What's new

China Economy Forum

When will China embrace SNA2008?
And what's the impact of SNA2008 on current GDP number?

@Yizhi @Shotgunner51 @TaiShang @rugering @Stranagor @cirr @Keel @Jlaw @Place Of Space @FairAndUnbiased @zeronet @Raphael @sweetgrape @Edison Chen @Chinese Bamboo @Chinese-Dragon @cnleio @+4vsgorillas-Apebane @onebyone @yusheng @Kyle Sun @dy1022 @Beast @YoucanYouup @terranMarine @ahojunk @kuge @Arryn @Economic superpower @Beidou2020 @cirr @JSCh @jkroo @Pangu @ChineseTiger1986 @powastick et al

[SIZE=5]System of National Accounts 2008 (SNA08) - Main Changes[/SIZE]
The changes in the international standards which have the most significant impact on the level of GDP relate to the delineation of investments.

According to SNA 2008, expenditures on research and development and weapons systems (warships, submarines, military aircraft, tanks, etc.) are now included in gross fixed capital formation, i.e. investments. This is recognition of the fact that expenditures on these items provide long-lasting services to businesses, non-profit institutions, and the governments who use them. It increases the level of GDP across time, but the impact on GDP growth rates will generally be minor (as can be seen in countries who have already implemented SNA 2008).

Moreover, in situations like this when changes in international standards are actually implemented in the national accounts, countries tend to take advantage of the unique situation and make changes to improve all their compilation methods - therefore also implementing various improvements in sources and estimation methodologies. It is important to underline that the impact of the latter “statistical benchmark revision” could be higher than the impact of the changeover in standards. For example, the Netherlands increased their level of GDP by 7.6 % for 2010, but only 3 percentage points are related to the implementation of the SNA 2008.

[SIZE=3]Australia implemented the SNA08 in 2009, Canada in 2010, Israel, Mexico and the United States in 2013.

All European Union member states as well as Korea, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and New Zealand implemented the SNA08 in 2014.

Therefore since end of 2014, all OECD countries except Chile, Japan and Turkey, publish GDP estimates according to the SNA08.

Turkey plans to implement SNA08 by the end of 2015, whereas Chile and Japan will adopt the new standards in 2016.

[ATTACH=full]256962[/ATTACH] [/SIZE]

Rugering the Bolton is now an Arryn of the Eyrie, hence my status. You only have to tag me with my current name otherwise the alert function won't work.

Rugering the Bolton is now an Arryn of the Eyrie, hence my status. You only have to tag me with my current name otherwise the alert function won't work.
OK, i don't know you two are actually one.o_O

WHAT?:o:

BEIJING, Sept. 10 (Xinhua) -- Foreign direct investment (FDI) into the Chinese mainland jumped 22 percent in August from a year earlier, settling at 8.71 billion U.S. dollars, the Ministry of Commerce said on Thursday.

The growth accelerated from a 5.2-percent rise in July, as investments to the country's high-tech service industry saw a significant increase.

For the first eight months, FDI, which excludes investment in the financial sector, stood at 85.34 billion U.S. dollars, up 9.2 percent from the same period last year, the ministry said.

Foreign investment to the service industry rose 20.1 percent, with the high-tech service sector seeing a jump of 59.1 percent to 5.51 billion U.S. dollars.

High-tech manufacturing attracted 6.57 billion U.S. dollars of foreign investment in the first eight months, up 9.9 percent.

Investments from Hong Kong, France and Macao saw fast growth, and those from European Union went up 14.4 percent to 5.12 billion U.S. dollars.

The ministry also noted that the number of foreign businesses ending or reducing investment in China continued to drop, dispelling worries that foreign capital is moving out of the country due to growth uncertainties.

China is battling a property downturn, industrial overcapacity, sluggish demand and struggling exports, which dragged growth down to 7 percent for the first half (H1) of the year.

On top of that, fresh pressure from capital market volatility, currency devaluation in emerging markets, and slumping global commodity prices are further muddying growth prospects.

At the annual summer meeting of the World Economic Forum, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang promised that China will make it easier for foreigners to invest in its industries.

"We are also becoming more capable of attracting foreign direct investment," he said.

093141geign0ifgwwwzzno.jpg

屏幕快照 2015-09-16 19.31.34.png

Last edited:
That's a good signal, But sometimes facts will hurt someone.

Ah, I am waiting collapse worshippers to comment.

I thought China is experiencing capital outflow since the stock market crash
That's the financial sector and it starts from June.

You should notice that money have poured into service and hi-tech sectors.

Last edited:
I thought China is experiencing capital outflow since the stock market crash

Some in and some out.
China is moving up the value chain, that's the prices to pay.
The rising red supply chain in mainland China and the cross-strait cooperation

Foreign investment to the service industry rose 20.1 percent, with the high-tech service sector seeing a jump of 59.1 percent to 5.51 billion U.S. dollars.

High-tech manufacturing attracted 6.57 billion U.S. dollars of foreign investment in the first eight months, up 9.9 percent.

I wonder what Supah Powah India's FDI was, has anyone got any figures?

EDIT: Interested out of curiosity since they always talk about being the next China. :sarcastic:

$19.3 billion in Jan- June 30% over the corresponding period last year ,more than your Foreign exchange reserves

EDIT: why drag India into China's economy thread ,if you have doubt ask it in Indian Economy thread

CHina foreign exchange reserve stood at USD 3.5 trillion. How is USD19.3 billion more than China foreign reserve? Modi magic pen again or failed India maths? :lol:

@Marxist was responding to the potshot that @Khanivore was taking (Pak reserves, not China reserves)

Some in and some out.
China is moving up the value chain, that's the prices to pay.
The rising red supply chain in mainland China and the cross-strait cooperation

capital outflow won't be an issue for China at all. Their huge $ reserves ensures adequate liquidity; and since the majority are state controlled enterprises. even if some sector develops a capital shortage, it would be easy to move $ and ownership around.

Last edited:
CHina foreign exchange reserve stood at USD 3.5 trillion. How is USD19.3 billion more than China foreign reserve? Modi magic pen again or failed India maths? :lol:

Where did i claimed china's Foreign reserve is less than India's FDI ? ...My comment is for Khanivore's post and their foreign reserve is less than 19.3 billions ...

Back
Top Bottom