What's new

China becomes an urban nation at breakneck speed

Götterdämmerung;2335518 said:
Google never managed to grasp the difficult German gramma and orthography.

Aber es wirkt Wunder für mich.

Maan, this is one of the things I've always admired about China. Other Indians and Americans can say whatever they want, call it a farce and all, but I think it's great how the Chinese actually try to make their country look beautiful. These cities are marvelous, the history is preserved with the utmost care, and the natural beauty is still awe-inspiring. Truly, China is a gifted country with gifted people. :toast_sign::china:

Maan, this is one of the things I've always admired about China. Other Indians and Americans can say whatever they want, call it a farce and all, but I think it's great how the Chinese actually try to make their country look beautiful. These cities are marvelous, the history is preserved with the utmost care, and the natural beauty is still awe-inspiring. Truly, China is a gifted country with gifted people. :toast_sign::china:

in our own country, alot of people think that its ugly, polluted, high crime, high pressure, not as good as suburban US life, before traveling overseas. Anyone who went to places like Los Angeles or Detroit immediately changes their mind about what "high crime", "polluted", "ugly" are.

in our own country, alot of people think that its ugly, polluted, high crime, high pressure, not as good as suburban US life, before traveling overseas. Anyone who went to places like Los Angeles or Detroit immediately changes their mind about what "high crime", "polluted", "ugly" are.

Well yeah, US suburban life IS great. It's quiet and all luxuries are available nearby. It's just really boring, too. lol
And I've heard Detroit is terrible, but I like LA, at least from what I've seen of it. And it's not that I don't admire US cities, either. I do, it just feels like we've given up over here. I live twenty minutes outside of Philadelphia. That city used to be so beautiful in the 90s, but now?? Hmmm..New York is still awesome, my favorite city.:yahoo:
I'm just saying, with Chinese cities, they feel so....futuristic. Everything from the roads to the buildings to the parks, it's all organized. Whenever I go back to India, I just feel like we can catch up a lot back there, too. Everything is unsystematic. And I know it's growing, but it just doesn't feel like it's going in the best direction.
In the US, we don't have the money or drive for these kind of cities, in India, we don't have the unified mindset. In China, you guys are set. lol
As far as Chinese thinking your cities are "polluted and ugly"...Man, chill with the high standards guys. lol

Well yeah, US suburban life IS great. It's quiet and all luxuries are available nearby. It's just really boring, too. lol
And I've heard Detroit is terrible, but I like LA, at least from what I've seen of it. And it's not that I don't admire US cities, either. I do, it just feels like we've given up over here. I live twenty minutes outside of Philadelphia. That city used to be so beautiful in the 90s, but now?? Hmmm..New York is still awesome, my favorite city.:yahoo:
I'm just saying, with Chinese cities, they feel so....futuristic. Everything from the roads to the buildings to the parks, it's all organized. Whenever I go back to India, I just feel like we can catch up a lot back there, too. Everything is unsystematic. And I know it's growing, but it just doesn't feel like it's going in the best direction.
In the US, we don't have the money or drive for these kind of cities, in India, we don't have the unified mindset. In China, you guys are set. lol
As far as Chinese thinking your cities are "polluted and ugly"...Man, chill with the high standards guys. lol

That's why I recommended everyone who thinks our cities are polluted and ugly to go to Detroit or Los Angeles, not as a tourist, but to live there on an average worker's wage. They don't know how good we have it. Our personal sacrifices were not in vain, since they produced a really nice environment.

I'm in L.A. and to be honest, it is like being imprisoned. You can't walk outside at night outside of campus if you don't want to be robbed or shot by thugs. So you have to drive, but driving takes fuel and you still might get robbed or shot. There are the suburbs, but they are so far away from the city center, and away from classes, and except for some high class places with expensive gated mansions and private security, they're still very dangerous and violent.

That's why I recommended everyone who thinks our cities are polluted and ugly to go to Detroit or Los Angeles, not as a tourist, but to live there on an average worker's wage. They don't know how good we have it. Our personal sacrifices were not in vain, since they produced a really nice environment.

I'm in L.A. and to be honest, it is like being imprisoned. You can't walk outside at night outside of campus if you don't want to be robbed or shot by thugs. So you have to drive, but driving takes fuel and you still might get robbed or shot. There are the suburbs, but they are so far away from the city center, and away from classes, and except for some high class places with expensive gated mansions and private security, they're still very dangerous and violent.

Honestly, that's every US city..You can't walk at night alone or carelessly. That's just inviting trouble. But I feel that's part of the culture here. Something people need to adapt to here. New York is the safest of the 25 biggest cities in the US, but to walk around there at night alone is still just utter silliness. Knowing how to act around and in regards to the locals can go a long way, trust me. I used to go to school in Camden (the "murder capital" here), and proper "street" behavior has helped me out of quite the sticky predicament. And I'm sure in some respects the same holds true to many Chinese cities, as well, no?

Is US that bad these days?

I use to stay in Pittsburgh during the 90s, it was beautiful, had the best time of my life there.

Has crime rate really gone that bad, how's Philadelphia now?

Yes, New York city is my favorite city in the world though.

Honestly, that's every US city..You can't walk at night alone or carelessly. That's just inviting trouble. But I feel that's part of the culture here. Something people need to adapt to here. New York is the safest of the 25 biggest cities in the US, but to walk around there at night alone is still just utter silliness. Knowing how to act around and in regards to the locals can go a long way, trust me. I used to go to school in Camden (the "murder capital" here), and proper "street" behavior has helped me out of quite the sticky predicament. And I'm sure in some respects the same holds true to many Chinese cities, as well, no?

I have been to China many times on business and the cities feel as safe as any cities in Europe, actually, even safer. You can just walk for hours with an expensive camera dangling around your neck through Shanghai, Beijing and other cities at night without even feeling unsafe. I even walk into the dark alleys to take pictures.

China to build new skyscraper every five days

China to build new skyscraper every five days. 44618.jpegIn 2011, China is to build 200 skyscrapers. The homeland of high-rise buildings - the United States of America - has 200 skyscrapers today. For the time being, the quantity of such buildings in China and in the States is identical. However, during the upcoming three years, China will take advantage of its overseas competitor. A new skyscraper will be appearing in China every five days.

Motiancity.com website made the list of Chinese cities where the number of skyscrapers is the largest. Hong Kong comes first on the list with 58 towers. Shanghai has 51, Shenzhen - 46. A half of world's ten tallest buildings is located in China and Taiwan. The world's second tallest tower is in Taipei, the third - in Shanghai, the fourth - in Hong Kong, the seventh - in Nanjing. The ninth tallest building is located in Guangzhou, straitstimes.com website reports with reference to Dongfang Daily.

The Chinese do not harbor plans to beat the record of Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest tower ever built. However, by 2015, China may become the home to the world's second and third tallest towers. The Shanghai Tower, the construction of which has not been completed yet, is expected to reach the height of 632 meters. The Greenland Center in Wuhan is to be 606 meters high.

China needs so many skyscrapers to meet the demand in residential and office property for millions of local citizens. The nation is expecting an influx of residents from rural areas to cities during the upcoming decades. There is also another reason for such ambitious plans: China intends to improve the prestige of smaller cities by building high-rise buildings there, The Telegraph wrote.

Is US that bad these days?

I use to stay in Pittsburgh during the 90s, it was beautiful, had the best time of my life there.

Has crime rate really gone that bad, how's Philadelphia now?

Yes, New York city is my favorite city in the world though.

Well, in certain parts of the US the crime rate has gotten worse since the 90s, whereas certain parts has gotten better. Like, back then, being in NY as a kid, it was crazy. My uncle would never let me leave his block. And being in Philly? I can say (for the most part) it lived up to its famous moniker. Now, however, I go up to NY by myself to chill with friends all the time, and I'm fine. However, in Philly, I SEE the degression. Crimes have happened in front of my eyes. The abundant gentrification in NYC, Boston, and North Jersey seems to be avoiding the more southern of the East Coast cities, (Philly, D.C., Baltimore)...:undecided:

Also, it seemed like Philly was a great alternative for jobs, living, and lifestyle to NY back them, but now, it's nowhere near that.

Götterdämmerung;2338452 said:
I have been to China many times on business and the cities feel as safe as any cities in Europe, actually, even safer. You can just walk for hours with an expensive camera dangling around your neck through Shanghai, Beijing and other cities at night without even feeling unsafe. I even walk into the dark alleys to take pictures.

Yeaaaaah, good luck doing that in ANY major city here in the States. lol

Well, in certain parts of the US the crime rate has gotten worse since the 90s, whereas certain parts has gotten better. Like, back then, being in NY as a kid, it was crazy. My uncle would never let me leave his block. And being in Philly? I can say (for the most part) it lived up to its famous moniker. Now, however, I go up to NY by myself to chill with friends all the time, and I'm fine. However, in Philly, I SEE the degression. Crimes have happened in front of my eyes. The abundant gentrification in NYC, Boston, and North Jersey seems to be avoiding the more southern of the East Coast cities, (Philly, D.C., Baltimore)...:undecided:

Also, it seemed like Philly was a great alternative for jobs, living, and lifestyle to NY back them, but now, it's nowhere near that.

Yeaaaaah, good luck doing that in ANY major city here in the States. lol

i just arrived in L.A. this summer, so I have no historical perspective, but I think it's worse than the Congo in some places like South Central LA. There's drawings all over the place with gang symbols, and the police send out a text warning students of robbery, rape, murder, etc. in progress every single day.

the problem is probably due to the economic degeneration.

Back
Top Bottom