What's new

China defence budget to double over 5 years

Don't believe every American military lobbyist looking for enemies to get more business. These are the same people who sometimes use PPP when estimating military budgets. Several years ago, some American agencies actually estimated that China's military spending was nearly $200 billion when it was closer to $60 billion at the time. If you applied these same guesstimates to today, the PPP military spending according to these "experts"...lol...would be around $300 billion! With these sorts of jokers in influential positions, is it any surprise why the US is constantly being embarrassed and making military blunders? It's amazing how Americans are so easily frightened into paying for wasteful military pork while protesting wasteful spending. It's hilarious yet disturbing.

Of course, you should take into account the differences in purchasing power when taking into account the defence spending between China and US.

Fact is that every dollar will equate to a lot more military power in China than in the US. The two main reasons is that Chinese military personell can be paid less than their US counterparts and also that equivalent equipment costs much less in China than in the US.

That 240 billion or so by 2015 will actually equate to around 400 billion dollars in US terms.

Of course, you should take into account the differences in purchasing power when taking into account the defence spending between China and US.

Fact is that every dollar will equate to a lot more military power in China than in the US. The two main reasons is that Chinese military personell can be paid less than their US counterparts and also that equivalent equipment costs much less in China than in the US.

That 240 billion or so by 2015 will actually equate to around 400 billion dollars in US terms.
The 2011 American military budget before expenditures on active war operations in Iraq and Afghanistan was a little over $500 billion USD$ dollars. That includes the ~1000 plus foreign bases, 10 aircraft carrier battle groups, mega-billion$ skunkworks secret projects, 3000+ 3rd-5th generation aircraft, 5000+ nuclear weapons, etc. In no way does China's military remotely compare to the US military in any way, except "maybe" for the army.

I still dispute the timeframe because I am 100% positive that the report was designed to stir fear and that is why it neglected to mention currency appreciation and inflation. In other words, if China has the projected 4-6% annual currency appreciation and 3-5% inflation, what it really means is, China's military budget will actually only increase around 10% annually in real terms.

So, I dispute a specific part of this report and it is the not so subtle suggestion that the US should not reduce it's military budget in the face of some sort of imminent Chinese military challenge when that is simply not the case. Otherwise, I actually agree with the nominal military budget estimate, but NOT the real military budget increase being suggested as 18.75% because the real effect will probably be closer to 10%.

Our economy target was 7 percent however been higher then that 8.5 is good for now it is set to increase. so no not sliding economy.

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

You got a statistical figure to show for that? Or is this your usual bullshit?

Usual bs....

The 2011 American military budget before expenditures on active war operations in Iraq and Afghanistan was a little over $500 billion USD$ dollars. That includes the ~1000 plus foreign bases, 10 aircraft carrier battle groups, mega-billion$ skunkworks secret projects, 3000+ 3rd-5th generation aircraft, 5000+ nuclear weapons, etc. In no way does China's military remotely compare to the US military in any way, except "maybe" for the army.

I still dispute the timeframe because I am 100% positive that the report was designed to stir fear and that is why it neglected to mention currency appreciation and inflation. In other words, if China has the projected 4-6% annual currency appreciation and 3-5% inflation, what it really means is, China's military budget will actually only increase around 10% annually in real terms.

So, I dispute a specific part of this report and it is the not so subtle suggestion that the US should not reduce it's military budget in the face of some sort of imminent Chinese military challenge when that is simply not the case. Otherwise, I actually agree with the nominal military budget estimate, but NOT the real military budget increase being suggested as 18.75% because the real effect will probably be closer to 10%.

It does not matter what the US wants to do.

All that matters is what US will have to do when it loses it's only superpower status.

Mark my words, within 10 years, China will spend hugely more(in real terms) on defence than the US.

It does not matter what the US wants to do.

All that matters is what US will have to do when it loses it's only superpower status.

Mark my words, within 10 years, China will spend hugely more(in real terms) on defence than the US.

China has to spend more because they have to take on Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan, etc.

China has every right to increase its expenditure on its defense forces with war mongering countries like the Americans sniffing around looking to steal resources:china:

Talk about Sliding economy
India in danger of losing BRIC status
myvidster.com/video/3673081/India_in_danger_of_losing_BRIC_status

Back
Top Bottom