What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

Indeed. Loss of Mayor Annisul Huq will be felt. His initiatives were remarkable and at least genuine attempt was there.

No idea what will happen to some of his vital initiatives such as the Bus Transit with under 6 holding companies. Knowing Bangladeshi nature, they will try best to undo all the good work done by him.

@WAJsal @waz @The Eagle

I have no idea who is currently the in-charge of this sub-forum or if there is any. The ongoing moderation in this sub-forum has been extremely poor and there seem to be, perhaps unintentional, but a visible bias against Bangladeshis. A lot of Bangladeshis have been banned and many Bangladeshi posts are getting deleted while the Indian trolls and their flame-baiting posts are being left untouched despite being reported. I don't know the exact policy behind this but this has clearly resulted in a reduced activity of this sub-forum with many Bangladeshi posters losing their interest to involve here because of the Indian trolls. This is not the first time I'm saying this, neither I'm the only one here who have such observation. This has been a perennial issue in this sub-forum and I guess a lot of members here would agree with me. I hope this time it would get serious consideration from you.

@WAJsal @waz @The Eagle

I have no idea who is currently the in-charge of this sub-forum or if there is any. The ongoing moderation in this sub-forum has been extremely poor and there seem to be, perhaps unintentional, but a visible bias against Bangladeshis. A lot of Bangladeshis have been banned and many Bangladeshi posts are getting deleted while the Indian trolls and their flame-baiting posts are being left untouched despite being reported. I don't know the exact policy behind this but this has clearly resulted in a reduced activity of this sub-forum with many Bangladeshi posters losing their interest to involve here because of the Indian trolls. This is not the first time I'm saying this, neither I'm the only one here who have such observation. This has been a perennial issue in this sub-forum and I guess a lot of members here would agree with me. I hope this time it would get serious consideration from you.

If you may go through few posts of my own, even in this thread, there is no such thing as bias or partiality at all. What our esteemed members do not understand, is that need to report posts that violates the rule and DO NOT QUOTE BACK OR REPLY IN KIND which actually gives a lifeline to trolls. I repeat, report such posts without quoting back or replying in kind and move on that Mod(s) will take care of the same accordingly.

Members need to play their role for betterment. Actions taken against any member, no matter which nationality, are based upon violation of rules.

Regards,

If you may go through few posts of my own, even in this thread, there is no such thing as bias or partiality at all. What our esteemed members do not understand, is that need to report posts that violates the rule and DO NOT QUOTE BACK OR REPLY IN KIND which actually gives a lifeline to trolls. I repeat, report such posts without quoting back or replying in kind and move on that Mod(s) will take care of the same accordingly.

Members need to play their role for betterment. Actions taken against any member, no matter which nationality, are based upon violation of rules.

Regards,

That's thing I mentioned, despite having reported, those Indian trolls are getting away with it. And when Bangladeshis reply with a similar tone, it either gets deleted or the poster will get banned but the Indians and their posts are left untouched. That's where the bias comes in. I'm currently referring to these threads: 1, 2, 3

That's thing I mentioned, despite having reported, those Indian trolls are getting away with it. And when Bangladeshis reply with a similar tone, it either gets deleted or the poster will get banned but the Indians and their posts are left untouched. That's where the bias comes in. I'm currently referring to these threads: 1, 2, 3

Don't you think the one who instigates and the other who feds, need to be dealt in same manner. If anyone is replying in the same manner, both are violating rules and will be dealt without any difference. Also, difference of opinion does not mean trolling at all. Furthermore, the reporting option is not to mute other side voice but it says that where a post/member violates the Forum Rules will be dealt accordingly. Before calling xyz a bias, the one has to come clean in this regard. Long cut short, members have to use report button rather than being part of any violation and see the results.

Regards,

Don't you think the one who instigates and the other who feds, need to be dealt in same manner. If anyone is replying in the same manner, both are violating rules and will be dealt without any difference. Also, difference of opinion does not mean trolling at all. Furthermore, the reporting option is not to mute other side voice but it says that where a post/member violates the Forum Rules will be dealt accordingly. Before calling xyz a bias, the one has to come clean in this regard. Long cut short, members have to use report button rather than being part of any violation and see the results.

Regards,

Yes, both should be dealt in the same manner, and that's what I argued that the Indian trolls should face the same consequences as we are facing. And I can see some threads being cleaned now, including my own posts. I would like to thank you for that.

Also, nobody here is calling the difference of opinions as trolls. Rather the typical troll posts here contain derailments with irrelevant stats, bringing 71 in every topic or cheap sarcasms or namecallings or more recently an idiotic attempt to provoke by deliberately distorting the spelling of Bangladesh (if anybody is having difficulty to spell it, they could simply write 'BD').

Last edited:

Regards,

Certainly. You are correct in that regard. But what you are stating is not really getting reflected in ground. The opposite party (Indians/Pakistanis or whoever) mostly have their provoking posts retained. I can give tons of example as such. So are you really confident that both parties are being dealt with no difference?

Secondly, I reckon it is mandatory to spell a country's name properly. I can quote you tons of posts again where Bangladesh has been spelled offensively or deliberately in a wrong fashion and on a continuing basis. No such moderation was done in that regard. I've tagged mods in such posts in addition to reporting them, and yet, no response. But would not be the case if say was Pakistan spelled offensively, don't you think?

Voicing an opinion and trolling/insulting under that pretext has a very thin line and I reckon mods identify that very well. If you do, then please take actions. I am a very old member here around the time when Taimikhan, Blain2 and Adios Amigo were active mods and I recollect they did a fantastic job in this sub-forum back then. Regardless, I'd like to appreciate your efforts in advance for cutting down this unfavorable atmosphere around here.

Regards.

Certainly. You are correct in that regard. But what you are stating is not really getting reflected in ground. The opposite party (Indians/Pakistanis or whoever) mostly have their provoking posts retained. I can give tons of example as such. So are you really confident that both parties are being dealt with no difference?

Secondly, I reckon it is mandatory to spell a country's name properly. I can quote you tons of posts again where Bangladesh has been spelled offensively or deliberately in a wrong fashion and on a continuing basis. No such moderation was done in that regard. I've tagged mods in such posts in addition to reporting them, and yet, no response. But would not be the case if say was Pakistan spelled offensively, don't you think?

Voicing an opinion and trolling/insulting under that pretext has a very thin line and I reckon mods identify that very well. If you do, then please take actions. I am a very old member here around the time when Taimikhan, Blain2 and Adios Amigo were active mods and I recollect they did a fantastic job in this sub-forum back then. Regardless, I'd like to appreciate your efforts in advance for cutting down this unfavorable atmosphere around here.

Regards.

I have been very short and precise w.r.t. dealing with trolls. We can go in round and rounds for many days while looking at only side of the coin. However, how about to start doing the right thing in first place, not to be the part of such conversation and see the change. I can read, see and observe that almost every party in involved in such type of posting from time to time and at different locations. Mod(s) cannot read each and every post of this forum as there are thousands of activities in a single day. To make it possible, lest not be the part of mud slinging in first place and bring change as such as I stated to our friend above, report such issues as the same will help a lot.

Regards,

I have been very short and precise w.r.t. dealing with trolls. We can go in round and rounds for many days while looking at only side of the coin. However, how about to start doing the right thing in first place, not to be the part of such conversation and see the change. I can read, see and observe that almost every party in involved in such type of posting from time to time and at different locations. Mod(s) cannot read each and every post of this forum as there are thousands of activities in a single day. To make it possible, lest not be the part of mud slinging in first place and bring change as such as I stated to our friend above, report such issues as the same will help a lot.

Regards,

Yes I understand your point. Thanks for reading up.

@Bilal9 @TopCat @PersonasNonGrata @Homo Sapiens @BDforever @Mage @Russell @Species @Dot @idune @mb444 @Khan saheb and other BD members (please tag if I have forgotten) - you should read this post and the ones above it. Please do your part if you really wish to keep the debates clean.

A special request to @bluesky and @UKBengali - With due respect, please avoid tagging members you know will spoil the threads with trolling and provocations. I am afraid you both have done it a lot in the past and still continue to do it, in spite of realizing the consequences. Lets try to not engage and expect the changes we wish to see as the Mods have explained.

Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Yes I understand your point. Thanks for reading up.

@Bilal9 @TopCat @PersonasNonGrata @Homo Sapiens @BDforever @Mage @Russell @Species @Dot @idune @mb444 @Khan saheb and other BD members (please tag if I have forgotten) - you should read this post and the ones above it. Please do your part if you really wish to keep the debates clean.

A special request to @bluesky and @UKBengali - With due respect, please avoid tagging members you know will spoil the threads with trolling and provocations. I am afraid you both have done it a lot in the past and still continue to do it, in spite of realizing the consequences. Lets try to not engage and expect the changes we wish to see as the Mods have explained.

Thanks to all.

Thank you and @Species for raising this issue formally with mods.

We've all been trying to ignore the imbeciles but it's good to record the complaint for future reference.

Tbh, the mods don't seem interested... And maybe we shouldn't expect anything from them.

Let people underestimate BD, but we must keep our discussions productive and continue the excellent contributions. Our natural, decent demeanour will only highlight the crassness of trolls and their nations.

Thank you and @Species for raising this issue formally with mods.

We've all been trying to ignore the imbeciles but it's good to record the complaint for future reference.

Tbh, the mods don't seem interested... And maybe we shouldn't expect anything from them.

Let people underestimate BD, but we must keep our discussions productive and continue the excellent contributions. Our natural, decent demeanour will only highlight the crassness of trolls and their nations.

You're welcome. I think its my duty given a very old member of this sub-forum. Its unfortunate to see the potential of this section going down the drain.

Though it is hard, I suggest we do our part. The Mod has a point tbf. Our members do often respond in kind and that makes it a level playing field and their moderation more difficult. So I understand where he is coming from. So its simply the best option to not reply to trolls or tag them regarding anything. In that way, we have stronger basis of argument if actions are not taken.

And finally, most BD members here are actually quite patient and well-behaved. We need to keep that up and maintain our standards. Dogs bark and mosquitoes bite, doesnt mean you bark or bite them back.

Watch these two videos about this guy who helped rescue kidnapped woman-slave with kids about three years ago. Pretty funny. They made his comments into an autotune song.

Here's another one...

A city in mourning
Dhaka loses a promising mayor
http://www.thedailystar.net/editorial/city-mourning-1499143

Truly Sad. I am sure someone posted Rubana Huq's article about losing her loving husband. If not, here it is again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12:00 AM, December 13, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:10 PM, December 13, 2017
The Final Sky
the_final_sky.jpg

A view of the final sunset from the room of the UK hospital where Mayor Annisul Huq was seeking treatment. COURTESY: AUTHOR

Rubana Huq

Dart-throwing chimpanzees predict wars and economic collapses almost as good as super-forecasters who predict events much better than chance. Some say, it's easy for an intellect to know all forces that set nature in motion and hence, if we were to submit data to analysis, then the future would be as clear as our past and we would be able to predict time. While an early nineteenth-century astronomer Laplace grew confident about this omniscient demon predicting tomorrows, in the twentieth century, an American meteorologist, Edward Lorenz, contradicted it by saying that while it was possible to know when exactly it would rain by watching the water vapour coalesce around the dust particles, it was impossible to know how a particular cloud would develop or the shape it would take. While Laplace's forecasting demon can predict tides, eclipses or the phases of the moon, Lorenz punctured predictability by presenting a hypothesis of a massive rock bumping Earth off its orbit around the sun.

While many life insurance companies continue being in business by predicting disability and death by analysing someone's age and profile, gender, income and lifestyle, the human life still subscribes to clouds and not to clocks. Though algorithms are now cheap and more efficient than subjective judgment, and though today the world has travelled quite a way from IBM's Deep Blue beating Garry Kasparov to commercial chess programmes which beat humans in no time, we still don't know about our final hour and hence we remain forever unprepared to watch and live death.

My husband's death was one of impeccable timing. In media, with the many programmes that he anchored, he knew how to spot climax, maximise on love and then suddenly one fine morning, he would just decide to end the season. That is how Annisul Huq, the Mayor of Dhaka North City Corporation, decided on his last bow and left the audience in awe. Neither the doctors nor I ever thought that he would leave us this soon.

In spite of a biopsy, with his still inconclusive diagnosis of primary cerebral vasculitis, I watched my husband for the last four months disappear into a grey zone and then eventually embark on his final journey. The Queen Square hospital—the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery—with 500 neurologists, enjoys an impeccable reputation. They are meant to rescue brains and bring patients back to a more meaningful, dignified life. But with Annis's pre-existing condition of his blood vessels narrowing since mid-June, and with the strokes that he continued to suffer starting from end July, prognosis was gloomy. I felt drained responding to questions about whether he was in or out of the ICU and whether he was conscious.

As months went by, in desperation, I imagined a recovering Annis who would eventually require neurorehabilitation. I searched for different methods that could impact his consciousness level and stumbled upon a few fascinating books that explained the value of life and why it was important for me to believe that while he lay unconscious for almost the entire period, he was actually listening to all the news I was reading out to him, that he was actually aware of the music being played for him, that he actually knew that I was there right by his side, unwilling to let go of him.

"As for myself, towards the end, I had already prepared for the last page of the book that I thought would never end, and had grown a distaste for prophecies and miracles both. And, by the third week of November, I got ready to let go of my expectations, and listed my regrets, fights, tears et al.

My mind ran faster than it could. Could deep brain stimulation help? Could we look for extensive neurorehab? Could we shift him to a ward that would ensure safe transit to intensive care, if and when required? I looked for answers and met and consulted doctors who were mostly worried about my wellbeing and recommended a slower pace and shared that reality required me to slow down. At that point, little did I know that Annis's body would actually let go and refuse to be nursed; little did I know that this man, with whom I spent three decades, was too proud to be seen in a wheelchair and would rather go as a hero, always dressed in factory shirts and kurtas, sporting cheap watches and shoes without socks.

In the meantime, the doctors also told me that in spite of being as medically fit as he was, he would still have to fight his infections. They also predicted a few bumps along the road and said that he would often survive ICU trips and would return to the ward and then with time, his body may recover enough to make space for his brain to rest and even partially revive.

During the four months of Annis's hospitalisation, what became painfully clear was the inability of medicine to predict a definite outcome. Protocols were set, exceptions applied and yet, the words of the second-century physician Galen to Roman emperors rang in my ears: “All who drink of this treatment recover in a short time, except those whom it does not help, who all die.” While modern medicine takes pride in randomised trial experiments, cautious measurements and statistical strengths, it is perhaps the lack of doubt that causes medicine to fail in cases like my husband's.

As for myself, towards the end, I had already prepared for the last page of the book that I thought would never end, and had grown a distaste for prophecies and miracles both. And, by the third week of November, I got ready to let go of my expectations, and listed my regrets, fights, tears et al.

Finally, on November 30, 2017, his body caved in to sepsis in his lungs, unable to fight back as a result of intense immunosuppression. My children and I just prayed together, kissed Annis and watched him fall off the cliff, making that grand leap into the unknown. While we did that, we watched a wonderful sunset and the final sky through his window. Almost instantly, we knew that he would return to shore, somehow, someday. Maybe we'll spot his spirit in an emerging generation of dedicated public servants, setting the bar of expectation and performance higher. Maybe we'll spot him in a regular dad next door, in a regular cousin of his Noakhali clan, in an apologetic husband routinely forgetting anniversaries and birthdays, in a young businessman wanting to make a clean break, in a television anchor touching hearts, or maybe in any young pair of eyes drenched in dreams wanting to change things around.

Rubana Huq is managing director of Mohammadi Group.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom