What's new

China asks Obama not to meet Dalai Lama

Dance

Reaction score
BEIJING: China on Saturday asked US President Barack Obama to revoke his decision to meet the Dalai Lama and not to “interfere in Chinese internal affairs”, foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei said.

After the White House announced the meeting to be held Saturday, the ministry and the Chinese ambassador to the United States lodged a “solemn representation” against it, Hong said in a statement on the ministry’s website.

Beijing calls on Washington “to immediately revoke its decision to hold a meeting between Obama and the Dalai Lama” and to “honour its serious commitment that recognises Tibet as part of China”, the statement said.

“We are firmly opposed to any foreign politician meeting the Dalai Lama in any form whatsoever,” it said, warning the US administration against any action that “could harm US-Chinese relations”.

The White House made the announcement late Friday after a long silence on whether Obama would meet the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, who was to leave Saturday after an 11-day visit to Washington to lead thousands in a Buddhist meditation ritual.

The visit comes at a delicate moment in relations between the two Pacific powers, with rising tensions in the South China Sea between Beijing and five other countries in the region that also laid claim to strategic waters there.

The White House said Obama would “highlight his enduring support for dialogue between the Dalai Lama’s representatives and the Chinese government to resolve differences”.

The Dalai Lama, who enjoys wide popularity in the United States, has lived in exile since 1959. The Nobel Peace Prize winner, a declared pacifist, says he is peacefully seeking rights for Tibetans and accepts Chinese rule.

But Beijing insists that he is a “splittist” bent on dividing China and regularly protests his meetings overseas.

China asks Obama not to meet Dalai Lama | World | DAWN.COM

This is a good thing, it shows that China does not compromise on certain issues, the United States is no other way, just do some trouble to harass China, but we certainly need to remember the attitude of the United States in China's national sovereignty.

Really don't see why the President would meet this guy. Maybe someone from the State department ,tops. He is not a world leader, nor even represents that many people, like the Pope would.

Its the hollywood liberals that want Obama to meet him. Obama owe a lot to the libs so this could be a domestic political move for the 2012 election.

Hahaha, China desperately tries to make world leaders not meet the dalai lama. IT always fails.

World Leaders can meet whoever they want to meet and shouldn't be pressured by China not to just because they don't like the guy.

Hahaha, China desperately tries to make world leaders not meet the dalai lama. IT always fails.

World Leaders can meet whoever they want to meet and shouldn't be pressured by China not to just because they don't like the guy.

With respect, Your word is more ironic to other countries than China .

aymen from an indian. how come he never meets any delegation from the indian kashmir ?, may be kashmir is not disputed, but tibet is.

Actually, not one single national government on Earth, recognizes Tibetan independence. Including your own Indian government.

Whereas Kashmir is an internationally recognized dispute.

I give the Chinese guys a lot of flak on this forum, but it is wierd that world leaders meet this guy. He is not that important (except as a pawn to iritate with) Even if I was was one of those "free Tibet" people, I wouldn't wish that feudal lord over them.

I give the Chinese guys a lot of flak on this forum, but it is wierd that world leaders meet this guy. He is not that important (except as a pawn to iritate with) Even if I was was one of those "free Tibet" people, I wouldn't wish that feudal lord over them.

"free Tibet" people? those who merely tools, including DL LM, when some countries feel strong pressure from China, and some tools will begin to be used. These moves will not have any impact, except for some small face, of course, because it move, the Chinese people will be more anti-Western, that is certain.

Actually, not one single national government on Earth, recognizes Tibetan independence. Including your own Indian government.
And if there are enough who do recognize, would the PRC concede?

Whereas Kashmir is an internationally recognized dispute.
What does that mean? No different than -- Tibet is an internationally recognized dispute.

If he is so unimportant, then why a Giant nation making all the fuss about????

Here you got the answer

Obama set to meet Dalai Lama

lol @ cry babies..

This is a good thing, it shows that China does not compromise on certain issues, the United States is no other way, just do some trouble to harass China, but we certainly need to remember the attitude of the United States in China's national sovereignty.
That is something to be happy things, the U.S. economy to a critical moment, such a move shows that China is not big concessions, the United States was not satisfied with it, very well, China has a strong position in own interests.

Back
Top Bottom