What's new

China and Pakistan sign 19 agreements worth $42 billion

Kabira

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
“The deals being signed between China and Pakistan are worth $42 billion. The whole investment is being made by China,” said Amir Zamir, the spokesman for Pakistan’s ministry of planning and development. “There is no loan or aid for the energy projects, but pure investment by the Chinese,” he told AFP.

List of agreements signed
1. Economic and Technical Cooperation Agreement
2. Framework agreement for concessional loan
3. Minutes of 3rd JCC of China-Pakistan Economic Corridor
4. MoU on outline of Long-Term CPEC Plan
5. MoU on capacity building for development of CPEC
6. Agreement on CPEC energy projects cooperation
7. Loan for cross-border fiber-optic system
8. MoU on surface mine in Thar Coal Field Block-II/ Engro-Thar Power Plant
9. Agreement on Suki-Kinari Hydro Power Project
10. Agreement on Muzaffargarh Coal Power Project
11. MOA on Coal Power Project at Qadarabad
12. UEP Power Project EPC Framework Agreement
13. Quaid-e-Azam Solar Energy Park
14. Implement Agreement on Dawood Wind Farm
15. EPC Agreement on open pit mine in Thar Block I
16. Coal supply contract for power plant in Thar Block I
17. MoU for thermal power assets in Pakistan
18. Agreement on Ruyi-Masood Textile Industrial Park
19. MoU on Coal Power Plant in Port Qasim
Published in The Express Tribune, November 9th, 2014.

Investment feast: PM bags 19 China deals – The Express Tribune

The most important tidbit for Pakistani people:

"The prime ministers of the two countries oversaw the signing of the agreements that pave way for Chinese state-owned companies to help build at least four new power stations in Pakistan, while the deals also cover the supply and mining of coal, the prime minister’s press office said."

Great news all around. :pakistan::china:

i would take this news with a grain of salt....there are no agreements but MOU's which means there is a common understanding on certain issues.....why would China (a close and great friend indeed) sign off on 42B without getting anything in return?. what has PK to offer?

The most important tidbit for Pakistani people:

"The prime ministers of the two countries oversaw the signing of the agreements that pave way for Chinese state-owned companies to help build at least four new power stations in Pakistan, while the deals also cover the supply and mining of coal, the prime minister’s press office said."

Great news all around. :pakistan::china:

It is rather concerning because there are enough Pakistani companies with expertise in building power plants. IF they can build it here in Saudi we can sure build it there in Pakistan too. The country is just turning to an economic colony by excess borrowing. The same tactic used by the British to occupy India may be reborn in China someday.

It is rather concerning because there are enough Pakistani companies with expertise in building power plants. IF they can build it here in Saudi we can sure build it there in Pakistan too. The country is just turning to an economic colony by excess borrowing. The same tactic used by the British to occupy India may be reborn in China someday.
Investment from outside country into Pakistan is concerning for you?

Whats for china in return?

27% return on investment which GOP committed to China. Probably Highest return on investment in the world after return obtained from narcotic business :)

Please check below discussion after 38.20 min. They are telling its not investment but a long term loan which Pakistanis will have to repay through generations--

Fate of such power plant MoU in past history

Similar situation happened in India for Enron Power plant. The fuel for Enron power plant was Naptha( imported Petroleum product). Maharashtra Govt agreed to buy power from Enron @Rs5 when normal power tariff was Rs. 2-3 (1990s). When the power plant installed, Naptha price went up due to ME war. Even Rs5/unit price was unviable for Enron and wanted to hike price. Maharashtra Gvt refused. The Power plant never actually started operation. Later American Energy giant Enron Bankrupt and seized to exist. The state of art power plant in India was dismantled and sold @ scrap price. So please be sure before jumping.

We studied Enron project in our MBA class in late 90's
Dabhol Power Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am sure that Chinese companies will keep adequate protection for their investment and return in the contract learning from Enron case. Hope Pakistani side also put adequate protection in the contract for the protection of your nation's interest

Last edited:
27% return on investment which GOP committed to China. Probably Highest return on investment in the world :)

Please check below discussion after 38.20 min. They are telling its not investment but a long term loan which Pakistanis will have to repay through generations--

Thanks!

Good development but to finish these projects on time specially Thar Coal will be a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom