What's new

China Economy Forum

If you count only those that hailed from Manado then it's just a few of them but if you include all those that have Manado blood (Jakarta/Java born) having career in our entertainment industry today then there are still many of them.

And Yes... Manado is known for beauties. 8-)

When we talk about Manado living in Jakarta, or Manado people in Java, it can be said that they are probably mix already. @Jakartans@PkDef (our member here) is a mix blood. He has Manado, Java, and Dutch blood. Ashanty (singer) can be said as Manado women, but she is actually a mix between Manado, Western blood, and Arab blood

Ashanty
efecfc58adef50e271826dc9fb39767c.jpg

I haven't tried Indonesian food yet but it looks good. Is the food generally spicy ?

Some region prefer spicy food, and some region dont. For instant, Central and East Java cuisine can be said as sweet than spicy. On the other hand, West Sumatra and West Java (Sundanese) people like spicy taste.

Very very interesting ! I did not know that Malays originally came from Sumatra, so Malay language is very similar to Minangkabau dialect as well? And very interesting about the formation of Bahasa Indonesia; that was one thing i noticed how similar Bahasa Indonesia is with Bahasa Malay. In regards to the movement of Malays from Sumatra to the Malay peninsula; it shows us how close and interrelated the people of the Malay Archipelago really are.

Minang Kabau language is so similar with Malay language, and very similar like Bahasa Indonesia. Betawi language ( local Jakarta people) is also a Malay language, every one who understand bahasa Indonesia can understand Betawi language so easily. It has become our national slang language as our celebrities use many of Betawi language on TV and Movie. On the other hand Javanese and Sundanese is not the same language. Honestly, I dont understand their language at all :lol:

Malay language from Riau island is the language that become our national language (bahasa Indonesia). Many Minang people live in Riau though, I dont know why, but Riau is near Singapore ( even first President of modern Singapore is a Minang Kabau descent ), so it can be said as a trader region in Sumatra, so many Minang people are there, and the region is also close to West Sumatra.

Last edited:
Before 2009, surveys usually indicate that >70% had positive view about China. After 2009 (i.e. after incidents like cutting survey ship cables, ramming fishermen, oil rig skirmish, etc.), the rating has gone down to a single digit at one time.

Like I said before, the hate is political. Which means that, North VN is the most anti-China because they are the most politically minded out of the whole country. The politicians are anti-China.

Why the north is the most anti China? Maybe they are close to China, close neighbors always have issues due to any reason, while people usually don't have problem with far-distance countries or people, because they don't know much about them. Can I understand like this?

Why the north is the most anti China? Maybe they are close to China, close neighbors always have issues due to any reason, while people usually don't have problem with far-distance countries or people, because they don't know much about them. Can I understand like this?

Ask the Viet members here to confirm. The southern Vietnamese are more business oriented, their first priority is making money. They care less about politics.

Northern Vietnamese care more about politics than the South. So they are sensitive to political issues, which means they can become extremely anti-China especially after the political skirmish in the SCS.

I don't think it is because they are direct neighbour to China. Because the few north Vietnamese living directly next to the border with China, they do alot of business with Chinese people so they also are not that anti-China.

The center of the anti-China population is in Hanoi, which is also the political center of VN.

That's why it's quite funny to read some PRC members still believing that north VN is pro-China and the CCP can win their heart again.

Ask the Viet members here to confirm. The southern Vietnamese are more business oriented, their first priority is making money. They care less about politics.

Northern Vietnamese care more about politics than the South. So they are sensitive to political issues, which means they can become extremely anti-China especially after the political skirmish in the SCS.

I don't think it is because they are direct neighbour to China. Because the few north Vietnamese living directly next to the border with China, they do alot of business with Chinese people so they also are not that anti-China.

The center of the anti-China population is in Hanoi, which is also the political center of VN.

That's why it's quite funny to read some PRC members still believing that north VN is pro-China and the CCP can win their heart again.

Get it. So this is political and macro situation. If it comes to any common people in daily life, I think the difference(north and south attitude) is not so obvious.

Never put all your eggs in one basket. :)

Is the guy from your avatar, you??

On the whole south china sea, doesn't matter if you are north, south, or oversea, they are pretty much have the same opinion. Unless of course, they are chinese vietnamese then they tend to not want to talk about it at all.

When we talk about Manado living in Jakarta, or Manado people in Java, it can be said that they are probably mix already. @Jakartans@PkDef (our member here) is a mix blood. He has Manado, Java, and Dutch blood. Ashanty (singer) can be said as Manado women, but she is actually a mix between Manado, Western blood, and Arab blood

Ashanty
efecfc58adef50e271826dc9fb39767c.jpg

Some region prefer spicy food, and some region dont. For instant, Central and East Java cuisine can be said as sweet than spicy. On the other hand, West Sumatra and West Java (Sundanese) people like spicy taste.

Minang Kabau language is so similar with Malay language, and very similar like Bahasa Indonesia. Betawi language ( local Jakarta people) is also a Malay language, every one who understand bahasa Indonesia can understand Betawi language so easily. It has become our national slang language as our celebrities use many of Betawi language on TV and Movie. On the other hand Javanese and Sundanese is not the same language. Honestly, I dont understand their language at all :lol:

Malay language from Riau island is the language that become our national language (bahasa Indonesia). Many Minang people live in Riau though, I dont know why, but Riau is near Singapore ( even first President of modern Singapore is a Minang Kabau descent ), so it can be said as a trader region in Sumatra, so many Minang people are there, and the region is also close to West Sumatra.

Very interesting bro. I never knew about the similarities of Betawi language with both Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Malay. You know I've mentioned this in another thread and it think that it was a shame that Malaysia was formed as a separate nation from Indonesia. In my opinion, Malaysia and Indonesia should have been merged into one Nation State. I actually , personally, supported the premise of Sukarno's premise of rejection towards the creation of the Federation of Malaysia, and I personally wish that the Konfrontasi was successful in Indonesia's favor. The British were not known for their post-colonial legacy, especially their policy of dividing states through ethnic lines. Malaysia should have been integrated within Indonesia.

The example of what happened in Pakistan and India is an example of poor and nefarious colonial decision making, especially by the western imperial powers.

Get it. So this is political and macro situation. If it comes to any common people in daily life, I think the difference(north and south attitude) is not so obvious.

When it comes to differences in daily life, the differences are trivial. The way they talk may be slightly different, or one may be more relaxed than the other. Like how Americans can differ from state to state. But this difference is trivial if you compare to the difference between an American and an Arab.

When it comes to "macro" situation, the North are more political and nationalistic. You can even see this in the US-VN war. Northerners still willing to fight when their cities were poor and destroyed, while in the South, some people were still busy working their business when war was raging on.

So it is very hard to divide VN into a pro-China and pro-US. The North are nationalistic and therefore will not be pro-China, and will fiercely be so. You can try win the hearts of the South by offering good trade deal, but the south are not so political, so they are not going to fight or lobby for China, especially when there is strong political oppositions from the north.

Very interesting bro. I never knew about the similarities of Betawi language with both Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Malay..

Riau people language is so similar with Malaysian language. Indonesian language is a modernized type of our Malay language (originated from Riau region). Malaysian is not focusing themselves to modernized their Malay language, instead they use English in their education system.

If you understand Malay language, it can be said that Malaysian one is quite funny heard. Indonesian's one is a more modernized type. Lee Kuan Yew speech ( during old time, before English is introduced there) is more similar with Indonesian language I dont know why, maybe Malay people in Singapore is more close to our people in Riau than to Malaysian Sabah island, or LKY prefers Indonesian national language since it looks like more modernized.

In the other hand, Negeri Sambilan state in Malaysia is surprisingly still use Minangkabau language than Malaysian version of Malay language.

Riau people language is so similar with Malaysian language. Indonesian language is a modernized type of our Malay language (originated from Riau region). Malaysian is not focusing themselves to modernized their Malay language, instead they use English in their education system.

If you understand Malay language, it can be said that Malaysian one is quite funny heard. Indonesian's one is a more modernized type. Lee Kuan Yew speech ( during old time, before English is introduced there) is more similar with Indonesian language I dont know why, maybe Malay people in Singapore is more close to our people in Riau than to Malaysian Sabah island, or LKY prefers Indonesian national language since it looks like more modernized.

In the other hand, Negeri Sambilan state in Malaysia is surprisingly still use Minangkabau language than Malaysian version of Malay language.

Interesting ! I guess the type of colonial governance really affected the Malaysians , preferring English as modicum of instruction than say Bahasa Malay. I guess, bro, there is truth in the saying that nationalization does affect the character of a people. If we examine the birth of Indonesia --- it was won through brute force and the Indonesian people had to defeat the Dutch in a bloody liberation war to secure it. Compared to the present day Malaysians; their independence was given to them by the British on a silver platter. They didn't have to fight for their independence unlike say the Javanese, Sundanese, Acehnese, etc.

Awww, its okay, bai @Indos ! We have to appreciate women whatever size. So long as she has a beautiful inner beauty :)

Beautiful !

bro @Indos ,

i want to try some traditional food from yogyakarta; i hear their cuisines are highly renowned in Indonesia.

gudeg-jogja.jpg
Yogyakarta is my favorite Place in Java Island..
Yogyakarta style in night life .. (angkringan) :lol:
Angkringan-Kopi-Joss.jpg

sejarah-angkringan2.jpg

_likman_00116032013164805.jpg

Best Holiday destination in Yogyakarta...:enjoy:
Borobudur Temple... (Buddhist Temple)

yogyakarta-borobudur-temple-2.jpg

Mark Zuckerbreg In Borobudur.
273106_mark-zuckerberg-di-borobudur_663_382.jpg

and Prambanan Temple (Hindus Temple)
Prambanan-10.jpg

Ramayana Festival with Prambanan Background...
Photo-14-06-14-21.24.29r1.jpg

:welcome:

Yogyakarta style in night life .. (angkringan) :lol:
Angkringan-Kopi-Joss.jpg

sejarah-angkringan2.jpg

_likman_00116032013164805.jpg

Best Holiday destination in Yogyakarta...:enjoy:
Borobudur Temple... (Buddhist Temple)

yogyakarta-borobudur-temple-2.jpg

Mark Zuckerbreg In Borobudur.
273106_mark-zuckerberg-di-borobudur_663_382.jpg

and Prambanan Temple (Hindus Temple)
Prambanan-10.jpg

Ramayana Festival with Prambanan Background...
Photo-14-06-14-21.24.29r1.jpg

:welcome:

Wanna visit Yogyakarta in the future, buddy. Indonesia is my next country to visit in Southeast Asia. And am slowly learning some basic Bahasa Indonesia.

Ive friends who've visited Yogyakarta and say the trip was amazing. :) :)

Where are you from originally? What part of Indonesia?

Interesting ! I guess the type of colonial governance really affected the Malaysians , preferring English as modicum of instruction than say Bahasa Malay. I guess, bro, there is truth in the saying that nationalization does affect the character of a people. If we examine the birth of Indonesia --- it was won through brute force and the Indonesian people had to defeat the Dutch in a bloody liberation war to secure it. Compared to the present day Malaysians; their independence was given to them by the British on a silver platter. They didn't have to fight for their independence unlike say the Javanese, Sundanese, Acehnese, etc.

That is correct.

Here is an article written by a Malaysian :

Indonesia’s language of unity
CERITALAH
BY KARIM RASLAN

Indonesia’s rapidly expanding economy will boost commercial importance of the Malay language, and Malaysian parents will start taking it more seriously.

INDONESIA’S rising strength will change the way many Malaysians view Bahasa Malaysia. At the moment, middle-class Malaysians tend to view Malay as a language with limited commercial value compared with English or Chinese.

However, as Indonesia transforms itself into an economic powerhouse, its language will become increasingly important globally. Malay will also benefit because it is the shared root for both Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Malaysia.

At the same time, the republic’s exploding consumer market of 240 million is tantalising. Global players are descending on Jakarta.

Recent investors range from Korea’s Lotte to Britain’s HSBC. Also, private equity group CVC has just purchased 90% of the national department store chain Matahari.

These investors know that in order to succeed in the domestic market, their managers must be able to understand the local language.

Ironically, then, Indonesia’s rapidly expanding economy will force middle-class Malaysians to wake up to the importance of Bahasa Indonesia, a language that literally binds the archipelago together.

I am confident that it will boost the commercial importance of the Malay language and that Malaysian parents will start taking it more seriously.

The economic potential, however, is only one aspect of this argument. A much more important lesson is socio-political.

Even though the two languages share the same root, they’ve developed in very different ways. This reflects the contrasting historical narratives at work.

Malaysians can learn a great deal from examining these differences.

Indeed, many of our underlying political problems are revealed in our attitude to the Malay language.

This in turn will help us understand why we are currently struggling as a nation.

Our politics has stunted the development of Malay language, and this is hurting us. For a start, Bahasa Malaysia is less vibrant, less intellectual and less creative than Bahasa Indonesia.

One only has to visit a Gramedia bookstore with all its translated books to realise the extent to which we have been left behind by our neighbours.

Bookstores in second-tier cities such as Jember and Pekanbaru have a better selection of books published in the vernacular than any bookstore in Kuala Lumpur.

Why? It’s because Bahasa Indonesia is very much the product of the republic’s revolutionary ethos. Sukarno’s flamboyant rhetoric is never far from the surface.

Furthermore, Indonesia’s struggle for Independence is etched in their national psyche. This imbues the language with a capacity for change and dynamism.

In Malaysia, the dominant ethos is aristocratic.

For better or for worse, our first Prime Minister, Tunku Abdul Rahman, embedded the elitism of the Istana firmly into our na-tional consciousness.

As a result, we are more feudal (consider our obsession with titles) while the Indonesians are more egalitarian. Witness our different words for government: pemerintah (Indonesia) and kerajaan (Malaysia).

This dichotomy is clear in the way the two languages have developed, and indeed diverged.

A landmark of Indonesia’s national awakening was the historic Sumpah Pemuda of Oct 28, 1928.

It also marked the first time Malay was formally promoted as Bahasa Indonesia – the language of unity.

Interestingly, the nationalist thinkers of the time chose not to use Javanese – the language of the largest community in the then-Dutch East Indies – despite its rich, centuries-old literary tradition.

Instead, they selected a language – Malay – that was used by many as a lingua franca but only spoken as a first language by a tiny minority of about 3% of the population.

In doing so, leaders such as Mohamad Yamin wanted a national language that would be an open system: accessible to all and value-free.

This would help bind together a disparate set of peoples: Christian, Muslim, Buddhist and Hindu. As such, the language had to be easy to learn, adaptable and open to external influences.

In addition, they wanted to avoid the caste-like strictures of Javanese in which a speaker’s social position was always of paramount importance.

These egalitarian principles were later expanded on by polymaths such as Sutan Takdir Alisjahbana, the essayist and academic, and Goenawan Mohamad, the founding editor of the news weekly Tempo.

Sadly, our language has developed in the opposite direction.

We have endeavored to make Bahasa Malaysia more Malay and less Malaysian. Our language has evolved into a closed system – shutting out non-Malays and non-Muslims alike.

Is it any wonder then that Bahasa Malaysia has failed to become a unifying force like Bahasa Indonesia?

If we want to move forward, we musn’t only leverage off Indonesia’s economic strengths. Their politics and society should be an example to us as well.

====

Anyway, Indonesian dessert made of Banana (native of South Sulawesi)

Pisang Ijo (lit: Green Banana)
ES-PISANG-IJO.jpg

es+pisangijo.JPG

+

Pisang Epe
P1070325.JPG

1251_Pisang_Epe_yang_ditaburi_coklat_keju_menjadi_pilihan_lain_dari_rasa_Pisang_Epe.jpg

Simple to make, banana (not too ripe) is pressed into a flat shape then grilled. A sauce made of palm sugar is poured on top when served. Modern variant adds cheese and chocolate.

++

Barongko
barongko.jpg

Mashed banana mixed with sugar, dried coconut or canary bean wrapped in banana leaf then steamed.

+++

Non banana :

Cucuru Bayao
Cucuru_bayao.jpg

Exhausting to make. Made of egg yolks, coconut, and lots of sugar. A very sweet snack. Only made for special occasion like weddings.

++++

Biji Nangka (lit: Jackfruit bean)
005.JPG

Made from potato, dried coconut, and sugar.

:enjoy:

Back
Top Bottom