What's new

China Economy Forum

China unveils new super-speed train that hits 300 mph (or 500 kph)

Faster than a speeding bullet: China unveils new super-speed train that can hit 300 mph (... 100 mph quicker than its bullet trains) | Mail Online

"Faster than a speeding bullet: China unveils new super-speed train that can hit 300 mph (... 100 mph quicker than its bullet trains)
By Gareth Finighan
Last updated at 7:33 PM on 26th December 2011

China has produced a super-rapid test train capable of travelling at speeds of up to 300 miles per hour - 100 mph faster than the current record-holder.

The train, made from plastic materials reinforced with carbon fibre, is designed to resemble an ancient Chinese sword and 'will provide useful reference for current high-speed railway operations', according to train expert Shen Zhiyun.

Earlier this year, the Communist regime unveiled its fastest operational locomotive which was able to cover the 824-mile trip between Beijing and Shanghai in five hours - reaching record-breaking top speed of 200 mph and maintaining an average speed of 165 mph.

jTu95.jpg

Showpiece: Although not yet operational, the new bullet train has achieved speeds of 300 mph

The latest test model has a maximum tractive power of 22,800 kilowatts, compared with 9,600 kilowatts for the Beijing-Shanghai CRH380 trains.

But future Chinese trains will not necessarily run at such high speeds. CSR chairman Zhao Xiaogang said: 'We aims to ensure the safety of trains operation.'

China is home to the largest network of bullet-train track in the world, with 8,000 miles of track linking up the vast country at a cost of 700 billion yuans (£66 billion). Another 8,000 miles of line is expected to be added by 2015.

fhFg9.jpg

Already out of date: The CRH380A high-speed train was launched earlier this year and currently holds the world train speed record. But the new model can outrun it by 100 mph

China's railway industry has had a tough year, highlighted by a collision between two high-speed trains in July which killed at least 40 people. Construction of new high-speed trains in China has since been a near halt.

In February, the railways minister, Liu Zhijun, a key figure behind the boom in the sector, was dismissed over corruption charges that have not yet been tried in court.

And the multi-billion-pound plan has provoked complaints that it is too expensive for a country where millions of people still live in poverty. The government announced in April the top speed of the fastest lines would be reduced and ticket prices would be cut.

bfXhT.jpg

Being overtaken: China's current bullet train can hurtle through the countryside at speeds of up to 200 mph

Critics also claim that railway officials have diverted too much money to high-speed rail and should be expanding lower-cost traditional rail.

The Ministry of Railways claims it has made extensive preparations for safety and security on the trains.

They include plans for daily inspections of tracks and other facilities and an earthquake monitoring system."

[Note: MSNBC more accurately cited Xinhua and reported a 310 mph (or 500 kph) top speed.]

China launches high-resolution remote-sensing satellite - Xinhua | English.news.cn

"China launches high-resolution remote-sensing satellite
English.news.cn 2011-12-22 17:17:02

i2NSg.jpg

Carrying China's "Ziyuan I" 02C satellite, a Long March 4B carrier rocket lifts off from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern China's Shanxi province, Dec. 22, 2011. China successfully sent the high-resolution remote-sensing satellite into space on Thursday. The satellite will be used to conduct surveys on land resources, help with natural disaster reduction and prevention and so on. (Xinhua/Yao Jianfeng)

TAIYUAN, Dec. 22 (Xinhua) -- China successfully launched Ziyuan I-02C Thursday, a high-resolution remote-sensing satellite, from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi province.

Launched at 11:26 a.m aboard a Long March 4B rocket, the satellite reached an orbit of 770 km above Earth about 13 minutes later, according to the launch center.

Developed and produced by the China Academy of Space Technology, a subsidiary of China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC), it is the country's first such orbiter that can acquire high-resolution data through remote-sensing, marking a key technological leap forward.

According to the center, the satellite can conduct land resources surveys, reduce natural disasters, aid agriculture development and manage water resources.

The Long March 4B rocket is developed by Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology, another CASC subsidiary. Thursday's mission marked the 155th flight of China's Long March series of carrier rockets.

Editor: Deng Shasha"

[Note: Thank you to Marchpole for the post.]

World's Largest Battery Energy Storage Facility Completed

"World's Largest Battery Energy Storage Facility Completed
by Energy Matters
TUESDAY 03 JANUARY, 2012

Ab2iF.jpg

36 MegaWatt-hr BYD Battery Energy Storage Array housed at Zhangbei, China (Photo: Business Wire)

A joint venture between the State Grid Corporation of China (SGCC) and BYD has seen the completion of a 36 megawatt hour battery based energy storage facility.

In addition to the massive energy storage plant, the site incorporates a combined 140 megawatt wind and solar farm.

The batteries used at the facility located in Zhangbei, Hebei Province are from BYD's Iron Phosphate line. Aside from having a reported serviceable life of 20 years, the materials used in the cells are cheaper and more easily recycled than those used in other battery technologies.

While heat is a major enemy of batteries, BYD says its Iron Phosphate technology works normally at temperatures of up to 60 degrees Celsius and offers a energy transfer efficiency of more than 95%.

The Zhangbei 100MW wind, 40MW solar and 36MWh battery storage project cost an estimated $500M USD
and is part of China's Golden Sun initiative, a scheme supporting the construction of hundreds of solar-based electricity generation facilities.

This isn't BYD's first major battery energy storage project. In October last year, work was completed on the 12 MWh Shenzhen Baoqing Battery Energy Storage Station in the Longgang District of Shenzhen City.

BYD Company Limited is the largest supplier of rechargeable batteries in the world and is a leader in the development of electric vehicles and associated technologies. In 2008 BYD Auto released its first mass-produced, full hybrid vehicle, the BYD F3DM.

State Grid Corporation of China is the largest electric power transmission and distribution company in the world. Owned by the Chinese Government, SGCC has over 1.5 million employees and provides electricity to over 128 million customers. While current figures are hard to come by, in 2005 SGCC sold 1,464.6 Terrwatt hours (TWh) of electricity. At that point in time, SGCC owned 195,899 km of 220kV and above transmission lines with a transforming capacity up to 616.64 GVA."

I just spent 30 minutes explaining China's economy in the Turkish sub-forum. I've copied my post into this thread to help others better understand China's economy.

Martian you are a Chinese Guy, I tracked your posts and your profile picture from Xinhua. :lol: you mentioned everyone is facing crisis but why don't you talk about China. China export sector is facing crisis, increasing unemployment and causing unrest among people. Hang Seng is the worst performing Share market in whole of Asia. China Railways is asking for 1 Trillion Yuan Bailout.

In toto, every country in facing crisis and it is expected it will continue in 2012 also. So, no fairy tales here, accept the reality.

I am indeed a Taiwanese-American of Chinese ethnicity. I thought everyone knew that.

Anyway, your points about China may be true. However, you neglected to mention something very important: China's strengths. You cannot look at a minor fault and claim China's economy is falling apart. You must look at the whole picture. After I demolish your arguments, I will itemize China's formidable strengths.

1. I have no idea what you are talking about regarding China's export sector. China's exports are higher than ever. What's wrong with a 13.8% export growth in November (see below) when you are already the world's largest exporter?

Since China's export base is the world's largest, 13.8% additional growth beyond that base will yield a huge absolute number. China's exports are somewhere around $1.5 trillion (see Table 4: https://www.uschina.org/statistics/tradetable.html). 13.8% of $1.5 trillion will yield an annual growth of $207 billion. Seems like a healthy economy to me.

China export and import growth slows, surplus narrows | Reuters

"China export and import growth slows, surplus narrows
By Langi Chiang and Nick Edwards
BEIJING | Fri Dec 9, 2011 11:10pm EST

(Reuters) - Growth in Chinese exports and imports slowed in November, further evidence of the faltering demand abroad and at home that is pushing Beijing towards a more explicit pro-growth policy.

Customs data on Saturday showed exports expanded 13.8 percent year on year in November, the lowest in nine months, but it was the most sluggish performance since November 2009 when the traditionally volatile month of February is stripped out.
The surplus turned out to be $14.5 billion, narrowing from October's $17.0 billion and the same level as in September."

2. Let's pretend that China is a company. When a company is making an average of $15 billion in profits every single month (see blue highlight above), that is a healthy company. Therefore, it is obvious that the Chinese economy is very healthy.

3. The Hang Seng is probably performing poorly because of the economic problems in the U.S. and Europe, which affects Chinese exporters. Also, the Chinese government popped the real estate bubble early; which is good for China's economy, but not for stock market investors.

In other words, I fail to see why you think the Hang Seng affects China's real economy of manufacturers. The stock market goes up and it comes down. Who cares? I only care about China's economic fundamentals (e.g. export growth, trade surplus, etc.).

4. China Railways wants more money. What's the problem? You can't build railroads for free. Massive infrastructure projects (like dams, railroads, or airports) require a huge upfront cost. China Railways is asking for more money because China is building a nationwide high-speed rail network that is supposed to be completed by 2020.

----------

Now, let's look at China's strengths.

1. China has $3.2 trillion in foreign exchange reserves. In other words, China has plenty of money to pay its bills for the next few decades. The story gets even better. China has invested its $3.2 trillion and it earns interest or invested returns.

2. China has been consistently profitable for the past decade (and longer). China earns roughly $200 billion in its annual current account balance (e.g. total trade in goods and services). In other words, $200 billion dollars in net profits is being injected into the Chinese economy every year. This is part of the reason that China's economy has boomed at 10% for thirty years.

The trade surpluses are still happening every month. The Chinese economic party will continue unabated. It might slow a bit to 8%, but that's because China's economy is now a monster $7 trillion. It's hard to grow at 10% when your economy is that large.

3. China's economy continues to increase in productivity. Alternatively, you can say that China's economy keeps becoming more efficient. How does China do that? Well, it's actually pretty simple. China produces and consumes hundreds of thousands of new CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) machine tools each year. Of course Chinese factories become more productive with an annual massive influx of advanced CNC machine tools.

4. When China builds railways, it frees up the old rail network for exclusive use to ship freight. The freight rail network no longer encounters bottlenecks and it requires a lot less fuel to ship by rail than by trucks. Once again, China's economy becomes more efficient.

5. China has invested a lot of money into research and development. Improvement in Chinese technology has led to massive increases in production. For example, Chinese super-rice hybrid technology has led to a quadruple or quintuple increase in rice production (for the same hectare) in the last four decades. China's economy keeps booming because of technological advancement.

I could keep going on and on about the returns on China's investment in education, trade, licensing, joint ventures, shift into production of higher-value products (e.g. ARJ-21 regional jet planes, upcoming COMAC C919 mid-size jetliners, and building satellites for foreign customers), building more-efficient coal plants with 41% efficiency and shutting down less-efficient old ones with 25% efficiency, etc.

I've already spent 30 minutes answering his post and I would rather not spend another hour beating the issue to death. China probably has the strongest economy in the world right now. It is just silly to claim that China is facing serious economic problems.

The Chinese currency keeps appreciating relentlessly. That should tell you China's economy is growing stronger, not weaker.

SmiB3.png

China's Yuan has appreciated over 30% during the last six years from 8.27 yuans to 6.30 yuans per U.S. dollar (see CNY, Chinese Yuan Exchange Rates Table - x-rates).

----------

If you want an example of a country that is in serious decline, look at this one. They can't pay their bills because they run huge annual trade deficits and their debts are beyond their ability to pay.

Is rupee depreciation the new normal?

"Is rupee depreciation the new normal?
Hindu Business Line - Ritesh Jain - 1 day ago

Qqiql.jpg

Unless we control inflation and reduce the supply-side constraints, the rupee is expected to depreciate further against the dollar.

India has been relying on capital inflows to fill the current account deficit and this strategy had worked successfully in the last decade. Over the last three-four years, India has slowly and cautiously opened its doors to debt capital by raising caps on ECB/FII/FDI debt investment.

Coupled with the increasing interest rate differentials between India and the developed world, there was a sizable increase in debt capital inflows into the country in the last couple of years. Though these inflows seem to have compensated for the almost dried up inflows towards equity this year, there could be challenges, going ahead. How? Read on.

India's overall external debt outstanding as of June-2011 was $317 billion, an increase of 38 per cent in last two years. The short-term external debt increased at a much faster pace of 62 per cent (in absolute terms) during the same period and it now constitutes about 21.6 per cent of total external debt.

However, a much worrying fact is that the total external debt maturing within the next one year, short-term and long-term debt (with residual maturing of less than one year), is about $137 billion, as of June 2011, constituting about 43.3 per cent of the aggregate external debt — one of the highest witnessed in last decade; and 43.5 per cent of India's total foreign currency reserve (see table).

Additionally, a sizable portion of India's external debt is believed to be financed by European banks, which were the most active lenders to emerging Asia, much higher than the US or Japanese banks put together.

Thus, with the ongoing re-capitalisation needs of European banks, it is likely that these banks will be less forthcoming in refinancing Indian corporate debt. What makes matters even worse is that between March 2010 and June 2011, when the short-term forex repayment obligations have more than doubled, India's foreign currency reserves have grown by just 13.14 per cent over the same time frame.
Dollar liability

The rupee has remained fairly stable (except during Lehmann Brothers crisis) and confined to the 44-48 range against the dollar. This was supposed to be a new normal and with India's GDP growth recovering to 9 per cent in a short span after the crisis, the rupee was expected to appreciate vis-a-vis the dollar by market participants and economists alike. Though inflows and outflows on the currency front were more or less matched during this period, what changed was that short-term credit funding by Indian corporates was taken in dollars instead of rupees.

Further, some corporates converted their rupee liability to dollar liability. With interest rate differential between the RBI repo rate and Fed rate reaching the highest level in recent history, corporates were led to believe that either the rupee would appreciate or the interest differential on their liabilities conversion would more than offset rupee depreciation, if any.

However, contrary to general belief, the rupee depreciated 10-12 per cent against the dollar. In fact, the rupee was so weak that it depreciated 8-10 per cent against currencies such as the euro and the yen.
Import issues

India remains a net importer of goods in foreign trade, with about a third comprising inelastic oil imports. A sharp depreciation in the rupee in recent times would pose a challenge for the import Bill. With a foreign currency reserve of $311 billion, as of September 2011, and import value of about $35 billion for the month, India now has the lowest import cover of 8-9 months; this is the lowest in the last decade.

The elevated inflation, rising wages and increased capital costs during the last three years has diminished India's competitiveness. Further, with slowdown in the global economy, a slowdown in exports growth is inevitable.

The currency depreciation will put pressure on inflation. Sticky inflation and lack of infrastructure will slow down the productivity gains. An interesting point to ponder at this juncture would be — having attracted reasonable amount of foreign money with 8-9 per cent GDP growth, now, if the new normal GDP growth gets closer to 6-7 per cent, will that impact funds flow into the country?
Strained liquidity

The central banker's ability to intervene in the currency market remains strictly limited as we are running close to the lowest foreign currency reserves in terms of import cover in the last decade.

We believe that a sizable portion of external debt maturing in the next one year would require to be rolled over domestically, as global risk aversion would make the dollar availability limited and will, in turn, put pressure on the rupee liquidity. Any move by the RBI to support the rupee would put further pressure on the already strained liquidity. Along with all these factors mentioned above, a heightening risk on the current account deficit front, the best for the rupee seems to be over and we are in a new normal where unless we bring inflation under control and reduce the supply-side constraint, the rupee is expected to depreciate further against the dollar."

----------

Off-topic:

To clarify, my avatar (to the left) of the Three Gorges Dam was chosen because of the three cool pools of whitewater against a green backdrop. I couldn't find an identical picture without the Xinhua logo, so I had to settle for the picture with Xinhua on it. I've never given it a second thought until today. I want to state that I have nothing to do with Xinhua.

My first choice was China's first thermonuclear explosion, but I thought Indians might get upset. I picked a less controversial logo.

Happy Holidays And Don't Forget China's $7 Trillion Gdp

Happy holidays to everyone (and the silent readers) on Pakistan Defence.

We are only a few days past 2011. Please remember China's new GDP is $7 trillion for 2011. Ho ho ho!

Reference: List of countries by past and future GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

----------

Proof of China's $7 trillion GDP in 2011

In 2010, China's revised GDP was 40.12 trillion yuans. (See China's GDP growth in 2010 revised up to 10.4 pct year-on-year)

On October 15th, a Chinese government economist said the economy will grow by 9.4% for the entirety of 2011. (See China's economic growth to ease to 9.4 pct in 2011: economist)

Math:

40.12 trillion yuans * 1.094 = 43.89128 trillion yuans (e.g. China's economic size for 2011)

The current exchange rate is 6.33698 yuans per U.S. dollar. (See CNY, Chinese Yuan Exchange Rates Table - x-rates)

43.89128 trillion yuans / 6.33698 yuans per U.S. dollar = $6.926 trillion U.S. dollars

Wait, I'm not done yet! In recent years, the Chinese government has always revised its economic growth upwards when the full economic data are gathered.

To illustrate, the original estimate for China's 2010 GDP was 39.5 trillion yuans (see http://www.marketwatch.com/story/chinas-20...-101-2011-01-17). The final official figure for 2010 was 40.12 trillion yuans. The difference between the initial and final growth rates was 620 billion yuans.

If we reasonably assume that China's 2011 GDP will eventually be revised upwards by another 620 billion yuans then China's final official 2011 GDP will be:

43.89128 trillion yuans + 620 billion yuans (e.g. likely 2011 upward revision) = 44.51128 trillion yuans

44.51128 trillion yuans / 6.33698 yuans per U.S. dollar = $6.988 trillion U.S. dollars (which exactly matches the IMF estimate in my earlier reference to Wikipedia)

Add in Macau's GDP and China has a $7 trillion GDP for 2011!

PQmR4.jpg

I have independently calculated China's 2011 GDP to be $6.988 trillion U.S. dollars, which is a perfect match for the IMF estimate of China's 2011 economic size.

Chinese doctors find way to detect liver cancer earlier

TGjfF.jpg

MicroRNA is a class of small non-coding RNA profoundly involved in post-transcriptional gene regulation and recently implicated in human carcinogenesis. We are also interested to study the expression profiles, epigenetic alterations and molecular functions of microRNAs and their roles in liver cancer development and metastasis. Our recent studies particularly focus on delineating the interplay between miRNA and epigenetic machinery and how deregulation of this epigenetic-miRNA regulatory circuit is implicated in liver cancer progression and metastasis.

The Chinese scientific discovery is important, because it detects liver cancer by using only a few microRNAs (e.g. seven microRNAs). It is reliable (e.g. 90% correlation), sensitive (e.g. MUST be able to detect liver tumors that are less than two centimeters in diameter), convenient (e.g. a trivial 1 milliliter sample of the patient's blood), AND affordable (e.g. $15.9 U.S. dollars per test). Also, it has been published in a reputable scientific journal (e.g. been peer-reviewed).

Chinese doctors find way to detect liver cancer earlier - Xinhua | English.news.cn

"Chinese doctors find way to detect liver cancer earlier
English.news.cn 2011-12-19 19:15:30

SHANGHAI, Dec. 19 (Xinhua) -- A simple test using just one milliliter of a patient's blood can tell whether the patient has liver cancer -- even if the tumor is less than two centimeters in diameter, new medical research in Shanghai shows.

Doctors at the Zhongshan Hospital, a major medical institution affiliated with Fudan University, have found that seven microRNAs, or ribonucleic acid molecules, are strongly related to liver problems. This discovery can raise the accuracy of tests for early-stage liver cancer to almost 90 percent.

Each test will cost a patient only about 100 yuan (15.9 U.S. dollars), said Dr. Fan Jia, vice president of the hospital and one of the country's leading liver surgeons.

The research results have been published on the website of the Journal of Clinical Oncology, the official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.

China sees half of the world's new liver cancer cases each year. More than 60 percent of Chinese liver cancer patients are diagnosed too late to be cured, according to the medical paper written by Fan's team.

Fan said that the current check for liver cancer, which is based on the volume of alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) in blood, was not accurate for some people, including pregnant women and patients with hepatitis, gonadal carcinoma or gastrointestinal cancer, as their AFP levels are also possibly high.

Fan's team examined blood samples from 934 people, including healthy people and those with hepatitis B, cirrhosis or liver cancer between 2008 and 2010. The team found that seven of the more than 130 microRNAs in their blood were closely linked to liver problems, and could, therefore, be used to test the health of a person's liver.

The team is applying for patents for the test in China, the United States, Japan and the European Union, and is still in the process of developing a microchip containing the seven microRNAs before the test will be adopted on a large scale.

Editor: Deng Shasha"

[Note: Credit for photo and caption belongs to Dr. Jack Wong, The University of Hong Kong. Source: Department of Pathology, The University of Hong Kong - Staff - Dr Jack Wong]

Huawei Unveils Industry’s First Giga DSL Prototype

oYjzq.jpg

Huawei Smart AX M5300. The Smart AX MA5300 platform has been instrumental to Huawei's success in the global DSLAM (digital subscriber line access multiplexer) market, but the MA5600 series, designed to support more bandwidth-intensive services such as triple/quad play, is the company's flagship DSLAM.

Huawei Unveils Industry’s First Giga DSL Prototype | Vadvert - UK Paid Press Release Distribution Service

"Huawei Unveils Industry’s First Giga DSL Prototype
Mariah Lawson on 12 19, 2011

Can Achieve Access Rate of One Gbps per Twisted Pair

Shenzhen, China, Huawei, a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) provider, today announced that it successfully launched the industry’s first Giga DSL (Digital Subscriber line) prototype. The Giga DSL system employs time division duplex (TDD) to achieve a total upstream and downstream rate of 1,000 Mb/s over a single twisted pair.

In order to address obstacles related to limited bandwidth of FTTB (Fiber to the Building)/FTTC(Fiber to the Curb) and difficulty in deploying FTTH (Fiber to the Home) drop cables – so that users can enjoy bandwidth-hungry services such as IPTV and HDTV – optical fiber access points need to be located closer to users. While, 100 Mbp/s-plus ultra-broadband access can be made available relatively quickly by utilizing legacy copper line resources, providing 1,000 Mbp/s bandwidth within 100 meters of twisted pairs using DSL technology is more complex.

By using low-power spectral density in-signal transmission, Huawei’s Giga DSL prototype reduces radiation interference and power consumption, and provides a total upstream and downstream rate of one Gb/s within 100 meters, and 500 Mb/s-plus within 200 meters – making it a cost-effective option for telecom operators building ultra-broadband access networks.

Giga DSL is a next-generation access technology solution that's growing quickly. In 2011, ITU-T set up a G.fast project team dedicated to formulating new standards for ultra-speed access at short distances, the aim being to achieve 500 Mb/s access rate per twisted pair within 100 meters. Huawei has actively participated in the work of the team and has become a major technical contributor, having recently worked to incorporate TDD-OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing) as a G.fast modulation mode.

Dr. Long Guozhu, Huawei’s Principal Expert of DSL technology, said, “Huawei has taken the lead in developing a Giga DSL prototype because of our rich capabilities and industry-leading technical strengths in access networks. It was inevitable that spectrum expansion would help us improve the rate of a twisted pair at a short distance, but after the spectrum is expanded, a technical issue appears: how to design the high-speed physical layer and high-frequency analog front end (AFE). To tackle this issue, Huawei’s FBB Innovation Lab used the core solution TDD-OFDM, which simplifies the physical-layer architecture and the AFE design, while at the same time makes it possible to be downward compatible with traditional ADSL/VDSL2 technologies.”

Huawei also recently announced the successful development of the world’s first node level vectoring (NLV) prototype. Huawei’s vectoring product provides 100 Mbps access over a single twisted pair in FTTC/FTTB, and has been tested and commercially trialed with many leading telecom operators. This, along with the company’s latest prototype, Giga DSL, signifies that DSL technology still has great potential to meet the requirements of broadband users for ultra-high-speed access in the future.

Huawei’s advances within Giga DSL will enhance the capabilities of the company’s SingleFAN broadband access solution. Its SingleFAN solution and related offerings are now servicing over one third of the world’s broadband users with ultra-broadband access services."

[Note: Picture source link: http://www.n9ws.com/users/damien/tutos/degroupage.htm. Caption source link: Huawei - SmartAX MA5300 (Product Advisor) - Market Research Reports - Research and Markets.]

Happy Holidays And Don't Forget China's $7 Trillion Gdp

Happy holidays to everyone (and the silent readers) on Pakistan Defence.

We are only a few days past 2011. Please remember China's new GDP is $7 trillion for 2011. Ho ho ho!

Reference: List of countries by past and future GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

----------

Proof of China's $7 trillion GDP in 2011

In 2010, China's revised GDP was 40.12 trillion yuans. (See China's GDP growth in 2010 revised up to 10.4 pct year-on-year)

On October 15th, a Chinese government economist said the economy will grow by 9.4% for the entirety of 2011. (See China's economic growth to ease to 9.4 pct in 2011: economist)

Math:

40.12 trillion yuans * 1.094 = 43.89128 trillion yuans (e.g. China's economic size for 2011)

The current exchange rate is 6.33698 yuans per U.S. dollar. (See CNY, Chinese Yuan Exchange Rates Table - x-rates)

43.89128 trillion yuans / 6.33698 yuans per U.S. dollar = $6.926 trillion U.S. dollars

Wait, I'm not done yet! In recent years, the Chinese government has always revised its economic growth upwards when the full economic data are gathered.

To illustrate, the original estimate for China's 2010 GDP was 39.5 trillion yuans (see http://www.marketwatch.com/story/chinas-20...-101-2011-01-17). The final official figure for 2010 was 40.12 trillion yuans. The difference between the initial and final growth rates was 620 billion yuans.

If we reasonably assume that China's 2011 GDP will eventually be revised upwards by another 620 billion yuans then China's final official 2011 GDP will be:

43.89128 trillion yuans + 620 billion yuans (e.g. likely 2011 upward revision) = 44.51128 trillion yuans

44.51128 trillion yuans / 6.33698 yuans per U.S. dollar = $6.988 trillion U.S. dollars (which exactly matches the IMF estimate in my earlier reference to Wikipedia)

Add in Macau's GDP and China has a $7 trillion GDP for 2011!

PQmR4.jpg

I have independently calculated China's 2011 GDP to be $6.988 trillion U.S. dollars, which is a perfect match for the IMF estimate of China's 2011 economic size.
He, guys, I don't know whether you know the chinese, I know a website, A private website, the MoD are proficient in economy digit. FYI:ºÚ²¼ÁÖ±±º£¾Ó_°Ù¶È¿Õ¼ä. Hope you like it! and the netizen predict the 2011 china GDP is about 7.4 trillion

You definitely did the math wrong.

The real or actually growth rate in about 8~9% but the nominal growth rate maybe doubled due to inflation rate which no government wants you to find out.

FYI if you track the recent GDP data you'll find a 20+% growth in RMB and USD.

MediaTek Releases World's First 120Hz SoC Solutions for High-end Smart TV

L3YA2.jpg

"MediaTek makes chips for various devices including DVD players and televisions, but they’re most known for their mobile phone chips that are used in millions of Chinese handsets."

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/04/4164122/m...rlds-first.html

"MediaTek Releases World's First 120Hz SoC Solutions for High-end Smart TV
Next Generation Wi-Fi Display Technology Brings the "Living Room" Revolution to a New Level
By MediaTek Inc.
Published: Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012 - 11:12 pm

TAIPEI, Taiwan, Jan. 5, 2012 -- /PRNewswire-Asia/ -- MediaTek Inc., a leading fabless semiconductor company for wireless communications and digital multimedia solutions, today announced the release of the world's first 120Hz Smart TV supported single chip solution model. In addition to providing an unparalleled 3D viewing experience, the chip is also an industry leader in support for Wi-Fi display technology, which allows Smart TVs to synchronize with Wi-Fi network hubs without the use of external modems or Internet connection, ensuring that high definition content can be easily shared on TV screens anytime or anywhere. MediaTek's groundbreaking solution is bringing the "living room" revolution to a new level, while creating a new generation of "smart homes."

According to the Topology Research Institute's most recent report, as more brands continue to release Smart TVs, worldwide shipments of Smart TVs in the next two years could double. In 2011 alone, 25.18 million Smart TVs were sold worldwide, accounting for 10.4% of overall TV sales. In 2012, that number is set to double to at least 52.85 million units. A yearly growth of 100% means that by the end of 2012, Smart TVs will account for 20% of overall TV sales. The report went on to say that as "smart" becomes the new catchword in electronics, the addition of 3D and LED innovative hardware features is set to bring about more explosive growth to the already red hot Smart TV market.

MediaTek's new Smart TV single chip solution offers a number of highly integrated advanced applications. In addition to support for numerous high definition video image processing technologies, the chip also comes with MediaTek's patented MDDi™ deinterlace solution, greatly enhancing the clarity of moving images and allowing support for 120 Hz MEMC (Motion Estimation, Motion Compensation) and 3D visuals, thus making images even more lifelike and giving consumers a smoother and more vivid viewing experience. As the first to support the next generation Wi-Fi Alliance Standard, MediaTek's Wi-Fi display technology allows Smart TVs to be synchronized with one or more Wi-Fi stations, thus allowing simultaneous broadcast of content between the devices. Enjoying a new smart digital home experience, consumers can now easily share high definition video content with both friends and family.

In addition, MediaTek provides support for digital TV's worldwide common platforms, as well as the customization of solutions, enabling customers to instead focus their resources on product differentiation and various application developments, thereby shortening the time to market for products. Mr. Joe Chen, General Manager of Digital TV BU at MediaTek Inc., said, "Compared with traditional TVs, Smart TVs offer Internet access and Internet service platforms which give consumers a more superior all around visual experience. Following the introduction of Smart TV technology, the traditional TV has been transformed into a digital home entertainment center; with interactive features available, as well as having built in a variety of different applications, this new generation of Smart TVs completely redefines the traditional role of the 'living room TV', and sets a new milestone for TV technology. By offering a Smart TV single chip solution that features high-performance, high integration and customizable features, MediaTek continues to help customers worldwide achieve global brand value."

About MediaTek Inc.

MediaTek Inc. is a leading fabless semiconductor company for wireless communications and digital multimedia solutions. The company is a market leader and pioneer in cutting-edge SOC system solutions for wireless communications, high-definition TV, optical storage, and DVD and Blu-ray products. Founded in 1997 and listed on Taiwan Stock Exchange under the code "2454", MediaTek is headquartered in Taiwan and has sales or research subsidiaries in Mainland China, Singapore, India, U.S., Japan, South Korea, Denmark, England and Dubai. For more information, please visit MediaTek's website at www.mediatek.com."

[Note: "SoC" is an acronym for System-on-Chip. Under the "One China" policy, all countries in the world recognize Taiwan as a part of China; except for a few tiny countries and islands. Therefore, all Taiwanese (Republic of China) news belongs in the Chinese threads.]

Huawei unveils world’s thinnest smartphone

Huawei P1S Smartphone is Crazy Thin - Technabob

"Huawei P1S Smartphone is Crazy Thin
January 9th, 2012 by: Shane McGlaun

If you like your smartphones to have cool features and a cool design, the new Huawei Ascend P1 S might get your motor revving. The smartphone is hailed as the “world’s thinnest” and I can believe it at 6.68mm thick. You could stand that thing up sideways and have a hard time finding it.

g2x97.jpg

(Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the world's thinnest smartphone...the Huawei Ascend P1 S!)

The smartphone runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and has Gorilla Glass over the top to make it stronger. The screen is 4.3-inches wide and has 960 x 540 resolution. The processor is a dual-core 1.5GHz TI OMAP 4460. The smartphone runs an 1800mAh battery and should last a long time. The device is not that wide either at 64.8mm.

The P1S smartphone will be offered in white, black, and pink colors. The rear camera is an 8MP unit and the front is a 1.3MP camera. The rear camera can capture 1080p video. If this thing floats your boat, it will hit the US in April. What carrier will have it and how much it will cost are unknown."

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Bank Lending, M2 Money Supply Soar in China; Premier Wen Jiabao calls for "Measures to Boost Confidence in Stock Market"; US vs. China Money Supply - Who is Printing More?

Who is printing more money US or China

Chinese stock have been on a 2-day tear as Premier Wen Jiabao has come flat out in support of the stock market.

Moreover, money supply in China is up the most since last April and new Chinese loans exceeded the estimates of all 18 Bloomberg economists. M2 rose 13.6 percent, the fastest pace since July.

Bloomberg reports China Stocks Rise Most in 3 Months on Loan, Money Data

China’s stocks rose the most in three months after new lending and money supply exceeded estimates in December, boosting speculation the government is relaxing monetary policies to bolster economic growth.

Chinese new loans totaled 640.5 billion yuan ($101 billion) last month, the highest amount since April, the People’s Bank of China said yesterday. That exceeded the estimates of all 18 economists surveyed by Bloomberg. M2, a measure of money supply, rose 13.6 percent, the fastest pace since July, it said. That compared with the 12.9 percent median of 18 estimates.

Premier Wen Jiabao called for measures to boost confidence in the nation’s stock market, the Shanghai Securities News reported today, citing his comments at the National Financial Work meeting. He urged reforming initial public offerings and improving companies’ dividend payouts, according to the report.

The premier’s comments signal the government may take more measures to boost stocks, including allowing social security funds to buy equities, David Li, UBS’s chairman and country head for China, said in an interview in Shanghai. Funds may flow out of the property market and into stocks as the government isn’t showing any inclination to ease curbs in the real-estate industry because prices “are still high,” he said.

Central bank governor Zhou Xiaochuan said yesterday the nation must be ready to combat possible shocks from Europe’s debt crisis and an uncertain U.S. economic outlook. China cut the reserve requirement for the first time since 2008 on Nov. 30 as Europe’s debt crisis eroded demand for its exports.

$SSEC Shanghai Stock Index Daily Chart

The Shanghai stock index has been on a big two-day advance, but let's put some perspective on the story.

$SSEC Shanghai Stock Index Monthly Chart

US vs. China M2 - Who is Printing More?

For all the hype talk about US hyperinflation and soaring money supply from the Bernanke Fed, let's add some perspective on money supply growth as well.

US vs. China M2 Absolute Amounts

click on chart for sharper image

US vs. China M2 Year-Over-Year Percentage Change

Charts courtesy of Chris Puplava at Financial Sense. I asked for them yesterday in expectation of writing this post today. Chart annotations and comments are mine.

The above chart provides a nice visual explanation for the "reverse decoupling" and outperformance of the US stock market in 2011. Money supply plunged in the Eurozone as well.

Bernanke flooded the markets with liquidity, yet all if did was hold stocks flat. Compared to China and Europe, that was a huge "accomplishment" but it fueled a rise in gasoline and food prices and brutally punished those on fixed incomes with excessively low interest rates on savings accounts.

Note that Money supply in China in mid-to-late 2009 was soaring at 30% annual growth. The recent stock market plunge in China came with growth "collapsed" to 13.60%. Meanwhile M2 growth in the US peaked at 10%.

All things considered, it is amusing to hear all the US hyperinflation rants, especially those accompanied with a virtual love affair for China such as Peter Schiff and Jim Rogers.

Those looking for malinvestment can find no bigger place than China.

[video]<embed src="http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMzQyMTkwNzky/v.swf" quality="high" width="480" height="400" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>[/video]

This vdieo content is goup of Shanghai residents living beside only 200 meters away from newly built Hongqiao International airport airstrip, contesting the Shanghai goverment ignorrance of thier basic human rights for peaceful life during thier first protest gathering at year 2009. During their contesting, they broadcasted chinese favorite revolutionary song' Mao ze dong is the dearest leader to Chinese' and that attract lots of Chinese and foreign guest hold their steps to look . Shanghi policy security force made their appearance on sight while after but didn't bring out any overdriven activity on the protestor.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

[video]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzIwMTQ4MTIw.html[/video]

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

[video]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzI4ODExOTU2.html[/video]

The Shamao neibourhood residents post lots of papers on the ground writing reprimand and regrets feeling toward Shanghai goverment inaction in this event. Accoring to what they posted, the aireplane fly height is just 40 meters head above the apartment in high frequency which severly bother the normal life of the people living thiere.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

anyone who will conscienciously post these video and content in youtube for helping innocent civilians, please!

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------
S0D20100908145134MT807722.jpg

pic_0b90e548cafce16666c0405a067044c2.jpg

S0D20100908144606MT542375.jpg

I appreciate your help on behalf of those poor residents.

Back
Top Bottom