What's new

China Developing a Train That Will Run at 620 Miles Per Hour

Then surely you've seen the safety rates for commercial airlines and know that ejection seats don't always save lives. lol

Well, you know what. Airlines that promote the safety rate to you on the base of death per distance traveled, which airplane is the safest to travel. However by insurance calculations which is by per trip, airplane is the worst in safety record.

When measured on a passenger-distance calculation, air travel is the safest form of transportation available: these figures are the ones mentioned by the air industry when quoting statistics on air safety. A typical statement is this one by the BBC: "UK airline operations are among the safest anywhere. When compared against all other modes of transport on a fatality per mile basis air transport is the safest — six times safer than traveling by car and twice as safe as rail."[2]

However, when measured by fatalities per person transported, buses are the safest form of transportation and the number of air travel fatalities per person are surpassed only by bicycles and motorcycles. This statistic is the one used by the insurance industry when calculating insurance rates for air travel.[3]

For every billion kilometers traveled, trains have a fatality rate 12 times larger than air travel, while automobiles have a fatality rate 62 times larger. On the other hand, for every billion journeys, buses are the safest form of transportation. By the last measure air transportation is three times more dangerous than car transportation and almost 30 times more dangerous than bus
Aviation accidents and incidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, I will stick to my travel plan.

I can not wait for those to finish. I really really really hate flying.

I feel you. Unlike car crash there is almost no chance of survival if one of these commercial planes fell out of the sky, and aircraft crashed happens more often than you think. All it takes is one mistake in a list of procedures that the pilot and ground crew has to follow everyday that they became bored of it.

Approaches to auckland int. airport are always rough, the plane is still about 3000m at 16km or less away from airport and then they descend like crazy.

It's great that engineers are taking bold and fresh thoughts like this one. They have to make it secure and have back up systems if you have train going through the pipe at 1000km/h, the last thing you want is a pile up.

Good Luck China. May be they can sell them to India once we have money to pay for them. But I don't think 600kph is needed in India, not now any way. India should attempt to have some bullet trains by 2020. Right now, India is aiming to make air travel cheaper. Indian railways are stuck with our incompetent railway ministry. Until and unless we privatize railways, we cannot think of such advancements.

Last edited:
so what are my chances of dying each time i take a commercial flight :) ?

Here is a link to your chances when you take a commercial flight.

Air safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically per journey, you have 117/1,000,000,000 chance of dying. (only better than bicycles' 170, and motocycles' 1640)
Per traveled hour, you have 30.8/1,000,000,000 chance of dying.
(worse than buses' 11.1 and rail's 30)
Per kilometer traveled, you have 5/100,000,000,000 chance of dying, which is the best.

Last edited:
Here is a link to your chances when you take a commercial flight.

Air safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically per journey, you have 117/1,000,000,000 chance of dying. (only better than bicycles' 170, and motocycles' 1640)
Per traveled hour, you have 30.8/1,000,000,000 chance of dying.
(worse than buses' 11.1 and rail's 30)
Per kilometer traveled, you have 5/10,000,000 chance of dying, which is the best.

so a one in 10 million chance of dying scares you ? a crazy frequent flier might take 20000 flights in his lifetime or so. thats a 2/1000 chance of lights out due to flying. somrthing to think about.

i am not worried at all now :lol: i fly just a few round trips a year thats it.

so a one in 10 million chance of dying scares you ? a crazy frequent flier might take 20000 flights in his lifetime or so. thats a 2/1000 chance of lights out due to flying. somrthing to think about.

i am not worried at all now :lol: i fly just a few round trips a year thats it.

You can never be too careful, man. Until I can fly myself, I will try to stay on the ground unless there is no alternative.

great news indeed , china needs all the help its can get to maintain its economic growth. go china go

Actually I don't mind riding on those, because at least they have ejection seats and parachutes. It is the commercial airplane I don't feel comfortable with. Ironically, my major in college was aerospace engineering.

Yep I hate flying too, you always have this thought that if the plane goes down all the safety presentation well is moot heh. I suppose all you can do is make sure the airline isn't a dodgy one.

Well, you know what. Airlines that promote the safety rate to you on the base of death per distance traveled, which airplane is the safest to travel. However by insurance calculations which is by per trip, airplane is the worst in safety record.

Aviation accidents and incidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, I will stick to my travel plan.

Fair enough, I can understand how the airlines would promote death per mile stats over death per trip. That said I doubt I'll be taking the QE2 if I want to get across the pond. :cheers:

Yep I hate flying too, you always have this thought that if the plane goes down all the safety presentation well is moot heh. I suppose all you can do is make sure the airline isn't a dodgy one.

I did read of a couple of airliners crashing in the 80's because they were accidentally bought used part as new from some crooks who polished old parts and put on new bin numbers.

r u people crazy,just $ 3million more per km:woot:,this is going to b damn costly,i am not undermining ur success but what is the need of such a transport which will prove to much costly

Vaccum tube train concept was published in US magazine Popular Science more than a decade ago. China probably have more confidence than US in developing this concept into reality after they have successfully run the MAGLEV trains for many years in Shanghai.

All the best to China. At this time it doesn't seem a feasible concept to me.

China may surprise us all. If it manages to pull this off and make it affordable to its people, hats off to them.

Back
Top Bottom