What's new

China agrees to import rice from 17 mills in India

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen some of this food in Indian restaurants in Hong Kong.

I really like the "biryani" and the "tandoori chicken". I think the bottom picture is tandoori chicken?

I also like this "ghee" thing, and anything made with lentils.
LOL am hungry now man. And yes it's tandoori. U come to India bro real Indian dishes are made with perfect blend to save you stomach from getting upset. It's called pongal very simple non spicy food for everyday or thrice a week food. Goes well with nicely done Coconut Chutney. Prefer one spoon if you don't want to eat in hand. I too does that lots of time. Smell of ghee, rice lentils grean leaves, pinch of salt and pepper and turmeric made it fabulous

Indian rice is not supposed to be eaten with chopsticks. You either use a spoon or use your hands :D I prefer spoon. Anyway try Indian Basmati rice with butter chicken. It is the best.

Last edited:
Ohh, damn, don't describe the details. I have no problem eating rice balls with hands, but I can't stand squeezing rice, sauce, meat, even soup together with hands...

See bro this is how I eat biriyani.

Dishes : Mutton Biriyani, gravy, tandoori chicken

I wash my hand, fold my shirts, and get ready for experience of my life time. Pour some gray in biriyani plat closr to me, pice nice tender mutton piece, cut some egg and mix together. And take some part of it on to my three to four fingers with support from thumb. Move it closer to my mouth and push in Delightful Biriyani with my thumb to my mouth. Then a nice bite of green chutney diped tandoori chicken. Slurpppppp :p::yahoo:

Check this video my friends. I know it's hard to eat Indian way...

In first video this dude made a simple error of not keeping the rice plate closer and then keep the small dishes surrounding it.

But the second one this dude nailed it.

@liall @AndrewJin @greenwood

LOL am hungry now man. And yes it's tandoori. U come to India bro real Indian dishes are made with perfect blend to save you stomach from getting upset. It's called pongal very simple non spicy food for everyday or thrice a week food. Goes well with nicely done Coconut Chutney. Prefer one spoon if you don't want to eat in hand. I too does that lots of time. Smell of ghee, rice lentils grean leaves, pinch of salt and pepper and turmeric made it fabulous

Lentils are awesome. I even had some crisps made of lentils once.

It's almost like our Tofu.

And Ghee is something I really want to learn to make for myself. Just the idea sounds amazing.

My friend bought me some Mango Chutney once, I was afraid to try it at first, but now I'm almost addicted to it. I put it on lamb, etc. I don't know? But it's freaking awesome.

That's fine.

But in East Asia we use chopsticks. So the rice has to be sticky, otherwise we'll have to pick it up one or two grains at a time and it will take hours to eat anything.

I found that if you put in a lot of sauce/curry, and use a round bowl (not those banana leaves) then you can scoop it fairly well using chopsticks.

I mainly use hands to eat rice :enjoy:

On topic
Hopefully more Imports from India & greater Chinese FDI in India will make way for sustainable trade between the 2 countries

Yes, using proper cutlery is a sign of progress of civilisation.

Interesting how you measure the progress of a civilisation

These kinds of food will never be popular in Mainland China.
We in a 10 million-people city, only have one authentic indian restaurant which is nearly empty all the time, the most unwelcome restaurant in IKEA Mall which has several hundred restaurants of all kinds of food from around the world.

If you can read Chinese, check people's online reviews of that restaurant, the number one theme is "diarrhoea' and "petition for thorough health check of the foreign chefs".

LMAO....
I can't eat shit-like food.
Yes, using proper cutlery is a sign of progress of civilisation.
Its a culture issue mainly.
Majority of Indians think eating 'dogs' and 'eyes' and 'insects' , 'ducks feet', etc like in China is barbaric and opposite of progress of civilization.

It goes away slowly the more you get educated and exposed to different cultures and their social mores. So if you think that using cutlery is a sign of progress of civilization, you are evidently not in the above category.

Last edited:

And Ghee is something I really want to learn to make for myself. Just the idea sounds amazing.

My friend bought me some Mango Chutney once, I was afraid to try it at first, but now I'm almost addicted to it. I put it on lamb, etc. I don't know? But it's freaking awesome.
Wait I will find some good recipes for ghee. U can make at hope. It's made outta butter

Ghee by OPOS
OPOS Ghee "Golden Goddess" ! - "Only 9 mins Ma!!"

Very Important - PLEASE NOTICE THE DIFFERENT SHADES OF GHEE AND REFER TO MY NOTES AT THE BOTTOM!!!

Isn't she beautiful guys?!?! She just stole my heart and I can't stop staring at her even though I told everyone that I'm straight...

Now, let me come back to earth...

Don't you feel awesome when you can make things at home with minimal time, effort, cost and taste far better than what you get from store?? You can proudly say that u OWN this product and it's YOUR piece of art!

We did OPOS Paneer and now, it's time to make our THE "Royal oil" of India, OPOS Ghee! My food, my way so I"m naming her as THE "Golden Goddess"!

Ingredients:
- Block of unsalted butter at ROOM temperature (I used: 12%, 454 g (1lb))
- Few curry leaves (I used 5 curry leaves)

Method:
- Place all in a 2L SS PC and cook it in med-low flame (#7, Elec. stove) for 9 mins with weight.
- Remove it exactly when your pressure-release valve starts to make a hissing noise bit louder than the 1st hiss u heard. It took 9 mins (8:57 to be exact).
- DON'T wait for the whistle and please DON't panic!

How to get DIFFERENT shades: (Optional)
- The above procedure is standard one to get a perfect aromatic and tastier ghee but if you like to have different shades:
- Once the pressure is released completely, cook it in an open PC in low flame or simmer until it reaches the shade you prefer. It will caramelize so Keep an eye on it and Don't let it burn! (Refer to my Golden bronze color ghee picture)

TIPS/ Observations & Taste:
- Important!! - Make sure that the butter is in the ROOM temperature. If you take it out from the fridge, please let it stand on the counter for few mins or hrs to reach the room temperature.
- Since i didn't wait for the whistle, no oil spills or any danger!
- Please DON'T put your face close to the PC to hear the hissing noise or to smell the aroma or to check if it's leaving any burning smell.
- No burning at all.
- Curry leaves remove the butter taste and make the ghee more flavorful and aromatic.
- Little sediment was accumulated at the bottom so filter the ghee slowly. (Please refer to the SBS collage picture). It's OK if you got bit of it when you filter, it will get settle at the bottom. If you're a perfectionist like me and want to get 100% sediment-free ghee, filter it again... haha..
- My gorgeous Golden yellow is the standard one and no compromise in taste or aroma. House is filled with fresh ghee aroma!
- 454g (1lb) 12% butter yielded exactly 330ml of ghee which will cost me a fortune if i want to buy it here and also an extra trip to Indian grocery store just for that. Small bottle of ghee is $6-7 here but i spent only $2.50 for a block of butter which gave me more than a cup of fresh homemade ghee!!! Yay!!!!!
- My gorgeous Golden bronze has an excellent taste and aroma also but the quantity was little less than my yellow one due to the extra caramelize process.

To be honest, I was kind of debating in my mind if my 1st trial yellow ghee is successful or not since most of the ghee pictures that i saw online are golden bronze. My mom was constantly encouraging me to post this because she finds it so perfect based on the taste, color and aroma.The ghee we get here are yellow creamy ones only so thanks to her for giving me the confidence to share this with you guys. I got the golden bronze color in my 2nd trial using caramelize process.

For sure i made my mom very happy since i saved her few extra bucks and mainly, no more last minute bugging to get me the gee from Indian grocery store whether it's rain or snow... She is very impressed that it was done in OPOS way and so simple. "Only 9 mins ma!!"

You got to try this to experience what i felt and to surprise everyone at home....

PC means Pressure Cooker. One whistle means one pressure release. OPOS - One Pot One Shot cooking. Made my well know food industrialist called Rama Krishnan from Tamil Nadu. U can Google OPOS recipes in Google for good Indian recipes. Made easy while cooking in cooker

It is the oily part of milk- You can take out ghee from butter also-

Must be green mango(unripe)- Its pickle is also good-

The type of rice that Indians eat is not the same type of rice that we eat.

Unless they are specifically growing our type of rice to export to us.

Indian rice is much harder to use with chopsticks because they do not stick together as much as our ones do. Don't you wonder why Indians use spoons/hands to eat rice, you can't pick up lumps of Indian rice with chopsticks, it will fall apart. Just try going to any Indian restaurant and using chopsticks.

Both type is grown- Actually rice is the same- What rice eating Indians generally from east do is- they cook the paddy and then rice is take out once its ready- that kind of rice doesn't stick and is easier to store for long period- Generally in North non-cooked rice is preferred which is directly taken out from paddy- Such rice sticks after cooking- and is ready faster- I am not sure about South I think they also prefer non-cooked rice-

Rice production has been very good this year- there has been a great harvest after long time-

I don't think it's so bad. I might try it myself one day.

Just gotta make sure to use the right hand, never the left hand or I'll cause a cultural crisis. :P

Spoon is okay- North Indians also don't know how to eat rice with hands- they use spoons- But by using the spoon you won't be able to mix the gravy and flesh properly in rice and miss the real taste- Those who try for 1st time do it messy and spill food like kids-

Our cuisine is different from Southeast Asian.

Biryani is something you can have according to your tastes- even in India different regions have different biryani- I have seen half a dozen types of biryani in Delhi Itself- So It won't be long you have Chinese type biryani- or perhaps such a thing already exists-

I hope this will help Indian administration to clearly understand that the normal bilateral trading is good for both.
We get what we want, they get what they need.

That sounds good. Is there a name for this type of rice?

If you don't use spoons, do you use your hands?

I'm interested to try eating like this. I've been to Indian restaurants in Hong Kong, but they always give us spoons to eat with. Doesn't seem as authentic.

If I try cooking with Indian rice again I could try the hand squeezing method described by another member above. Though the curry we use is also quite different from South Asian curry, in China our curry is closer to the Southeast Asian type of curry.

It can be any type, differs on the method of how its prepared from rice grains. Theoretically even basmati can be prepared in that way but it will loose it all aroma.

The type of rice that Indians eat is not the same type of rice that we eat.

Unless they are specifically growing our type of rice to export to us.

Indian rice is much harder to use with chopsticks because they do not stick together as much as our ones do. Don't you wonder why Indians use spoons/hands to eat rice, you can't pick up lumps of Indian rice with chopsticks, it will fall apart. Just try going to any Indian restaurant and using chopsticks.

Just eat it by holding the bowl to your mouth and shovel it in with the chop sticks.

I do that all the time.

Please provide a picture... You are great.

I also like this "ghee" thing, and anything made with lentils.
Something from my region, perhaps...
35krgj9.jpg

Served hot and with a generous helping of "Shuddh Desi Ghee"...
http://indianhealthyrecipes.com/bisi-bele-bath/

Just eat it by holding the bowl to your mouth and shovel it in with the chop sticks.

I do that all the time.

Yes that's the correct way to eat rice from a bowl. But if the rice is not sticky the grains still fly all over the place, I've tried it many times.

Need to add a lot of sauce/curry to stop this from happening, to get the grains to stick together more.

Philippines use Hands like Indians does if am not wrong. Chopsticks is a Japanese tradition later dominated Asian countries as well.

All Filipinos I know in the US use spoon and fork at the same time. I haven't seen any Filipinos use their fingers to eat.

Something from my region, perhaps...
35krgj9.jpg

Served hot and with a generous helping of "Shuddh Desi Ghee"...
http://indianhealthyrecipes.com/bisi-bele-bath/

How to you eat this dish with fingers? It much be messy.

Kinda wondering if there is a connection between China's easy absorption of foreign cultures and their non-restrictive way of diet. There is no food taboo in East Asia as I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom