What's new

China continues to produce more steel than the rest of the world, COMBINED

Quanzhou-Zhangzhou-Xiamen mega region probably is.
Xiamen-Fuzhou corridor is one of China's busiest.
A second Xiamen-Fuzhou HSR is being built.
Many projects there are financially supported by overseas Chinese.
Nearly every village has a school built by them.
@eldarlmari

View attachment 345408

Atually the entire coastline from Fuzhou in the north to Guangzhou in the south is 1 of China's most well-developed mega regions

Rise of China: Beautiful Night View of 11 Chinese Cities in 2 Minutes | 中国崛起: 2分钟看遍中国大陆11座城市的美丽夜景
As usual, not a single city from Central China is mentioned.....:frown:
@jkroo @cnleio @Chinese Bamboo

Atually the entire coastline from Fuzhou in the north to Guangzhou in the south is 1 of China's most well-developed mega regions
They need to build the second Xiamen-Shenzhen HSR ASAP....
The current corridor is overcrowded everyday.....
And cut from 3 hours into 2 hours.....

yes - the name already hints of the ultra Chinese-ness of all Chinese cities.
Wuhan is made up of formal 3 independent towns separated by River Han and Yangtze.
(Ironically, there is also a Han River in Seoul, formerly known as the Han City)
One of them is Wuchang, it means Military Prosperity, 2000 years.....

Last edited:
As usual, not a single city from Central China is mentioned.....:frown:
@jkroo @cnleio @Chinese Bamboo

They need to build the second Xiamen-Shenzhen HSR ASAP....
The current corridor is overcrowded everyday.....
There is an unhealthy tendency that the once dead coach
And cut from 3 hours into 2 hours.....

Wuhan is made up formal 3 independent towns.
One of them is Wuchang, it means Military Prosperity, 2000 years.....

Do Chinese travellers prefer to bring their own food for HSR trips or get the onboard catering (if any)? What is the system regarding that, what are your experiences/preferences on it and are there any good videos on the HSR food?

Do Chinese travellers prefer to bring their own food for HSR trips or get the onboard catering (if any)? What is the system regarding that, what are your experiences/preferences on it and are there any good videos on the HSR food?
It's up to travellers themselves to buy food on the train, buy food in the station or bring their own food.
Similar to any HSR system in the world.

China continues to produce more steel than the rest of the world, combined
David Scutt, Business Insider Australia
2st October 2016

View attachment 345391
Baogang Steel Industrial Co., Ltd.

China yet again produced more crude steel than the rest of the world (ROW) combined in September, according to new data from the World Steel Association released on Thursday.

Chinese output has now outpaced that in all other nations in six of the past seven months.

Approximately 132.9 million tonnes of crude steel was produced during the month, with China accounting for 68.2 million tonnes of that total.

World Steel reports that Chinese output was up 3.9% on the levels of a year earlier, helping to offset declines in other nations.

In the first nine months of the year, a total of 1.197 billion tonnes of crude steel has been produced worldwide, down 0.5% on the same period in 2015.

Over the same period, Chinese output stood at 603.8 million tonnes, an increase of 0.4%.

This chart from World Steel underlines that the small year-on-year increase in crude steel output seen in September was entirely driven by a re-acceleration in China.

View attachment 345387
The group notes that the countries included in the chart accounted for approximately 99% of total world crude steel production in 2015.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chin...l-than-the-rest-of-the-world-combined-2016-10
This is over capacity.. China should reduce the production..

Regarding steel prices:

If Company X can accept making making lesser profits for the same type of goods then company Z, why should the former be blamed for 'dumping' when the latter is the 1 that is incapable of adapting? Why cant the typical American worker working in a steelmill agree to having a $5/hr wage instead of a $10/hr one?

In other words, why should other countries's uncompetitiveness be blamed on China?

It's up to travellers themselves to buy food on the train, buy food in the station or bring their own food.
Similar to any HSR system in the world.

I found this video, he did not find the train food too good for the price:

I am gathering info right now, because I want to take a vacation in China next year hopefully combined with one of my somewhat frequent work trips to China (Chengdu). Normally I have no time to see and enjoy China on these (have to leave right away to do work someplace else in Asia and then go back to home)...but I think I can squeeze in a decent break next year.

Wuhan looks like a foodie haven, I think I will put it on the list. I will have to brush up on my basic mandarin I think, people always appreciate it when you can communicate with them in their own language.

I found this video, he did not find the train food too good for the price:

I am gathering info right now, because I want to take a vacation in China next year hopefully combined with one of my somewhat frequent work trips to China (Chengdu). Normally I have no time to see and enjoy China on these (have to leave right away to do work someplace else in Asia and then go back to home)...but I think I can squeeze in a decent break next year.

Wuhan looks like a foodie haven, I think I will put it on the list. I will have to brush up on my basic mandarin I think, people always appreciate it when you can communicate with them in their own language.
It's boxed meals, priced 10-40yuan.
I mostly buy food from within the station, you can choose from a variety of food after ID/security check before check-in.

@Nilgiri

Last edited:
It's boxed meals, priced 10-40yuan.
I mostly buy food from within the station, you can choose from a variety food after ID check before check-in.

@Nilgiri

Shenzhen already been long time back (grew up in HK and have visited a few times since that too), though I guess I will check it out to see how its changed sometime down the line for a Southern China + Yunnan trip originating in HK (which I still got my PR ID card yay!)

Right now I plan after done work in Chengdu, tour around Chengdu/Chongqing, then go to Xian, then Wuhan and then to Shanghai....with a few friendly work colleagues hopefully.

On a separate trip I will do northern China (Beijing etc). I don't think I have time to go every region in one trip. So "centre" next year, northern the year after that and then southern another year after that hopefully.

We will see how it goes. Thanks for the rail station videos, they will be helpful. I subbed to the channel.

To export one side need to order at an agreed price. US isthe most trade protectionist nation on earth. Any trade that does not favour them is automatic dumping according to them.

WTO just ruled that 13 US anti-dumping measures against Chinese products violated WTO rules.

"The report concludes that US anti-dumping measures against China are in violation of WTO rules in respect of targeted dumping (dumping of certain types of products, dumping margins, dumping rates, and discriminatory refusal to give separate rates to Chinese exporters)."

Except for the military industrial complex, there are no many industries that US still holds competitive edge over China.

Buddy, I just came across a quiz that said Xiamen is a world megacity now or very soon to be.

Is there anywhere posted on this forum about this city?

I am relatively well versed with the rest of the cities in China classified as world megacity.

Xiamen was a sleeping "frontier (facing KMT's Kimen Island)" island town of 280K back in 80's, and it is now a "big city" with 3 million, and it will be a "mega city" of 5 million in 5 years with 10 subway lines.

Wrong.
PRODUCTION: currently running at 800 million tonnes per year, has nothing to do with it.
INSTALLED CAPACITY: now at 1.2 billion tonnes per year, is the one to be trimmed down.
In 2016, the Chinese government aims to reduce steel production by 45 million tons and cut coal capacity by 250 million tons. But actually production increased by almost 3% up to date..
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lls-defy-calls-for-cuts-as-production-expands

China also plans to cut steel and coal capacity by about 10 percent, or by as much as 150 million tons of steel and 500 million tons of coal, in the next few years.

This is over capacity.. China should reduce the production.

You were wrong in confusing "over-capacity" with "production".

In 2016, the Chinese government aims to reduce steel production by 45 million tons and cut coal capacity by 250 million tons. But actually production increased by almost 3% up to date..
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lls-defy-calls-for-cuts-as-production-expands

China also plans to cut steel and coal capacity by about 10 percent, or by as much as 150 million tons of steel and 500 million tons of coal, in the next few years.

No government should have interfered with production in the very first place, it's a steel market thing. Such interference effort was also proven futile, as a matter of fact, production increases.

On capacity, it's entirely different picture. Installed capacity 1.2 billion, market running at 0.8 billion, obviously over-capacity. Supply Side Reform targets capacity, not production.

Last edited:
it's pretty obvious China has been dumping steel like crazy. me personal I'd buy up all that cheap steel and start building like crazy, but sadly it's not my call.

China builds a building then tears down the next day and repeats the process to keep growth going. It's pretty crazy
Wow, seem like CN steel industry is a very big bubble waiting to get busted.

You were wrong in confusing "over-capacity" with "production".

No government should have interfered with production in the very first place, it's a steel market thing. Such interference effort was also proven futile, as a matter of fact, production increases.

On capacity, it's entirely different picture. Installed capacity 1.2 billion, market running at 0.8 billion, obviously over-capacity. Supply Side Reform targets capacity, not production.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/china-faces-new-pressure-from-eu-to-curb-steel-overproduction-1472971334
China produced 466 million tons of steel in the first seven months of this year, or half the world’s total output, according to the Brussels-based World Steel Association. It cut production a marginal 0.5% from the year-earlier period, while the rest of the world cut output 1.2%.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom