What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

I'll be happy if we're in Thailand and possibly China/Malaysia's GDP rate (somewhere around $10,000 per capita, nominal not PPP) by 2040, but I reckon it'd take us at least 2045 or even 2050 to realistically get there.

I do hope I'm proven wrong however.
Depending on a single export product for growth I don’t see how this is a ironclad solution. We need to diversify

Depending on a single export product for growth I don’t see how this is a ironclad solution. We need to diversify

Well to say export diversification has not commenced or is not continuing would not be accurate.

However we can still say that the pace of export diversification is rather slow and I see this rapidly changing as soon as the half dozen larger new EPZ and SEZ's start functioning.

There are almost a hundred new EPZ and SEZ's being set up across the main transport corridors.

We already talked about the one considered the mother lode with multiple Billions in investment, BANGABANDHU SHEIKH MUJIB INDUSTRIAL CITY (30,000 acres). The zone will eventually have its own port facilities and power supply (initially 400 KV distribution by PGCB from National Power Grid, later a captive Power Station). Gas and Water utilities and distribution is in progress and implemented in the core industrial zone.

Zonefull_25Sept-716x1024.jpg

This news about BANGABANDHU SHEIKH MUJIB INDUSTRIAL CITY is from August 2020.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Construction work of Mirsarai Economic Zone is going on in full swing in Chattogram. This zone is one of the largest and most attractive economic zone in the Indian subcontinent with its own seaport.

Mirsarai Economic Zone styled as Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Shilpa Nagar, is being developed on an adjoining 30,000 acres of land stretching to Feni’s Sonagazi Upazila.

Mirsarai-Economic-Zone-Update
Figure: This zone is one of the largest and most attractive economic zone in the Indian subcontinent with its own seaport. Courtesy: Collected

Besides, an airport is being built along with the seaport to speed up the transport of goods.

So far, the project received around USD 15 billion investment proposals.

At present 11 factories are under construction. By 2021, 20 companies will start factory construction. Yabang Group will invest $1 billion in the allotted 100 acres of land.

One of the biggest conglomerates of Bangladesh, Bashundhara Group is setting up a factory on 500 acres of land.

This zone will serve as a major investment area for the garment sector – which is the backbone of Bangladesh’s economy.

This zone will serve as a major investment area for the garment sector – which is the backbone of Bangladesh’s economy.
Considering all the aspects, Bangladesh Economic Zones Authority (BEZA) is planning to add another 13,000 acres along with 30,000 acres.

These zones have special economic regulations that vary from the rest of Bangladesh. An entrepreneur can relish several facilities from authorities for setting up an industrial unit within it.

Mirsarai Economic Zone, the biggest industrial reserve and also Bangladesh’s first multi-sector economic zone, will be developed in some 30 phases.

As for the utility facilities, Bangladesh Water Development Board (BWDB) is constructing a coastal embankment (super dyke) and a slope protection embankment to defend the project area from flood, saline intrusion, erosion instigated by the tidal surge and natural disasters.

The Roads and Highways Department (RHD) is constructing an 18km-long motorable pavement and a 10km access road to the project area.

The Rural Electrification Board (REB) has already installed a power distribution line and a substation.

The Department of Public Health Engineering (DPHE) is sinking deep tube-wells and a water reservoir.

The Karnaphuli Gas Distribution Company Ltd (KGDCL) is working to upgrade an existing gas distribution network from 350 mmcfd to 500 mmcfd to facilitate adequate gas supply to bulk and industrial customers.

Last edited:
This is from 2016, dedicated location at Bangabandhu Industrial City for Chinese investors (316 hectares) were set up that early.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zone for Chinese investors to get foundation stone
Anwar Hussain, Chittagong
  • Published at 02:40 am October 14th, 2016
  • Last updated at 02:41 am October 14th, 2016
Zone for Chinese investors to get foundation stone

Ads

A feasibility study on the project and the acquisition of the 313.23 hectare land needed for the zone have already been completed.

Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Chinese President Xi Jinping are set to lay the foundation stone of the project, through a video conference in the capital today.

As per a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed on June 16 this year, state-owned firm China Harbour Engineering Company Ltd (CHEC) was appointed to develop the site, which is 39km from the Chittagong Port, 28km from Chittagong city and 46km from Shah Amanat International Airport.

“The zone will accommodate 150-200 industrial units including ship-building, pharmaceuticals, electronics, agro-based, IT, chemical, power and textile and textile accessories,” Bangladesh Economic Zones Authority (BEZA) Executive Chairman Paban Chowdhury told the Dhaka Tribune. “We hope that the first government-to-government initiative for establishing an exclusive economic zone will create a congenial business atmosphere for luring Chinese companies, generate employment and spur economic activities. “As per the agreement, Chinese investors will get preference in the economic zone. Other local and foreign can also invest,” he said.

Of the proposed land for the economic zone, 117.8 hectares belong to the government. The Chittagong district administration is working to acquire the rest from private land owners. The move to set up the zone was undertaken soon after Sheikh Hasina’s visit to China in 2014. In September last year, ECNEC approved the proposal for the Chinese economic and industrial zone.

“We have already handed over 291 acres of land to BEZA. Acquisition of the rest of the land from private land owners is under way. The mammoth project has already commenced with the construction of the main road to the site,” said Goutam Baroi, Upazila Nirbahi Officer of Anwara.

BEZA Executive Chairman Paban said that the establishment of the exclusive economic zone would be a milestone for Bangladesh and open up a new window of foreign investment opportunity for the country. He said that it would take minimum two years to complete the project.

Business community leaders expressed optimism that economic activities in Chittagong would get a boost through the establishment of the exclusive industrial zone. Moinuddin Ahmed, the first vice-president of BGMEA, told the Dhaka Tribune that the establishment of an exclusive economic zone in the region was the fulfilment of a long-felt demand. “It will definitely help achieve our export target of $50 billion by the end of 2021.

“High-tech industrialization has led to a serious labor crisis in China. Consequently, the cost of production has gone up due to wage hike. Perhaps China is now planning to relocate their labor-intensive industries to other low-wage countries like Bangladesh,” Moinuddin added.

More recent news of local Investment at BangaBandhu Industrial City. There are dozens of instances like this from local investors in non-Apparel sectors.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samuda Food to invest $205m at Bangabandhu Shilpa Nagar
Tribune Desk
  • Published at 12:38 pm September 29th, 2020
Samuda

BEZA Executive Chairman Paban Chowdhury chairs the agreement signing program at BEZA Office in the capital Courtesy

A lease agreement was signed on Monday in this regard between the Bangladesh Economic Zones Authority (BEZA) and Samuda Food Products Limited

Samuda Food Products Ltd, a sister concern of TK Group, will invest around $205.28 million to set up industrial units on 60 acres of land at the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Shilpa Nagar at Mirersarai in Chittagong.

A lease agreement was signed on Monday in this regard between the Bangladesh Economic Zones Authority (BEZA) and Samuda Food Products Limited.

BEZA executive member (investment development) M Abdul Mannan and Samuda Food Products managing director Mohammad Mostafa Haider signed the lease agreement on behalf of their respective sides at the BEZA office. BEZA Executive Chairman Paban Chowdhury chaired the lease agreement signing ceremony, said a press release.

According to the investment proposal of the Samuda Food Products Ltd, the company is planning to set up various types of chemical industry, consumer items and food processing plants at the Bangabandhu Shilpa Nagar which is expected to generate around 2,000 employment opportunities there.

There will be three units namely – edible refinery, caustic soda unit and seed crushing unit.

Speaking on the occasion, Paban Chowdhury said that BEZA is not only facilitating setting up of industries, but it is also working with various training organizations to build up sector-based necessary skilled manpower for this huge industrial city.

He said all kinds of necessary infrastructures have already been made visible at the Shilpa Nagar to set up industries while community-based accommodation facilities will be ensured at the Shilpa Nagar soon under the PRIDE Project supported by the World Bank.

The BEZA executive chairman also thanked the TK Group for their 2nd industrial initiative at the Bangabandhu Shilpa Nagar and also their overall 4th industrial initiative through BEZA.

@Bilal9 bhai. Do you remember that Bengali music band who makes some good English songs? Could you link me to them? Forgot their name

I'll try to find something...

But here are a few I know of who sing in English, for starters, in the alternative rock genre...lot of angst-fueled lyrics. :-)

Very vibrant scene, I must say...

Last edited:
Meanwhile Nemesis turns out great rock tunes in Bengali.

And there are some odd ones too, including these by MeghDol...

I'll try to find something...

But here are a few I know of who sing in English, for starters, in the alternative rock genre...lot of angst-fueled lyrics. :-)

Very vibrant scene, I must say...

Thanks bro. I was looking for eida. Two of their songs legit put me to sleep :)

Khoob bhalo thread.👍
Enjoy reading.

Always trust in the dhola ( bucket )

ডোল ভরা আশা আর কুলো ভরা ছাই।

With best wishes:

Bihari Ghoti Pola
From Geneva Camp/Beck Bagan ( guess where? )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom