What's new

China Dominates the World TOP500 Supercomputers

@cirr @AndrewJin

What is the future Chinese development track regarding HPC?

As far as the US is concerned, it has financed three 100-200 Petaflop machines by 2018, and then start work on Exascale, to be commissioned by 2023.

The only knowledge that I have is that China will upgrade Tianhe 2 to Tianhe 2A, anywhere between 100-200 Petaflops.

Of course there is the plan to reach Exascale by 2020, but I think US would lead in performance count, and may be even in top machine if China doesn't introduce one more machine above 100 Petaflops by 2018.

i recalled Mr HariPrasat tends to base hie confidence on some reports/news articles as gospel rather than facts.
for e.g he quoted an article by a chinese scientist who said china's satellite resolution was very much lagging that china had to import data. He actually quoted an outdated articles to prove his point.
Some of you remembered that?
He seems like lack of common sense.

@cirr @AndrewJin

What is the future Chinese development track regarding HPC?

As far as the US is concerned, it has financed three 100-200 Petaflop machines by 2018, and then start work on Exascale, to be commissioned by 2023.

The only knowledge that I have is that China will upgrade Tianhe 2 to Tianhe 2A, anywhere between 100-200 Petaflops.

Of course there is the plan to reach Exascale by 2020, but I think US would lead in performance count, and may be even in top machine if China doesn't introduce one more machine above 100 Petaflops by 2018.
Dunno, tag me when you wanna know more about HSR, expressways, etc.
I'm not into computers and stuff.

Sorry about the video...I posted in the wrong thread.

All the progress China is making is awesome but its on economy. We tend to hear very less on China's military progress. I mean, may be Chinese are not interested in their military build up just like of US and Russia. i know China is new player and will take time but that day will surely be a treat to watch when China will become as powerful as US in military tech and science. They have really made Asians proud.

All the best to China and its hardworking people. Your stuff speaks. :china:
Our military is very powerful,maybe you donot pay attention. We are facing 60% USA navy ,much more than the Russia face,but we still extend our frontline day by day.
But,today,Time is very important to us,we are upgrading the technology and expanding the economy,so we donot invent much money into military(budget only about 1.5% of GDP ). If we surpass the US in economy,we will transfer our technology and economy into military,our military will become very powerful easily.

Last edited:
Our military is very powerful,maybe you donot pay attention. We are facing 60% USA navy ,much more than the Russia face,but we still extend our frontline day by day.
But,today,Time is very important to us,we are upgrading the technology and expanding the economy,so we donot invent much money into military(budget only about 1.5% of GDP ). If we surpass the US in economy,we will transfer our technology and economy into military,our military will become very powerful easily.

I wish u guys good luck from sincerity of my heart.....

China’s New Supercomputer Puts the US Even Further Behind

The Sunway TaihuLight is indeed a monster: theoretical peak performance of 125 petaflops, 10,649,600 cores, and 1.31 petabytes of primary memory. That’s not just “big.” Former Indiana Pacers center Rik Smits is big. This is, like, mountain big. Jupiter big.

But TaihuLight’s abilities are matched only by the ambition that drove its creation. Fifteen years ago, China claimed zero of the top 500 supercomputers in the world. Today, it not only has more than everyone else—including the United States—but its best machine boasts speeds five times faster the best the US can muster. And, in a first, it achieves those speeds with purely China-made chips.

http://www.wired.com/2016/06/fastest-supercomputer-sunway-taihulight/

On that basis alone, TaihuLight is a singular accomplishment. Its 10.6 million cores are more than three times the previous leader, China’s Tianhe-2, and nearly 20 times the fastest U.S. supercomputer, Titan, at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. “It’s running very high rates of execution speed, very good efficiency, and very good power efficiency,” says University of Tennessee computer scientist Jack Dongarra. “It’s really quite impressive.”

Ohhhhh dear , I can understand your frustration. We have seen the same at the time of our successful mangal mission, at the time of our mini hubble launch and Astrosat, Experimental launch of our space shuttle etc. Preserve some energy for tomorrow. We are going to launch 22 satellite from single launch tomorrow. you will have a very bad time and requre a lots of energy to vent your frustration Just in next few days, we are going to test air breathing engine. In next few few years , atmospheric stages of our rockets will not require oxidisor. Its weight and length will reduced by 50% and launch cost shall be just fraction of what we have today which is already the cheapest. Prepare yourself for tomorrow.

/

Dear elite member, it is OK to admit you mistakenly boasted your goal by 1000 folds, and you would have earned the respect, at least from me. By listing up those "me-too" achievements proudly, you actually further embarrassed yourself in front of learned members of PDF.

We are happy for Indian's development, but none of those really amount to any degree of "frustration" to us. By thinking your petty success would somehow impact others in any significant way, you are showing a classic trait of certain people, overestimating your significance a little too much. :cheesy:

Telling people you are making $100 per day is a cute way to make argument. I do hope other elites in Indian society have better grasp of today's world, especially in science and tech front.

Last edited:
Dear elite member, it is OK to admit you mistakenly boasted your goal by 1000 folds, and you would have earned the respect, at least from me. By listing up those "me-too" achievements proudly, you actually further embarrassed yourself in front of learned members of PDF.

We are happy for Indian's development, but none of those really amount to any degree of "frustration" to us. By thinking your petty success would somehow impact others in any significant way, you are showing a classic trait of certain people, overestimating your significance a little too much. :cheesy:

Telling people you are making $100 per day is a cute way to make argument. I do hope other elites in Indian society have better grasp of today's world, especially in science and tech front.
Indian people:"we WILL make ******, and this stuff WILL be NO.1"
Chinese people:"we HAS made ***** which is NO.1 now,but we still have the risk of falling behind. so keep going."
we are very different people.

The US banned the use of Intel chips in China's supercomputers.

This is great for China and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. This forces China to develop and use its own indigenous chips. Also, other major countries are now thinking the same, it's better not to rely on US tech/chips. The US will ban the use of it when it suit them.

I wonder what else the US can do to China. The answer - not much.

Maybe, the US should ban the export of Boeing planes to China. Let's see if this will give a boost to the C919. :lol:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom