household registration is only 14.39 million,Shanghai used the total population of 24.197 million to calculate GDP per capita, Same as Shenzhen,Shenzhen has little household registration population of only 3 millions coz she is a very new city,30 year ago there is no city called Shenzhen only a small county called Bao An宝安县.)

Shenzhen: GDP of 2 243.839 billion yuan (2017)
Total population: 12.528 million people (all permanent residents in 2017)

Is the foreigner or national of a short-term tourist in Singapore for one month included in Singapore's national GDP calculation?

A polite reminder. That member is a foreigner, that is, non-Singaporean. You won't find him on any military related thread despite the fact that in Singapore conscription is mandatory. On the latest issue or spat between Malaysia and Singapore, he is missing too.

But he is present on thread related to GDP and economics.

Just a polite reminder.

Yes, China's progress is a milestone for developing countries worldwide. We have a lot of Chinese citizens in Singapore, a lot of them have been very successful in their lives. Like it or not, China is going to be a big power. There may be political differences. That aside, China is truly the world's factory. Impressive!

If I understand correctly, by the end of 2018, China would have surpassed Turkey in GDP per capita. Am I right @ Adam WANG SHANGHAI MEGA?

And maybe surpass Malaysia by 2020?

That is quite an achievement for a country as big as China!

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/NGDPDPC@WEO/OEMDC/ADVEC/WEOWORLD
China is still behind Malaysia a little bit in 2017,not sure in 2018.

Last edited:
You misunderstood, my friend, Shenzhen has a registered household population of only 3 million. Shenzhen uses the permanent resident population(who live in Shenzhen for half a year and above) to calculate the per capita GDP. Same as Beijing and Shanghai.

If using the household registration population of Shenzhen only, the per capita GDP of Shenzhen is 110,000 US dollars.However, this is meaningless.
(By the end of 2016, the total number of permanent residents in Shanghai was 24.197 million. Among them, the registered population of Shanghai household registration is only 14.39 million,Shanghai used the total population of 24.197 million to calculate GDP per capita, Same as Shenzhen,Shenzhen has little household registration population of only 3 millions coz she is a very new city,30 year ago there is no city called Shenzhen only a small county called Bao An宝安县.)

Shenzhen: GDP of 2 243.839 billion yuan (2017)
Total population: 12.528 million people (all permanent residents in 2017)

Beijing/Shanghai is different from Shenzhen.

Beijing/Shanghai are municipalities, almost like province themselves. So they keep a clear record of the population inflow from other parts of China.

Shenzhen is a part of Guangdong. For example you can live in Dongguan and work in Shenzhen, and the GDP will be accrued to Shenzhen while your residence is considered as Dongguan.

Is the foreigner or national of a short-term tourist in Singapore for one month included in Singapore's national GDP calculation?

We include whoever is working here into our population.

population-in-brief-2018.png

You can live in Malaysia and work in Singapore, we will still include you into our non-resident population. We divide our GDP with total population (resident+non-resident), not just resident population. Therefore our GDP per capita is pretty accurate; it's in line with our GNI per capita.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GNI_(PPP)_per_capita

You compare this to Luxembourg, which has a significantly higher GDP per capita than GNI per capita.
That's because they include only resident population even when there's a huge number of foreign workers commuting in from neighboring countries.

Take Luxembourg’s GDP per head (see chart). It has been at the top of the OECD rankings for several years now, well ahead of other countries, including the US. To explain the large lead, statisticians point to the 90,000-strong labour force commuting across the border everyday from Germany, France, Belgium and the Netherlands, often to work in lucrative financial services. These workers are not counted as part of Luxembourg’s population of 450,000. If they were added to this number, then overall GDP per head would be smaller, though still among the highest in the OECD.

http://oecdobserver.org/news/archivestory.php/aid/1507/GDP_and_GNI.html

Beijing/Shanghai is different from Shenzhen.

Beijing/Shanghai are municipalities, almost like province themselves. So they keep a clear record of the population inflow from other parts of China.

Shenzhen is a part of Guangdong. For example you can live in Dongguan and work in Shenzhen, and the GDP will be accrued to Shenzhen while your residence is considered as Dongguan.

We include whoever is working here into our population.

population-in-brief-2018.png

You can live in Malaysia and work in Singapore, we will still include you into our non-resident population. We divide our GDP with total population (resident+non-resident), not just resident population. Therefore our GDP per capita is pretty accurate; it's in line with our GNI per capita.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GNI_(PPP)_per_capita

You compare this to Luxembourg, which has a significantly higher GDP per capita than GNI per capita.
That's because they include only resident population even when there's a huge number of foreign workers commuting in from neighboring countries.

http://oecdobserver.org/news/archivestory.php/aid/1507/GDP_and_GNI.html
Well That is Chinese GDP calculation way,For me Shanghai and Beijing as well as Shenzhen ang Guangzhou are the same coz Police System has the same habitants management mthodes.

Household(Hukou) registration and permanent resident registration are not the same.
Curretly,My Household(Hukou) registration is in Anhui province of China while My permanent resident registration is in Wuxi City,So My contribution to GDP is calculate into Wuxi City not into my Anhui province hometown coz I am not permanent resident of My hometown.

My China National ID card issued by my hometown anhui province.
IMG_20181212_111106.jpg
IMG_20181212_111026.jpg

My permanent resident card issued by wuxi city of jiangsu province CHINA.

You tell me which province my contribution to CHINA GDP belong to?
I am a permanent resident of Wuxi city of jiangsu province , CHINA!

2)You did not get the key point, those who live for more than 6 months in a city is calculated as permanent resident of this city!

Whatever pass holder or sutdent type you are!

3)Those who like you said, working in Shenzhen, living in Dongguan, his GDP calculation depends on where his residence permit is handled. If his residence card is issued by the Shenzhen Public Security Bureau, then it is Shenzhen. The contribution will be listed in Shenzhen, and vice versa will be recorded in the city which issued him his residence permit (Dongguan, or his hometown). Whether it is a Chinese social residence permit or an national ID card, the number is the unique number, so it is almost impossible to repeat.

You tell me which province my contribution to CHINA GDP belong to?
I am a permanent resident of Wuxi city of jiangsu province , CHINA!

You contribute to wherever you're working in. If you live in Wuxi but work in Shanghai, you will be contributing to the GDP of Shanghai.

2)You did not get the key point, those who live for more than 6 months in a city is calculated as permanent resident of this city!

That's not the point. There's a lot of workers living in other parts of Guangdong while commuting to Shenzhen for work.

2015年,深圳有1137.87万常住人口,其中15-64岁人口为946.99万人(2015年1%人口抽样调查),共有906.14万就业人员,就业人员占常住人口的79.6%,占劳动年龄人口的95.7%。劳动年龄人口几乎全都是从业人员,这似乎不太可能,深圳的就业人口规模与常住人口明显不相称。

《深圳统计年鉴2015》中居民家庭生活基本情况显示,2014年户均人口2.2人,其中只有1.4人是就业人员。按此计算,深圳现有的常住人口对应着724万就业人员(户均人口统计口径在2014年进行调整,如果按2013年口径计算,只有599万),而906.14万就业人员对应的是1424万常住人口(按2013年口径计算,是1721万)。

看一下上海的情况,2014年,上海有2425万常住人口,就业人员为1365.63万,按每就业人员负担1.83个人数计算,现有常住人口对应的就业人员为1325.1万,现有就业人员对应的常住人口为2499万人,数字基本吻合。由此可见,深圳的就业人员和常住人口数值明显异常,要么就业人员高估,要么常住人口被低估。

4)Without an National ID card, you can't buy train tickets in China, you can't buy a bus ticket, you can't avoid the police random check, and you can't enjoy social security and benefits. iF YOU HAVE no ID card, you can’t EVEN move in China. China's identity card system is very accurate I am very sure about there policeman check my appartment regularly every three months for household and permanent resident population updating check.

Last edited:
There's 9m people working in Shenzhen in a population of 11m.

There's 13m people working in Shanghai in a population of 24m.

You contribute to wherever you're working in. If you live in Wuxi but work in Shanghai, you will be contributing to the GDP of Shanghai.

That's not the point. There's a lot of workers living in other parts of Guangdong while commuting to Shenzhen for work.

Well I live in wuxi and work in Wuxi as well.
This is China calculation method used by every province and every cities,
You said Shanghai and Beijing are different from Shenzhen which I can not agree.
Don't underestimate Dongguan, Dongguan's GDP is also quite high. (90,885 yuan in 2017 = $ 1,3201.9697)

There's 9m people working in Shenzhen in a population of 11m.

There's 13m people working in Shanghai in a population of 24m.
Shenzhen in a population of 11m.

There's 13m people working in Shanghai in a population of 24m

Not quite sure what are you talking about!
The situation you said is very rare. Most people still work in Shanghai and live in Shanghai.
The actual population of Shenzhen is more than 12 million, definitely not 20 million, because this is simply impossible.
Shenzhen with a GDP of 27000 USD is a fact recognized by the international community or regions, including China Taiwan, Philippines, and China Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, which quoted the data of 27,000 US dollars as Shenzhen GDP per capita.

Perhaps the Singapore government believes that Singapore's excessive per capita GDP data will cause uneasiness in neighboring countries Malaysia and Indonesia, so it decided to adopt alternative per capita GDP statistics.
Internationally, the mainstream per capita GDP statistical method is the method adopted by China and Shenzhen.

Last edited:
The situation you said is very rare. Most people still work in Shanghai and live in Shanghai.

Sigh, this is exactly my point. Shanghai is a 直辖市, almost like a province itself. Most of the migrant workers live in Shanghai and is counted as part of the population. They live and work in Shanghai.

In Shenzhen many workers live at night in other cities in Guangdong and work in Shenzhen during the day.

49d8b746c9b04416bfdb91bf4a0b02a8

Sigh, this is exactly my point. Shanghai is a 直辖市, almost like a province itself. Most of the migrant workers live in Shanghai and is counted as part of the population. They live and work in Shanghai.

In Shenzhen many workers live at night in other cities in Guangdong and work in Shenzhen during the day.

Calculate as you please.
Shenzhen is with 27000 USD per capita recognized internationally.

But according to you may be less than Dongguan's 13000 USD,let just say Shenzhen is with 12000 USD er capita,is this amount ok for you!?

This is your reliable source?

Any link?

Never heared Shenzhen with 21 millions or 22 millions people.
I do heared that CNN and BBC said China gov took human organs when they are alive,perhaps you get that from BBC or CNN too?

Back
Top Bottom